• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 and 1440 output

Status
Not open for further replies.

It probably ends up with 1080p as the highest resolution available to select on PS5 (unless monitor accepts 4k signal) - it will look like shit.

yeah I’m sure that’s how it works. I just wanted some feedback from someone who has used the ps5 with a 1440 monitor.

MrFunSocks

Banned
The Ps5 doesn’t output at 1440p. You’re either going to get super sampled 4K or upscale 1080p.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Which, I really, I really hope Sony patches and adds to the PS5 settings. Seems 1440p is a sweet spot for resolution and keeps frames good too.
You are confusing render resolution with output resolution.

Even with a output option to 1440p games will continue being rendered in the resolution developers wants (probably dynamic higher than 1440p).

What a 1440p output resolution will change for you is that instead to use the downscaling from your monitor it will use the own PS5 downscaling.

BTW that exactly what the Xbox 1440p output option does...downscale before send to the display so it avoid the monitor doing the downscale.

Framerates are not affected by changing the output resolution.

Last edited:

Stuart360

CohhCarnage is playing on a 1440p monitor, and the game looks sweet. Clean, crisp, and sharp.
Its a shame about not being able to do 1440p though as i bet there are a fair amount of people who will be gaming on 1440p screens.
Still at least the image will be downsampled, which will help with IQ.

ethomaz

Banned
Has anyone used the ps5 on a 1440p display? If so, how does it look?
Your monitor will probably super sample from PS5 4k output... all HDMI 2.0 monitor do that.

Now if it is a old monitor not compatible with HDMI 2.0 or higher then it will only display if you choose 1080 output on PS5.

Last edited:
Tried my 27in 144hz 1440p Acer display and I get 1080p, but looks not bad. On PS4 Pro I thought it looked too soft, but sharper on PS5.

Some 1440 displays will support a 4K input:

My buddy owns a Samsung GK650 TN 1440p 144Hz panel and for him his PS5 shows that it's outputting 4K in his 1440p monitor. It'd output at 1080p when he enables higher frame rate i guess

TTOOLL

I really don't understand how suddenly 1440p is a must for consoles. Are PC gamers buying PS5s and XSXs? I never heard of a TV that was 1440p. They went from 1080p straight to 4k.

Anyway, it's not so hard to implement and I think Sony will do it.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I really don't understand how suddenly 1440p is a must for consoles.
There are pro-gamers and streamers that use 1440p monitors for PC and console gaming/streaming. Plus capture cards does not support 4K/120hz passthrough.

And for the "casuals" it's an affordable option without compromise.

Last edited:

SirVoltus

I really don't understand how suddenly 1440p is a must for consoles. Are PC gamers buying PS5s and XSXs? I never heard of a TV that was 1440p. They went from 1080p straight to 4k.

Anyway, it's not so hard to implement and I think Sony will do it.
Even 2018-2020 sony led tv itself support 1440p 60hz.. mid-high end 2018-2020 samsung qled and LG oled support 1440p 120hz. So it is not that exclusive to pc monitor since the last 3 years.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
It will look like shit don't do 1080p on a 1440p monitor. it will look WAY sharper on a 1080p monitor

twilo99

Which, I really, I really hope Sony patches and adds to the PS5 settings. Seems 1440p is a sweet spot for resolution and keeps frames good too.

It has been the best compromise for a few years now, but Sony's TV division has a lot of sway on what the PS5 can and can't do.

1440p and VRR are both great features that are missing for no logical reason at all.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Many 1440p monitors can accept the 4k output and will downscale the image to the screens native 1440p and look decent in doing so.

Then you still have 1440p for PC gaming which is still the sweet spot for most gamers

Many 1440p monitors can accept the 4k output and will downscale the image to the screens native 1440p and look decent in doing so.

Then you still have 1440p for PC gaming which is still the sweet spot for most gamers
If only Sony had access to that same technology...

It's a shame they can't get these sort of details right. Sure it only matters for a few people, but still, a lot of things only matter to a few people: VR, VRR, FSR, VRS,1440p, Dolby Vision, native PS3 retro, Knack 3, etc.

Last edited:
Oh I agree its silly we dont have 1440p and don't get me started on VRR

Just saying its also not a huge deal for someone wanting a high refresh rate monitor if they do a little research before hand
Jokes aside, It's a "huge" deal that Sony can't bother to "fix" small details on a console that is expected to sell 100m+ units. They've been like this since the PS3 at least, trying to save money by not taking care of basic features.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
i'm sure you and the 15 people who have 1440p monitors are crying in their compressed office chair cushioned seats.
Yeah, options are bad, Fuck having options, am I right.

I don't get why it doesn't. Devs could offer a 1440p mode, with an higher framerate than the 4K counterpart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom