• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 seems more balanced than Xbox One Series X

Dunnas

You forgot that XSX has slower RAM bandwidth for CPU than PS5. And also if dev will use more than 10 GB of RAM ( in this case 13.5 for games like it says in spex sheet) average bandwidth speed falls to 476 GB/s. So, 28 GB more than PS5s. Also, PS5 RAM usage for games is still unknown thing
The CPU doesn't need RAM that fast and as far as i'm aware I don't believe there would be any benefit at all in the RAM having a higher bandwidth.

Also, if the CPU and other tasks are only using 2.5GB of the slower ram and the GPU actually needed more than 10GB, for example, the GPU would only be using 1GB of the slower RAM. Assuming that this calculation makes sense technically (and the fact that any slower ram is being used at all doesn't mean something more), then the average speed of the 11GB of total RAM being used is actually 540 GBS ((560*10+336*1)/11)

However, is needing 11GB of RAM for the GPU going to be likely? That is as much as the 2080ti has, however, MS talked about including changes to the pipeline to have RAM be used more effeciently (less redundant texture loading) and the level of RAM on the 2080ti needs to be approrpiate for PC's without SSD's as fast as the nex gen consoles will have, which will reduce the need to load textures in advance.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
Honestly, my sense is that Sony's design choices have been driven by a desire to create a powerful but cost-efficient system that devs will be able to do new and exciting stuff with, without driving them to PS3-era distraction with needless complication.

On the other hand SX seems driven by the singular need to be able to promote around having more "power" than the competition.
MS is playing Mandingo while Sony pulls out the Kama Sutra.

LordKasual

Banned
But how much is PS5 SSD faster than than most typical SSDs? Keep in mind that XSX also has a slower RAM speed for CPU unlike PS5

If it's 2x faster than Xbox's which is like 50x faster, i guess that means it's approaching 100x faster. But again that's just one metric. There's only so much the SSD can help with as far as pushing visuals goes. For game concepts and design, yes it's significant, but both consoles have access to the same benefits.

I imagine we'll see some truly crazy applications of this superior streaming in next-gen open world titles in the future. PS5 will likely excel at them, but, again, it's still a bit weaker at pushing actual visuals.

And i don't remember reading anywhere that XSX has slower ram.

PS5 has 6GBs that are faster than XSX's, but the remaining 10 on XSX are the same amount faster than PS4's. Don't know exactly how this math plays out, but in a situation where ALL of the memory is being used, PS5 and XSX should be equal in RAM....but in probably like 80% of cases and for all intents and purposes, XSX has much faster RAM.

Now, whether or not PS4's custom SSD solution helps make up this difference, i have no idea. But no matter how fast it is, it's not going to be as fast as dedicated RAM.

So again, honestly, it's not going to matter for the majority of situations.

Last edited:
If it's 2x faster than Xbox's which is like 50x faster, i guess that means it's approaching 100x faster. But again that's just one metric. There's only so much the SSD can help with as far as pushing visuals goes. For game concepts and design, yes it's significant, but both consoles have access to the same benefits.

I imagine we'll see some truly crazy applications of this superior streaming in next-gen open world titles in the future. PS5 will likely excel at them, but, again, it's still a bit weaker at pushing actual visuals.

And i don't remember reading anywhere that XSX has slower ram.

PS5 has 6GBs that are faster than XSX's, but the remaining 10 on XSX are the same amount faster than PS4's. Don't know exactly how this math plays out, but in a situation where ALL of the memory is being used, PS5 and XSX should be equal in RAM....but in probably like 80% of cases and for all intents and purposes, XSX has much faster RAM.

Isn't more than 2x faster?? Like 2.3x

The CPU doesn't need RAM that fast and as far as i'm aware I don't believe there would be any benefit at all in the RAM having a higher bandwidth.

Also, if the CPU and other tasks are only using 2.5GB of the slower ram and the GPU actually needed more than 10GB, for example, the GPU would only be using 1GB of the slower RAM. Assuming that this calculation makes sense technically (and the fact that any slower ram is being used at all doesn't mean something more), then the average speed of the 11GB of total RAM being used is actually 540 GBS ((560*10+336*1)/11)

However, is needing 11GB of RAM for the GPU going to be likely? That is as much as the 2080ti has, however, MS talked about including changes to the pipeline to have RAM be used more effeciently (less redundant texture loading) and the level of RAM on the 2080ti needs to be approrpiate for PC's without SSD's as fast as the nex gen consoles will have, which will reduce the need to load textures in advance.
[/QUOTE
Of course. But nevertheless, adding more CPU RAM reduce the bandwidth speed. In worst case 476 GB/s

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
More balanced the the PS4 hopefully.

Qtv2TRc.gif

LordKasual

Banned
Isn't more than 2x faster?? Maybe you should edit numbers again.

The PS5's SSD is significantly fast enough that comparing the two honestly isn't worth much.

The reason is because the Xbox's SSD is already EXTREMELY fast.

PS5's extra speed alone is impressive, but how much of an edge it gives without diminishing returns is something that is pretty much impossible to speculate without at least some kind of practical tech demo.

But the point is, even at XBSX's SSD speeds, current-gen games would receive a head-turning boost to loading speeds.

Easiest way to visualize this isn't by looking at PS5 vs XSX, but PS5 /XSX vs. current gen. PS4's SSD speed is 50-100MB/s. XSX's is 2.4-5Gb/s. You don't need to double that number for it to look insane.

The real difference will come when we have Next-gen assets being squeezed through these holes. The 2x speed architecture of the PS5 will likely offer better loading performance and extreme concepts that work better than XSX, but again speculating is really hard without some kind of benchmark to demonstrate it.

Last edited:

splattered

Last gen Sony came out and surprised everyone with a last minute Ram upgrade... I wonder if MS could or even WOULD do something similar this gen?

Sony seems pretty maxed in what they can improve now save the amount of Ram but at a slower speed.

What if MS decided to throw a couple extra gigs of high bandwidth Ram in the machine before launch?

Something like that even possible?

*Not to mention so far everything has shown the XsX being cool and whisper quiet, could they upclock their specs even higher to sacrifice a bit of heat and noise if they wanted?

Last edited:

Old Empire.

According to Eurogamer, the Sony GPU might not be complete feature RDNA2. They're not sure yet till they look at the internals and performance. I have awful feeling Sony ray tracing will not be same as Microsoft.
MS implies they have dedicated hardware AC in the box that offloading the ray tracing and shading/lighting changes are not done on the GPU.
MS claiming a performance of 25 teraflops with ray tracing on. Claim right now till we see for real!

THEAP99

Banned
Honestly I’m not a spec guy so if all this stuff is true about ps5 being such a great console, Sony need to be out here demoing games right now and releasing developer interviews explaining why it’s so great for them. Cus the narrative is currently being set & stone that it’s very weak and it’s not good a look. They aren’t even talking about the revealed specs or promoting them anywhere

Dunnas

Of course. But nevertheless, adding more CPU RAM reduce the bandwidth speed. In worst case 476 GB/s
I was wondering where you got that figure, but now i've worked out it is based on a game using the 16GB of total system RAM for just the GPU. Nothing for the OS and nothing for the CPU.

FStubbs

Last gen Sony came out and surprised everyone with a last minute Ram upgrade... I wonder if MS could or even WOULD do something similar this gen?

Sony seems pretty maxed in what they can improve now save the amount of Ram but at a slower speed.

What if MS decided to throw a couple extra gigs of high bandwidth Ram in the machine before launch?

*Not to mention so far everything has shown the XsX being cool and whisper quiet, could they upclock their specs even higher to sacrifice a bit of heat and noise if they wanted?

I think winning the Teraflop war is enough for MS. They'll ride with what they've got at this point.

Kacho

Man, a couple extra gigs of RAM would be amazing. Pretty sure it's too late for that though. If anything they'll unlock a gig or two from the available pool like they did with the X. They could even clock things up a bit if the cooling is acceptable. They're in a good spot to respond at this point and that might be in the cards.

I was wondering where you got that figure, but now i've worked out it is based on a game using the 16GB of total system RAM for just the GPU. Nothing for the OS and nothing for the CPU.

On ERA. And nobody said a word against it. 13.5 is for the games ( split 10-3.5 ). not 16. 6 GB of slower RAM is for the audio, CPU tasks ( if more thab 10 GB isn't used ) . If more than 10 GB is used for games , out of 6GB, 3.5 is for GPU too, but it's still slower bamdwidth. 2.5 GB is the for OS.

Last edited:

Dunnas

On ERA. And nobody said a word against it. 13.5 is for the games ( split 10-3.5 ). not 16. 6 GB of slower RAM is for the audio, CPU tasks ( if more thab 10 GB isn't used ) . If more than 10 GB is used for games , out of 6GB, 3.5 is for GPU too, but it's still slower bamdwidth. 2.5 GB is the for OS.
Sure, the 3.5GB is avaiable the GPU, if it needs it, and if the CPU and other non-gpu related tasks are not already using it. I really don't think they are expecting it to need it though, and if anything it will be the CPU needing to use some of the faster pool.

Please here me out! :D

I am a PS pro owner and really wanted PS5 to come out on top from, spec-wise in raw power. I was disappointed at first as well: 12.2 flops (Xbox Series X) is more than 10.3 tflops (PS5). Also, the Xbox has faster RAM (10gigs of it, 6 gigs is slower), a faster CPU and isn't variable in its performance.

But then I read/watched some more on the topic of the SSD and -here it comes- the obvious bottleneck in the Xbox design: RAM

- The Xbox has 16gigs of GDDR6, with a portion of it being used for OS and such. 10gigs of it is even faster than its PS5 counterpart (6 gigs is slower though).
- The Xbox SSD is a lot slower than the PS5's: roughly 4.8Gb/s VS 8.5Gb/s

In theory, the SSD on PS5 could just about act as a pool of "extra RAM". At least, that is what is speculated now. I thought about the PS3 days, when the CPU was amazing, but the system was kinda gimped by a weaker GPU (= no balance). I also remembered that XBox360 was praised, mainly because of it being a balanced system: RAM, CPU and GPU were working great in tandem with eachother. No real obvious bottleneck = the key.

10gigs of its total pool of GDDR6 is superfast on Xbox, but.. will it be enough for nextgen games? Reminds me of the eDRAM sistuation with XboxOne, where a relatively small portion of memory was supposed to eleviate all problems, but turned out to be a horrible bottleneck (which was fixed with Xbox One X). PS4 was praised form the beginning for having 1 big pool of GDDR5, just like they are doing now with PS5: 1 big pool of 1 type of GDDR6.

In raw performance the Xbox Series X will undoubtedly be the faster system. Still, I think the PS5 is more balanced, because it's all about removing bottlenecks. All custom chips and its SSD design were built towards reaching that goal.

I'd love to hear developers talk about this, because I have no idea which of the two would be preferable. But the topic of possible bottlenecks and resolving them by design really fascinates me.

oh boy read this and be silent:

XSX has:

Sampler Feedback Streaming (SFS) –

A component of the Xbox Velocity Architecture, SFS is a feature of the Xbox Series X hardware that allows games to load into memory, with fine granularity, only the portions of textures that the GPU needs for a scene, as it needs it. This enables far better memory utilization for textures, which is important given that every 4K texture consumes 8MB of memory. Because it avoids the wastage of loading into memory the portions of textures that are never needed, it is an effective 2x or 3x (or higher) multiplier on both amount of physical memory and SSD performance.

Mesh Shading

Mesh shading will enable developers to dramatically improve the performance and image quality when rendering a substantial number of complex objects in a scene. As an example, mesh shaders could enable the player to experience asteroid belts and fields of flowers in more pristine detail without seeing a loss in performance.

DirectStorage

DirectStorage is an all new I/O system designed specifically for gaming to unleash the full performance of the SSD and hardware decompression. It is one of the components that comprise the Xbox Velocity Architecture. Modern games perform asset streaming in the background to continuously load the next parts of the world while you play, and DirectStorage can reduce the CPU overhead for these I/O operations from multiple cores to taking just a small fraction of a single core; thereby freeing considerable CPU power for the game to spend on areas like better physics or more NPCs in a scene. This newest member of the DirectX family is being introduced with Xbox Series X and we plan to bring it to Windows as well.

What has Ps5 beside of fast SSD?

NOTHING

How is it more balanced when it's overclocking to get to 10.2 TF while the Series X is comfortably at 12 TF?

Well to be fair, 2.23ghz is the main clock and only downgrades to a 2% drop in frequency for a 10% drop in power draw when needed. Meaning it is pretty much locked at 10 TF.

To the OP, no need to spin what this is. While PS5 does have some advantages (SSD speed, audio, etc) overall, the Series X is a stronger machine. Two caveats to make you feel better:

1) It will probably end up $100 cheaper than Series X
2) The power difference is smaller than PS4/Xb1 & Pro/XSX

For $399 in 2020, it's a pretty good machine all things considered.

I think 4k/60 is gonna be a struggle for the PS5 in a lot of games. I think a lot of AAA multiplats are gonna be 4k/60 on XsX and 4k/30 capped or 4k/45ish uncapped on PS5

Those flops will always matter
Forza 7 runs 4k60fps on Xbox One X. It has 6TFLOPS in GCN architecture. PS5 is 10TFLOPA in RDNA2. It will run games in 4K60FPS for sure...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Grasping on to that SSD again... I would say PS5 is less balanced, because it's super fast SSD can't be used to the max due to that less powerful RAM/CPU/GPU.

By the same brilliant math we can deduce that something else CPU/GPU/RAM cannot be used to the max due to that less powerful SSD :rolleyes:.

We have two strong consoles that have made many differentiating choices and are still in close proximity of each other in some metrics. Be happy about the potential such compute performance brings developers, especially the ones making exclusive XSX games in a year or so, and maybe think twice before your desire for total enemy obliteration pushes you to find the strengths of the other product and try to diminish them any way possible ;).

3.5GB of the game RAM is not ‘slow’, it’s just slower than the rest. It’s performance is about the same of that in the Xbox One X, which can clearly do 4K 60fps with high quality textures etc. Plus a chunk of it will be used by the CPU which doesn’t need the full bandwidth anyway.

Its actually a clever cost saving exercise with negligible performance penalty. They save a bit of silicon space with using a smaller BUS, and also save on GDDR6 chips. Maybe shaved 25+ dollars off the build cost, or even more.

Old Empire.

3.5GB of the game RAM is not ‘slow’, it’s just slower than the rest. It’s performance is about the same of that in the Xbox One X, which can clearly do 4K 60fps with high quality textures etc. Plus a chunk of it will be used by the CPU which doesn’t need the full bandwidth anyway.

Its actually a clever cost saving exercise with negligible performance penalty. They save a bit of silicon space with using a smaller BUS, and also save on GDDR6 chips. Maybe shaved 25+ dollars off the build cost, or even more.

Microsoft GDDR6 memory disruption is interesting .Dedicated 10 gigs of GGDR6 memory to feed the GPU at higher clock frequency of 560gb/s.
Sony running all 16 gigs at 448gb/s, no split.
Six gigs are dedicated to the Microsoft CPU cycles, at a slower clock.
10 gigs at higher clock allows MS to pile more assets in the game is my thinking right now?
Just like on PC cards, giving the GPU dedicated memory so everything runs smoothly and don’t have to tone down the graphics due to lack of memory.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neur4lN01s3

Neophyte
According to Eurogamer, the Sony GPU might not be complete feature RDNA2. They're not sure yet till they look at the internals and performance. I have awful feeling Sony ray tracing will not be same as Microsoft.
MS implies they have dedicated hardware AC in the box that offloading the ray tracing and shading/lighting changes are not done on the GPU.
MS claiming a performance of 25 teraflops with ray tracing on. Claim right now till we see for real!

XSX 44% more powerful than Ps5 in Raytracing

Last edited:

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I've got to admit. After seeing the specs for the PS5, I was sure that GAF would boo Sony in full unison for their choice in hardware.

And yet here I am.... Seeing an absolute stunning show in mental gymnastics. The spin is real folks.

Sony does no wrong, their wrongs get twisted into positives and wishful thinking, it would be funny to see the clobbering that XSX would have gotten if the roles were reversed.

There's sudden popularity in SSD speeds and sound! Boy oh boy!

PS fanboy here, for the most part.

The "bottleneck" talk is absolutely true, but as far as it goes for PS5 vs XBSX, BOTH consoles are removing the same bottleneck. Honestly, XBSX is the more balanced console. All of its clocks are locked and it provides extra power on a seemingly linear basis -- it's basically an Xbox One except significantly stronger. PS5 is naturally going to be much stronger than PS4 but in comparison to XBSX, to reach competitive performance it's going to have to pull more tricks most like.

The PS5's SSD is going to make a huge difference, but while it's 100% faster than the XBSX's, the XBSX's SSD is like 500% faster than most typical SSDs by itself. The XBSX also has much faster RAM.

The architecture solution for handling this in the SSD might make a difference, but outside of first-party titles i wager that the loading between XSX and PS5 will mostly be marginal.

The real thing to keep in mind here though is that although everyone is talking about TFLOPs.....the PS5 and XBSX aren't nearly far enough apart for multiplats to really experience any massive differences, and certainly not enough to hinder ports.

This is really going to be more like the difference in PS4 Pro vs. Xbox One X, but probably even less than that because of how similar the parts are.

Even in things like Raytracing, both consoles do it but will pale in comparison to actual PC GPUs, so multiplat games are likely going to target a midground for consoles that will work on both platforms.

The real show in power is going to be in exclusives....as always.
I agree with one exception, the difference between PS4 Pro and One X was nearly 50%. And you could see it in most multiplats (1800p Vs 4K).
Here the difference is only 20% and I doubt many Devs will make an effort to present any noticeable difference.

I say it again, if PS5 hits 4K60FPS (looks like it easily will) people will be "content". I recommend watching latest Digital Foundry video, they explain "trickery" which could somehow help PlayStation close the gap...

It’s not really split RAM, it’s still unified architecture like past consoles. Just the slower memory addresses are used for OS, CPU, and the less demanding game tasks.

Bankai

But I’m not the one spending hours on the internet playing mental masturbation with myself to try and mythically quantify numbers and properties that just aren’t there for the sake of “discussion” (read: its okayism and console envy). So maybe there is something to be said for a stranger’s appraisal of strange behaviour.

They’re all just pieces of plastic upon which myself and others will play some amazing experiences. One is simply better than the other. That is the discussion’s beginning and end point. Once we have games to look at things become more subjective.

I am spending hours on the internet playing "Mental masturbation"? This is great, you just keep believing you know the person on the other end of the interwebs interacting with you through a forum man.

What the fuck are you on about man? I'm discussing next-gen specs on this forum and you're trying to make it into something it is not.

LordKasual

Banned
I say it again, if PS5 hits 4K60FPS (looks like it easily will) people will be "content". I recommend watching latest Digital Foundry video, they explain "trickery" which could somehow help PlayStation close the gap...

Checkerboard rendering? I wager most people can't tell the difference.

If they can checkerboard upscale titles then they can probably save an absurd amount of power and still achieve 4k60fps

Bryank75

Banned
As long as the system can handle it the SSD in Xbox can always be upgraded to a faster unit.

RAM on the other hand.
With X having expandable custom ssd cards..... no way.

This thing is a fiasco, like the PS Vita cards. How stupid are they to make them proprietary... LOL

Filippos

Banned
I said this the other day, if they would of come out and said 9.2tf or 10.3tf or what ever it is and talked about the features like super fast ssd or audio before xbox did they would of stood on a lot better ground but they let Microsoft get there first and wow everybody with power that it underwhelmed when they talked about ps5

And that’s why Sony being defensive and silent was not a smart move.

Old Empire.

We still don’t have the hardware acceleraltion procedure for the PS5. That’s MS secret sauce for switching from the shaders. If the PS5 has a similar approach it might not be as bad that guys claims- the PS5 gpu not completing the work- it is passed off to dedicated hardware on the RDNA2 chip. There will be still low level shading on the GPU, but ray tracing will run alongside the shaders on dedicated hardware on the chip.

Sweep14

We'll see. XseX has the raw computational power advantage and a beefier CPU , PS5 has a clear I/O speed/management advantage. How those respective strongnesses will impact next gen games remain to be seen.

Bryank75

Banned
Honestly in the long run the XsX SSD expansion will probably be simpler and cheaper though. The custom cards required for PS5 might not even be available at launch and will be expensive as fuck
They're not custom cards..... the PS5 ones are off the shelf but have to fit the port....

Top Bottom