• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 w/Spider-Man drops to 500 USD

Sony really wants to get rid of these old PS5 SKUs as quickly as possible.

They dropped bundled price to 500 (539 with Modern Warfare 2).

Wonder if this push will get them to sell out before the new units become available and whether this will put them on target for the 25 million they had forecasted.

Edit: MW3 bundle is also 500. The 539 bundle is for MW2.

Last edited:
Every version of the PS5 is sold out on PS Direct except the Spider-Man bundle. Only a matter of time until that sells out at this point.

My guess is it sells out by the start of next week and that's it for the old sku. Maybe even before the Nov 10 release of the slim.

It's crazy this thing is still sold for 500 three year's after launch.

I don't think we're going to see much price variation with the PS5 not after Nintendo set the standard of not dropping prices and still selling.

Gamers want consoles and if they continue to buy at this type of clip, we're not going to see much adjustment. The only real chance we have is the PS5 Pro driving the base unit price down, but we'll have to see it happen.

The existence of the PS5 Digital kind of creates a price floor as they're not going to drop the price of that much and the PS5 standard is always going to be more.

Codeblew

According to CPI, $500 buying power in November 2020 was worth $883.94 in September of 2023.
Something is bugged with that calculator (https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm). I got what you got the first time I entered that. But after playing with it with other numbers and dates for a bit, I got a more reasonable $591.38. Inflation definitely hasn't 70+% in less than 3 years.

Edit: I see what we both did. We had 2000 as start year instead of 2020!

Last edited:
Something is bugged with that calculator (https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm). I got what you got the first time I entered that. But after playing with it with other numbers and dates for a bit, I got a more reasonable $591.38. Inflation definitely hasn't 70+% in less than 3 years.

Edit: I see what we both did. We had 2000 as start year instead of 2020!

I'm confident I set it to 2020, that's so strange, but I should have known something was up because when I did the inverse it was like 422.

Poor attention to detail on my part, should have known something was off, but I copied and pasted.

Top Bottom