• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#PS4NoDRM #XboxOneNoDRM || Now do you "Believe?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The third party tweet link in the letter does mostly feature the generic accounts of EA, Ubisoft et al, but also @TheAlanJohnson who is Activision PR.

If anyone knows of personal accounts of other higher up third party people, I'd love to include them.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Wow, Kotaku makes an affirmative statement in the header based on a rumor. Definition of shitty journalism.

One way or another no used games is going to happen. It is already a reality on tablets, smartphones and the PC. Given the hacker studied x86 architectures of both the PS4 and the X1, DRM of some sort is inevitable and even advisable. Microsoft got a lot of rage for a poorly messaged and clunky reveal of its DRM system but Sony will follow suite in a better managed reveal of its system for the same. One thing obvious to me for this new generation is that MS and Sony seem to be cooperating on a lot of things, at least implicitly via the publishers. The similar architectures of the systems was no coincidence and I imagine similar digital rights on both systems will be a given as well.

IMHO a more elegant bridge to a DD future would be to separate digital and physical game copies. Make physical copies of next generation games cost $70 but they would have the same resale rights and disc based DRM as the current generation. DD copies would cost $50 but they would be tied to a single account at all times. The platform holders would then message the heck out of it so everybody understands this. Over time MS and Sony could study the physical/dd split and when it reaches some sort of tipping point, discontinue the physical model in the most mature markets.

I don't even...

b8dXflF.png

Why the fuck?

Carl

How amazing would it be if Sony mentioned this campaign in their E3 conference?

If they decide not to implement it, i wouldn't be surprised if they mentioned they had "done what the fans have asked" or something along those lines

Let's not get tied up with TB again guys, we don't want this thread locked.

If it's what causes them to stick to the rumored stance of turning against this DRM, then they should absolutely mention it. It'd probably get a bigger round of applause than any game or any other announcement that they'll make at that conference.

Online communities would be Sony land for a decade. PlayStation Plus signup increase, heck, you might even see an uptick in Vita sales.

Biscuit got blown up. How embarrassing for him.

I'm throwing out about one tweet an hour so and spreading them across all developers and stuff with a simple message why it's bad like less sales on DLC etc. Made a twitter account just for this movement.

Its nice to see Sony people responding positively to users concerns.

Really curious how they get themselves out of this one. The only ways out I see are A. Ditch DRM and make a few hundred people on the internet happy and piss off every 3rd party that has been begging them for it for years potentially costing them developer support and dooming the platform or B. Keep DRM but massage it to be a little more user friendly then xbox's solution and try and have decent messaging about it and not the clusterfuck coming out of MS.

Odiously B is probably the common sense solution but Sony have been so good at doing what the internet tells them recently that it might come back and bite them in the ass here since from the sounds of things PS4's DRM policy is a relatively recent thing and still in flux and can be changed unlike X1's which was probably set in stone years ago.

When they do announce what there plan is they really need to be clear about it unlike Microsoft. Cant stress that enough. They better bring the PR A game when they reveal it.

Amir0x

Banned
man i hope this really does meaningfully change any negative strategy they were thinking of

i am not convinced this will help but if they confirm a standard system infrastructure in place ala PS3, I'll be so relieved. At least one more generation of quality gaming before the end, at least :(

Pistolero

Bless you GAF. I had heard a lot of things about this forum before joining the ranks 7 years ago, and never looked back since I was accepted in.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Thank you friend. I'll have to come to London soon!

No problem, this topic gets me fired up quite a bit, similar to the bullshit that was happening in the EU Nintendo eShop which they eventually fixed (no more time restrictions to view M rated games). I hope we can raise a glass to a good start of another console race ;).

Mononoke

Banned
EDIT:

Don't want to get banned for talking about he who should not be named. Anyways, major props to famousmortimer for getting this thing started. You are a saint. :)

thumb

Banned
Its nice to see Sony people responding positively to users concerns.

Really curious how they get themselves out of this one. The only ways out I see are A. Ditch DRM and make a few hundred people on the internet happy and piss off every 3rd party that has been begging them for it for years potentially costing them developer support and dooming the platform or B. Keep DRM but massage it to be a little more user friendly then xbox's solution and try and have decent messaging about it and not the clusterfuck coming out of MS.

What I'm hoping is that they find creative ways to help with the problem. Considering the following:

1. A system-level achievement for every game you buy "new".

2. An opportunity for gamers who buy a used version to "support the developer" by buying unique avatars, wallpapers, and so on with funds that go directly to the developer and also earn the player a system-level achievement.

In other words, instead of burdening used games with DRM, positively reward behavior that supports developers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom