• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Die Shot has been revealed

MS automatically gets the privilege of saying Xbox supports all RDNA 2 features...of DX12U. They develop the DX api and will act like it’s a feature itself.

Both consoles are a bargain for the tech and performance you pay for, but they are definitely based on rdna2. Everyone seems to have their own definition of rdna2 based on whatever narrative they support. I believe the 7nm* tech is the only requirement to be based on rdna2.

Garani

click it in sure you will know that website

why Tom's hw didn't bothered to write an article saying the xbox isn't rdna2 for the same exact reason ,? maybe maybe because no one made so much rumor and rumor about it having a special sauce in the IC for a year like happened with ps5? maybe eh just maybe not sure about it
The problem isn't the article saying the truth in fact

Look, I have more respect of the people here on NeoGAF, trolls included, than an Italian fanboy journalist. And I am Italian, so I believe I am entitled to be critic of the amount of BS they tend to write.

In this particular case they do mention that the PS5 is not fully RDNA2, which we all knew about it since a year ago, and that it doesn't have IC, which it was just some rumor going around. Now, if a GPU needs to have IC to be fully RDNA2, then neither is the XSX/S: no console does have infinity cache.

But the problem is the PS5. Right.

Elog

Thanks for the knowledge, we needed it.

Maybe these lines are connecting the Caches.
They seem to end at the same points at the Caches.
It goes further - there are a lot more silicon between the memory interfaces that goes all the way to the central cache and memory control units as well. Something is up - seems suspiciously similar to some sort of shared cache function. There is not a lot of cache though unless there is some sort of off-die part (not likely).

John Wick

The article says it is not 100% RDNA2 because there is no Infinite Cache.

"making the console not fully RDNA 2 as previously thought.
What is missing from the appeal within PS5, it would seem to be the Infinity Cache..."

Do you know any other console that doesn't have Infinite Cache?
Ignore the guy already. He has a habit of taking one line and then using that as his proof. He never reads or understands the full article. He ignores the parts which contradict or opposing his agenda. Its futile having a reasonable discussion with this guy. He's still stuck on RGT even though he never stated any of his speculation as fact.

He says he is a PS fan now lol

Tô understand the situation is like Dealer become a PS fan and start to trash Xbox.

Outside that whatever side he is... he is crap.

Very odd that he changed side because i thought he would change it again because of GamePass and shitting on PS exclusives because 70$.😁

Last edited:
Ignore the guy already. He has a habit of taking one line and then using that as his proof. He never reads or understands the full article. He ignores the parts which contradict or opposing his agenda. Its futile having a reasonable discussion with this guy. He's still stuck on RGT even though he never stated any of his speculation as fact.

Check the post 1044. It's funny. 😁

John Wick

Exclusives for PS5 you say?...
Do you know where Ready At Down is now?

So, PS5 is not really RDNA 2.

But you trust Locuza and he is never wrong. OK then!

Yep. But check this out

Locuza :

tenor.gif

Can't stop laughing 😂.

Timestamped 5:08

MonarchJT can you get in touch with your man Locuza he never wrong? SX isn't fully RDNA2????
Breathe......................

MonarchJT

Banned

Yep. But check this out

Locuza :

tenor.gif

Can't stop laughing 😂.

Yep. But check this out

Locuza :

tenor.gif

Can't stop laughing 😂.

probably you don't know who they are:

"Formed in 2003, the company has primarily worked on games for the PlayStation Portable (PSP), most notably the Sony Computer Entertainment intellectual property God of War and Daxter."

Now they work for oculus but who never know as i don't expect Penello to talk bad about Ms i certainly don't expect them to don't praise the PlayStation.

Rdna2 as said of that sony ps5 software ps5 engineer don't mean anything if not a series of features they have must be supported to fit within that architecture. Ms claim to be the only one supporting all the features. Some IP (part of the soc) are very old, some are new, some old but better than rdna2 ...but in the end it means nothing if all features are supported. And as Locuza said xsx is. Enjoy his video and research. are very interesting

Azurro

Banned
just please man, everyone knows that the perfomance measurement of a console are not ONLY teraflops ... but you know? specifications and real hw in it always speak for itself and since Sony has hidden most of it, we are here for this reason. Finally we will can have a better idea of what the ps5 could do and what was pure fantasy (till now there was a lots of it with the red gaming guy)
As for Pessino as much as I respect him, a console as revolutionary as he seems to mean does not render with 40 +% less resolution than its direct rival in less than 2 months after release and when it "wins" it makes for 2 or 3 frames. Ready at dawn are company that made sony exclusives and that they will probably continue to do so. And after seeing the dieshot on one on the entire web is seeing anything so revolutionary ... It's just pr.

On the contrary we have famous outlet saying the opposite after the die shot Today Tom's Hardware italy has released 1 article where it says that the ps5 would seem be not really rdna2

You really should stop talking about topics you have no idea about. You use one example in Hitman when there are multiple instances of the opposite happening, such as Assassin's Creed where in multiple frames PS5 was drawing up to 40% more pixels while keeping a steadier framerate.

So far both machines trade blows and that's unlikely to change. Both have differences in design philosophies and one will be faster sometimes than the other in certain scenarios. However, you are here to validate your purchase while having no knowledge, so you contribute zero to the conversation or to this forum when it comes to this topic.

Last edited:

John Wick

just please man, everyone knows that the perfomance measurement of a console are not ONLY teraflops ... but you know? specifications and real hw in it always speak for itself and since Sony has hidden most of it, we are here for this reason. Finally we will can have a better idea of what the ps5 could do and what was pure fantasy (till now there was a lots of it with the red gaming guy)
As for Pessino as much as I respect him, a console as revolutionary as he seems to mean does not render with 40 +% less resolution than its direct rival in less than 2 months after release and when it "wins" it makes for 2 or 3 frames. Ready at dawn are company that made sony exclusives and that they will probably continue to do so. And after seeing the dieshot on one on the entire web is seeing anything so revolutionary ... It's just pr.

On the contrary we have famous outlet saying the opposite after the die shot Today Tom's Hardware italy has released 1 article where it says that the ps5 would seem be not really rdna2
Oh so the one game Hitman 3 is proof? Could be many reasons for the difference outside of hardware? You want us to ignore all the other games that have been released on both systems but take Hitman 3 as the proof?
This is why it's pointless discussing with a simpleton like yourself.

probably you don't know who they are:

"Formed in 2003, the company has primarily worked on games for the PlayStation Portable (PSP), most notably the Sony Computer Entertainment intellectual property God of War and Daxter."

Now they work for oculus but who never know as i don't expect Penello to talk bad about Ms i certainly don't expect them to don't praise the PlayStation.

That part doesn't matter anymore. You said that they will continue to do exclusives for PS, but they won't. If you knew where they are now and who bought them, you wouldn't say that they will continue to develop exclusive games for PS.

in the end it means nothing if all features are supported. And as Locuza said xsx is. Enjoy his video and research. are very interesting

Locuza said it is not. So, stick with that he is never wrong like you said nor don't spin his words. It is fucking pathetic what are you doing.

Last edited:

Thomish

Neither the PS5 nor the XSX are built like RDNA2 cards for PC. Both of them use RDNA2 as a base but each manufacturer configured them to their needs.

This isn't the same situation where one console uses GCN as a base and the other uses RDNA2 as a base for example.
This has literally been repeated at least 5 times in this thread. Why isn't it sticking? Why FUD?

HoofHearted

People obviously can't read, the Microsoft/AMD statement didn't say SERIES X was identical to RDNA2 cards, it said Series X has HARDWARE support for the RDNA2 features revealed that day, as in VRS, SFS and Mesh Shaders and was the only console to do so.
I think it's safe to say at this point based on the details captured to date:
  • Neither of these consoles are "identical" to (or implement full) RDNA2 architecture
  • Both of these consoles are "based" on RDNA2 architecture
  • Both of these consoles clearly are custom SoCs, utilizing (enhanced) components from both RDNA1 and RNDA2
  • Both provide specific hardware based improvements based on the target platform

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I last read this thread on page 7. It's on page 22...

Before I waste my time reading through the rest of this...is this a nothing burger or not?

ToTTenTranz

Banned
That slide alone tells about their priority of I/O andeliminating bottlenecks:

ps5-slides-08b-1440x810.png
ps5-slides-08b-1440x810.png

The size difference of that I/O Complex Box is huge in comparision to their CPU and GPU. Wich further underlines their Prioritys..

Asset streaming is the future and, beyond a certain GPU performance threshold, due to what they saw on Unreal Engine 5, every engine developer and their dogs are going to be focusing on exactly that.

Even the Metro dev team 4A, who were among the first developers implementing raytracing on PC and now have a large plethora of RT features in their engine, are saying asset streaming is the future and they'll need to keep up with it:

We have a huge fanbase that spans nicely across both consoles and PCs, so we are quite conservative about IO for now (read: old-school) at 4A Games. Even on my home PC I usually install games on HDD, as recent games are way too large for my SSD!
That would not be the case for exclusives when you could directly design the game around what is ultimately an unlimited memory, ‘cause streaming data in is about instant. That’s the future, definitely, we are just not there yet.

I would really like to see a more in-depth analysis of the I/O block on the PS5's SoC. How big is that ESRAM? And the Kraken decompressor capable of 22GB/s output?
That could also tell us how soon and for how much can we put something similar on PC hardware?

At this point I think analysing the I/O might be more important than measuring FPU sizes, but I guess it's also a lot harder to discern within the pictures.

People obviously can't read, the Microsoft/AMD statement didn't say SERIES X was identical to RDNA2 cards, it said Series X has HARDWARE support for the RDNA2 features revealed that day, as in VRS, SFS and Mesh Shaders and was the only console to do so.
Having the full RDNA2 ISA compatibility for DX12 Ultimate features on the SeriesX is important for Microsoft because of their strategy for doing simultaneous DX12 PC <-> XBox game releases.

It's not important for Sony, who have their own sandboxed and fully controlled environment. They aren't dependent on DX12's reference process for foveated rendering, geometry culling and others.
I.e. they're not dependent on what amounts to a consortium where Microsoft, AMD, nvidia, Intel and others have their say on how to process these features (and where nvidia probably pulls a lot more weight than the others).
It was AMD who had to adapt their hardware to Microsoft's DX12 specs for Navi2x and the Series SoCs, not the other way around.

Just like RDNA1 before it, RDNA2 is defined by a range of versions for WGP, ROP, Geometry Engine, etc. It's not defined by its supported features on DX12 Ultimate. Some games won't even use DX12, like the ones using idtech and Source engines.
Besides, AMD is so relaxed on their naming conventions that at some point they even called Vega to what amounts to a Polaris chip glued to a HBM chip.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
the summary is that, ps5 is very likely to have the worse avx256 performance because of cut hardware. pc and xbox games should finally move to avx256 as the minimum threshold.
Thanks for that. I'll have to look up what this "avx256" is. Not really familiar. If PC and Xbox move to avx256 as a minimum, would that mean some games can't play on PS5 or at least not as well? That doesn't seem to make sense, especially for multiplat games. By time this becomes the case, you would imagine PS5 pro would be a thing, no? On the other hand, if that is the only way they would be able to move on to avx256 as a minimum, would that mean there could be PS5 Pro exclusive games?

Completely speculation and I'm just trying to make sense of all this.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

Before I waste my time reading through the rest of this...is this a nothing burger or not?
The actual summary is this:

The 128bits theory doesn’t fit.
The remove of FADD doesn’t fit.
They don’t know what AMD/Sony did here.

People that knows are in NDA.

Elog

the summary is that, ps5 is very likely to have the worse avx256 performance because of cut hardware. pc and xbox games should finally move to avx256 as the minimum threshold.
This comment must be among the least value adding comments in a long time. Warring too much?

If you look at the Anandtech article, AVX seems to hold the whole XSX APU back due to thermal issues. Seems like a necessary evil for the XSX to serve as a server blade, i.e. a problem for the XSX and that Sony were fairly smart to strip at least significant parts of that out from the Zen2 microstructure.

Elog

Thanks for that. I'll have to look up what this "avx256" is. Not really familiar. If PC and Xbox move to avx256 as a minimum, would that mean some games can't play on PS5 or at least not as well? That doesn't seem to make sense, especially for multiplat games. By time this becomes the case, you would imagine PS5 pro would be a thing, no? On the other hand, if that is the only way they would be able to move on to avx256 as a minimum, would that mean there could be PS5 Pro exclusive games?

AVX doubles the amount of data the CPU can process with instructions on per clock. The problem is that power and hence thermals go through the roof. If you read the Anandtech article on this forum the AVX part of the XSX APU is the key limiting factor for the whole APU.

AVX does not add any functionality as such - you can just run 128-bit code over 2 clocks and be done with it. It adds CPU capacity if you have unlimited power and thermals though. This is however not true in a console - the limit is set by power and thermals.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

There is unknown things in PS5 SoC and the most surprised is that the FPU is around half of the size of a normal Zen 2's FPU (or even Zen 1's FPU) and that is leading to several theories like the lack of 256bits native support or the cut of FDAA.
But silicon to silicon comparisons are not matching either theories.

Outside that... the CPU is very similar to Zen 2 so it doesn't have the L3 shared cache of Zen 3.

In the GPU the core part is bigger than actual RDNA/RDNA2 GPUs while the others parts are very similar (CUs, TMUs, cache, etc).

There is a big part of the silicon (close to the size of the CPU) that probably is where the Tempest Engine, I/O Complex, additional cache for I/O (?), etc is but nobody knows where it is or how big it is.

The FPU Differences:

EuS-WEBXEAEliTP

EuSrpONXMAc-stz

Overall silicon layout (look there is some mistakes in the labels because the color were photoshoped like the 4MB L3 should be 2MB L3):

EuTIgxNXMAMhKZ_

The gray parts with no label is what we don't know what is.

Here is a Paint comparison with Series X with a lot of guesstimates:

EuTIhDVWYAE6VWg

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
There is unknown things in PS5 SoC and the most surprised is that the FPU is around half of the size of a normal Zen 2's FPU (or even Zen 1's FPU) and that is leading to several theories like the lack of 256bits native support or the cut of FDAA.

Outside that... the CPU is very similar to Zen 2 so it doesn't have the L3 shared cache of Zen 3.

In the GPU the core part is bigger than actual RDNA/RDNA2 GPUs while the others parts are very similar (CUs, TMUs, cache, etc).

There is a big part of the silicon (close to the size of the CPU) that probably is where the Tempest Engine, I/O Complex, additional cache for I/O (?), etc is but nobody knows where it is or how big it is.

The FPU Differences:

EuS-WEBXEAEliTP

EuSrpONXMAc-stz

Overall silicon layout (look there is some mistakes in the labels because the color were photoshoped like the 4MB L3 should be 2MB L3):

EuTIgxNXMAMhKZ_

EuTIhDVWYAE6VWg
No shot we actually hear from Sony or AMD on what the unknown parts are?

longdi

Banned
This comment must be among the least value adding comments in a long time. Warring too much?

If you look at the Anandtech article, AVX seems to hold the whole XSX APU back due to thermal issues. Seems like a necessary evil for the XSX to serve as a server blade, i.e. a problem for the XSX and that Sony were fairly smart to strip at least significant parts of that out from the Zen2 microstructure.
Yes i read the AT article, not sure if it is coincidental to drop it with ps5 die reveal.
But it is another open look at the designs behind SX. MS is not afraid to show us how and why they designed SX this way, from the CPU core clocks, to the power requirements, to the choice of 'y' CUs at a 'x' clock speeds to ensure yields and sustained performance across their design goals.

No where does it state anything about avx256 was a 'problem' that needs some cutting, or a necessary evil doubling as a blade server.
Please for christ sake, drop that FUD spun by geordiemp geordiemp .
Do you not realise he is missing now that more real information is out? 🤷‍♀️

As compared to Mark on 256bit instructions as captured by NXGamer NXGamer , you do your own intepretation...

Last edited:
Or could it be that these are 1st generation ports of old games on New hardware? I don't think any developers have scratched the surface of what these machines are capable of.Why don't we wait until the RDNA 2 features are utilized before we make judgements on the power narrative.

Agree entirely. That's another greatly overlooked aspect. It's how we went from COD 2 on 360 struggling to maintain its 60fps to COD 4 looking significantly better while having excellent 60fps performance. They, rather than just porting over their older title or a game that was already in development/targeting something else, they were now building with a greater understanding of the underlying architecture and targeting those areas of strength, better avoiding areas of weakness.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Yes i read the AT article, not sure if it is coincidental to drop it with ps5 die reveal.
But it is another open look at the designs behind SX. MS is not afraid to show us how and why they designed SX this way, from the CPU core clocks, to the power requirements, to the choice of 'y' CUs at a 'x' clock speeds to ensure sustained performance across their design goals.

No where does it state anything about avx256 was a 'problem' until it needs to but cut, or necessary evil as a blade server.
Do you not realised he is missing now that more real information is out now ? 🤷‍♀️
In the end, for laymen like me, what matters are the results right? On the one hand you get games that look like Demon's Souls now. In the future we would expect things to just get better. I guess the question is where is the ceiling for either console and how long before the differences in architecture start to truly reveal themselves.

longdi

Banned
In the end, for laymen like me, what matters are the results right? On the one hand you get games that look like Demon's Souls now. In the future we would expect things to just get better. I guess the question is where is the ceiling for either console and how long before the differences in architecture start to truly reveal themselves.

Yes but until then, every bits and pieces reveal makes for fun conversation and crow serving. The clearer we get to how each consoles are designed, and who did a better job for the asking price. The kind of talk people have in every other hobby forums.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Look, I have more respect of the people here on NeoGAF, trolls included, than an Italian fanboy journalist. And I am Italian, so I believe I am entitled to be critic of the amount of BS they tend to write.
Good, so you can enjoy the following (depending on your age, oh my I am ooold ;)):

4jaYwKq.jpg

:)

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
But it is another open look at the designs behind SX. MS is not afraid to show us how and why they designed SX this way, from the CPU core clocks, to the power requirements, to the choice of 'y' CUs at a 'x' clock speeds to ensure yields and sustained performance across their design goals.

No where does it state anything about avx256 was a 'problem' that needs some cutting, or a necessary evil doubling as a blade server.
Do you not realise he is missing now that more real information is out? 🤷‍♀️

As compared to Mark on 256bit instructions as captured by NXGamer NXGamer , you do your own intepretation...
On the other side you are attached to this AVX-256 as if it was the most important thing in the world for you... even when people are not even sure what actually happened with the FPU yet. Like a concern drum “oh my it is missing, that must be a problem, a scary problem... right? Right?” ;).

Lysandros

Asset streaming is the future and, beyond a certain GPU performance threshold, due to what they saw on Unreal Engine 5, every engine developer and their dogs are going to be focusing on exactly that.

Even the Metro dev team 4A, who were among the first developers implementing raytracing on PC and now have a large plethora of RT features in their engine, are saying asset streaming is the future and they'll need to keep up with it:

I would really like to see a more in-depth analysis of the I/O block on the PS5's SoC. How big is that ESRAM? And the Kraken decompressor capable of 22GB/s output?
That could also tell us how soon and for how much can we put something similar on PC hardware?

At this point I think analysing the I/O might be more important than measuring FPU sizes, but I guess it's also a lot harder to discern within the pictures.

Having the full RDNA2 ISA compatibility for DX12 Ultimate features on the SeriesX is important for Microsoft because of their strategy for doing simultaneous DX12 PC <-> XBox game releases.

It's not important for Sony, who have their own sandboxed and fully controlled environment. They aren't dependent on DX12's reference process for foveated rendering, geometry culling and others.
I.e. they're not dependent on what amounts to a consortium where Microsoft, AMD, nvidia, Intel and others have their say on how to process these features (and where nvidia probably pulls a lot more weight than the others).
It was AMD who had to adapt their hardware to Microsoft's DX12 specs for Navi2x and the Series SoCs, not the other way around.

Just like RDNA1 before it, RDNA2 is defined by a range of versions for WGP, ROP, Geometry Engine, etc. It's not defined by its supported features on DX12 Ultimate. Some games won't even use DX12, like the ones using idtech and Source engines.
Besides, AMD is so relaxed on their naming conventions that at some point they even called Vega to what amounts to a Polaris chip glued to a HBM chip.
What an excellent post, thanks for your input.

longdi

Banned
On the other side you are attached to this AVX-256 as if it was the most important thing in the world for you... even when people are not even sure what actually happened with the FPU yet. Like a concern drum “oh my it is missing, that must be a problem, a scary problem... right? Right?” ;).
We gone through a gen of underwhelming crappy mobile cpu. There's excitement at what avx256 may bring. I expressed such excitement before, so its not a sudden for me.

If ms can run or bursty avx256 on SS/SX and sustained the rest of the system, thats an applaud for me. Do you feel like ms knows they designed a better system, they knows there is no secret sauce, but they can 100% be certain, so they are went about being as open as possible wrt to their design philosophy, hence we see another drop at AT yesterday..

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
We gone through a gen of underwhelming crappy mobile cpu. There's excitement at what avx256 may bring. I expressed such excitement before, so its not a sudden for me.

If ms can run or bursty avx256 on SS/SX and sustained the rest of the system, thats an applaud for me. Do you feel like ms knows they designed a better system, they knows there is no secret sauce, but they can 100% be certain, so they are went about being as open as possible wrt to their design philosophy, hence we see another drop at AT yesterday..

Interesting “Sony must have something to hide” F.U.D. but at the end there ;). I am not sure more than a handful of people are really or have been really into AVX-256 support in Ryzen 1 vs Ryzen 2 like nobody was when Jaguar had been announced to support single cycle AVX-128... and right now we are still finding a lower clocked CPU (100-300 MHz) with supposedly slower (but not half speed in practice, check performance of Ryzen 1 to Ryzen 2 in FP code, it grows but not 2x AFAIK).

Sony stopped doing deep dives in the SoC with the PS3. What does that tell you then about their faith in the PS4 SoC then ;)?

Ok so it's sorcery. Alien Technology. Secret Sauce, as they say. Cerny is a mad scientist apparently.

OK. You asked for explanation what 256-bit instructions means because you said by yourself that you're laymen ( me too actually ). But why now you're mocking PS5?

I can applaud myself more because "supposedly" 256 bit CPU instructions with variable clocks on PS5 performs better in some games.

The right question should actually be: why the XSX is not performing like a 12tf RDNA GPU? Because the PS5 does seem to perform like a 10tf GPU.

In fact, I have a question on my side but how can you say that the XsX is not performing like a 12tf RDNA GPU ?

The FPU Differences:

EuS-WEBXEAEliTP

EuSrpONXMAc-stz

EuTIgxNXMAMhKZ_

EuTIhDVWYAE6VWg

I have fastly played the same game for the XsX die, I would have detailed the GPU like that. Possible that I have done mistakes, but for me his is how are placed the subparts of the GPU and all the CUs etc... :messenger_grinning_squinting:

BedWxFq.jpg

LordOfChaos

Can't believe this thread is 20 pages long.
What on earth is going on in here?

Weren't here for this one? We have a ways to go :p

Jigsaah

Gold Member
OK. You asked for explanation what 256-bit instructions means because you said by yourself that you're laymen ( me too actually ). But why now you're mocking PS5?

I can applaud myself more because "supposedly" 256 bit CPU instructions with variable clocks on PS5 performs better in some games.
No I was being serious about Cerny. If games like Demon's Souls exist while the implication is that the tech in the PS5 is missing some features and the die itself includes tech that few people can identify, then it's not that much different than magic at this point.

Cerny may have introduced techniques in his design that demonstrate his uncanny understanding of how the hardware works together. I mean, he's a damn genius as far as I'm concerned. I'm much more impressed with someone being able to do more with less (at least, on it's face).

Of course he doesn't get all the credit. None of this matters without the talent and creativity to make it work. Bluepoint devs are just as versed in wizardry.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
That part doesn't matter anymore. You said that they will continue to do exclusives for PS, but they won't. If you knew where they are now and who bought them, you wouldn't say that they will continue to develop exclusive games for PS.

Locuza said it is not. So, stick with that he is never wrong like you said nor don't spin his words. It is fucking pathetic what are you doing.
as always bending the reality he said yes

Lysandros

In fact, I have a question on my side but how can you say that the XsX is not performing like a 12tf RDNA GPU ?

I have fastly played the same game for the XsX die, I would have detailed the GPU like that. Possible that I have done mistakes, but for me his is how are placed the subparts of the GPU and all the CUs etc... :messenger_grinning_squinting:

BedWxFq.jpg
Thanks for this. Aren't the CPU clusters too far apart compared to PS5's, possible latency implications? Also, can't we compare the size of GE's based on that?

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
Weren't here for this one? We have a ways to go :p

234 pages?
I never would have imagined.
I guess I was too busy enjoying my WiiU (which I still have) instead of doing.....whatever it is that happened in that thread.

FritzJ92

wars podcast GIF

Honestly you come here for some honest technical analysis, yet the thread is just muddied with fanboyism. There's a lot of good discussion in here, it's just a shame it's surrounded by such a shit show sometimes.
Beyond3D usually keeps things technical but I enjoy seeing fanboys lose their crap over plastics that essentially take money from them and they brag about it

LordOfChaos

234 pages?
I never would have imagined.
I guess I was too busy enjoying my WiiU (which I still have) instead of doing.....whatever it is that happened in that thread.

For some of us analyzing the technology itself is enjoyable. Anyone is of course free to not care and just play the games.

Damn, we lost some good people from that Wii U die shot thread, eh?

AVX is for matrix vector operations, it's better done on the GPU, in a system where the CPU/GPU are on the same die, they access the same memory, etc. And there is no legacy code you probably need AVX on the CPU as much as you need an appendix.

But it's there on one of the machines, so it must be the most important feature for performance.

Top Bottom