• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#PS4NoDRM #XboxOneNoDRM || Now do you "Believe?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is true, Activision has always been great for consumer rights, I think it's the COD hate spillover. Here's a quote by Bobby Kotick from 2010:

F***! I've never owned a Activision game. Looks like I need to start supporting them. Any way to tweet this ti Activision? I just want to thank them for not pushing the anti-consumer BS. That is quite a surprise to me!

artist

Banned
We are at ~22k tweets in 36 hrs. That has consistently outnumbered more general hashtags like ps4, playstation, xbox, xbone, xboxone.

Stike

Edit: I think we want to avoid Pirate party MEPs though. That's a can of worms we probably don't want to open.
I am a member of the German Pirate party and just feel like stressing the fact that we are NOT promoting piracy. It is illegal to copy copyrighted material without permission etc. you know all this. We are however promoting open licenses and open access. Also, we are on the consumer side concerning DRM, so this story here is definitely supported by us.

The Pirate party is NOT a bunch of kids who want to copy everything for free, if that's what the general public (still?) serms to believe.

Sorry for being off topic, if you want to discuss details or want to comment, do not reply here, send me a direct message! Thanks!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Finally tweeted.

Corto

Today's fine case example of "The lack of compassion and understanding for other human beings" and "doesn't get it":

Don't waste your time and energy with people that so blatantly show that don't understand the problem or are not sympathetic to it. They won't be swayed in no matter what.

antitrop

Bingo - he's not worth your attention at all.
He is, though. I follow him and interact with him because I'm a fan and a long-time subscriber of his YouTube channel and his work with the StarCraft II community.

He's just completely out of touch on this one.

My biggest problem I suppose is that he only thinks this is about used games and not why global DRM on a video game console is a bad idea and not the same as a PC.

The Pirate party is NOT a bunch of kids who want to copy everything for free, if that's what the general public (still?) serms to believe.

Probably has something to do with having pirate in the name of the party. I mean that doesn't really do you any favors.

Afrit

I really feel positive about this campaign. Thank you everyone.

- The new Sony is more likely to listen. The fact that they listened to devs request and increased the ram, I think it was unprecedented for Sony. According to the reports, they were contemplating but devs and rivalry with ms pushed them. There is a chance that they would listen to their consumers this time.

- Reading some of their vague reactions on twitter actually gave me more hope. Especially Adam Boyes reply to TB as I read it -at least in my head- as "keep pushing us, don't get discouraged by others, there is still hope" though he can't say it out right.

yurinka

Additional ones from Spain (they basically mention the Twitter campaign and the replies from the Sony guys):
Meristation: http://www.meristation.com/playstat...a-prohibicion-a-la-segunda-mano/44672/1867990
Vida Extra: http://www.vidaextra.com/ps4/vuelven-los-rumores-sobre-un-drm-de-sony-para-los-juegos-de-ps4
Vandal: http://www.vandal.net/noticia/13506...s-que-piden-que-ps4-no-bloquee-juegos-usados/

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
My twitter got suspended for sending the open letter tweet haha

Yeah, there were a few cases like this yesterday too. Twitter can be sensitive, especially about new users, and tweeting links and hashtags.

If anyone is tweeting, don't overdo it, and even better, try to customise tweets. You can even leave out the link to the letter if you want to fit in more - the message is more important. I've seen a lot more people lately customising the tweets from the links on the open letter, which is great.

turnbuckle

that, but especially not being able to play 'offline' with games like PSN Final Fight.
I recall that causing a pretty big stink and Capcom didn't implement that policy beyond that game, from what I recall.

Didn't they also do the same for Bionic Commando II? Unless something changed I didn't know about. It's the only reason I didn't buy it.

- edit -

Also tweeted. I don't use Twitter often but it doesn't hurt, right?

antitrop

I'm a PC gamer with no intentions of buying a next-gen console any time soon (new GPU next year instead!), but at least I can understand why DRM on a console is a poor idea. I can certainly relate experiences in my own life in the past where I wouldn't have been able to play video games had the game console implemented any sort of online-connected DRM whatsoever.

I can accept DRM for Steam and PC, but video game consoles should be a bit more "accessible" than a PC. It's just a terrible idea and sets a dangerous precedent for the industry, I support this effort wholeheartedly even without my own personal situation being tremendously impacted by it.

Gold Member
By the way - did anyone tweet Rory Cellan-Jones? BBC's technology correspondent. @BBCRoryCJ is his professional account, @ruskin147 is his personal account. Don't spam the guy, just ask him.
I just did, I follow the tech section on BBC quite avidly using their app's. Hopefully he will respond.

On an unrelated note I just got a temp ban from twitter for adding multiple users to tweets :( I've only sent 6 tweets lol

sakipon

I'm a PC gamer with no intentions of buying a next-gen console any time soon (new GPU next year instead!), but at least I can understand why DRM on a console is a poor idea, and I can certainly relate experiences in my own life in the past where I wouldn't have been able to play video games had the game console implemented any sort of online-connected DRM whatsoever.

I can accept DRM for Steam and PC, but video game consoles should be a bit more "accessible" than a PC. It's just a terrible idea and sets a dangerous precedent for the industry, I support this effort wholeheartedly even without my own personal situation being tremendously impacted by it.

I agree. I don't see why two different systems couldn't co-exist for different audiences.

Riptwo

I'm really glad that this campaign is getting the attention that it is, and I hope that it accomplishes its goal. That being said, I asked Tak Fuji (via twitter) what his thoughts were on Microsoft's seemingly aggressive stance against used games, and he replied:

"Nothing. All games will be F2P soon."

Not the answer that I was expecting, but it was still pretty funny.

RPGCrazied

So people that buy used games are ripping off the developers? I don't think I like that guy. I buy used to yes, save money. I can not afford to drop $60 on every new game I want day 1. People with bigger pockets can probably toot a different horn.

Lots of lower/middle class play video games, shouldn't be just for the rich.

I'm a PC gamer with no intentions of buying a next-gen console any time soon (new GPU next year instead!), but at least I can understand why DRM on a console is a poor idea. I can certainly relate experiences in my own life in the past where I wouldn't have been able to play video games had the game console implemented any sort of online-connected DRM whatsoever.

I completely agree with you. And yes, TB is completely out of touch on this one. But he won't change his stance on it. Never. And we should just leave him behind, hoping that his army won't sabotage our efforts, and move on.

antitrop

I'm really glad that this campaign is getting the attention that it is, and I hope that it accomplishes its goal. That being said, I asked Tak Fuji (via twitter) what his thoughts were on Microsoft's seemingly aggressive stance against used games, and he replied:

"Nothing. All games will be F2P soon."

Not the answer that I was expecting, but it was still pretty funny.

Tak Fuji is my bro. Love that guy, his Twitter feed is hilarious.

Carl

I just did, I follow the tech section on BBC quite avidly using their app's. Hopefully he will respond.

On an unrelated note I just got a temp ban from twitter for adding multiple users to tweets :( I've only sent 6 tweets lol

Nice one.

And yeah they're really iffy on new accounts. I'd have been banned ages ago if i wasn't a member for 3 years i guess, lol.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So people that buy used games are ripping off the developers? I don't think I like that guy. I buy used to yes, save money. I can not afford to drop $60 on every new game I want day 1. People with bigger pockets can probably toot a different horn.

Lots of lower/middle class play video games, shouldn't be just for the rich.

It's really crazy why some people think publishers and platform holders deserve a cut from second hand sales. I just can't wrap my head around that. Is there any other industry where this kind of viewpoint is prevalent?

MFPSN

Neo Member
Today's fine case example of "The lack of compassion and understanding for other human beings" and "doesn't get it":

1njl2Ng.jpg

pfnPWmb.jpg

Snooty sumbitch.

Moobabe

Man - Total Biscuit's video is so full of shit it hurts.

His argument is that Films/Music etc have multiple, recurring, revenue streams - concerts, radio plays, in flight films etc

Completely neglecting to mention DLC, Essentials, Platinum, GOTY editions etc

Slair

I think we're all missing the real reason why we shouldn't restrict used game sales: so we aren't forced into buying the god-fucking-awful platinum/greatest hits cases if we don't buy the game day one.

Carl

Man - Total Biscuit's video is so full of shit it hurts.

His argument is that Films/Music etc have multiple, recurring, revenue streams - concerts, radio plays, in flight films etc

Completely neglecting to mention DLC, Essentials, Platinum, GOTY editions etc

We need to stop mentioning this guy and feeding his ego. It's just sending the thread offtopic.

farisr

Honestly my whole take on the issue of "leaving it up to the publishers" will at most result in an online pass type situation. Companies have already taken a lot of flack and changed their minds in requiring to be connected/logged in to the network to play their games when they've attempted it before. And stuff like Online Pass for single player took a beating too, and games like Arkham City that had exclusive single player stuff (day 1) linked to Online Pass released complete versions with all that content on disc/available without the requirement of codes/online.

So yeah, honestly, I believe leaving it up to publishers will result in the same system/experience we get on the ps3 right now. There are plenty of companies that could've opted for an online pass this gen but didn't choose to because they either didn't believe in it or felt like the negative reception to such a thing wouldn't be worth it.

These companies of course wouldn't mind more money, but they would rather not risk their own image and lowering of sales as a result, and would much rather it be implemented on a system level (which from the only comments from Yoshida so far, Sony doesn't seem to be doing).

has David Jaffe chimed in on any of this yet?

I recall him being pretty anti-used games, but I could be wrong.
Didn't he go on a tirade a year or so ago regarding this issue, but standing on the side of the developers/publishers instead of the consumers?

farisr

Didn't he go on a tirade a year or so ago regarding this issue, but standing on the side of the developers/publishers instead of the consumers?

He's basically pissed off that gamestop makes so much money off used games and he/the developers don't get any of it, but isn't against gamers being able to buy used games or sell copies they paid for. No idea about what he said in regards to sharing/playing on more than one console.

Moobabe

We need to stop mentioning this guy and feeding his ego. It's just sending the thread offtopic.

Sorry man - I thought I'd give the video a look to see the other side of the argument - but his position is "pre-owned is negative, this is fact, if you disagree you're crazy."

If you hate online passes it's "without reason," apparently we all "hate" DLC and never buy it.

Yeah - I'm tired of this guy.

gazele

Banned

Me too!

Does it say you have 0 followers and are following 0 people too?

I think we should stick to Bish's earlier advice and keep this TB idiot out of the thread.

So GAF is going the Fox News route? Fair and balanced. Or something.

Primarily being a PC/Vita gamer, I've got no dog in this fight. But in a debate it's always best when all sides are heard. Echo chambers help no one.

that, but especially not being able to play 'offline' with games like PSN Final Fight.
I recall that causing a pretty big stink and Capcom didn't implement that policy beyond that game, from what I recall.

I forgot all about that. That was all really weird because I don't think that they locked the 360 version. But it seems like the fan response was enough to make them change their mind on using that.

falconzss

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=59689069&postcount=4086

David Jaffe said:
Should devs make money off used games? Legally it's not necessary. But practically, I see zero issues- ASSUMING IT DOES NOT HURT THE GAMER'S EXPERIENCE (other than gamers having to just get used to a system they are not used to)- for devs/publishers to try to get a cut of the used game market. You can argue that no other industry does such a thing but I would argue that right now with the used market there are folks- namely Gamestop- making boatloads of cash off used games so why in the world- ASSUMING the game biz finds a solve that makes customers happy- would the game biz not put into place a plan that will allow us to be the ones making the cash. SOMEONE has to make the cash off used games- why the hell NOT the folks making the dang games?

And before you write back telling me how terrible you think Xbox One's solve is and this how bad my above view is, know two things:

#1- Neither you nor I have HEARD the specifics of how they plan to deal with used sales. Until we know that, no real point in arguing that specific case.

#2- Please see above where I make it clear that the solve- whomever benefits from it- MUST take customer's experience/happiness into account. As much as I feel used game cash should go- at least in part- to the game makers I DO NOT AGREE that the customer should feel ANY sort of hit because of the shift in where the revenue goes. If ANYTHING it should allow the customer experience to be better and/or allow the customer to make more cash off used sales/share in the revenue of the used sale. But whatever the solve, it MUST be customer friendly or- for me- the whole thing falls apart.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

He did earlier and very reasonably, I might add.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
So GAF is going the Fox News route? Fair and balanced. Or something.

Primarily being a PC/Vita gamer, I've got no dog in this fight. But in a debate it's always best when all sides are heard. Echo chambers help no one.

What? Bish said to get off the TB stuff. He was right, considering it was derailing the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom