• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 And Next Xbox Will Likely Have 16 to 20GB of RAM, Says Hellpoint Dev

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Probably usable RAM, not including that reserved for OS reservation and general system caching. Seems a reasonable, if conservative estimate to me.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
This makes absolutely zero sense and at this point we should stop listening to this asshole. Xbox One X has 12GB of DDR5, expect the next generation to have at least 16GB, and that’s a bare minimum.

Last edited:

tkscz

12 GB of ram? Doesnt the X already have 12 unless they mean 12 Tflop.

The article says it's doing dual pools of RAM. 8 to 12GBs of main RAM and another 8GBs of VRAM. So 16 to 20GBs of RAM. Honestly I'm more curious about types of RAM than sheer numbers. Really hoping to see HBM2 get used.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
But, why not?
Because it's the same shit 1-2 liner that GamingBolt is milking for hits, pure hits and you and N4G just gave them exactly that.
There's nothing new here, it's not even news, hell even these so-called developers don't bother with GB's bullshit wording.

sublimit

Banned
34794113800075345607.jpg

The article says it's doing dual pools of RAM. 8 to 12GBs of main RAM and another 8GBs of VRAM. So 16 to 20GBs of RAM. Honestly I'm more curious about types of RAM than sheer numbers. Really hoping to see HBM2 get used.
Hbm2 isn't necessarily better than gddr memory. Its all about the bandwidth numbers.

Gddr6 with a 384 bit bus would be very adequate like base ps4's set up.

Gddr6 on a 512 bit bus would be phenomenal.

Last edited:

SonGoku

PS5 And Next Xbox Will Likely Have 8 to 12GB of RAM, Says Hellpoint Dev
Edit:
But an additional 8GB of VRAM, which means total memory available will be 16-20GB

https://gamingbolt.com/ps5-and-next-xbox-will-likely-have-8-to-12gb-of-ram-says-hellpoint-dev#nnn

So. Another thread about this devs opinions. Largely discussed topic. But, why not? One last time before 2019. Bring the ram. Close if necessary.

SonGoku SonGoku
They are 3rd party indie dev speculating, their speculation (a terrible one at that) holds no more value that forum speculations going around

Fake

Me to. HBM2 could make a great jump in memory departament.

SonGoku

Me to. HBM2 could make a great jump in memory departament.
Not to mention with more stacks you can reach 32GB without raising costs too much relatively speaking and its better suited as CPU memory as well due to lower latencies

Last edited:
Nah. Some dude on here told me 128gigs would be the minimum acceptable amount, so this can’t be true.

On a serious note: I’d be shocked if it’s less than 16

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
16GB needs to be absolute minimum. shit, i'd think 32GB is needed if it needs to be shared with the GPU. if they can do 20-24GB then that might be better. i'm just thinking of what PC does where you can only have 8, 16, 32 or 64GB and not 8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 28, 32GB.

8GB is fine today on PC but only if you're on a tight budget. 16GB is the sweet spot. whereas 32GB is considered overkill. keep in mind that this is RAM. GPU's have their own VRAM with a capacity of 3, 4, 6, 8, 11, 24GB.

In my experience of playing games on PC you can EASILY use 10-11GB RAM. I had 16GB and it was because of this that I installed 32GB instead. It might be overkill but I'd rather a solid 20GB of headroom instead of about only 5GB. as for VRAM 3-4GB is only really good enough for 1080p gaming and maybe some 1440p with lower settings. if you want to play at 4K 60fps with ultra settings then you need 6-8GB. I've seen games use as much as 6-7GB.

My guess for next gen consoles would be 24GB shared RAM if they want to make a true 4K console. 4GB dedicated for the OS and 20GB shared between CPU/GPU. (roughly 12 for CPU and 8 for GPU). 20GB could be possible with 4GB OS, 10GB CPU and 6GB GPU. Developers could make better use of memory on console compared to PC due to how little variation there is in hardware.

TL;DR: 20-24GB is needed IMO if they are going to get serious about 4K especially if they want to get 60fps.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
GPUs alone have that much video ram these days, shouldn't they have a little more to use as system ram (even if they're one and the same and interchangeable in practice on a console)? Especially if they want to continue pushing 4K or otherwise higher than 1080p and then upscaled to full 4K resolutions on top of all around improved textures, assets, effects and overall pipelines, that stuff could drain the 8GB by itself before even getting into the actual game stuff. I'm gonna go with 16 for the base units, more for the expensive pro models. Before withholding however much for the OS however.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
So they said 16 GBs to 20 GBs. Can a MOD update the Thread Title please? Thanks!

Last edited:

Blam

Lol I doubt any of these games will use 16-20gb of ram. Devs need to manage memory better instead of just dumping the models/textures in ram.

Lol I doubt any of these games will use 16-20gb of ram. Devs need to manage memory better instead of just dumping the models/textures in ram.
There's some truth in this but its still bad to get a 6x jump in gpu, 3x in cpu and then only see double the usable memory.

16gb available for games is the absolute minimum plus we need ssds.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
you obviously have not played games at 4K 60fps with high visual settings then? that's what PC uses today with modern titles. do you really expect consoles, which are expected to release in late 2020 and then last for ~7 years, to get by with just 16-20GB RAM? LOL ok then. i hope i never see you complain that consoles are too weak.

if console owners want 4K 60fps then 16-24GB is needed. you can't just ask developers to optimise more.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
There's some truth in this but its still bad to get a 6x jump in gpu, 3x in gpu and then only see double the usable memory.

16gb available for games is the absolute minimum plus we need ssds.

that we do but it's not happening until they drop in price significantly. i paid more for my SSD than i did for my PS4 :messenger_tears_of_joy: let's say that 2TB is the minimum needed next gen (since sizes are getting bigger and bigger)....to buy one of them today would cost AT LEAST £230. a PS4 cost £250-350.

until prices come down then all Sony/Microsoft can do is stick in a cheap HDD and let owners install their own SSD. there is no chance that they are gonna slap on another £200/$250.

that we do but it's not happening until they drop in price significantly. i paid more for my SSD than i did for my PS4 :messenger_tears_of_joy: let's say that 2TB is the minimum needed next gen (since sizes are getting bigger and bigger)....to buy one of them today would cost AT LEAST £230. a PS4 cost £250-350.

until prices come down then all Sony/Microsoft can do is stick in a cheap HDD and let owners install their own SSD. there is no chance that they are gonna slap on another £200/$250.
They're getting cheaper all the time and I think they'd get away with 1 tb at launch. Remember the 360 and ps3 had 20gb models at launch!

Plus we pay way more than Sony and ms would.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

People said that last go around when 8 GBs were a rumor in the PS4. People said 4 GBs were enough and that devs need to manage memory better.

People said that last go around when 8 GBs were a rumor in the PS4. People said 4 GBs were enough and that devs need to manage memory better.
And even if its true that devs can optimize more, not every programmer is a wizard nor do they necessarily have the luxury to spend as much time as possible on a given project.

The goal here is to make it as easy as possible for developers ; no one agrees the cell was an excellent choice for ps3.

But not as much as 32GB GDDR6 right?
Hbm is more expensive.

Vega 64 has hbm2 yet has pretty much the same bandwidth as 1080ti with gddr5x on a 352 bit bus.

Hbm is not some holy grail of performance.

The REAL holy grail of memory would be anything over 600gb/s bandwidth with 128mb edram - getting crazy like ps2 son.

Last edited:

SonGoku

Hbm is more expensive.

Vega 64 has hbm2 yet has pretty much the same bandwidth as 1080ti with gddr5x on a 352 bit bus.

Hbm is not some holy grail of performance.

The REAL holy grail of memory would be anything over 600gb/s bandwidth with 128mb edram - getting crazy like ps2 son.
But werent the main hbm advantages
High bandwidth
Multiple stacks making it cheaper to reach huge memory pool

Maybe the tech isnt there yet, but this is supposed to be the future

This has 32GB HBM2 and 870GB/s which is higher than the latest Quadro RTX 8000 using 48GB GDDR6 672.0 GB/s

Last edited:
But werent the main hbm advantages
High bandwidth
Multiple stacks making it cheaper to reach huge memory pool

Maybe the tech isnt there yet, but this is supposed to be the future

This has 32GB HBM2 and 870GB/S
I'm not saying it isn't great - just that its much more costly than gddr memory. And gddr6 on a 512bit bus could have a similar bandwidth but would also be very expensive.

So far we've only seen hbm in high end radeons, and professional nvidia cards - because it ain't cheap.

I'm not saying its impossible (although 32gb - yeah pretty much for a mainstream device) but you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Edit - and that rtx 8000 only has a 384 bit bus.

Last edited:

Blam

They do tho? Have you seen UC4? It looks sorta damn unreal for what it has to work with.

SonGoku

I'm not saying its impossible (although 32gb - yeah pretty much for a mainstream device) but you're setting yourself up for disappointment.
Im expecting 24gb gddr6 for next gen consoles with the off chance of 32gb
Edit - and that rtx 8000 only has a 384 bit bus.
Yes.. but as you mentioned cost... not to mention having 48GB worth of HBM2 stacks would reach even higher bandwidth as well
Have you seen UC4? It looks sorta damn unreal for what it has to work with
Have you seen UC3? It looks sorta damn unreal for what it had to work with

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
You guys are starting to make these consoles sound like they are going to be really expensive. I know the APU, CPU, GPU whatever are kind of the bulk of the expense, but RAM hasn't exactly been cheap at least at retail. Do you think we're gonna get away with a $400 console with that much (hopefully good) RAM in it? In two year's time? sounds iffy.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Is this the 5th thread with "Hellpoint dev says..." ? They are in the know.

No, just GamingBolt likes to pump the click bait into separate articles instead of the same fucking interview it took place in. They were banned here at one time because it had gotten so out of hand. Not saying I am calling for a ban, but their style is very tabloid and always from an indie dev 99% of the time. Never from anyone that would really be in the know.

Last edited:

Xyphie

My bet has always been that next-gen console GPUs are going to have 256-bit memory buses. 192-bit is probably a bit too narrow (and would result in 12/24GB) and 384-bit is probably too expensive for a baseline system.

That leaves the options to either 16GB (8x16Gb) or 32GB (with some future 8x32Gb chips, or 16x16Gb) and 32GB seems like overkill @ 4K.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
16GB GDDR5/6 total RAM or 4GB DDR3/4 for OS+ 16GB GDDR5/6 for games seems to be the only logical solutions. No way Sony/MS will go for split pool of memories again.

PS5 And Next Xbox Will Likely Have 8 to 12GB of RAM, Says Hellpoint Dev
Edit:
But an additional 8GB of VRAM, which means total memory available will be 16-20GB

https://gamingbolt.com/ps5-and-next-xbox-will-likely-have-8-to-12gb-of-ram-says-hellpoint-dev#nnn

So. Another thread about this devs opinions. Largely discussed topic. But, why not? One last time before 2019. Bring the ram. Close if necessary.

SonGoku SonGoku g
I think it will be either 12 + 12GB or a single RAM pool.

Top Bottom