• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Coil Whine - What Is It and Can I Fix It?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Weird thing is that he pulled out safety capacitor, I am not really that this is the culprit, specially with coil directly next to it. I have my doubts, but I could be wrong.

GametimeUK

The fucking thumbnails for YouTube videos kill me. 🤣

It's the cringiest stuff I've ever seen and that's coming from someone who recently read his old fanboy posts from when he was a member of N4G in 2009. (Not to mention my sexy no look stare for my avatar on here).

Last edited:

Ovek

7Member7
The coil whine will be coming from the motherboard not the PSU. The likely culprit will be the cpu vrm and there will be no fixing it.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Weird thing is that he pulled out safety capacitor, I am not really that this is the culprit, specially with coil directly next to it. I have my doubts, but I could be wrong.
Film capacitors definitely buzz and it's caused by the same thing that causes exposed coils to whine. A lot of people have reported buzzing. My PS4 Pro power supply buzzes.

These capacitors are made of layers of metal and plastic film wrapped around each other. As current flows through the capacitor the Coulomb forces can cause the layers of film to vibrate again each other which produces the buzz. The epoxy that the capacitor is coated in mutes the noise but doesn't necessarily eliminate it. It's definitely a common issue with these types of power supplies. If you happen to get one that isn't seated well on the board it can vibrate against the silicon and can be even louder.

ReBurn

Gold Member
The coil whine will be coming from the motherboard not the PSU. The likely culprit will be the cpu vrm and there will be no fixing it.
It can, but it doesn't necessarily have to come from the motherboard. Not in a system like this, anyway. The power supply definitely has components that can buzz and whine.

For a PC the sound can come from the motherboard because it also has caps and coils on it. it's impossible to know how much power will be pulled through it or what size power supply or what the power consumption will be of other components someone will install. So the motherboard has capacitors and coils of it's own that can whine and buzz. A GPU motherboard can also whine and buzz on its own because the components that draw power directly from the PSU are mounted on that board to control power draw of the component so it can make noise under load independently from the motherboard or power supply.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Film capacitors definitely buzz and it's caused by the same thing that causes exposed coils to whine. A lot of people have reported buzzing. My PS4 Pro power supply buzzes.

These capacitors are made of layers of metal and plastic film wrapped around each other. As current flows through the capacitor the Coulomb forces can cause the layers of film to vibrate again each other which produces the buzz. The epoxy that the capacitor is coated in mutes the noise but doesn't necessarily eliminate it. It's definitely a common issue with these types of power supplies. If you happen to get one that isn't seated well on the board it can vibrate against the silicon and can be even louder.
So it's still coil then, it's that "scroll type" of capacitor, gotcha. Are these type of capacitors needed for certain purpose or is it cheaper to have these (even tho, like I said that part is not cheap). I build some switching power supply back in the day, if I would not loose part of my memory last year, I would know the specifics, but I have there just normal elektrolythics capacitor, which creates that switching. Like that's dumbly said, but hopefully you know what I mean, this seems to be some input capacitors based on board layout, which are used for filtering....wait that does not make sense, if they would be on input, because then they would not create higher frequency than 120hz I believe, if you split negative and positive voltage from AC...why would you do that if you have that FULL BRIDGE RECTIFIER (which is visible on mains). Seems like those are some filtering capacitors. I don't really know and it's really late here. But the pic is here and it seems like it's something have to do with that active PFC, like it's shown here, to not return to network harmonic ripples from the fast switching, which parasitically appears with switching power supplies. Clearly same stuff is visible here:

https://www.silverstonetek.com/techtalk_cont.php?area=th&tid=wh_pfc (the last pic)

As in here:

Qx2tDqSSJ6DC5inI.huge

Maybe XSX PSU does not have active PFC or is it not needed?

ReBurn

Gold Member
So it's still coil then, it's that "scroll type" of capacitor, gotcha. Are these type of capacitors needed for certain purpose or is it cheaper to have these (even tho, like I said that part is not cheap). I build some switching power supply back in the day, if I would not loose part of my memory last year, I would know the specifics, but I have there just normal elektrolythics capacitor, which creates that switching. Like that's dumbly said, but hopefully you know what I mean, this seems to be some input capacitors based on board layout, which are used for filtering....wait that does not make sense, if they would be on input, because then they would not create higher frequency than 120hz I believe, if you split negative and positive voltage from AC...why would you do that if you have that FULL BRIDGE RECTIFIER (which is visible on mains). Seems like those are some filtering capacitors. I don't really know and it's really late here. But the pic is here and it seems like it's something have to do with that active PFC, like it's shown here, to not return to network harmonic ripples from the fast switching, which parasitically appears with switching power supplies. Clearly same stuff is visible here:

https://www.silverstonetek.com/techtalk_cont.php?area=th&tid=wh_pfc (the last pic)

As in here:

Qx2tDqSSJ6DC5inI.huge

Maybe XSX PSU does not have active PFC or is it not needed?
Usually they're used because they are cost effective with long life and are good at stabilizing power flow in AC current applications due to being reliably linear in their frequency and voltage responses.

The buzz isn't a defect like a lot of people believe. The vibration is normal and the sound is just a result of the vibration. It can be annoying, though.

JeloSWE

Usually they're used because they are cost effective with long life and are good at stabilizing power flow in AC current applications due to being reliably linear in their frequency and voltage responses.

The buzz isn't a defect like a lot of people believe. The vibration is normal and the sound is just a result of the vibration. It can be annoying, though.
The Coil Whine makes the PS5 a defective product form a user experience standpoint. Sony needs to stop using sub par components or designs when this is an non issue on the XSX.

JeloSWE

From a youtube comment explaining the coil whine in the component, it basically boils down to a lesser quality component.
P-51 GlintHawKP-51 GlintHawK
As you probably know a certain level of "coil whine" is inevitable in electronic systems. This is simply a function of current passing through the component causing vibrations. To negate coil whine in foil capacitors (or any other wound component for that matter) manufacturers have to roll the materials extremely tight with very precise tolerances, otherwise any non-uniformity between the coil and dielectric layers will cause an audible resonance. My guess is the supplier Sony is using for this particular capacitor is either having a QC issue or for cost reasons isn't manufacturing with extremely tight tolerances. (I'm personally leaning towards the latter one). As for the fix, coil whine will sometimes just go away on its own once the device has "broken in" from use. If it doesn't you could try to encase the component in a potting material (maybe even hot glue) to dampen the noise, but I'm not sure if there is enough clearance between the surrounding components to do that. The only other option would be to replace the capacitor with a difference batch number to see if the next batch just happened to be manufactured a bit tighter.

Last edited:

HoofHearted

How did you get 2?
I imagined he ordered them online or found in a store... ;)

I bought 2 this year (one for me... the other for my nephew)... both from wally World.

Mine is virtually silent unless you put your ear right next to it.. my nephews has an audible sound or resonance. Possibly the fan or coil whine... he has fan “B” from earlier reports.

My XSX (for comparison) is dead silent. You wouldn’t know it’s on except for the light, and even putting your ear next to it you have to strain to hear the fan.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
My XSX (for comparison) is dead silent. You would know it’s on except for the light, and even putting your ear next to it you have to strain to hear the fan.
Same here and if I move my ear against the console while straining to hear the Series X that sound is deafening compared to the barely discernable sound from the Series X.

//DEVIL//

I do not understand why people making a big issue about a coil whine. a Friggin 2000$ 3090 GPU does make coil whine. Xbox series X does too ( not as loud but if you put your ear on top of the fan while running a game you will hear the buzzing sound. noticed it at the halo 5 main menu ( not as loud as PS5 but still )).

As long as it's not annoyingly loud that you cant hear your TV then you are fine bud.

I mean the guy had to put his magnify the sound by putting a hearing magnifier or whatever it's called to hear it lol.

Enjoy your weak PS5 till a revision is made then sell it and buy the new one ( said its weak because I am a PC master race mwawhahahaha .. lol )

Last edited:

FrozenFlame

Maybe if they are both going at the same time they generate a harmonic resonance that is above normal decibel levels.
Can confirm. I have 5 ps5 in my house and when I've turned them on at the same time (don't ask). The coil whine was so intense that opened a portal to another dimension and demons came out of it. I've contacted support and they say that the warranty only covers the consoles, not the damage to my house, family and pets. Seriously, fuck Sony!

JeloSWE

I do not understand why people making a big issue about a coil whine. a Friggin 2000$ 3090 GPU does make coil whine. Xbox series X does too ( not as loud but if you put your ear on top of the fan while running a game you will hear the buzzing sound. noticed it at the halo 5 main menu ( not as loud as PS5 but still )).

As long as it's annoying loud that you cant hear your TV then you are fine bud.

I mean the guy had to put his magnify the sound by putting a hearing magnifier or whatever it's called to hear it lol.

Enjoy your weak PS5 till a revision is made then sell it and buy the new one ( said its weak because I am a PC master race mwawhahahaha .. lol )
I hear my PS5 coil whine from the other room with sound in the game. And I haven't noticed any audible coil whine my Asus RTX 3090. Just sayin.

As long as it's annoying loud that you cant hear your TV then you are fine bud.

No. This is NOT an XSX issue. MS put dampening material in their power supplies to prevent any unwanted sound. There is no dispute that XSX is much quieter. I have both in front of me right now.

//DEVIL//

I hear my PS5 coil whine from the other room with sound in the game. And I haven't noticed any audible coil whine my Asus RTX 3090. Just sayin.

It really depends on where you pc is. if its on top of the table close to you, then remove the side glass / metal and run a game. you will hear a change of noise coming from your GPU. if its in the ground, then yeah you wont hear it lol.

No. This is NOT an XSX issue. MS put dampening material in their power supplies to prevent any unwanted sound. There is no dispute that XSX is much quieter. I have both in front of me right now.

my Xbox series X had it before I sell it. granted you do not hear it even if are close to the system. but you will hear a slight change of buzzing sound from while you are playing then closing it to the dashboard. at least like I said mine had it.

Last edited:
my Xbox series X had it before I sell it. granted you do not hear it even if are close to the system. but you will hear a slight change of buzzing sound from while you are playing then closing it to the dashboard. at least like I said mine had it.
If you 'couldn't hear it even when you are close to the system' then this isn't remotely similar to the PS5. I don't have to be close to the PS5 at all to hear the coil whine.

Aenima

Can confirm. I have 5 ps5 in my house and when I've turned them on at the same time (don't ask). The coil whine was so intense that opened a portal to another dimension and demons came out of it. I've contacted support and they say that the warranty only covers the consoles, not the damage to my house, family and pets. Seriously, fuck Sony!
Ah so you are this guy. Nice to see u here.

//DEVIL//

If you 'couldn't hear it even when you are close to the system' then this isn't remotely similar to the PS5. I don't have to be close to the PS5 at all to hear the coil whine.
which is exactly what I said in my first post in this thread. If you can't hear it unless you are very close then that's ok. but in your case, then yeah you might wanna switch to a new one.

with that being said. some people are more sensitive to this than others ( like you and me ). my friend on the other hand, he didn't even know or think of it about it till I explained to him in person and he was like "oh. yeah that's normal its a console running no problem better than my ps4 pro ) lol.

which is exactly what I said in my first post in this thread. If you can't hear it unless you are very close then that's ok. but in your case, then yeah you might wanna switch to a new one.

with that being said. some people are more sensitive to this than others ( like you and me ). my friend on the other hand, he didn't even know or think of it about it till I explained to him in person and he was like "oh. yeah that's normal its a console running no problem better than my ps4 pro ) lol.
If my PS5 was across the room in a cabinet I might not even know it was an issue. I just expect better from Sony.

JeloSWE

It really depends on where you pc is. if its on top of the table close to you, then remove the side glass / metal and run a game. you will hear a change of noise coming from your GPU. if its in the ground, then yeah you wont hear it lol.

So it tested with CP77 on my ASUS RTX 3090 TUF, and yes I can hear a bit of Coil Whine as well, not as bad as my PS5 is. I keep my PC and Consoles in my next room since PS4 to remove ALL noise, so I didn't notice it from the 3090 before testing it with CP.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

For the people who's PS5 has Coil Whine.

DynamiteSheriff! I think we may need a coil whine OT as they are multiplying without really much new stuff.
vmWUwnj.png

CatLady CatLady indeed the XSX is very quiet, but the volume of the air pushed by the large fan does make noise. If you get closer to the console you definitely hear that that quite clearly.

I can say that despite sometimes hearing the famous rattling (fan hitting the plastic label inside its compartment? That thing maybe) both have been very quiet for me. Neither of them is anywhere near the old PS4 or PS4 Pro.

XSX is quieter than PS5, but PS5 is now for me in the “quiet enough” band where being quieter has diminishing returns. Also, XSX is very quiet but not dead silent once the fan picks up (trying to keep the console free from dust, but I am not saying I have an Intel like Clean Room here :LOL:... still the noise I hear is all coming from above the console and it is not the fan making it... it is the air moving through the grill and being pushed out... it moves a lot of air, it is impressive).

Hostile_18

Banned
It's not funny for guys that have it. I preordered the console the second it came out and have had my PS5 to play on about a week if that. The Series X is absolutely silent unless ear pressed against it. It's not acceptable and ruined this launch for me.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's not funny for guys that have it. I preordered the console the second it came out and have had my PS5 to play on about a week if that. The Series X is absolutely silent unless ear pressed against it. It's not acceptable and ruined this launch for me.
No, defects in a console are not acceptable an you should return it and they have to replace it, nobody is making fun of that or telling you to “take it and deal with it”. If the goal is to make tons of unique threads to keep this topic on the front page then it smells more like warring than discussing though...

On the other side, XSX is quiet and quieter than non whining PS5’s (which to me are more than quiet enough), but not dead silent once the top fan starts moving air at a decent pace.

Last edited:

FranXico

I know some units got it and it's annoying. But the overblown bogus stories and thread spamming trying to make it as bad as the PS4 Pro jet engine make it hard to take seriously.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
P Panajev2001a FranXico FranXico

I can't speak for OP's intentions but to people that have it's a pretty big issue and is alot more widespread than the usually faulty hardware issues that usually cap at around 4% (on Neogaf it's at 15% for example). I think it's just a way people are venting their (justifiable) frustration, the same way there is so many Cyberpunk threads for example. I'm more inclined to think the more exposure on this issue the better it will be for everyone.

The console was marketed by Mark Cerny on been super quiet and for many of us with sensitive ears it's far, far worse than traditional fan noise as it's so high pitched and variable. It could drive you crazy once you know it's there. Plus it ruins a room having one box that does that out of a room full of expensive tech.

Last edited:

I can't speak for OP's intentions but to people that have it's a pretty big issue and is alot more widespread than the usually faulty hardware issues that usually cap at around 4% (on Neogaf it's at 15% for example). I think it's just a way people are venting their (justifiable) frustration, the same way there is so many Cyberpunk threads for example. I'm more inclined to think the more exposure on this issue the better it will be for everyone.

The console was marketed by Mark Cerny on been super quiet and for many of us with sensitive ears it's far, far worse than traditional fan noise as it's so high pitched and variable. It could drive you crazy once you know it's there. Plus it ruins a room having one box that does that out of a room full of expensive tech.

I'm wondering if there will be massive recalls if it's a component that's malfunctioning.

I've seen videos of people that don't have it so it certainly isn't something that's in all the systems.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

I understand that, you have every right to return it and I hope Sony does right by you. I am in no way saying that if you hear that noise you should take it and bear with it if it is so loud/annoying. Return it and give them hell.

I think Cerny’s claims are still valid though as what you and others are reporting is more akin to a manufacturing defect than a widespread design flaw.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I know some units got it and it's annoying. But the overblown bogus stories and thread spamming trying to make it as bad as the PS4 Pro jet engine make it hard to take seriously.
See, that is what I am feeling too. The issue is very annoying to those it occurs for, but so far it is a small manufacturing defect affecting a smal percentage of units of a product that sold millions (you could easily have hundreds of people with this problem and still no grounds for a class action lawsuit).

Spamming threads to ensure this is always on the front page sometimes just scream of Influencer Tactics 101, keep bad issue always visible and make sure people talk about it. Effective too as even people arguing against it/upset by it are still bumping the thread and keeping it alive.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
I understand that, you have every right to return it and I hope Sony does right by you. I am in no way saying that if you hear that noise you should take it and bear it if it is the loud/annoying. Return it and give them hell.

I think Cerny’s claims are still valid though as what you and others are reporting is more akin to a manufacturing defect than a widespread design

I get what your saying, either way it should not be the end users problem which I'm sure we both agree. Its up to Sony to ensure the manufacturing process especially in this regard given how they placed focus on it (and took up so much real estate).

I imagine it will likely be a stealth revision similar to the PS4 launch analogue sticks to avoid any kind of liability.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I get what your saying, either way it should not be the end users problem which I'm sure we both agree. Its up to Sony to ensure the manufacturing process especially in third regard given how they placed focus on it (and took up so much real estate).

I imagine it will likely be a stealth revision similar to the PS4 launch analogue sticks to avoid any kind of liability.
Possibly, I do not see them not trying to address it to improve the design further. It is their responsibility to address coil whine and or fan rattling against internal plastic label issues and the like. This is not a defect that is any way caused by how the user keeps their console.

I still think that given the state of PS4 Pro and given the challenges with PS5 cooling and power distribution that they have done an excellent job. Unfortunately, there is a small percentage of cases where the console is annoyingly noisy.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
coil whine can not be fixed. basically all electricals have it to some extent. the reason it's noticeable in GPUs is because there is so much current/voltage/load going through it. there are ways to reduce it but it will never go away completely.

to get rid of it would require completely changing the way we make electronics or maybe even change physics itself lol

Top Bottom