• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 DUALSENSE: 8 Ways Adaptive Triggers Could Improve Immersion | PlayStation 5 (Push Square)

splattered

Ohhhh wait a second.

I didn't realize the dualsense triggers actually had a mechanic that made the triggers more difficult to press in depending on what was happening on screen???

I thought it was just more expressive rumble feedback like HD rumble on the Switch.

Yeah if that's the case there is no way these things are going to be less than $70 each.

Depending on how wacky devs get with this feature i can see people just turning off the feature altogether vs fighting with the resistance of the triggers... and imagine smaller kids trying to play games and struggling to press triggers.

This really feels like a double edge sword now.

JLMC469

Banned
What, that stinky fish? Pssh.

c66556087ab73db4e9b9da14f9180c1a.gif

onQ123

Ohhhh wait a second.

I didn't realize the dualsense triggers actually had a mechanic that made the triggers more difficult to press in depending on what was happening on screen???

I thought it was just more expressive rumble feedback like HD rumble on the Switch.

Yeah if that's the case there is no way these things are going to be less than $70 each.

Depending on how wacky devs get with this feature i can see people just turning off the feature altogether vs fighting with the resistance of the triggers... and imagine smaller kids trying to play games and struggling to press triggers.

This really feels like a double edge sword now.

Yes that's why they are called "Adaptive Triggers" should be good for shooting games if they can nail the feeling of pulling a real trigger.

The media tried to confuse people by saying stuff to make people think it was the same as the rumble triggers on Xbox One controller.

Talking over the footage below, most of which was shown during the PS5 showcase, Smith explained how Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart players would practically use the DualSense’s adaptive triggers and haptic feedback.
psBa62XqepCqrpq3AbrwtJ-1024-80.jpg

“It also lets you know how the weapon is behaving,” Smith said. “One of the examples is the Enforcer, it’s a double-barrelled shotgun. It uses the adaptive triggers to give you tension as you’re moving your finger down halfway, you can fire one barrel.

“You pull it all the way down, you can fire both barrels. But all along the way, you can feel the difference between the tension tightening up.”

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Haptic Feedback is improved vibration as far as i know .. Adaptive Triggers is
changing the R2 L2 level of resistance
Yeah it's an attempt to simulate resistance vs. actual resistance.

I think MS even backed off on ever trying to claim it simulate's resistance lol, it doesn't really work.. like you said, it's basically rumble, but it is "directional" so it pushes back at you a bit.

Not sure if Xbox One triggers have 8 levels too... I think it's less than that? That's a bigger deal for 3rd party games I think.

Dnice1

Headpone jack, Mics, speakers, touchpad, gyro, haptics, adptive triggers. 50% more battery, new design. PS5 is going to be expensive.

jaysius

Banned
SDF site waxing poetic about possibilities that few 3rd party developers will be willing to waste their time with, just like the touchpad on the DS4.

This video is pure fluff, and a Sony fan's wet dream that will never come to pass.

Last edited:

onQ123

WTF !
I did have an impression that Adaptive Triggers was already implemented this gen in the xbox 1 controller

LOL media control

You can blame outlets like this for the misinformation

https://www.gamesradar.com/how-will...-look-to-the-xbox-one-controller-for-answers/

No but some people have tried to make it out like this is the same thing as the rumble triggers.

Hopefully it catch on fast & force MS to add it to the controller within the 1st year or so.

IntentionalPun

The touchpad is just too different for a dev to really utilize, and honestly isn't that great in the first place.

Triggers that can have resistance are kind of a no-brainer for devs, including 3rd party.... I could see them getting a ton of use.

Games on Xbox will rumble at you, games on PS5 will have real resistance. This isn't some mindblowing difference, but it will feel better.

onQ123

Xbox One triggers have some haptic feedback functionality.

The DualSense tech sounds a lot more advanced and precise though.

Xbox One controller used the same rumble motors we have been using for years but also had smaller motors connected to the triggers.

DualSense haptic feedback & Adaptive triggers are 2 different things the rumble is coming from Voice coil motors so it can be controlled like you control sound output with different frequencies & the adaptive triggers can change resistance.

The touchpad is just too different for a dev to really utilize, and honestly isn't that great in the first place.

Triggers that can have resistance are kind of a no-brainer for devs, including 3rd party.... I could see them getting a ton of use.

Games on Xbox will rumble at you, games on PS5 will have real resistance. This isn't some mindblowing difference, but it will feel better.
Oh boy, why you want to make it into another console war.

Most people really don't care about rumble that much. It's not a fucking vibrator.

GenericUser

I wonder, is haptic feedback limited to the L2/R2 buttons or does the the whole gamepad get them(especially the analogue sticks)?

IntentionalPun

Oh boy, why you want to make it into another console war.

Most people really don't care about rumble that much. It's not a fucking vibrator.
How in the world is that a console war post?

You can compare 2 systems without console warring.

And why in the world would I care what "most people" care about? That's... a console war mentality actually. I think the triggers sound cool.. why would it matter to me if other's don't care? That's for Sony to worry about not me.

Last edited:
They should've called it for what it is: Force Feedback.

Could've prevented a lot of confusion. Looking forward to what it feels like and how tiring it is (I hate the trigger rumble of the Xbox One Gamepad, it hurts my fingers after 30 minutes in racing games. lol)

How in the world is that a console war post?

You can compare 2 systems without console warring.

And why in the world would I care what "most people" care about? That's... a console war mentality actually. I think the triggers sound cool.. why would it matter to me if other's don't care? That's for Sony to worry about not me.
I like comparing things myself... Mostly things that are out on the market and that I used myself.

I also don't like to repeat marketing talking points because that's just stupid.

Personally I can't wait to try this new controller out but I'm remaining skeptical. Too many controller gimmicks in the previous generation and the only great new feature (paddles) was left exclusively to more expensive controllers.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Personally I can't wait to try this new controller out but I'm remaining skeptical. Too many controller gimmicks in the previous generation and the only great new feature (paddles) was left exclusively to more expensive controllers.

Yeah I mean.. I'll judge it when I actually have a chance to try it too.

I suppose I should have said "They will allegedly feel better" instead of "They will feel better."

You can trust I am no console warrior lol.. I'm the anti-console warrior here.. I like both companies, and am skeptical of both companies...

But the tech does sound cool and I have used other force feedback systems that essentially use all the same stuff.. and I personally really like that stuff. In the end it's pretty basic, and I don't have a lot of reason to think it won't feel awesome. Now will it be reliable? Will the controllers last, etc.? That's a separate issue.. and hell maybe it will suck, but it's hard to expect that it will.

Last edited:
Yeah I mean.. I'll judge it when I actually have a chance to try it too.

I suppose I should have said "They will allegedly feel better" instead of "They will feel better."

You can trust I am no console warrior lol.. I'm the anti-console warrior here.. I like both companies, and am skeptical of both companies...
Ok, sorry maybe I jumped to conclusions too quickly. This forum is full of people that I swear are getting paid to be mouthpieces for these corporations. It's either this or they are mentally challenged, I'm not entirely sure.

❤️

Tripolygon

Banned
The difference between the Xbox One rumble trigger and PS5 DualSense Adaptive triggers.

Rumble triggers are literally just miniaturized ERM motors placed behind the triggers, that's been the same since the first Dualshock 1.
GENUINE-ORIGONAL-Replacement-Part-Xbox-One-Controller-Rumble.jpg
JMf3KbcUuN11wBUU.large

DualShock 1, DS2 and Xbox 360 controllers. Same basic DC motor with counterweight to create rumble when the motor rotates.
dualshock.jpg
q14fCahOEHIYdiRG.huge
pud0dipi79341.jpg

DualSense Adaptive triggers is a whole programable mechanism that creates tension when you pull the triggers. It pushes back at you.

GupIm6M.png

These are entirely 2 difference things. What Sony is doing is replicating the same feeling you get when you use Steering wheel accessories that has force feedback as well as tension that creates resistance when you try to turn the steering wheel.

Coupled with that, they have changed their haptics mechanism from regular ERM motors to VCAs akin to switch LRAs.

Switch LRA on the left and an example of a VCA on the right.
QUwSFAW.gif
FKHG7wz.gif

Sony has stepped up their haptics feedback game.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Talking over the footage below, most of which was shown during the PS5 showcase, Smith explained how Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart players would practically use the DualSense’s adaptive triggers and haptic feedback.
psBa62XqepCqrpq3AbrwtJ-1024-80.jpg

“It also lets you know how the weapon is behaving,” Smith said. “One of the examples is the Enforcer, it’s a double-barrelled shotgun. It uses the adaptive triggers to give you tension as you’re moving your finger down halfway, you can fire one barrel.

“You pull it all the way down, you can fire both barrels. But all along the way, you can feel the difference between the tension tightening up.”

That's very interesting. Can't wait to see if I like this change or not. It sounds cool.

splattered

This controllers gonna be 80 dollars, guaranteed.

I am thinking same thing... $80 minimum.

No wonder they are blocking the Dualshock 4, they know people won't buy these things otherwise.

Sony made such weird decisions with the PS5 next gen.

Overkill controller, overkill audio, overkill SSD.

I know i know "They are pushing boundaries!"

Still feel like they should have spent more on the console power overall vs all this gimmick crap.

Ironically, it works best in Steam. Mapping the touchpad in an ancient game like Thief as a quick item menu is a godsend as if the PS4 controller was designed for the game in the first place.

- And it didn't even involve any development designed for it.... at alll

Last edited:

onQ123

I am thinking same thing... $80 minimum.

No wonder they are blocking the Dualshock 4, they know people won't buy these things otherwise.

Sony made such weird decisions with the PS5 next gen.

Overkill controller, overkill audio, overkill SSD.

I know i know "They are pushing boundaries!"

Still feel like they should have spent more on the console power overall vs all this gimmick crap.
And that's why they are going to overkill the competition who under did it

Sintoid

Usuallly those gymmick are supported only by first party games, there's no way EA, Activision or Ubisoft make special control features just for one platform among the 4 (Sony, Ms, Nintendo and PC)

Unless dualsense drivers will be available for PC wich could be a good solution...

Top Bottom