• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#PS4NoDRM #XboxOneNoDRM || Now do you "Believe?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

I may be slighty incapacitate and hurts like hell to type but this tweet has got me riled up. A couple of months ago I got charge twice for my electrity bill and the company line was email them or use their webchat. Needless to say this got now where for near 3 days. So I decided to voice my displeasure on Twitter and low and behold was refunded within 3 hours. A letter in a private conversation where as a tweet the whole world can see.

Twitter can be a lot more powerful than people think. I had a similar issue with konamis Customer support. Emails seemed to get ignored. Tweeted and the issue was fixed ASAP. Like you said when the whole world can see what you posted it changes things.

I am not sure they are listening, but if they do then...

QXS1iC6FfHfSdYP.gif

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If this works anyone who gets mad at GAF for bitching owes us an apology. We're in a unique place to set this shit right before the consoles even come out and devs/publishers/console makers can find out if it'll hurt their wallets.

billsmugs

Free to play online will be on the PS4. It will have Playstation Plus again from premium services like demos, free games, discounts, early access etc.

I hope so, but quotes like this (from Yoshida in February):
He also skirted around the issue of region locking, which is disappointing.

Will online play remain free? “We totally believe that we want to provide more functionality and more services and more content on the network. And so we are looking at how we are going to structure that. And we are not ready to talk about that.”
and other stories, plus the fact that it hasn't been outright confirmed, have me a bit worried.

Sony has to see this will return them to PS2 dominance if they don't do used DRM now. Even America will return to 2000 for them. I don't see even hardcore Xbox fans going with the One if Sony doesnt follow this DRM stuff.

Honest question. Do you guys really think that Sony has the leverage to NOT do this and that third parties won't dictate that it exists?

Has been mentioned, anyone thinking Sony and Microsoft are blocking used games for the sake of the third parties are giving them too much credit. Chances are they are looking at blocking used games as a way for more $$$$$ for them.

hammster

Archbishop of Canterburny
Think we've peaked but if we can sustain at a consistent level until E3 that'd keep the pressure on.

edit: oh hey! i got tagged!

Godslay

Banned
Sony has to see this will return them to PS2 dominance if they don't do used DRM now. Even America will return to 2000 for them. I don't see even hardcore Xbox fans going with the One if Sony doesnt follow this DRM stuff.

Doubt it. Too much noise from other devices for a true return to 2000. I think that applies to every console manufacturer.

Iacobellis

Amen to that. We are close to being in the same situation as that same generation. Wii U is selling poorly and the One is very American-focused like the original Xbox was.

ironcreed

Banned

Regardless, this opportunity is like a gift from the gods. They would be absolutely nuts not to capitalize on it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

and other stories, plus the fact that it hasn't been outright confirmed, have me a bit worried.

That quote seems like it was on the table to be behind a paywall but not decided yet. I'm sure there will be substantial features you need to pay for (share, stream, cloud storage, Plus) but I expect online play, browser, access to streaming services to remain in the basic package. I could also see them putting ads on the free version.

Boke1879

Under 600 tweets per hour. It got a huge drop: http://www.hashtags.org/analytics/PS4NoDRM/

It is expected that this will kind of slowly fizzle out, but that doesn't mean the regulars should not stop tweeting a couple of times a day.

Also remember. It's a Holiday. Most people are with families.

We've done our duty. We've spread this as much as we can. Hopefully later in the day more people pick up on this and help out. The big thing we can take away from all of the is that Sony HAS to be paying attention now. The fact that we got tweets back from Sony employees shows that.

Doran902

All i know is if the next generation expects me to drop 59.99 on a new game with a 6 hour campaign and i can't lend the game to a friend or my brother without them having to pay a fee or me losing my rights to the game then I will be buying way fewer games.

Everyone is doing an awesome job.

Im going to write a letter, ps1 was my first console that i got when i was 6 years old and don't want them to change to the dark side. Stick with your fanbase and your fanbase will stick with you.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Europe is going to bed and america is on a holiday. Well, Europe was always going to be more serious about this anyways...

I am also sure the outcry was loud enough to be heard everywhere. People will continue to take note of it.

televator

I haven't participated because...I don't understand Twitter. I don't fucking get it. I don't even know how to read it, let alone write with it. I just see a lot of these things - "@so-and-so's-name".

Hahahaha! This is so me. I don't get twitter at all! Like where does one tweet and how do others receive tweets? How do I shot web?

As for free online play, they probably want to save some of the good stuff for E3. Whatever happens I think MS will have a strong E3 with the exclusive games and more publisher partnerships, so Sony will want to save a few gems like continuation of free online rather than reveal important info like that in an interview.

Just tweeted to the three new Twitters in the OP. That's 7 people I've tweeted so far. :)

I love that this is getting traction and getting noticed by the gaming media.

Yes? What leverage do third parties have? 'Look I'm not gonna release games on your platform and I'm going to go bankrupt instead!'

I'm not sure that correlation exists though. The number of consumers that probably really care about the DRM on XBO is probably very small. Look at the installed base of 360, which is, at minimum, over 75 million. The number of people currently petitioning Sony is likely a fraction of a percent of that.

Third parties want a piece of that used game pie, and I'm sure first parties would be A-OK getting part of it too. If anything, I wouldn't expect Sony to tell third parties "No" but instead, at minimum, tow the line they already said, which is they're going to leave that decision in the hands of the publishers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom