• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Beta Update Introduces Discord Chat,1440p VRR & Wireless Controller Updates

Seph-

If someone falls into a NA code with a use it would be appreciated. Will do the same if it falls in my lap with what usages I have after. Enjoy

**Was given a code, feel free to ignore and move to someone else in need of one/pay it forward**

Last edited:

Chronos24

I hate to shamelessly ask but I would love a code as well. Just got the Samsung Q90B and I wanna see the new VRR features

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yeah I am about to redeem £20 to go towards Hogwarts, brilliant program.

How the fuck are you doing that? I have literally zero points. And it's not like I don't use my PS5, been playing a ton of GOWR and some other stuff. Guess that doesn't count.

bitbydeath

Do these codes work cross-region or will it screw it up?

Im in Australia and there are no codes made for Australia. :-/

MaKTaiL

I just got my US Beta Code, installed the update, linked Discord, but I can't seem to figure out how to join discord chats. Has anyone tried it yet?

Mr Moose

I just got my US Beta Code, installed the update, linked Discord, but I can't seem to figure out how to join discord chats. Has anyone tried it yet?
You need to use shitty phone app.

Edit: Or PC app.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

Do these codes work cross-region or will it screw it up?

Im in Australia and there are no codes made for Australia. :-/
I don't think so but also, I don't think theirs anything stopping you from making a dummy account for example the U.S region and using a code for that region. The beta should be active for all your accounts.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

is there a way i can get a link to the beta ? I have samsung odyssey Neo 49 inch with VRR support and I wanna see if it will work on with half screen / full screen on the monitor.

Kuranghi

You need to use shitty phone app.

Edit: Or PC app.

I was starting to regret buying the Arctis Nova Pro Wireless for their simultaneous dual BT and WiFi connection (so can do PS5 on base station/wifi and BT for Discord on phone/PC) but I guess its still a smadge more convenient (due to being able to keep the call going once I turn the PS5 off and/or switch to PC. If you don't have what I have its nice to be able to control it on your phone or computer though as MaKTaiL MaKTaiL says.

Kuranghi

is there a way i can get a link to the beta ? I have samsung odyssey Neo 49 inch with VRR support and I wanna see if it will work on with half screen / full screen on the monitor.

Is that a feature with dual input splitscreen and its 1440p res for each input instead of 4K for one input?

//DEVIL//

Is that a feature with dual input splitscreen and its 1440p res for each input instead of 4K for one input?
I can have a picture in picture mode where the screen split to two 2k 120htz monitor instead of 1 4k 240hz ( its not really 4k, its 2k screens together which makes it 7 million something pixels . 8k is 8 million something pixels. )

but yes the Neo has VRR support. but PS5 software doesn't support VRR on 2k ( says resolution not supported). this software will really help.

I wanna see if I can get VRR on 2k at full half-screen split. or it has to be 2k full-screen mode ( black bars on both sides ). either way. I really need this update for testing purposes :/

Last edited:

20cent

Banned
OH MY GOD

I will be able to perform the next stability performance update of my controller, wirelessly.
#soblessed #thankgod #bestdayofmylife

phaedrus

mjBqJ9O.gif

"I'm IN"

F8jr61E.png

Kuranghi

I wanna compare and contrast everything. I'm a major audio/videophile. Just wanna see the differences of every mode.

I guess there should be some difference in image quality because at 1440p120 the game scales the internal render resolution up to 1440p (assuming the game isnt already running at 1440p, few 120hz modes are though, Doom Eternal is one I believe) and then the TV is scaling that output to the native panel res but at 4K120 only the console scales it internally from its render resolution before sending it to the screen for 1:1 pixel mapping.

I'd wager the scaling is better on the PS5 so probably it will look better using 2160p, worth a check though.

Kuranghi

OH MY GOD

I will be able to perform the next stability performance update of my controller, wirelessly.
#soblessed #thankgod #bestdayofmylife

I just installed it and they even make you do one right after the system update just to show off haha:

"Now updating the controller software is much easier, you'll just have to wait until an update comes out... OH WAIT WHATS THIS THERES ONE AVAILABLE RIGHT NOW LETS TRY IT OUT!!"

MaKTaiL

I just installed it and they even make you do one right after the system update just to show off haha:

"Now updating the controller software is much easier, you'll just have to wait until an update comes out... OH WAIT WHATS THIS THERES ONE AVAILABLE RIGHT NOW LETS TRY IT OUT!!"
It didn't prompt me, maybe because my controller battery is low?

DryvBy

Question for those excited about Discord coming to PS5: why?

I'm genuinely asking too. When I play games, my crossplay games already have a friend's only party chat so who is this feature for?

Meicyn

Gold Member
Question for those excited about Discord coming to PS5: why?

I'm genuinely asking too. When I play games, my crossplay games already have a friend's only party chat so who is this feature for?
In a game like FFXIV, there is no built-in crossplay voice chat. Most people use Discord on PC. PS users used either the PSN voice chat channels, or used Discord via phone/tablet/whatever. Now PS5 users can be in the same voice chat channels directly from the console.

DryvBy

In a game like FFXIV, there is no built-in crossplay voice chat. Most people use Discord on PC. PS users used either the PSN voice chat channels, or used Discord via phone/tablet/whatever. Now PS5 users can be in the same voice chat channels directly from the console.

I guess I'm fortunate too because the one or two games that didn't work with crossplay I've played I have the Arctic Nova Pro headset that allows simultaneous connection to the PS5 and my phone so thats how I used Discord. But it's just a couple of games I've had to do that.

TrebleShot

How the fuck are you doing that? I have literally zero points. And it's not like I don't use my PS5, been playing a ton of GOWR and some other stuff. Guess that doesn't count.
I think a lot of it is linked to purchases on the store , I buy all my games digitally so the points rack up, 5k for £20

Top Bottom