• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5: Will Sony improve PSN Services Like Playstation Store, Friends List, PSN Profile, Trophies List, Download speed etc. with Playstation 5?

Will Sony improve its PSN Services with PS5?

• Yes everything will load instantly thanks to the fastest SSD in the world, online or offline!

Votes: 42 34.7%
  • PSN speed will likely improve a bit but will still take quite a while.

Votes: 38 31.4%
  • PSN will never be as fast or stable as XBL!

Votes: 41 33.9%

• Total voters

Aranea

It would be nice if everyone could see my custom avatar without having to resort to send a real name request.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
They will hopefully improve it, but in my opinion, the PS UI has been weak this entire generation, so I don't have high hopes.

JSoup

Banned
The logical answer is yes.

The realistic answer is no.
We reached a point years ago where 'improvements' means 'redo it'. They've been talking about rebuilding the PSN from the ground up for seven years, but it's not going to happen until it's financially viable to do so. Even with the PSN as janky as it is, it's use to complaint ratio is pretty good. I can see them finally starting work on it during the PS5's lifetime, but no actual progress until near the end.

mili2110

Wow I have never seen an even poll like this ;D

My guess is we will still have "bad" internet services on PS5 compared to XSX/XSS. Maybe a lil faster but not until whole PSN revamp (new data warehouse, more nodes, azure infrastructure etc.)

On Demand

Banned
The entire PS5 dashboard is brand new and faster

mili2110

The entire PS5 dashboard is brand new and faster

I hope we can see a glimpse of it next sunday.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
PSN will never be as fast or stable as XBL!
200.gif

The realistic answer is no.
We reached a point years ago where 'improvements' means 'redo it'. They've been talking about rebuilding the PSN from the ground up for seven years, but it's not going to happen until it's financially viable to do so. Even with the PSN as janky as it is, it's use to complaint ratio is pretty good. I can see them finally starting work on it during the PS5's lifetime, but no actual progress until near the end.
Hmm so there will be zero improvement from PS4 PSN to PS5 PSN ?

When I first glanced at the title of the thread I read:

PS5: Sony Will improve PSN Services Like Playstation Store, Friends List, PSN Profile, Trophies List, Download speed etc. with Playstation 5?

Until I saw the question mark at the end, then I had to go back and re-read it.

I don't know what you guys are complaining about... My DL speeds are just fine, install times are great (I wonder if xbox fixed that on their site, last time I heard it took much longer to install a similar size game on the one), the OS does all I need on a gaming console and it's not clunky (which means it does not get in the way of whatever I'm trying to do, which is usually launch a game or netflix/prime video).

I don't get complaints about PSN. I have no comparison with XBL obviously but honestly I've been using PS4 for 6 years and can't recall any major problems with it. Maybe in the US there are problems with servers or something but I always thought this was kinda overblown on forums.
Its slow and not snappy at all, the new xb UI is ace though, i hope sony improve the ps5 UI in a similar way

Justin9mm

What kind of afwull bandwith are you talking about

PSN runs flawlessly for me
It is widely known to not be very fast. I'm guessing by flawless you mean it works!?

For example I have a One X and PS4 Pro. I have 100Mbps download speed through my ISP, if I download a game through PSN my speed on any given good day is bottlenecked to between 10-20Mbps... If I'm lucky!

On the One X for example, I can download a game say from Game Pass and it sits between 89-93Mbps constant.

So to put it mildly, the bandwidth on the PS is shit!

Last edited:

TeKtheSanE

It is widely known to not be very fast. I'm guessing by flawless you mean it works!?

For example I have a One X and PS4 Pro. I have 100Mbps download speed through my ISP, if I download a game through PSN my speed on any given good day is bottlenecked to between 10-20Mbps... If I'm lucky!

On the One X for example, I can download a game say from Game Pass and it sits between 89-93Mbps constant.

So to put it mildly, the bandwidth on the PS is shit!
Sadly I can second this, I have 500Mbps download speed and both PS4 and Xbox One X hooked up with ethernet. Downloads on the X are around 80-93Mbps as well; I'm guessing that's a limit? PS4 sticks me at around 15-25Mbps.

Hoping both consoles can utilize my net better this next generation either way :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Top Bottom