• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Tech Demo Detailed, Called 'Hugely Impressive'

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

One such rumor has started a fervor of hype with a user by the name of Kleegamefan giving a first-hand account of a demo for a game that is being developed for the PlayStation 5. For the sake of transparency, it should be made perfectly clear that this is a single, alleged description from a mostly anonymous user, but it would seem that the rest of the users on the forum believe the initial report.

According to the post, the game that Kleegamefan saw the demo of was so visually stunning that it's difficult to put the quality of the graphics and physics engines to words, thanks to both the game's engine and the PlayStation 5's incredibly powerful SSD. From a number of replies, one of the most impressive feats of the game seems to have been the way that the game engine casts shadows, allegedly casting individual shadows from each leaf of a small bush, intricately expressing the movement of every branch and leaf as they swayed in the wind. This has led some commenters to speculate that these types of effects are achieved by ray-tracing, but if the claims from Kleegamefan can be believed, the effect is an incredible sight, almost unmistakable from watching live footage of foliage blowing in the breeze.

Kleegamefan also stresses in their posts that the demo they saw was unfinished and the astounding experience with the game is far from being the shipped project. For some players obsessed with framerates and resolutions, it may be disappointing to note that the game was running somewhere between 25-30 fps, although the resolution was reportedly 2160p and considering that this was an early demo, it is possible that the finished results will come closer to 60 fps in the future. Either way, Kleegamefan sums up posts best by stating that it likely won't be the specs of the PlayStation 5 that will blow expectations, but the quality of the games that will capture audience attention as more information comes to light.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Was more impressive when they used to say they had to stop Saddam Hussein get hold of them so he could rule the world. They could at least use Kim Jong-un now.

Kazza

Even more impressive than this?

7c8Xov.gif

mango drank

the game was running somewhere between 25-30 fps, although the resolution was reportedly 2160p and considering that this was an early demo, it is possible that the finished results will come closer to 60 fps in the future.

Is it a common thing for a dev to be able to optimize a game prototype to achieve a 2X+ increase in fps w/out downgrading image quality?

Sounds like maaaaagic

(I believe)

Kazza

I remember this! Was it on PS2 as a tech demo?

It was actually the PS1 tech demo (which really impressed prospective third parties at the time):

Of course, the 3D graphics in actual games never reached this level. Here is the Tomb Raider T-Rex for comparison:

TatteredBouncyInexpectatumpleco-size_restricted.gif

It's a good reminder not to believe all the hype as we enter a new gen (although it's fine to be excited, of course).

Last edited:
If we're again going to be getting 60@1080 or 30@4K, I'll be sticking with 1080p.

My TV only does 1080p at any rate, and I've read that since I sit roughly 10 feet away upgrading to a 4K TV would be a complete waste of time (although I'll be missing out on HDR).

baphomet

PlayStation 5 - running at 25 - 30fps.

Impressive.

Almost as if you don't realize that something running at 25fps over a full year minimum from launch is already ridiculously fast.

This far out 10 frames per second would be good.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Tech demos, right....

Of course it's gonna be impressive, it will show graphics, physics and animations that are 10-15 years away from now. The below are are UE3.5 tech demos, made for PS3/X360:

And with the last games for CURRENT gen consoles, we can safely say we have finally reached this level of fidelity, literally almost a decade and one hardware generation later. So whatever Sony and MS are going to show when revealing their hardware, I'm not getting fooled this time around. Hell, today you can't even trust in "gameplay" trailers, because you never know if the game won't be seriously downgraded just a few months later. I've learnt to just sit and wait for the final product to be released, it's simply sooo much better to be positively surprised rather than negatively disappointed.

Impressive.

They say about 120. And about 8K too. ;) Mark my words, we WILL see those metrics being mentioned during those demos presentation, while in reality, we will be fortunate if they abandon sub-4K resolutions. But deep inside, I have a strange feeling that artificial resolution upscalers will be indeed the tool used to boost the resolutions and framerates.

baphomet

Tech demos, right....

Of course it's gonna be impressive, it will show graphics, physics and animations that are 10-15 years away from now. The below are are UE3.5 tech demos, made for PS3/X360:

And with the last games for CURRENT gen consoles, we can safely say we have finally reached this level of fidelity, literally almost a decade and one hardware generation later. So whatever Sony and MS are going to show when revealing their hardware, I'm not getting fooled this time around. Hell, today you can't even trust in "gameplay" trailers, because you never know if the game won't be seriously downgraded just a few months later. I've learnt to just sit and wait for the final product to be released, it's simply sooo much better to be positively surprised rather than negatively disappointed.

They say about 120. And about 8K too. ;) Mark my words, we WILL see those metrics being mentioned during those demos presentation, while in reality, we will be fortunate if they abandon sub-4K resolutions. But deep inside, I have a strange feeling that artificial resolution upscalers will be indeed the tool used to boost the resolutions and framerates.

The Sorcerer one was a real time tech demo on PS4.

Those last 2 were absolutely not to show anything related to the PS3/360. They were for next gen, and right in line with what we got.

BlueAlpaca

25-30 fps? I'll never buy 30fps PS5 games full price. You hear that, developers!? :messenger_angry_horns:

I'll try...

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
It was the PS1 tech demo (which really impressed prospective third parties at the time):

Of course, the 3D graphics in actual games never reached this level. Here is the Tomb Raider T-Rex for comparison:

It's a good reminder not to believe all the hype as we enter a new gen (although it's fine to be excited, of course).

Wow forgot this was PS1. Those were the days.... feel old now

Bryank75

Banned

Impressive.

As if barely any PC GPU's could run games at a comparable rate @ 4K with raytracing...even just for shadows / AO etc.

They had recent data on Steam users saying that about 1% of Steam users could run anything in 4k..... so that's reality.

There may also be a 1080p mode.... who knows, that would do 60fps easy.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
New base hardware indeed give you big jump in quality.

Shocked.

Ohhh and anybody waiting 60fps next gen will be dedapointed... 30fps will continue being the norm.

Last edited:
It was the PS1 tech demo (which really impressed prospective third parties at the time):

Yeah and then remember when we played Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo, and Vagrant Story on the same console?

Tomb Raider is a terrible comparison considering not only is it also rendering a level, character, and game logic in addition to the dinosaur, it came out in like 1996.

Kenpachii

One such rumor has started a fervor of hype with a user by the name of Kleegamefan giving a first-hand account of a demo for a game that is being developed for the PlayStation 5. For the sake of transparency, it should be made perfectly clear that this is a single, alleged description from a mostly anonymous user, but it would seem that the rest of the users on the forum believe the initial report.

According to the post, the game that Kleegamefan saw the demo of was so visually stunning that it's difficult to put the quality of the graphics and physics engines to words, thanks to both the game's engine and the PlayStation 5's incredibly powerful SSD. From a number of replies, one of the most impressive feats of the game seems to have been the way that the game engine casts shadows, allegedly casting individual shadows from each leaf of a small bush, intricately expressing the movement of every branch and leaf as they swayed in the wind. This has led some commenters to speculate that these types of effects are achieved by ray-tracing, but if the claims from Kleegamefan can be believed, the effect is an incredible sight, almost unmistakable from watching live footage of foliage blowing in the breeze.

Kleegamefan also stresses in their posts that the demo they saw was unfinished and the astounding experience with the game is far from being the shipped project. For some players obsessed with framerates and resolutions, it may be disappointing to note that the game was running somewhere between 25-30 fps, although the resolution was reportedly 2160p and considering that this was an early demo, it is possible that the finished results will come closer to 60 fps in the future. Either way, Kleegamefan sums up posts best by stating that it likely won't be the specs of the PlayStation 5 that will blow expectations, but the quality of the games that will capture audience attention as more information comes to light.

This guy sounds like a idiot.

He basically saw a raytracing demo that wasn't even running on a playstation.

His brain melts from the visuals, he finally saw what raytracing already does for a while on PC and his brain melted. Then the incredible powerful SSD part. Who even talks like this.

I bet he wants to stay anonymous, its the biggest fanboy bullshit i ever heard.

He should buy a PC, he will probably explode by the incredible powerful powersupply that's in there.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I really hope they give us more choices like for example Ni-Oh. play either at 4k30 or 1080p60. I'm more leaning towards a higher framerate so it would be nice to see more titles at 60
I hope all players having one option of framerate... that is crucial in multiplayer.

Last edited:

Thedtrain

His brain melts from the visuals, he finally saw what raytracing already does for a while on PC and his brain melted. Then the incredible powerful SSD part. Who even talks like this.

He should buy a PC, he will probably explode by the incredible powerful powersupply that's in there.
He’s a former Gamefan magazine editor. Not really anonymous. Pretty sure his name is mentioned but I’m not digging that up

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am fine with stable 30 fps and amazing graphics. After years, I remember how well the game looks not how 60fps it was.
I've had 240hz monitor but for me, graphics are more important, so I play at 4k 60fps.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Tech demos are a mixbag of stuff.

Even the base consoles still can do pretty graphics since day one, but the major flaw is performance. If you can play Last of Us 2 in 60fps, even if is upscaled, it's fine.

So this tech demo is less than 30fps... If is not fake, they have to change. PS4 Pro+ is not a great thing.

Darius87

is this same impression that was mentioned before where was described as very large in scope and gfx are on par or better then the order? and it was next-gen multiplatform.

Lort

Banned
It was hugely impressive because of the SSD...
Then notes nothing that uses the ssd.
Talks about shadows like they are full raytracing .. no mention of any other forms of ray tracing.
Game runs at 4k at 25 fps .. but ya know the demo cant reach 30 fps so obviously when theres characters environments physics network code audio and u know more than a tree it will likely run at 60 fps.

The specs wont blow you away (because they obviously arent hugely impressive ) instead the games will ie a tree with shadows.

All from an anon user ..... all abord the hype train for this one guys ... soo exciting hearing all this amazing news!

Last edited:

Kazza

Yeah and then remember when we played Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo, and Vagrant Story on the same console?

Tomb Raider is a terrible comparison considering not only is it also rendering a level, character, and game logic in addition to the dinosaur, it came out in like 1996.

None of which look nearly as good as that demo. Of course actual games (such as Tomb Raider) need to compute many other things too, which is precisely why I cautioned against getting too hyped about demos. The comparison of what can be achieved in a demo and what can realistically be achieved in an actual game was very apt, considering they both include T-Rex models.

Bryank75

Banned

Lets not pretend PC gamers are playing on average even at the standard of a base level PS4.....

PC gamers are generally full of hot air

Last edited:
Top Bottom