• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#PS4NoDRM #XboxOneNoDRM || Now do you "Believe?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

sestrugen

Haha, TotalBiscuit's just been shown up to be an idiot there, when even Sony employees are disagreeing with his tweets you know he's in the wrong.

He seems very worked up about this for some reason, outright insulting anyone involved with it (including FamousMortimer). I wonder though - where would he be without the internet and the power of social media? Oh yeah, nowhere.

Dunno what's up with TB today. He was being rather supportive of DRM and killing used games in an earlier video too.

Money%20Hat%20-%20B.jpg

or

just an idiot

Its nice to see Sony people responding positively to users concerns.

Really curious how they get themselves out of this one. The only ways out I see are A. Ditch DRM and make a few hundred people on the internet happy and piss off every 3rd party that has been begging them for it for years potentially costing them developer support and dooming the platform or B. Keep DRM but massage it to be a little more user friendly then xbox's solution and try and have decent messaging about it and not the clusterfuck coming out of MS.

Odiously B is probably the common sense solution but Sony have been so good at doing what the internet tells them recently that it might come back and bite them in the ass here since from the sounds of things PS4's DRM policy is a relatively recent thing and still in flux and can be changed unlike X1's which was probably set in stone years ago.

When they do announce what there plan is they really need to be clear about it unlike Microsoft. Cant stress that enough. They better bring the PR A game when they reveal it.

Or do the third option and offer a digital market that is more attractive than buying physical copies of hardware. When people bring up Steam as DRM, they tend to omit the fact that while you might be giving up some of your rights but the convenience it brings in every way cannot be stated hard enough. Same goes for things like the iOS store.

They're already kind of doing this with PS+, which is basically a place where publishers offload games that don't sell very well. I have no idea about the economics of PS+ but I imagine it gives people a taste of IPs they would probably never touch. Its a creative way to encourage people to interact with Sony's digital marketplace without actively forcing them to do so.

Carl

Guys, Bish already came in once and said to move on from that guy, so let's not talk about him :)

Anyone got any other places we can promote this?

SykoTech

Man, this has spread like wildfire. So glad. Stuff like this is the reason I still come to GAF unlike all the other message boards I used to post on.

Though looking at the OP, I guess there's more outreaching to do than there was last night.

Sophia

While this is true, NO ONE in here should take it for any more than it is - An acknowledgement with a positive tone for us gamers speaking out. In no way confirmation of their plans.

I don't think anyone seriously is. Still, as I said on twitter, it means the message hasn't gone unheard.

While this is true, NO ONE in here should take it for any more than it is - An acknowledgement with a positive tone for us gamers speaking out. In no way confirmation of their plans.

I think the majority, if not all of us just take it as they are supporting our "movement" and it's being heard. Nothing more motivating to continue than seeing that.

Touch

man i hope this really does meaningfully change any negative strategy they were thinking of

i am not convinced this will help but if they confirm a standard system infrastructure in place ala PS3, I'll be so relieved. At least one more generation of quality gaming before the end, at least :(
depressing. At least it would give us time to prepare for the end. maybe even enough to get a new bigger better plan of action working. most likely not though :(

Still 6-7 mores years of quality is better than none.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
What's the GAF policy on sharing our own twitter accounts? I'd like to follow everyone in here.

Solal

I think Sony is going to play it smart...which is: leave the choice to the publishers. if they want to put a paywall for their games (or one of...) they will be proposed a technical solution to be able to.

But the decision won't be on Sony...

That would force everyone take his responsabilities. No boycott for Sony, boycott for publishers who make the wrong choice.

Stuart444

I think Sony is going to play it smart...which is: leave the choice to the publishers. if they want to put a paywall for their games (or one of...) they will be proposed a technical solution to be able to.

That would force everyone take his responsabilities. No boycott for Sony, boycott for publishers who make the wrong choice.

Exactly and I'm sure the big pubs will do it, the smaller ones won't.

All it means is, I'd buy less AAA games which I'm fine with if they choose to do the wrong thing with this.

Has there being any response for Sony yet?

Not on the topic other than we are being heard. I don't expect there to be until E3. Would be awesome if it was before now but just isn't realistic.

It's not just this... I dont think there will be any specifics on anything between now and e3... other than some trailers for some games to keep a bit of hype going.

Christhor

Which might just be a great strategy for themselves. If they decide to not have any of this DRM in their own games, then they might get more potential fans of their games since people will need to fill the new room they have after boycotting the big publishers. It could work out very well for them.

grumble

Seems more fair to me.

Frankly the idea of fairly aggressive pricing on consoles combined with MUCH better discovery could be a solution that's pro-consumer and possibly just as profitable. Online purchases already can't be resold.

Carl

Exactly. But all we were trying to do in the first place (as i understood it) was get our voices heard within Sony. So we've certainly achieved what we set out to achieve.

Lots of people within Sony have now seen what people don't want, and these people are pretty high up. I'd be surprised if they didn't have discussions about it, on some level at least. If Mortimer's sources are right, and they were leaning toward scrapping the DRM anyway, this may be the push they needed.

But in the end, we achieved what we set out to achieve. All we can do now is continue to let out voice be heard, and hope it makes an impact.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I didn't know if anyone tweeted them or not yet.

Patrick tweeted-
Tip to those pressuring Sony on used games: these changes are happening due to third parties. EA, Activision, Ubisoft, etc. They want this.

So while Microsoft deserves flack for having wishy washy answers, know the real reason it's happening is because of other companies.
Expand
Patrick Klepek Patrick Klepek ‏@patrickklepek 2h

Other GB crew haven't, but its a holiday so I don't imagine they will.

waypoetic

Banned
I guess Patrick Klepeck will write a news story about it and he will probably misinterpret the whole thing.

EDIT: read his tweet. Apparently he gets it.

llehuty

What I'm hoping is that they find creative ways to help with the problem. Considering the following:

1. A system-level achievement for every game you buy "new".

2. An opportunity for gamers who buy a used version to "support the developer" by buying unique avatars, wallpapers, and so on with funds that go directly to the developer and also earn the player a system-level achievement.

In other words, instead of burdening used games with DRM, positively reward behavior that supports developers.

This is actually a nice idea.

Tip to those pressuring Sony on used games: these changes are happening due to third parties. EA, Activision, Ubisoft, etc. They want this.

So while Microsoft deserves flack for having wishy washy answers, know the real reason it's happening is because of other companies.
Expand
Patrick Klepek Patrick Klepek ‏@patrickklepek 2h

Obvious and correct. Since they have no control over the PC they must take control over something. Consoles.

Sophia

What I'm hoping is that they find creative ways to help with the problem. Considering the following:

1. A system-level achievement for every game you buy "new".

2. An opportunity for gamers who buy a used version to "support the developer" by buying unique avatars, wallpapers, and so on with funds that go directly to the developer and also earn the player a system-level achievement.

In other words, instead of burdening used games with DRM, positively reward behavior that supports developers.

Positively rewarding people has always been a better tactic then enforcing awful DRM strategies. It's why Steam works as well as it does.

Imagine if anytime you bought a game new you got a code to link it to your account (allowing you and only you to install 'n play without the disc) as well as a trophy for buying new? The disc behaves as it always has, but you as a consumer are given an extra reward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom