• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#PS5NoDRM || OT physical and digital coexistence

sn0man

Recently a thread regarding an old hashtag was resurrected. #PS4noDRM

It made me realize that we should be taking the time to talk about this now before the new consoles PS5/XSX are available. Online check-ins and activations make no sense for physical media. At the same time digital games are successful and a great addition for those that prefer that method of purchasing.

Right now a PS4 works without an internet connection. A Nintendo switch also works without an internet connection. You never have to hook up Ethernet, pair to WiFi, or do any of that stuff for 1st party titles, and a majority of third party titles. You hook up to power, TV, insert the disc/cart and just enjoy gaming. You can trade these games and you can let friends borrow them. It works just like an Xbo360 or a Super Nintendo.

In addition, the PS4 and Nintendo do allow you to connect your system online. To find and shop for and download and enjoy digital media. Neither option hurts the other.

I want that to last at least one more generation personally.

GAF; I am hopeful, whether you enjoy digital or physical (or both) that you will spread the word. #PS5noDRM and help show Sony that we appreciated the way they treated physical media for the PS4 and that we believe it matters in 2020.

(I have to go to work, but I’ll come back tonight to edit the OP with what we have.)

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
While I'd like to see the no drm thing continue, I'd also like to see a system in place that "ties" your disc to your console so you don't have to have it in every time you want to play.

If you lend it to a friend or sell it online, it ties itself to the next console it's installed on.

Virex

Banned
Switch doesn't always work without internet. A lot of games on cart are unplayable without downloading the other half of the game

Vawn

Banned
Switch doesn't always work without internet. A lot of games on cart are unplayable without downloading the other half of the game

But once you download it, you don't have to check online every time you want to play it, as was the original plan with Xbox One.

TimFL

I was honestly a big fan of the original XB1 DRM, although they could‘ve gone about introducing it way way better.

It could‘ve instead been just a one-time check-in during first playback of the disc that registers your disc license with your account. Why would one need periodic check-ins for this? Just offer an optional un-link option to free up a license again to give your copy away.
Or better yet: license take-over requests. Picture this: your friend gets your game disc and puts it in their console, their console checks for the license on PS Servers and sees that it‘s tied to you. It sends a take-over ping to your console. If your console is online, it frees up the license and gives it to your friends console and they can start playing the game. If your console is offline, your friend will call and pester you to turn your console on so the license is freed up. This would also enable you to digitally send over a games license to a friend (because you being online can free up the license and then send it to your friends account, who can redeem it the next time they are online. Add a lending mode for this so you still remain the true owner of the game, allowing you to request back access at any time... this could potentially be tied to let‘s say your friend has to be online to play the game if it was lended digitally).

Add a QR code to any disc that checks whether a disc license is currently tied to an account to prevent people from trading in locked games.

I‘m almost 100% certain that the new consoles will have an even bigger focus on being always-on devices anyways, so your console should always be reachable by license servers. And honestly, if you use sour consoles without any internet connection (bar the occasional internet outage) you have my condolences anyways, because current gen consoles absolutely shit the bed in offline mode with all the features and content that gets disabled and/or slows down to a crawl.

Last edited:

Quezacolt

I‘m almost 100% certain that the new consoles will have an even bigger focus on being always-on devices anyways, so your console should always be reachable by license servers. And honestly, if you use sour consoles without any internet connection (bar the occasional internet outage) you have my condolences anyways, because current gen consoles absolutely shit the bed in offline mode with all the features and content that gets disabled and/or slows down to a crawl.
I had my ps4 months without being connected to the net (forgot to connect to the new router) and i never had any issue during all those months.

sn0man

I had my ps4 months without being connected to the net (forgot to connect to the new router) and i never had any issue during all those months.

I agree. I’ve noticed that when I set my PS4 Pro to not connect to the internet the user interface is quicker and crisper and moving around is actually better. I am assuming it is because all of the associated network features are not being streamed down to the Pro at that point but it might be placebo.

Top Bottom