• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#PS4NoDRM #XboxOneNoDRM || Now do you "Believe?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MFPSN

Neo Member
Both the person who started it and the sentiment of this thread really make it the epitome of the Internet.

All I will say is, is you think publishers are going to be happy with only having 1 platform holder have some form of DRM that allows them to recoup money from used games sales, you are all astoundingly naive.

#therealworld #growup #gamesareexpensive

You're correct. Games are expensive, which is why people share them and rent them. Not everyone has the income to buy every game they want to play. They will make plenty of extra money on DLC's and add-ons. Plus games this gen are going to go up in price, to 70$. That isn't exactly easy to afford, especially when Sony launch will have a bunch of great games.

dude819

Yeah, this is a topic that is trying to do something positive and you are shitting all over it.

But, let's not derail things.

I am just being realistic. And you all should be too.

The great and lauded Steam started this and MS AND Sony are going to follow suit.

Brace yourselves for reality.

actually nods and winks is enough to get them, as long as there is evidence of some concludent cooperation (which does not have to include communication) between them and their actions and behaviour can be related to a common goal regarding their common marketplace

Yes I know, but it would be difficult to prove that they didn't just come to the same conclusions independently if it's just nods and winks. Any contract that basically fixes the market for higher game ASPs would lead to massive fines for all parties and would not be easily defended.

Takuya

Banned
I hope you are not serious. If you think Microsoft is bringer of evil when it comes to anti-consumerism, you should go read on Sony history of DRM implementations and various anti-consumer tactics. From their shitty trojan music DRM, proprietary storage device, proprietary disc format, pioneering of on-line pass just to name a few.

I have no love for Microsoft new DRM scheme, nor did I ever enjoy Steam or Blizzard implementations (though seems much of NeoGAF are all OK with Steam who essentially initiate this on-line activation DRM, anti-consumer scheme in the first place).

In what world is there only one evil? This one is the current target and is the target of this campaign. I don't see what's wrong with that.

Midou

Would be funny if Sony never planned to do this stuff and is just like 'yeah we're listening ;)' as a way to get free positive publicity.

Microsoft have played their hand with their anti consumer bs and jumping into bed with the most reviled videogame publisher in the world.

Sony need to distance themselves from this and forge new partnerships with other, better publishers

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
You are part of the astoundingly naive contingent.

Why would a platform holder be the one to push DRM? It doesn't really benefit them all that much in the long run.

This is being pushed by publishers. MS is just doing it at the system level.

Do you think EA got rid of the online passes because they are swell guys?

#gameBUSINESS
Yet games like Watch Dogs are also being released on the Wii U. Go try and derail another thread.

Both the person who started it and the sentiment of this thread really make it the epitome of the Internet.

All I will say is, is you think publishers are going to be happy with only having 1 platform holder have some form of DRM that allows them to recoup money from used games sales, you are all astoundingly naive.

#GetOut

Carl

I am friends with Sony's PlayStation VP in Canada on facebook. Been talking with the guy for around 15 years now through an old message board we used to visit, but now we talk on Facebook.

Anyway, I run a gaming group there that he's a member of. This morning I posted the GAF thread, the open letter site, and some general twitter stuff on the page for the gaming group.

Dude rolls in and responds to the GAF link:

Made me feel good.

Sorry, but I don't want to give out his name for fear of seeing him bombarded with messages. Still wanted to share though. Let's keep it up!

That's great stuff. Although we kind of already knew.

Guys, all we set out to do in the first place was to get our voices heard by Sony. FM's source said they were undecided on their stance - we wanted to make our voices heard to try and encourage them to do what's right. And we've achieved that. And i think we can be proud of ourselves for that :)

We got our voices heard within Sony, which is great.

I mean, don't stop or anything... But as long as we have a steady stream of tweets now, that's all we need. It blew up to such an extent that it got their attention, which is what matters :)

Would be funny if Sony never planned to do this stuff and is just like 'yeah we're listening ;)' as a way to get free positive publicity.

That would be too wonderful of course if they didn't intend this in the first place. :D
But this is unclear, and that's why we're doing what we're doing.

Alright im out of work and back in action. Ill be updating the OP shortly with the new items since last night (and I think i missed a few during the day as well) after I have some oatmeal. #oatmeal

In regards to a couple things I see popping up from time to time I would caution that just copying and pasting a tweet isn't particularly effective. Not only does it get ignored by the person its going to, it stops being tracked by most meaningful tools.

Also last night it seemed like some people were in harass mode which is counter intuitive. Sony has been quiet but they haven't technically done anything wrong yet. Politeness is key. If they end up making the wrong decisions that's the time to rage, if that's a thing you do.

It seemed like this thing was petering out last night and europe came through and gave it new life. You guys are awesome.

Stuart444

Well just finished making a new post on my facebook about it. Including the new website + Gofreaks open letter website + the statistics mentioned (that people from multiple pubs, SCEE, etc are reading it).

Might as well try and get people optimistic enough to join in. :)

I am just being realistic. And you all should be too.

The great and lauded Steam started this and MS AND Sony are going to follow suit.

Brace yourselves for reality.

I don't like to pull the big business card too often, but I can tell you now as an employee (relatively high up the food chain) of a multi-billion dollar company that if there was a very public campaign against us that was targeted at key executives we would probably have a look at what was being said. If the argument was sound then it would make a difference.

Sony are in it to make money, and if their target market is telling them directly that their current path is the wrong one then it doesn't surprise me that people in SCE are taking notice. It's been confirmed by Sony employees and by others that the message is being heard at the right levels.

RpgN

Hello everyone, looks like I have a lot of reading to do before helping out again. Also it looks like Cliffy spoke a lot of shit while I was gone (read up to page 60). He changed so quickly after he left Epic. I guess those were always his true thoughts but he hid them to sell his games on Gaf.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Posting from the other thread. With regards to expanding this campaign to include tweeting Microsoft:

I think people need a bit of perspective here. As playstation fans, it is in our best interest to support all aspects of this cause. If MS's business practice gains universal acceptance and proves to be any measure of success, you will see other companies adopt it over time, due to pressure from publishers if not anything else. while it may be effective on one hand, Simply "voting with your wallet" is not proactive. Speak up.

So, I would encourage people to leave their fanboy leanings at the door--like a political issue, this affects you, whether you are invested in the platform or not.

If Microsoft's mixed messages and muddled responses prove anything, it's that this policy is NOT yet finalized or written in stone. We know there is a measure of conflict within the company regarding the issue of online checks and the like, so now is the time to capitalize on that.

I've cast my support for all four hash tags at this point, and on FB. Hopefully, is will continue to gain momentum as an industry-wide movement, not one limited to a single company's policies.

I'm quoting this because it needs to be said again.

It is in the best interest of all gamers to not have either Sony or Microsoft employ this tactic... or at least continue to second guess the strategy.

Alright im out of work and back in action. Ill be updating the OP shortly with the new items since last night (and I think i missed a few during the day as well) after I have some oatmeal. #oatmeal

In regards to a couple things I see popping up from time to time I would caution that just copying and pasting a tweet isn't particularly effective. Not only does it get ignored by the person its going to, it stops being tracked by most meaningful tools.

Also last night it seemed like some people were in harass mode which is counter intuitive. Sony has been quiet but they haven't technically done anything wrong yet. Politeness is key. If they end up making the wrong decisions that's the time to rage, if that's a thing you do.

It seemed like this thing was petering out last night and europe came through and gave it new life. You guys are awesome.

Europeans care about consumer rights. :D

Also, add the tumblr page to the OP.

http://ps4nodrm.tumblr.com/

hammster

Archbishop of Canterburny

Well, if they never planned to do this they DESERVE free positive publicity in the face of their significant competitor pandering to publishers with this pish.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Just wanted to echo this. Be smart, clever, and assertive but also be polite. If we don't get seen as internet crybabies the chances of getting our voices heard skyrockets.

The thread has 423,046 views so far. I wonder if we'll hit 500,000.

We will even hit... 1 Million!
Dr.Evil_1millionDollars.png

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

The other half of that being funny is that GAF will totally take credit for no drm/used-game blocking policies regardless :p

Lynn616

I'm convinced agreements have long been in place with all major publishers and Sony, MS regarding DRM. If Sony pull the plug on their DRM solution it will cause all manner of issues. MS will either ask publishers for exclusives or they will pull DRM from the system. For DRM on consoles to work they (MS SONY) needs a system that is in balance between the two companies. One company doing it and the other not was never going to be a solution for publishers, they either both do it or neither of them do it. My guess both have been long signed up to a solution and no manner of screaming from core gamers will change anything.

I agree. I think these decisions were made already.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Huh, I didn't even realize that copy/pasted tweets wouldn't be tracked. I think I did a few. Won't make that mistake when I tweet today.

Salaadin

Hello everyone, looks like I have a lot of reading to do before helping out again. Also it looks like Cliffy spoke a lot of shit while I was gone (read up to page 60). He changed so quickly after he left Epic. I guess those were always his true thoughts but he hid them to sell his games on Gaf.

I think Cliff just likes to play devils advocate. Nothing wrong with that but its best for us to just ignore it.

EuroGAF has performed admirably. Time for team USA to keep the momentum alive.

The sophomore slump. We cannot have it.

Yeah. Major props to Euro Gaf. I went to bed last night thinking this thing would have fizzled out overnight. I was wrong.

The other half of that being funny is that GAF will totally take credit for no drm/used-game blocking policies regardless :p

Sony never planned this but comes out looking like they listened to their fans and care about them. Gaf looks like they made a huge difference in the future of gaming. Win-win. ;)

Gold Member

#letsdonothingthen

Voicing your opinion on this is better than doing nothing even if it turns out to be pointless. Companies need to know how we feel, even if they choose to ignore it.

MFPSN

Neo Member
I am in the US, but have to admit that the UK goes hard on twitter. Some of my favorite followers are from the UK and they seem very passionate about this.

I think positive reinforcement will help this thing grow. When we hear Sony is listening it makes us believe we are possibly making a difference. Thanks for all the updates and thanks again to everyone who has been tweeting, posting on facebook, etc.

Zabka

You are part of the astoundingly naive contingent.

Why would a platform holder be the one to push DRM? It doesn't really benefit them all that much in the long run.

This is being pushed by publishers. MS is just doing it at the system level.

Do you think EA got rid of the online passes because they are swell guys?

#gameBUSINESS

Why wouldn't they benefit as much as a publisher? They sell games just like anyone else and on top of that they get platform royalties for every new game sold from third parties.

Amir0x

Banned

What in the world does 'games being expensive' have to do with stopping these anti-consumer measures? Who gives a shit what publishers are happy with, they're fucking asstards who are on board with this shit too. Fuck 'em all.

RpgN

The thread has 423,046 views so far. I wonder if we'll hit 500,000.

We definitely will. The question remains wether we will hit a million, 2 or possibly more!

I think Cliff just likes to play devils advocate. Nothing wrong with that but its best for us to just ignore it.

Yeah. Major props to Euro Gaf. I went to bed last night thinking this thing would have fizzled out overnight. I was wrong.

Okay, will do. Sorry for bringing it up again.

No, the real world is about supply and demand, and this is an industry that wants to control both pricing and consumption at the same time because they don't want to live in the real world.

If this is the future of MS and Sony's console endeavors, I'm out unless they change course.

You all can think I'm full of shit, call me paranoid about letting corporations have an "eye" in my living room, or call me a criminal for not wanting to pay more than a new game is worth to me, but just like is true for you is true for me - it's my money and my business.

All any of us will do is make a value judgement, weigh the pros and cons, and act accordingly. For me, that means I won't support these practices with my money. If you want to, that's your business. If it doesn't work out for you or the industry, so be it. If it's the best thing that ever happened to you and the industry, so be it.

Either way, we all get the future only some of us deserved.

It never hurts to try bro.

and if you read the OP...you'd know he states that Sony is in fact wavering on this...so maybe this will be the push they needed to not go ahead with it.

The PS4 will have some DRM. The PS3 has some. We don;t want the overly restrictive system proposed by Microsofy to be the norm. That's all. Sony alreasy "promised" not always online requirements, so they are half way there honestly.

but regardless of if this is pointless or not...entering threads with the single goal of shitting on dreams (no matter how naive) is pretty childish.

#growup? really?

also no shit this is a buisness...so is the movie industry and many others...they don't do this shit to their customers.

and for the love of god...STOP BRINGING UP STEAM. It isn't the same.

I am in the US, but have to admit that the UK goes hard on twitter. Some of my favorite followers are from the UK and they seem very passionate about this.

I think positive reinforcement will help this thing grow. When we hear Sony is listening it makes us believe we are possibly making a difference. Thanks for all the updates and thanks again to everyone who has been tweeting, posting on facebook, etc.

We basically live on our mobiles

which makes the whole xbox one philosophy seem really strange. The main way we consume TV is iplayer and other on demand services.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I agree. I think these decisions were made already.

I think so too. But IF the policies are customisable and opt-in/opt-out by publishers, there's wiggle room for consumer lobbying. And there's room for SCE to take a leadership role on it as platform holder and say they're not going to use it for their own games.

IF it is a universal, mandated policy for all games, signed into contracts, then there's not so much wiggle room, and I'd hate to be the PR people dealing with this at E3 :)

Moofers

Another short exchange between myself and my friend mentioned ealier:

Me: Every time somebody at Sony at least acknowledges the outpouring over this from fans, we all get excited. We're used to shouting and pleading, but not really used to being heard. I hope its understood how much of a huge win this could be if we all hear what we want to at E3 this year. I imagine a world of total PlayStation dominance. Very glad to know your people are tuned into this whole thing!

My friend: I was a fan long before I ever held a job in this industry. I still spend 20+ hours a week gaming. Believe me, you're being heard. Less than two weeks to E3, keep shouting because we love the passion!

Hard to imagine they'd want us to keep at it if they only had bad news for us. I suspect there must be some kind of talks with publishers that's been ongoing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom