• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: Xbox Live Gold -> Game Pass Ultimate Conversion Has Been Changed from 1 : 1 to 3 : 2

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The dream is (somewhat) over.

Now for 3 years of Gold, you will get 2 years equivalent of GPU.

7rz7u07g6eab1.png

Last edited:

adamsapple

PSA: Here's a guide on how to get the conversion for the cheapest.

CDKeys has Turkey 12 month codes for just $33 right now. You can get 3 codes (and 24 months of GPU) for approx $100 right now.

-

1. Purchase [cdkeys.com] 12-Month Xbox Live Gold Membership (Turkey - Email Delivery).
2. Create [windscribe.com] Free Account on Windscribe VPN and Download App or Chrome Extension [windscribe.com].
3. Connect to Turkey on Windscribe VPN or using your own VPN service/app.
4. Redeem [microsoft.com] your Xbox Live Gold code(s) without agreeing to recurring billing.
You can stack up to three years of Xbox Live Gold.
5. Disconnect VPN.
6. Join Xbox Game Pass Ultimate [xbox.com] by purchasing your first month for $1 ($14.99 if you joined Game Pass before for $1).

Don't enable auto renewal when asked.

adamsapple

Who's bright idea was it to use GPU as an acronym for Game Pass Ultimate when it's already synonymous with Graphical Processing Unit...If you're going to do this. At-least layout the full name for the initial acronym:

Game Pass Ultimate (GPU)

already requested, i thought it was easy enough but ok.

Aion002

This Is Fine Woody Harrelson GIF by NEON

I guess I won't buy games with my Xbox Rewards points anymore and just use them on the gamepass subscription...

Angry Season 2 GIF by The Boys

kiphalfton

Of course it is. My GPU subscription ends this month, and I was planning on letting my subscription lapses, loading up on Xbox live gold codes (to get 3 years worth), then converting to GPU.

Guess not now. Was hesitant to do so in the first place, before this news even came out, but not going to get back into GPU.

For the price PS+ Premium is better.

Power Pro

This is probably a controversial opinion, but I haven't had Game Pass since May, and I have no intention of renewing it. Most of the worthwhile games on there are cheap as hell, and I've never been a fan of not owning the games in my library. I hate having deadlines, I'll get to a game when I feel like it. I don't like feeling pressured to renew something all the time, especially when so much shit is a subscription service these days. I'm already at my limit on what I feel comfortable spending on monthly subs with spotify and amazon. Any more, and you really don't see the benefit of paying a monthly fee as opposed to buying outright.

And like I said, once my sub expired, I was able to get pretty much all the worthwhile games physically at GameStop for under $10 each, or digitally through other regions way cheap, and I'm good. Starfield is the only game coming out I'd want to get coming to game pass soon, and I'm fine buying it cuz I like owning shit, not renting them.

Nydius

Knew it was coming eventually and surprised they didn’t kill it outright. The conversion is still significantly cheaper than paying 2 years of retail Game Pass Ultimate, even if you pay full retail.

6 months Gold from Microsoft store is $39.99, so three years of that is $239.94, plus $16.99 for the new one month Game Pass Ultimate price, gives you a total of $256.93. 24 months of full retail Game Pass Ultimate at $16.99 a month is $407.76.

Still a substantial savings, and still quite the loss for Microsoft over keeping people paying full retail for Game Pass. I won’t be surprised if this gets modified again in the future. If not eventually phased out entirely.

I think I've only ever paid the regular price for GPU once or twice. Every other time I've used MS Rewards points, but now MS is getting very stingy with those Rewards points, so from now on I'm only going to sub when a big game like Starfield comes along. Otherwise, I don't want to play online games or rentals going forward. I've never been compelled to do the three year Gold conversion method.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Knew it was coming eventually and surprised they didn’t kill it outright. The conversion is still significantly cheaper than paying 2 years of retail Game Pass Ultimate, even if you pay full retail.

6 months Gold from Microsoft store is $39.99, so three years of that is $239.94, plus $16.99 for the new one month Game Pass Ultimate price, gives you a total of $256.93. 24 months of full retail Game Pass Ultimate at $16.99 a month is $407.76.

Still a substantial savings, and still quite the loss for Microsoft over keeping people paying full retail for Game Pass. I won’t be surprised if this gets modified again in the future. If not eventually phased out entirely.

You can half the cost by getting codes from CDKeys.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I think I've only ever paid the regular price for GPU once or twice. Every other time I've used MS Rewards points, but now MS is getting very stingy with those Rewards points, so from now on I'm only going to sub when a big game like Starfield comes along. Otherwise, I don't want to play online games or rentals going forward. I've never been compelled to do the three year Gold conversion method.
Are they getting stingy with them? After the last change my monthly rewards earnings went up.

I got my 3 years back in 2021 and it goes until June 2024. What a waste of money that was... a sub sitting there for 3 years that I don't use at all. I would have been much better off spending that money buying steam games that I'll never play, because at least on Steam I get to keep the games into perpetuity.

SScorpio

CD key sites you can get one year for $50, and $23 for six months. So 6x $23 + $18 = $156 and you should get 25 months as the 36 months of Live becomes 24 months of GPU, and you are purchasing one month of GPU, so $6.24/month.

Three month live cards are also frequently under $9, and those will convert over to 50 days of GPU if applied while you have an active subscription.

oji-san

Banned
My 3 years ends at 1/10, won't even be able to finish Starfield in peace, having seriously doubt i will renew my sub, hate when shit like this happens.

Nydius

CD key sites you can get one year for $50, and $23 for six months.
You can half the cost by getting codes from CDKeys.

I guess you both must have missed that I specifically mentioned "retail price" intentionally.

I know you can get them cheaper from gray market sites because I regularly do. But gray market key reseller sites isn't what Microsoft is banking on. They want people paying as close to retail as possible, otherwise they're never going to make money on this long term.

Last edited:

adamsapple

I guess you both must have missed that I specifically mentioned "retail price" intentionally.

I know you can get them cheaper from gray market sites because I regularly do. But gray market key reseller sites isn't what Microsoft is banking on. They want people paying as close to retail as possible, otherwise they're never going to make money on this long term.

Copy that.

I'm sure they'll be fine, if it was a big enough issue, they wouldn't be offering the conversion at all.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I remember when they regularly offered 6,000 points for purchasing games, but they don't do that anymore.
I still get them sporadically. I had an offer last week to earn up to 10,000 points by purchasing games but there weren't any I wanted. The offer is gone this week.

reinking

Gold Member
This is probably a controversial opinion, but I haven't had Game Pass since May, and I have no intention of renewing it. Most of the worthwhile games on there are cheap as hell, and I've never been a fan of not owning the games in my library. I hate having deadlines, I'll get to a game when I feel like it. I don't like feeling pressured to renew something all the time, especially when so much shit is a subscription service these days. I'm already at my limit on what I feel comfortable spending on monthly subs with spotify and amazon. Any more, and you really don't see the benefit of paying a monthly fee as opposed to buying outright.

And like I said, once my sub expired, I was able to get pretty much all the worthwhile games physically at GameStop for under $10 each, or digitally through other regions way cheap, and I'm good. Starfield is the only game coming out I'd want to get coming to game pass soon, and I'm fine buying it cuz I like owning shit, not renting them.
I still have a few years but I am not renewing either. I just do not play enough games to justify the cost and I will use PC for multiplayer.

Robbinhood

Banned
Absolute cocks. I knew my codes wouldn’t last until September but I waited anyway.

MS is really trying to squeeze everything out of Starfield. Im thinking it would be smarter to just buy the game on steam instead of paying month to month just to play the game. That feeling of rushing through or if you get busy you essentially wasted money on that month, can’t play with peace of mind etc. Gaming subscriptions aint it.

not surprising after the price hike announcement

they’re slowly closing the loopholes as they’re less focused on growth and more on turning a profit

Gotta make sure the masses don’t figure out a cheap way to play Starfield and bounce. They want full cheddar for their one hit wonder.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I thought they’d wait until they had made inroads re: console market share to turn the screw. Sad to see this coming following a time of sustained poor quality additions. The original vision was 100 or so carefully curated quality games, I remember seeing average Metacritic score graphs and 90% of the games on Game Pass were rated 80+.

Top Bottom