• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Tech Demo Detailed, Called 'Hugely Impressive'

Journey

Banned
giphy.gif

scydrex

If we're again going to be getting 60@1080 or 30@4K, I'll be sticking with 1080p.

My TV only does 1080p at any rate, and I've read that since I sit roughly 10 feet away upgrading to a 4K TV would be a complete waste of time (although I'll be missing out on HDR).

Yeah. I would like options... 1080p or 1440p 60fps or 4k 30fps would be great.

Journey

Banned
We will believe it again, because "THIS TIME" it will be real.

Looking at this in 2013 and saying, but this isn't Motorstorm or Killzone, this is real-time, we can count the pixels :messenger_grinning_sweat:

giphy.gif

Mr.Allan

Neo Member
"Powerful SSD" That's all I needed to see to convince me that this is a tale from somebody's ass.
just wait as someone will mention ssd being ground breaking and never seen before. Whilesata ssds are already outclasses by m2 in pc enthusiasm segment. Also link, just like on page 1, saying most pc players have worse hardware than their pricy plastic boxes.

scydrex

We will believe it again, because "THIS TIME" it will be real.

Looking at this in 2013 and saying, but this isn't Motorstorm or Killzone, this is real-time, we can count the pixels :messenger_grinning_sweat:

giphy.gif

Yeah the 2013 showcase maybe now we will see that...

mortal

Gold Member
Well that was rather uniformative. It was more of a stealth brag more than anything.

He doesn't even bother detailing anything distinctive about the demo, fucking leaves and branches, dude? Really? "Powerful SSD" :messenger_grinning_smiling:

it will always make me laugh to see these hopes on the 60 fps becoming a standard console ... The PS5 and the Xbox Two will make the native 4K at 30 fps on 90% of the games ... Ah and read bullshit like "the demo turns at 25-30 fps but will surely turn 60 fps later because it is not not optimized "makes me die of laughter ...

diffusionx

Gold Member
Lets not pretend PC gamers are playing on average even at the standard of a base level PS4.....

PC gamers are generally full of hot air

I play PC games at 4K and 1440p ultrawide though, why do I care about this survey?

nkarafo

It was actually the PS1 tech demo (which really impressed prospective third parties at the time):

Of course, the 3D graphics in actual games never reached this level. Here is the Tomb Raider T-Rex for comparison:

TatteredBouncyInexpectatumpleco-size_restricted.gif

It's a good reminder not to believe all the hype as we enter a new gen (although it's fine to be excited, of course).

Turok 1 did come a bit closer though.

DtZL2JoUwAIZeJi.jpg:large

Last edited:

Mr.Allan

Neo Member
So...congrats on being the 1%.
Do you say similar things to other PC gamers who can't play over 1080p? I always wonder that....
I know you're saying about 1% on steam. But Microsoft, windows OS holder, says there are over 800mln of win10 devices. So that 1% doesn't look that bad. Where's uplay stats or epic statys? oh, no ps4pro either.
Also I have 970 for 5 years now which is even better in games than ps4pro but I don't play on 1440p and that card alone was at one time at 7% in gpu stuff on steam. :)

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I know you're saying about 1% on steam. But Microsoft, windows OS holder, says there are over 800mln of win10 devices. So that 1% doesn't look that bad. Where's uplay stats or epic statys? oh, no ps4pro either.
Also I have 970 for 5 years now which is even better in games than ps4pro but I don't play on 1440p and that card alone was at one time at 7% in gpu stuff on steam. :)
Yeah, my bro used to have a 970... I actually recommended it to him. My main issue is that I don't know why PC gamers are always denigrating console as a form of playing games. It's perfectly legitimate, less work and can be a way for more games to be made due to Sony and MS actually funding games and studios....

So I don't see the negative for PC gamers in having a really healthy console market...

Darius87

it will always make me laugh to see these hopes on the 60 fps becoming a standard console ... The PS5 and the Xbox Two will make the native 4K at 30 fps on 90% of the games ... Ah and read bullshit like "the demo turns at 25-30 fps but will surely turn 60 fps later because it is not not optimized "makes me die of laughter ...
your lack skill of reading and formulate the sentence in bold is really makes me laught even more.
real thing:
it is possible that the finished results will come closer to 60 fps in the future.
where it states that it will achieves 60fps?
lxaMlx8.gif

Yeah, powerfull SSD... Hahahaha... I hope the PS5 pro will have a more powerfull SSD than the classic PS5 :messenger_tears_of_joy:
more powerful, faster more efficient that's exactly how people call gfx cards, ssd can also be more faster more efficient also more powerful.

Last edited:

Mr.Allan

Neo Member
Yeah, my bro used to have a 970... I actually recommended it to him. My main issue is that I don't know why PC gamers are always denigrating console as a form of playing games. It's perfectly legitimate, less work and can be a way for more games to be made due to Sony and MS actually funding games and studios....

So I don't see the negative for PC gamers in having a really healthy console market...
Noone is being negative about consoles. It's just console gamers try to pretend technology starts when sony buys it from amd. And over and over again it's the same, consoles cannot keep up with changing world. Just a though: you realise x360 released in 2005, 1080p is a standard in PC games for a decade (guys who don't hardware good enough for it probably don't care) and to this day xbox one owners cannot play games at 1080p without compromises compared to ps4? Yet ppl say ps5 and new xbox will blow anyone away. How to even treat you serious?

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Noone is being negative about consoles. It's just console games try to pretend technology starts when sony buys it from amd. And over and over again it's the same, consoles cannot keep up with changing world. Just a though: you realise x360 released in 2005, 1080p is a standard in PC games for a decade (guys who don't hardware good enough for it probably don't care) and to this day xbox one owners cannot play games at 1080p without compromises compared to ps4? Yet ppl say ps5 and new xbox will blow anyone away. How to even treat you serious?

But you do have to realize, games only seem to make a significant jump when a new generation comes around.
Most new games a re sold on PlayStation.... not even Xbox. Latest Capcom sales for the year were like 6 million PS4, 1 million Xbox, 1 million Switch.

So that platform with a lot of day 1 buyers means a lot to developers, no pirating is a big thing too.

The features are not just tech dependent but also compensation and audience dependent. That is why RDR2 is only out a year later on PC. The graphical differences? Minimal.....

Do I make sense?

Bryank75

Banned
All this is sounding like 'expensive' to me. I do hope Sony are willing to offset a loss with gained PS+ subs and don't get greedy.
I fully expect 500 euro at launch.... but I've been saying that if they can reduce it over a year to year and a half to 400 or 450.... that would be fine. The hardcore will soak up the initial sales.

Mr.Allan

Neo Member
proprietary ssd technology molded to mainboard isn't typical ssd sata drive.
just as ps4 with jaguars are super pcs? man sony only buys that technology, it's already here and we have it. yes. we're rich enough to buy m2 drives (it's cheaper now)

Jtibh

Banned
Every console launch for the past 3 generations brought very but very unimpressive launch graphics.
This time around it wont be any different.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
It was hugely impressive because of the SSD...
Then notes nothing that uses the ssd.
Talks about shadows like they are full raytracing .. no mention of any other forms of ray tracing.
Game runs at 4k at 25 fps .. but ya know the demo cant reach 30 fps so obviously when theres characters environments physics network code audio and u know more than a tree it will likely run at 60 fps.

The specs wont blow you away (because they obviously arent hugely impressive ) instead the games will ie a tree with shadows.

All from an anon user ..... all abord the hype train for this one guys ... soo exciting hearing all this amazing news!
He's not anon, he's a former game magazine editor that still has 3rd party contacts in the industry

He also mentions the demo is very early, so it wouldn't be optimized yet to get an optimal framerate

Darius87

just as ps4 with jaguars are super pcs? man sony only buys that technology, it's already here and we have it. yes. we're rich enough to buy m2 drives (it's cheaper now)
supercharged in 2013 it's exactly what it was that meaning it performs much better at equalent pc spec, because it's supercharged not super get it?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
How is this getting people hyped again? First of all, it's a tech demo...which means it's probably not even a real game, yet the guy says it's going to be the games that impresses. While I don't doubt that fact, how does he draw this from the tech demo? I'm not saying he's wrong I'm just trying to understand the logic. Was there, better physics? Maybe better AI? New environmental effects. Increased and more realistic destructible environments?

I mean help me out here. Apologies, I didn't read the article. I'm stealing enough time from work just typing this.

Bryank75

Banned
How is this getting people hyped again? First of all, it's a tech demo...which means it's probably not even a real game, yet the guy says it's going to be the games that impresses. While I don't doubt that fact, how does he draw this from the tech demo? I'm not saying he's wrong I'm just trying to understand the logic. Was there, better physics? Maybe better AI? New environmental effects. Increased and more realistic destructible environments?

I mean help me out here. Apologies, I didn't read the article. I'm stealing enough time from work just typing this.
I am guessing it is the Horizon 2 demo, not a tech demo....

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I am guessing it is the Horizon 2 demo, not a tech demo....
Horizon Zero Dawn doesn't need a fresh coat of paint. It's already one of the best looking games this generation and in my opinion, graphically, it's ahead of its time. If it is that, I would like to see some of the things i mentioned before. Especially a increase machine AI would be amazing for Horizon.

Hobbygaming

From what I understand, it's a real game from a 3rd party studio. He says it couldn't be possible to render it on current gen consoles and it even looks levels above Red Dead Redemption 2.

Imagine what some exclusives will look like

Mr.Allan

Neo Member
supercharged in 2013 it's exactly what it was that meaning it performs much better at equalent pc spec, because it's supercharged not super get it?
except at that point in time you only could buy jaguar units in amd notebooks. So like 101% pc users had a better cpu at that point in ther pcs. But I think you won't understand it anyway.
It never stoped any console game releasing CEO to praise that stuff only to blame weak weap cpu a year later.

Last edited:

Darius87

except at that point in time you only could buy jaguar units in amd notebooks. So like 101% pc users had a better cpu at that point in ther pcs. But I think you won't understand it anyway.
more money could buy you better hardware, god job for figuring it out, but you still don't get it we talking about same spec and sony didn't state that jaguar was supercharged they stated ps4 was supercharged. now think about that.

Bryank75

Banned
Horizon Zero Dawn doesn't need a fresh coat of paint. It's already one of the best looking games this generation and in my opinion, graphically, it's ahead of its time. If it is that, I would like to see some of the things i mentioned before. Especially a increase machine AI would be amazing for Horizon.
Absolutely, I wanted free roaming bots.... having them tied to an area was a bit of a bummer but it was the first game....

I agree with what you're saying though.

Mr.Allan

Neo Member
more money could buy you better hardware, god job for figuring it out, but you still don't get it we talking about same spec and sony didn't state that jaguar was supercharged they stated ps4 was supercharged. now think about that.
I never said sony did. Ea/ubi said that. Sony played the good game of not talking about specs as they knew how cheap ps4 had to be made.

Last edited:

Sony might not be using an off the shelf PCI-E [SSD] controller. They could be using something proprietary.

Suggestions I've seen include wiring the NAND directly to the mobo and controlling it directly through the CPU. A Zen core is a lot faster than an embedded ARM core. That could potentially allow them to handle far more IOPs than any conventional PC SSD, and to access data with lower latency. And it might even be cheaper on the hardware side long term.

It's possible for the PS5 to have flash performance that exceeds even the latest PC SSDs.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
From what I understand, it's a real game from a 3rd party studio. He says it couldn't be possible to render it on current gen consoles and it even looks levels above Red Dead Redemption 2.

Imagine what some exclusives will look like
That sounds promising, though my impression of Red Dead 2 was not "best looking game" this gen. I mean it was fine...but I was much more impressed with games like Horizon and Gears 5. Red Dead looks fantastic for an open world game, but it's still 30 FPS and I'm admittedly spoiled by PC in this regard.

demigod

just wait as someone will mention ssd being ground breaking and never seen before. Whilesata ssds are already outclasses by m2 in pc enthusiasm segment. Also link, just like on page 1, saying most pc players have worse hardware than their pricy plastic boxes.

Spoken like someone who doesn't even own an m.2. Fake PC gamer.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

That sounds promising, though my impression of Red Dead 2 was not "best looking game" this gen. I mean it was fine...but I was much more impressed with games like Horizon and Gears 5. Red Dead looks fantastic for an open world game, but it's still 30 FPS and I'm admittedly spoiled by PC in this regard.
Yeah, it's debatable as to which game is the best looking, RDR2 is up there in the conversation for sure.

Next generation sounds really promising with what we know so far

Top Bottom