• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pulse 3D Headset

KAL2006

Banned
So with PS5 taunting 3D Audio I think I need to invest in a headset. However I have had a bad experience with their old Gold headsets. The plastic material simple gets old and peels off. I assume this new one will be using the same type of material. I prefer cotton material, not only do they probably last longer but feel more comfortable.

So are any normal stereo headphones or headsets good enough to experience 3D audio?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Any normal headset should work with 3D audio.

Looking for a good set comes down to price you're willing to spend.

When my wife isnt in the room I prefer open back headphones their sound stage can not be beat.

For a very nice starter pair of open backs I would suggest the Phillips SHP9500.

If you do not want sound leaking a pretty nice closed back are the HyperX Alphas.

SleepDoctor

Banned
So with PS5 taunting 3D Audio I think I need to invest in a headset. However I have had a bad experience with their old Gold headsets. The plastic material simple gets old and peels off. I assume this new one will be using the same type of material. I prefer cotton material, not only do they probably last longer but feel more comfortable.

So are any normal stereo headphones or headsets good enough to experience 3D audio?

Silver headset was trash but my Platinum has been working great over 2 or 3 years now. Not sure if it supports 3d audio tho.

LordOfChaos

Even TV speakers benefit from the Tempest tech, they say, so any old headphones will too.

I do hope they support all bluetooth headsets this time, would be a very annoying omission if not, I have too many audio products to justify another PS only one.

Rikkori

The #1 way headphones break is through the cord, especially the connection going into the headset directly. That's why I recommend to look at sets which have proper replaceable cables. Ones that have great audio quality, are super comfortable & are easily repairable are the Sennheiser HD 599.

images

Last edited:

Kuranghi

AFAIK its to do with frequency response than anything else, thats what makes headsets compatible with the new 3D audio. I don't know if there is a list of specs that the headset must meet yet though.

KAL2006

Banned
Yeah sound isn't a issue for me. If open back headphones are better then I'd rather go for those. The 3D Pulse simply tempted me as it's more official with its branding but if I can something cheaper but better quality I guess I would look elsewhere instead of Sony's official headset especially after the bad experience I have had with their Gold ones.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Is the platinum made from the same plastic. The plastic flakes off on my Gold. I assume cotton material is the best.

No it's like a metallic frame. My silver snapped in half like most complaints. But this one doesn't feel cheap. Its held on a long time now.

Axonometri

Even TV speakers benefit from the Tempest tech, they say, so any old headphones will too.

I do hope they support all bluetooth headsets this time, would be a very annoying omission if not, I have too many audio products to justify another PS only one.
This is not true. They said they will work on bringing the technology to speakers and home theater but for now you will need headphones to get the most out of their 3d audio.

This is not true. They said they will work on bringing the technology to speakers and home theater but for now you will need headphones to get the most out of their 3d audio.

That's not entirely correct. The technology will work on TV speakers when at launch, it just won't work as well as the headphones but will in the future.

shaddam

I'm buying a Philips SHN9500. Fuck gaymer headphones. Not sure if its a big update after my superlux hd668b, but the last of us part 2 sounded awesome. Too bad it not so comfy longterm. I have a cheap aliexpress dac it was great using that after simply plugging it to my DS4

Axonometri

That's not entirely correct. The technology will work on TV speakers when at launch, it just won't work as well as the headphones but will in the future.
Yes, sound will come out of your TV speakers... but the 3dimensional sound result will be very diminished.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The entire point is that it's 3D sound via stereo headphones. So yes, any decent pair should work, and you don't need "surround headphones" (in fact, those might be a negative for this stuff, which is made for stereo audio).

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
For anyone who has never heard or doesn't believe stereo audio can produce 3D positioned sound, listen to this with headphones (REQUIRED):

Last edited:
Any normal headset should work with 3D audio.

Looking for a good set comes down to price you're willing to spend.

When my wife isnt in the room I prefer open back headphones their sound stage can not be beat.

For a very nice starter pair of open backs I would suggest the Phillips SHP9500.

If you do not want sound leaking a pretty nice closed back are the HyperX Alphas.
Whoa, I've always heard great things about open back headphones. These are only $75 :messenger_face_screaming: are they really that good? How do they compare to other headphones you've owned and used for gaming?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Whoa, I've always heard great things about open back headphones. These are only $75 :messenger_face_screaming: are they really that good? How do they compare to other headphones you've owned and used for gaming?

You wont find a better pair of sounding headphones for the price imo.

My go to headset is the DT 1990 Pro from Beyerdynamic but honestly those Phillips kick ass for the price.

Watch a couple of reviews on them they will impress you.

I have Platinum headset and they have virtual surround sound. Some games already have 3D sound like Uncharted 4.
I have pre-ordered the Pulse headset but do you think they will be big upgrade from the Platinum? There isn't a lot info about the Pulse headset at the moment?

Top Bottom