• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Firmware update features wishlist.

JeloSWE

HDR always on is a really bad idea for LCD TVs. Most exhibits raised blacks and blooming issues in that mode so playing an SRD title on PS5 vill look noticeably worse than on PS4. This really sucks but I'm hoping one can turn HDR off in the settings at least, but it will be a pain in the ass having to go there and do it manually if you are switching between SDR and HDR titles.

The default behavior should be to have HDR turn it self off when launching an SDR title.

Fake

I just read, but the topic is about firmware , not PSN. Besides Sony just removed that

I asked for you to read the conversation, not to came into conclusion. I explain 'why' I asked a full wishlist support, not limited to the PS5, but to the html version as well.

There are no demands here. Feel free to ignore my list.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Found another feature that was available on the PS4 but isn't anywhere to be seen on the PS5 (someone correct me please, if I'm wrong).

On the PS4 you could select a game and see it's available addon (DLC) from the PlayStation Store. You can still do this on the PS5. However, on the PS4 there was a button that said "See all of your addons" which would show you a list of the DLC you owned, and it was easy to just go down the list and download everything straight from that page. This doesn't seem to be possible on the PS5.

Some games have tons and tons of DLC. My personal frustration for this came from Rock Band 4 - I can browse through the list of literally thousands of songs available trying to hunt down all of them that I own so that I can download them, but this process is literally going to take hours.

Tygeezy

120 hz. auto low latency mode, variable refresh rate, and full chroma 444 need to be added asap. As well as color space and format matching so sdr content is played in sdr and not tonemapped hdr, and then properly switching to hdr for content that is hdr.

aclar00

Restriction the home damn thing....its just combersome in my opinion. im sure they will clean it up, but damn....unless im missing something, check to see whos online and messaging them is a pain in the ass. They should move that entire bar above Games and Media and have it always visible. Pressing PS button would just take you to it.

Turning off the console is a chore too...another option is to make the PS button have 2 functions, one for pressing and one for holding....the holding option should be entirely customizable to what you want...

P.S. (no pun intended), I much rather have a round PS button.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Does anyone know if there's some special sauce with the Xbox OS that wouldn't allow the Quick Resume on PS5?
If I remember correctly, the "secret sauce" in the Xbox OS is how they implemented Hyper-V for games. There have been major advancements in virtualization, and Hyper-V in particular, since the Xbox One started using it 7 years ago. The virtualized architecture and containerized nature of each game makes it trivially easy to snapshot (dump memory to disk) which is how Quick Resume works. In the case of Xbox, multiple game snapshots are automatically managed by the OS until they get to be a particular size (every game is different) and then the oldest are rotated out.

There is nothing stopping PlayStation from setting up a feature like this, but I would imagine it would be 1) much slower than Microsoft's implementation as they've literally had a decade's head start to optimize the technology and 2) would consume more of the PS5's already precious disk space.

But never say never...

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
- Sort out the crashes, freezes, bugs
- VRR support
- Auto switch between SDR and HDR option
- Store PS5 games on external drive
- Improve load speeds on BC games
- PS1 Classics and PSP Support (Sony already have emulators for both systems)
- PS2 Classics to have native PS5 versions instead of BC PS4 versions
- Remove trophy restrictions so more publishers can easily release PS1/PS1/PSP games on PS5
- All games have a activity card for load last checkpoint/save so we can skip intro and menus universally

Elios83

It has been a bit of time since the last firmware updates that were mostly focused on bugs fixing.
So I guess they're now working on implementing new features.

Most wanted for me:

1)Being able to install an extra SSD inside the PS5. Let us know which models are compatible (if any atm...). The internal SSD is just too small especially if you like to take videocaptures while playing games like me.

2)Just fix and complete the HDMI2.1 video output stuff. 8K support is promised on the box and it's not there, VRR support, 4K RGB 120Hz + HDR+VRR support without bugs.

3)Folders and themes support should be back asap.

4)L2/R2 support to do fast forward/backward in videocaptures.

5)Trophies need to be organized a bit better, the progression percentage within a level isn't visible anymore, also the cards given to each trophy are kinda big so you have to scroll a lot horizontally to see all the trophies and to showcase the infos about hidden trophies it was much faster on PS4 (just press square).

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It has been a bit of time since the last firmware updates that were mostly focused on bugs fixing.
So I guess they're now working on implementing new features.

Most wanted for me:

1)Being able to install an extra SSD inside the PS5. Let us know which models are compatible (if any atm...). The internal SSD is just too small especially if you like to take videocaptures while playing games like me.

2)Just fix and complete the HDMI2.1 video output stuff. 8K support is promised on the box and it's not there, VRR support, 4K RGB 120Hz + HDR+VRR support without bugs.

3)Folders and themes support should be back asap.

4)L2/R2 support to do fast forward/backward in videocaptures.

5)Trophies need to be organized a bit better, the progression percentage within a level isn't visible anymore, also the cards given to each trophy are kinda big so you have to scroll a lot horizontally to see all the trophies and to showcase the infos about hidden trophies it was much faster on PS4 (just press square).
1) should happen NOW. If the SSD does not meet the speed standards then allow it to be AT LEAST a place to store PS5 games that aren't being played.
2). Duh

Paulxo87

I want rest mode fixed. It crashes 20% of the time.

I also want the issue fixed where if a disk is inside of PS5 it will periodically rev up and spin the disk regardless if you are playing that game or not. It's fucking retarded.

FUBARx89

Fixing all the reported issues with downloading, game icons remaining you can't delete and whatever's wrong with rest mode plus external drive would be a good start.

I know it's not perfect, but restore licences gets rid of the icons for me.

-Redeisgn the party chat system, it's a proper bag of shit messing about in game base. Half the time I don't get invites from them.
-Themes. I miss my ps4 themes
-Fix external HDD problems and crashes in rest mode.

evanft

If I remember correctly, the "secret sauce" in the Xbox OS is how they implemented Hyper-V for games. There have been major advancements in virtualization, and Hyper-V in particular, since the Xbox One started using it 7 years ago. The virtualized architecture and containerized nature of each game makes it trivially easy to snapshot (dump memory to disk) which is how Quick Resume works. In the case of Xbox, multiple game snapshots are automatically managed by the OS until they get to be a particular size (every game is different) and then the oldest are rotated out.

There is nothing stopping PlayStation from setting up a feature like this, but I would imagine it would be 1) much slower than Microsoft's implementation as they've literally had a decade's head start to optimize the technology and 2) would consume more of the PS5's already precious disk space.

But never say never...

The virtualization is also what allows Xbox One games to access more of the Series X's hardware capabilities vs. the PS5 and why there aren't really any XBone games with issues on Series X.

ButchCat

- Add a profile option that shows your top three fav games. I share what I listen to but I can't share this, really Sony?
- For trophy hunters, add a profile option that shows the top three trophies you're most proud of.
- The option to delete a trophy list for a game even if you unlocked some trophies.

Interfectum

The UI needs a "social" pass. There should be some sort of activity feed, a quick way to see what my friend are doing, are any of them currently streaming that I could watch, are they unlocking trophies on the same game as me, etc. Right now I feel like I'm playing in complete isolation on the PS5. Everything is really buried.

Trophies also need a lot of work. Ditch the massive horizontal card shit, bring back the PS4 list that will remember what you sorted it by last (I always sort by rarity).

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Hide camera while streaming. As insane as it sounds - this option is not available right now. You can either stream with the camera off or turn it on and play with your mug the game screen. Ridiculous.

LordOfChaos

1440p support, and ultrawide support would be amazing, I have a 800 dollar ultrawide sitting by my PC that it kills me not to be able to use with my PS5 well. Not every game would support ultrawide but those with PC ports could easily patch it in. Also Freesync, which isn't just covered by VRR. Lots of display stuff.

USB saves and USB PS5 game cold storage.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
-1440p
-Support PS3 BC
-Custom themes (and able to import from PS4)
-emulation : D

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Trophy interface improvement, so trophy info can be read without clicking in and also all hidden trophies can be seen with one click rather than for each one.

Access suspend/power off by holding down PS button.

Allow games to be tagged/filtered or Xbox style folders (where a game can be in multiple folders)

Have game artwork respect my purchase, if I buy a game full price at launch, I don't want the fuckin PlayStation Hits artwork showing in my library 😡

Duchess

Fix the disc verification system. Need only happen when the game is started, not randomly while I'm watching Netflix or playing something unrelated.

(it's weird how the disc spinning triggers the fan to kick in - is the drive producing that much heat..?)

Top Bottom