• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 and Xbox Series X SOC are made in the same fabric

project-scarlett-chip-made-in-malaysia-01-770x483.jpg

JxRiMWt.png

Both are diffused in Taiwan and made in Malaysia
Both are the same packaging.

Just a little different size

Entroyp

I find the PS5 APU a to have a bit of an odd shape. Also, they seem to be similar in size, which shouldn’t be the case given the number of CUs.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

They're both fabricated at TSMC ("Diffused in Taiwan") and final packaging is in Malaysia.

Very common, very old stamp combo. Not sure if this is speculating anything beyond it being TSMC, but that's it.

Last edited:

geordiemp

project-scarlett-chip-made-in-malaysia-01-770x483.jpg

JxRiMWt.png

Both are diffused in Taiwan and made in Malaysia
Both are the same packaging.

Just a little different size

Just becasue they are made in the same fab and back end packaged does not mean they are the same.

Notice that some PC parts are 2.5 GHz and some are 1,9 Ghz in the leaks, this is likely slight variatons on process steps (DUV vs EUV). It will LIKELY be more expensive to use the EUV around the FinFET gates to achieve this..

Ps5 is cooled both sides with vias and liquid metal, XSX is more traditionally cooled.

If you looked closely at Ps5 teardown you can see the vias on the back and there was a heat pipe in the first cover plate, so dual side cooling effect.

I woudd say dual sided cooling with vias, TIM liquid metal heat transfer and 2.23 Ghz is quite new and unique for now, almost revolutionary IMO.

But I guess SOME of the AMD PC parts will do this as well for performance is likely if they are doing 2.5 GHz.

Could not be more different if they tried.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Do we actually have final part name designations yet? Or are we still working off the AMD leaks from last year, not sure what to call these chips/

Allandor

Why is that surprising?
Most chips come from the same companies and therefore from the same fabrics (because not every part of a company can make those things).
Also there aren't many manufactures than can make such chips.

Just becasue they are made in the same fab and back end packaged does not mean they are the same.

Notice that some PC parts are 2.5 GHz and some are 1,9 Ghz in the leaks, this is likely slight variatons on process steps (DUV vs EUV). It will LIKELY be more expensive to use the EUV around the FinFET gates to achieve this..

Ps5 is cooled both sides with vias and liquid metal, XSX is more traditionally cooled.

If you looked closely at Ps5 teardown you can see the vias on the back and there was a heat pipe in the first cover plate, so dual side cooling effect.

I woudd say dual sided cooling with vias, TIM liquid metal heat transfer and 2.23 Ghz is quite new and unique for now, almost revolutionary IMO.

But I guess SOME of the AMD PC parts will do this as well for performance is likely if they are doing 2.5 GHz.

Could not be more different if they tried.
I didn't imply the inner workings are the same, just the manufacturing and packaging process.
But you're wrong on being cooled from both sides.

3GFaFDM.png

wtluXxk.png

u9sSQqN.png

It's liquid cooling from the top of the die. Nothing more.
Maybe it's a sandwich on the top of the die. The patent would hint to that.
Need a real teardown without cuts for that

Entroyp

You need a better pic to estimate the size like that one.
cMX8fRP.png

USB socket: ~39px
APU: 71px x 41px (bit overestimated)

PS5 APU estimated size: 22.5mm x 13.5mm

~304mm2

It is way smaller than Series X APU.

PS. I did overestimated a bit to put a margin of error so it could be closer to 300mm2.

Nice work. The I/O complex must be in the APU, right? For a second I thought it was outside but that’s the custom flash controller.

MiguelItUp

Consoles are consoles are consoles. Fanboys always want one to be vastly better than the other. On paper they very well may be, but in the realm of performance that never really happens, at least the past few generations. The slightest of differences, and overflowing with similarities. It's why exclusives matter most, and that will never change for consoles.

ethomaz

Banned
So the cost of production will reduce by even more because they both share?
Share? Each TSMC production has a cost because each Chip is produced different from each others... if the machine are set to produce PS5 APUs they can't produce Xbox APU.

onQ123

Doing some research...

PS5: 303mm2
PS4: 328mm2
Pro: 325mm2

It is smaller than previous consoles except for the Slim variants.

The fact that PS5 SoC is about the same size as the PS4 Pro while both of them have 36CUs says a lot about how much the SoC has changed.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I find the PS5 APU a to have a bit of an odd shape. Also, they seem to be similar in size, which shouldn’t be the case given the number of CUs.

The PS5's APU has components for the system's I/O system and it houses the Geometry Engine.

geordiemp

I didn't imply the inner workings are the same, just the manufacturing and packaging process.

3GFaFDM.png

wtluXxk.png

u9sSQqN.png

No its both sides cooling on the back that spring plate is transferring head to the back plate which has copper on it.

mWrUOP1.png

snKaFFw.png

geordiemp

3GFaFDM.png

wtluXxk.png

u9sSQqN.png

It was a bit blue peter with cuts to one I prepared earlier for showing easier. Upclose and beow the cover plate.

Its taking some heat from the back for sure as well as TIM alloy from where we would expect. The Sony patent suggested this option in small print.

8Lx07Lt.png

XJKoUic.png

Last edited:

Dural

No its both sides cooling on the back that spring plate is transferring head to the back plate which has copper on it.

mWrUOP1.png

snKaFFw.png

That's not cooling the APU from the underside, that looks to be cooling the power regulation. You can clearly see what the heatpipe is touching and it's not the APU.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Maybe the thread title is correct parlance and I’m ignorant, but I can’t help but laugh at the thought of both of them being made out of fabric.

Like denim or something, and having to be ironed and put on the board without any creases. Maybe Cerny has a last minute addition and adds a literal patch.

geordiemp

That's not cooling the APU from the underside, that looks to be cooling the power regulation. You can clearly see what the heatpipe is touching and it's not the APU.

Could be, it was a quick video and they had parts prepared for showing and edited so it was not easy to follow. Coudl just be grounding.

Top Bottom