• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 seems more balanced than Xbox One Series X

MilkyJoe

Some of them are former and still praise the PS5 solution. There are some 3rd party dev tweet comments in link below :

MPx10zx.jpg

So after it's taken 1 seconds to load a game into RAM and 2 seconds on the Xbox, you're back to raw numbers again.

SSD is the new TV TV

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Ok,heres some thoughts after giving it a day....Its not that the PS5 is disappointing, it truly is a next gen leap

-with the new Ryzen CPU,
-Even at just 9.95-10.2 tflops because of variance its still almost a 7 times leap of power over the base ps4 with RDNA 2 benefits factored in
-Super fast SSD
- Twice the amount of RAM thats also faster as well.
-4K Blu ray player and 3d audio

In a vacuum its actually a very good system and IS a next generation leap. HOWEVER, the problem is that we're not in a vacuum, it is going to be compared to the Series X. Had sony come out earlier and announced these specs BEFORE 12 teraflops became the baseline they would be fine. 10.2 teraflops is a good number, 12 teraflops while awesome wouldnt have the same effect if 10 was already the baseline. But now sony is on the back foot in the power narrative, their silence is still deafening and comes across as either aloof or arrogant, messaging is a mess in regard to backwards compatibility.

What im saying is, the PS5 is a good system but the way sony is handling it makes it seem worse than it really is. SHOW us why the SSD is a "dream" fro developers, SHOW us that hey this thing can run games, third party games even at 60 fps. It can be a 10 second clip, it doesnt have to be this grand affair. Its not a PS3 or xbox one disaster, but it does put them on the back foot and sony seems to still be in autopilot mode. They seem to think that their base will stick with them no matter what, and if it had full BC i would say their right, but thats not clear as of now. We dont know prices nut i will say IF this thing is 399 sony is going to be ok in spite of themselves.

We dont have the full picture yet either. I dont care how people spin or what they say, IF lockheart is real it is going to hold the series x back in some ways. A theoretical 4 tf gpu vs 12, less ram, and weaker cpu are going to hinder game design in some way. I dont care what some paid xbox dev shill says. Lockheart is going to be an anchor around the Xs neck in my opinion. That could be a boon to sony in some ways if their first party really takes Advantage of not having any restraints in that regard and perhaps sign a few 3rd party deals to show WHY a super fast SSD matters.

Im sure ill have more thoughts on this later.
I said this the other day, if they would of come out and said 9.2tf or 10.3tf or what ever it is and talked about the features like super fast ssd or audio before xbox did they would of stood on a lot better ground but they let Microsoft get there first and wow everybody with power that it underwhelmed when they talked about ps5

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Please here me out! :D

I am a PS pro owner and really wanted PS5 to come out on top from, spec-wise in raw power. I was disappointed at first as well: 12.2 flops (Xbox Series X) is more than 10.3 tflops (PS5). Also, the Xbox has faster RAM (10gigs of it, 6 gigs is slower), a faster CPU and isn't variable in its performance.

But then I read/watched some more on the topic of the SSD and -here it comes- the obvious bottleneck in the Xbox design: RAM

- The Xbox has 16gigs of GDDR6, with a portion of it being used for OS and such. 10gigs of it is even faster than its PS5 counterpart (6 gigs is slower though).
- The Xbox SSD is a lot slower than the PS5's: roughly 4.8Gb/s VS 8.5Gb/s

In theory, the SSD on PS5 could just about act as a pool of "extra RAM". At least, that is what is speculated now. I thought about the PS3 days, when the CPU was amazing, but the system was kinda gimped by a weaker GPU (= no balance). I also remembered that XBox360 was praised, mainly because of it being a balanced system: RAM, CPU and GPU were working great in tandem with eachother. No real obvious bottleneck = the key.

10gigs of its total pool of GDDR6 is superfast on Xbox, but.. will it be enough for nextgen games? Reminds me of the eDRAM sistuation with XboxOne, where a relatively small portion of memory was supposed to eleviate all problems, but turned out to be a horrible bottleneck (which was fixed with Xbox One X). PS4 was praised form the beginning for having 1 big pool of GDDR5, just like they are doing now with PS5: 1 big pool of 1 type of GDDR6.

In raw performance the Xbox Series X will undoubtedly be the faster system. Still, I think the PS5 is more balanced, because it's all about removing bottlenecks. All custom chips and its SSD design were built towards reaching that goal.

I'd love to hear developers talk about this, because I have no idea which of the two would be preferable. But the topic of possible bottlenecks and resolving them by design really fascinates me.

Just when you think you've seen everything in a console war, then someone pulls out "PS5 is more powerful than Xbox even though the hardware stayed otherwise please understand".

I finally think I've seen everything now. Thank you op.

So after it's taken 1 seconds to load a game into RAM and 2 seconds on the Xbox, you're back to raw numbers again.

SSD is the new TV TV

SSD is vastly different than what you imply with TV. But if so, better SSD than TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, sport, sport, sport, water-cooler.

Nice spin btw. Surely DICE dev knows more than.....em, you.

Last edited:

CAB_Life

Thanks mr. armchair psychologist, I really needed that and feel better already :messenger_tears_of_joy: It's so nice to have people on the internet telling me what's going on with me, because I am such a confused individual.

It's a console man, I - just - want - the -discussion, not a diagnosis of my state of mind. I've stated it numerous times (but I'll make it bold so you might read it) : YES THE XBOX ONE SERIES X IS MORE POWERFUL THAN THE PS5! Because I know that it is and I love MS for going all in! it is NOT the point of discussion here.

But I’m not the one spending hours on the internet playing mental masturbation with myself to try and mythically quantify numbers and properties that just aren’t there for the sake of “discussion” (read: its okayism and console envy). So maybe there is something to be said for a stranger’s appraisal of strange behaviour.

They’re all just pieces of plastic upon which myself and others will play some amazing experiences. One is simply better than the other. That is the discussion’s beginning and end point. Once we have games to look at things become more subjective.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Honestly, my sense is that Sony's design choices have been driven by a desire to create a powerful but cost-efficient system that devs will be able to do new and exciting stuff with, without driving them to PS3-era distraction with needless complication.

On the other hand SX seems driven by the singular need to be able to promote around having more "power" than the competition.

The_Mike

SSD is vastly different than what you imply with TV. But if so, better SSD than TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, TV, sport, sport, sport, water-cooler

Do you write before you think? Seriously defending this shit on either side is plain stupid.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
What? This is some cope. Just call it what it is OP.

The_Mike

It's even more stupid is that Xbone fans trying to put in the same basket SSD with TV, which is at least idiotic.

Not really. Sony oversells the ssd idea and Sony fanboys sucks it up blindly. Ssd is great for faster loading times etc, but let's be real. It doesn't affect much more than that.

Not really. Sony oversells the ssd idea and Sony fanboys sucks it up blindly. Ssd is great for faster loading times etc, but let's be real. It doesn't affect much more than that.

Yes, really. SSD has and will have influence in games, TV, sport, water cooler not. So, Xbone fans trying to put in the same basket TV, TV, TV, TV, TV ,TV ,TV, sport, sport, sport, sport, water cooler is simple IDIOTIC.
SSD won't be just for loading times. It surely will influence game design.

What Xbone fans are trying here is really beyond pathetic and stupidity
Deliberately ignoring what Mark Cerny said yesterday about SSD
Deliberately ignoring what devs said about SSD
Deliberately trying to show PS5 as 9.2 TF console
Deliberately ignoring what Mark Cerny said yesterday about CPU and GPU that they can be both be at peak most of the time

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

You are clueless pal. Been saying from the start it has massive potential implications for game design.

Foxbat

Banned
I've got to admit. After seeing the specs for the PS5, I was sure that GAF would boo Sony in full unison for their choice in hardware.

And yet here I am.... Seeing an absolute stunning show in mental gymnastics. The spin is real folks.

Dunnas

Maths, how do they work.

Tflops of PS5 to Series X difference is 16%.

Tflops difference between XB1 1.3tflops and 1.8tflops PS4 was 40%.

The real-world difference between current gen is super small. So 16% is going to be nothing or a small advantage to PS5 because of its optimizations.
Yes, Math is apprantely quite tricky for a lot of people i've seem posting percentages the last couple of days. :messenger_squinting_tongue:

12.155 / 10.28 = 1.18239

Therefore, an 18.2% increase when calculating the same way around (the increase the larger has over the smaller) as is used for xbox one and PS4

Using the Xbox One S (rather than the original) you get 1.84 / 1.4 = 1.31428 - So only a 31.4% difference.

Additionally, the Series X will also have 20% greater RAM bandwidth for the portion that will be used by the GPU, giving a ram advantage like the PS4 has over the xbox one this gen, however, it will also have a slight CPU advantage, whereas the xbox currently has the CPU advantage this gen.

Taking the above into acocunt, and the fact that there could be slight reductions in the PS5 GPU speeds at times (I don't buy into there likely being any significant reductions), the actual difference between the next gen consoles compard to the difference between the current gen consoles (using the xbox model that has been the one sold for the last 3 1/2 years) could be quite a bit closer than people think.

Yes, the PS5 will have a faster SSD, but I don't see that giving it any graphical/FPS advantage compared to the Series X, which will already have very fast storate. As for the claim of the higher clocks providing more benefits than drawbacks which could help the PS5 close the gap, we'll need to wait and see. I feel like that is something that digital foundry will get around to testing with a couple of RDNA1 cards in the near future, if a suitable pair of cards is available to be able to achieve a similar 20ish% difference in clocks for the same TF.

Last edited:

trikster40

Having finally watched Dana Carvey’s, I mean Mark Cerny’s presentation, I do feel better about the specs. He talked about how things work, how they work together, why they are the way they are.

It may not have the most horsepower under the hood, but it seems intelligently designed with an effort to keep cost down. It could end up being $100-$200 cheaper than the XSX.

Xander3116

If the PS5 is cheaper then the series X which it will be, it won't matter how many TFlops the Series X has as the difference will not be noticeable enough to the average consumer, Sony gets this, Microsoft still doesn't.

If Microsoft wants to compete they need to match the PS5's price.

Yes, Math is apprantely quite tricky for a lot of people i've seem posting percentages the last couple of days. :messenger_squinting_tongue:

12.155 / 10.28 = 1.18239

Therefore, an 18.2% increase when calculating the same way around (the increase the larger has over the smaller) as is used for xbox one and PS4

Using the Xbox One S (rather than the original) you get 1.84 / 1.4 = 1.31428 - So only a 31.4% difference.

Additionally, the Series X will also have 20% greater RAM bandwidth for the portion that will be used by the GPU, giving a ram advantage like the PS4 has over the xbox one this gen, however, it will also have a slight CPU advantage, whereas the xbox currently has the CPU advantage this gen.

Taking the above into acocunt, and the fact that there could be slight reductions in the PS5 GPU speeds at times (I don't buy into there likely being any significant reductions), the actual difference between the next gen consoles compard to the difference between the current gen consoles (using the xbox model that has been the one sold for the last 3 1/2 years) could be quite a bit closer than people think.

Yes, the PS5 will have a faster SSD, but I don't see that giving it any graphical/FPS advantage compared to the Series X, which will already have very fast storate. As for the claim of the higher clocks providing more benefits than drawbacks which could help the PS5 close the gap, we'll need to wait and see. I feel like that is something that digital foundry will get around to testing with a couple of RDNA1 cards in the near future, if a suitable pair of cards is available to be able to achieve a similar 20ish% difference in clocks for the same TF.

You forgot that XSX has slower RAM bandwidth for CPU than PS5. And also if dev will use more than 10 GB of RAM ( in this case 13.5 for games like it says in spex sheet) average bandwidth speed falls to 476 GB/s. So, 28 GB more than PS5s. Also, PS5 RAM usage for games is still unknown thing

LordKasual

Banned
In raw performance the Xbox Series X will undoubtedly be the faster system. Still, I think the PS5 is more balanced, because it's all about removing bottlenecks. All custom chips and its SSD design were built towards reaching that goal.

I'd love to hear developers talk about this, because I have no idea which of the two would be preferable. But the topic of possible bottlenecks and resolving them by design really fascinates me.

PS fanboy here, for the most part.

The "bottleneck" talk is absolutely true, but as far as it goes for PS5 vs XBSX, BOTH consoles are removing the same bottleneck. Honestly, XBSX is the more balanced console. All of its clocks are locked and it provides extra power on a seemingly linear basis -- it's basically an Xbox One except significantly stronger. PS5 is naturally going to be much stronger than PS4 but in comparison to XBSX, to reach competitive performance it's going to have to pull more tricks most like.

The PS5's SSD is going to make a huge difference, but while it's 100% faster than the XBSX's, the XBSX's SSD is like 500% faster than most typical SSDs by itself. The XBSX also has much faster RAM.

The architecture solution for handling this in the SSD might make a difference, but outside of first-party titles i wager that the loading between XSX and PS5 will mostly be marginal.

The real thing to keep in mind here though is that although everyone is talking about TFLOPs.....the PS5 and XBSX aren't nearly far enough apart for multiplats to really experience any massive differences, and certainly not enough to hinder ports.

This is really going to be more like the difference in PS4 Pro vs. Xbox One X, but probably even less than that because of how similar the parts are.

Even in things like Raytracing, both consoles do it but will pale in comparison to actual PC GPUs, so multiplat games are likely going to target a midground for consoles that will work on both platforms.

The real show in power is going to be in exclusives....as always.

Last edited:
Where are those "BALANCE" memes from 2013?

:messenger_grinning_sweat:
It really is stunning how the roles have completely swapped. Like some of these posts are almost WORD for WORD Xbox One fans when the specs from both consoles were revealed.

The Xbox One had their secret sauce. Developers, THIRD PARTY DEVELOPERS, were excited about the cloud and DX12.

It's just too much.

The PS5's SSD is going to make a huge difference, but while it's 100% faster than the XBSX's, the XBSX's SSD is like 500% faster than most typical SSDs by itself. The XBSX also has much faster RAM.

But how much is PS5 SSD faster than than most typical SSDs? Keep in mind that XSX also has a slower RAM speed for CPU unlike PS5

LordKasual

Banned
Oh damn, shots fired. If the XsX really matched the PS5 price...damn...that's gonna sway me pretty hard. Hard for me to believe, honestly

I don't believe them.

If they match the price, then i might actually end up getting an xbox first this gen.

I feel like there's no way they'll get close enough to Sony to do this though.

Last edited:
The real thing to keep in mind here though is that although everyone is talking about TFLOPs.....the PS5 and XBSX aren't nearly far enough apart for multiplats to really experience any massive differences, and certainly not enough to hinder ports.

Seems like the difference is enough to make one 1800p and the other 4k, or one 60 locked fps and the other uncappd 45ish

Old Empire.

Xbox series has dedicated hardware to offload the ray tracing that was omitted in their spec sheet. So the GPU actually not tasked with the Raytracing order, and not eating up the 12 teraflops of power, while running a game.

With raytracing on, argument right now till we see in action, the xbox could be over 20 teraflops of performance. The ray tracing eats up the play performance on a GPU.

According to MS the custom dedicated hardware AC has transferred that problem and produced more performance.

There some wizardry in the Xbox that needs to be seen to be believed!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
The xsx ram is better, full stop.

For games the xsx has:

10gb @ 560GB/s - for gpu tasks
3.5gb @ 336GB/s - for tasks that dont very high bandwidth e.g audio, physics etc

The PS5 has for games

13.5gb @448gb/s for all tasks, so the slow tasks still have to use this fast ram, and the GPU has less overall bandwidth for fast tasks.

The PS5 is less balanced because it has more potential bottlenecks.

Games will look great on both though and they are both very powerful machines so i wouldn't worry about it.

Top Bottom