• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Devkit Patent finally fully disclosed

Evilms

Banned
SPOILER_zaY0WCz.png

supernova8

Banned
Seems odd that they would go to the trouble of designing such a cooling layout, and patent it and put it in the devkit if they weren't intending to make use of it.

Having said that, doesn't mean the console will look like that. Devkits usually seem to have extra components/compartments (for diagnostics and whatnot) so the console ought to be smaller.

I'd say it's reasonable to expect the cooling solution to be inside the final product and that it has been put into the devkit precisely because they want to check it actually works (in all kinds of conditions, different offices, different room temperatures, different obstacles around it potentially blocking airflow etc etc. Besides, I'd be cool with a design like what has been shown where the V-shaped empty space is notionally covered by vents or a plastic grill.

Moochi

I'm hoping the V notch is hiding a wireless charging plate for the controllers. It's a silly dream, but wireless charging for the new controllers would make me so happy.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
Why would you care if a Dev Kit is ugly, it’s only a prototype?
OP was talking about the internals not what it looks like. So yeah relax.

Now you dictate what I should care or comment about? You? The one triggered simply because I said in the thread: ugly as sin.

You are all in extreme damage control 24/7, relax a little and stop trying to police what other people say. Not everything is console wars, or at least it shouldn’t be.

B_Boss

Twice as thick as PS4 Pro
V-shaped dev kit.

I'm having a hard time believing that the PS5 is gonna be an attractive console.

You ever see the PS4 devkit?:

1bbk3htcxe211.jpg

...and of course the retail/launch design:

1280px-PS4-Console-wDS4.jpg

No basis for doubt on Sony’s part though I know like or dislike of design typically is subjective, etc. My point is that the launch design of playstation consoles have been shown to look significantly different from the devkits themselves.

kuncol02

Banned

No, it will not fit that cooling. That's like 6cm on front. Fans in patent have 80mm or 92mm and patent didn't shown lower 1/3 of device where drive is. That part also had lot's of air vents (Judging by devkit pictures and patent drawing). IF they will use same cooling on final one, then PS5 will need to be around 11mm thick minimum.

How do we know dev kits are using the exact same hw components the final retail units are? If they don't, there's no need to suggest both products have to use the same cooling system as well.

Breakage

I
You ever see the PS4 devkit?:

1bbk3htcxe211.jpg

...and of course the retail/launch design:

1280px-PS4-Console-wDS4.jpg

No basis for doubt on Sony’s part though I know like or dislike of design typically is subjective, etc. My point is that the launch design of playstation consoles have been shown to look significantly different from the devkits themselves.
I get that. But this time round the V design looks as if it is essential to the PS5's cooling system (I read it has six cooling fans). If it weren't essential, I'm sure the dev unit would have just been another unremarkable big box. I guess we will have to wait and see.

DESTROYA

Now you dictate what I should care or comment about? You? The one triggered simply because I said in the thread: ugly as sin.

You are all in extreme damage control 24/7, relax a little and stop trying to police what other people say. Not everything is console wars, or at least it shouldn’t be.
Then why do you make it always console wars?
Extreme damage control....lol , now your projecting what you think I’m doing? Suuuuree
You throw around all these words like triggered and I’m dictating like you actually know.
Nice try but you have no clue. You should learn to relax you seem on the edge over my opinion.
Relax take a breath, it’s not the end of the world . You seem the type to always have the last word to think they are right. Whatever we have gone off topic . If you want to continue DM me directly.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
I think this meme will age well:

kemgj1whjvg31.jpg

but we will find out eventually

The amount they have built up this cooling system AND having down clocks it better be substantially quieter lol.

I've spent alot on my sound system, I don't want quiet scenes to be like I'm in a factory 😂

They seem to have gone to town with the dev kit design which is quite unusual, I would be surprised if the retail model doesn't lend itself to the design somehow.

Jtibh

Banned
Obviously your life lacks mirth, but that's common with people that have anime avatars especially vintage ones.
I am sorry i didnt grew up with pokemon , only with one of the best series of the 80s with one of the best soundtracks out there.
Sorry that i asked a valid question that i expanded on and got propper answers.
Sorry i lack mirth , i am just an old grumpy white boy walking around with my maga hat and my 22 under my arm.
Sorry i lack the smarts to follow your thoughts how any of this is related to topic.

I will remove myself and descent into the darkness of my own asshole so i dont bother you anymore.

I am sorry i didnt grew up with pokemon , only with one of the best series of the 80s with one of the best soundtracks out there.
Sorry that i asked a valid question that i expanded on and got propper answers.
Sorry i lack mirth , i am just an old grumpy white boy walking around with my maga hat and my 22 under my arm.
Sorry i lack the smarts to follow your thoughts how any of this is related to topic.

I will remove myself and descent into the darkness of my own asshole so i dont bother you anymore.

99DRaR2.jpg

From what I gather, the V shape will likely stay in the consumer version. It seems to serve a functional purpose in increasing surface area for drawing air.
The protrusion will mostly be for housing two heat sinks. If it was just box shaped, I don't think Cerny would have played it up as something to look forward to/

yurinka

No, it will not fit that cooling. That's like 6cm on front. Fans in patent have 80mm or 92mm and patent didn't shown lower 1/3 of device where drive is. That part also had lot's of air vents (Judging by devkit pictures and patent drawing). IF they will use same cooling on final one, then PS5 will need to be around 11mm thick minimum.
There was a rumor/a guy who said PS5 will be 2x thicker than the previous one, which fits with these 11 cm you mention.

In addition to this, I think that this design misses the 6 fans in the sides. I assume the box will be rectangular like this one, but I think it will still have the 3 fans on each side like the devkit. And even if DualSense pads use wireless charging, they will have an USB as we saw. It will also need to be compatible with arcade sticks and legacy PS4 controllers, So PS5 will need at least 2 USB ports in the front side of the console.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
I got something that's 11cm that will fit.
Do you brag or complain?

can i just harvest some appreciation for predicting the cooling method almost spot on back in August ´19?
And yeah - Altissimaratio is me on reddit..

oh and btw im in love with Dev Kit Design.

Sony -

That's completely different cooling design. Only thing that's correct is airflow direction. To be fair after all that rumors and bragging about super extra cooling from Sony I also expected something like that.

D.Final

Banned
From what I gather, the V shape will likely stay in the consumer version. It seems to serve a functional purpose in increasing surface area for drawing air.
The protrusion will mostly be for housing two heat sinks. If it was just box shaped, I don't think Cerny would have played it up as something to look forward to/

I agree

Top Bottom