• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Firmware Update 21.01-03.20.00.04 Out Now

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
So far transferring games from console to external storage seems alot faster. I did a 7GB game in under a minute, I'm using an NVMe in an external enclosure.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I don't get it 😂😂 is it a meme or summit

lol no, there are a certain group of posters in every PS5 game post here that love to immediately nitpick and adamantly go after posters that say the graphics look Pixar quality.

This is despite the fact that even many site reviews say that same. It's just comical because it happens literally in every PS5 game thread, every time lol

Last edited:

graywolf323

Wonder if it fixes the glitchy rest mode
I really hope so, the last update at least made it so that my system didn't fully power off due to the rest mode glitch (instead I just had to send an error report most times I turned the console back on but at least my suspended games hadn't closed)

Blond

Banned

PS5 System Update:

- Support for internal NVMe SSD

- Add folders

- Add dynamic theme function

- Add VRR support

- Add 1440p support

- Add BC for PS1, PS2, and PS3.

Scared Wake Up GIF by ABC Network

Its just a dream.....​

Ugh you son of a bitch I looked away and thought this was the actual patch notes.

yurinka

Wow! Much performace! So stable!

P.S: Please add VRR, folders and sorting options soon

Did the controller update move the left analogue stick to the correct position?
That was already included in PS1 when they released the first Dual Shock

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I did not find anything different at all.

Well there is that PIXAR words only.

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member

PS5 System Update:

- Support for internal NVMe SSD

- Add folders

- Add dynamic theme function

- Add VRR support

- Add 1440p support

- Add BC for PS1, PS2, and PS3.

Scared Wake Up GIF by ABC Network

Its just a dream.....​

It took me a second to realize this was just a joke. My eyes were immediately drawn to VRR Support.

When Sony, when??

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
The new ui is such a downgrade from the ps4, icons are too small, dont like the quick menu, we need better organizing tools for our game, store is nice and fast, but its shit in terms of finding games, where is top selling, top rated etc, and why are ps4 games separated lol, its all over the place.

The new UI is a clusterfuck.

Social stuff is buried.

Loneliest ps since ps2.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It took me a second to realize this was just a joke. My eyes were immediately drawn to VRR Support.

When Sony, when??
Supposedly it's been done, but the hold up is the HDMA2.1 board certifying the standard. Sony be that way when it comes to universal standards.

KAL2006

Banned
I just want the SSD expansion unlocked. Is it when of those features that will take over a year like the promised VRR feature on my Sony TV.

Duchess

Being serious now.

I put in DOOM Eternal and Spider-Man Miles Morales, to check the noise of the drive, and I think it's actually a bit quieter now than before. I don't have Ghost of Tsushima to try it with. That game was really noisy.

Might be imagining it, though.

The controller also received an update.
God fucking damnit. I don't have a PS5 and I'm waiting on my midnight black dualsense to arrive at GameStop and I will have no way of updating the firmware. I was really hoping it would have the latest but nope outdated before it even hit the streets. Terrible. There needs to be a way to update these things through a PC. If they're going to sell their PS Now platform there, and support the controller, then we need firmware updates on PC too.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
God fucking damnit. I don't have a PS5 and I'm waiting on my midnight black dualsense to arrive at GameStop and I will have no way of updating the firmware. I was really hoping it would have the latest but nope outdated before it even hit the streets. Terrible. There needs to be a way to update these things through a PC. If they're going to sell their PS Now platform there, and support the controller, then we need firmware updates on PC too.
It’ll still work just fine without the updates, just not as refined I’d imagine, not that I’ve noticed a difference thus far.

PLAYSTATION 5 FIRMWARE UPDATE - 21.01-03.20.00.04
  1. Added further support for firmware revison numbering that is far longer than it has ever been, for anything, EVER!
  2. Please see upcoming firmware 21.05-07.18.23.74.66.13.15.69.14.47.44.58.41.25.57.57.54.14.98.35.31.46.79.32.42.55.63.52.41.63.81.76.25.72.41.76.75.72.96.36.14.78.46.14.12.22.24.25.78.47.56.42.76.36.34.11.46.46.74.12.42.36.34.69.42.46.78.54.23.45 for futher details.
Fantastic, it's the one thing that I'd been hoping for but thought I'd never get.

giphy.gif

Duchess

Yeah, what the hell is it with version numbers for some firms? I can understand:

[Major].[Minor].[Release]

where Major moves rarely, Minor most often, and Release is bug fixes for Major and Minor revisions. So, one might expect:

1.3.0 for the PS5 firmware right now.

Or even just the date:

But this:

21.01-03.20.00.04

The only thing I can get from that is it was a 2021 release :)

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Just a small thing I'd like.To be able to hold down the PS button to bring up the menu to turn off or put the Ps5 into rest mode.
Also the ability to move the icons along the bottom in any order I like.

HoofHearted

Yeah, what the hell is it with version numbers for some firms? I can understand:

[Major].[Minor].[Release]

where Major moves rarely, Minor most often, and Release is bug fixes for Major and Minor revisions. So, one might expect:

1.3.0 for the PS5 firmware right now.

Or even just the date:

But this:

21.01-03.20.00.04

The only thing I can get from that is it was a 2021 release :)
Most likely related to Agile sprints (and many companies have different numbering schemes).

Most teams now focus on delivering based on targeting quarterly release windows.

If I had to guess:

[Year].[Quarter].[Major].[Minor].[Release/Revision]
[21].[01-03 (first quarter)].[20].[00].[04]

Top Bottom