• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: Xbox Live Gold -> Game Pass Ultimate Conversion Has Been Changed from 1 : 1 to 3 : 2

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Microsoft Rewards into GPU will be nerfed soon I reckon.

35,000 for 3 months currently surely will become something like 50,000 at some point. It's basically free GPU.

Last edited:

NickFire

Er .. no.

day 1 is still day 1, if you're talking about Starfield, the 5 day early-access is for the Premium versions, which are $100.

The standard edition is day 1 with game pass.
Day 1 is literally the first day you can play any retail version of the game. That is not really debatable. Whether or not its misleading to advertise day 1 but only for the standard edition is fair debate fodder. I don't think it's a big deal because I know what the restrictions are so no possible way I would be misled. But others might disagree with me and I wouldn't blame them, especially if they have been subbed for years waiting for a big day 1 game and find out its not really day 1 unless they spend 100 for early access on top of their sub.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Day 1 is literally the first day you can play any retail version of the game. That is not really debatable. Whether or not its misleading to advertise day 1 but only for the standard edition is fair debate fodder. I don't think it's a big deal because I know what the restrictions are so no possible way I would be misled. But others might disagree with me and I wouldn't blame them, especially if they have been subbed for years waiting for a big day 1 game and find out its not really day 1 unless they spend 100 for early access on top of their sub.

If you have game pass, you don't need to get the $100 version if you want early access, you can do the $30 upgrade to the premium edition and get early access.

Secondly, early access = / = day 1. The name is self explanatory. Day 1 is the release date of the game.

xEJHD6w.jpg

Banjo64

cumsessed
Say you only care about Starfield and Forza Motorsport, that would be $140, so for only $40 more you can get 2 years of ultimate which gives you an opportunity to try out lots of other gems on the service. No brainer for me personally.
Assuming you’d buy them day one instead of waiting 2-3 months for them to see significant discounts.

Kurotri

PSA: Here's a guide on how to get the conversion for the cheapest.

CDKeys has Turkey 12 month codes for just $33 right now. You can get 3 codes (and 24 months of GPU) for approx $100 right now.

-

1. Purchase [cdkeys.com] 12-Month Xbox Live Gold Membership (Turkey - Email Delivery).
2. Create [windscribe.com] Free Account on Windscribe VPN and Download App or Chrome Extension [windscribe.com].
3. Connect to Turkey on Windscribe VPN or using your own VPN service/app.
4. Redeem [microsoft.com] your Xbox Live Gold code(s) without agreeing to recurring billing.
You can stack up to three years of Xbox Live Gold.
5. Disconnect VPN.
6. Join Xbox Game Pass Ultimate [xbox.com] by purchasing your first month for $1 ($14.99 if you joined Game Pass before for $1).

Don't enable auto renewal when asked.
Can this still be done when your subscription is still running, or do you have to wait until it expires and try again? Although mine ends in 2024, I'm still curious.

adamsapple

Can this still be done when your subscription is still running, or do you have to wait until it expires and try again? Although mine ends in 2024, I'm still curious.

You can do it when its running, but you'll get a severely pro rated conversion. Best to do it when the current one lapses (and hope the price doesn't increase again by next year).

This is the conversion chart with an existing sub:

1 month of Gold​
20 days of Ultimate​
3 months of Gold​
50 days of Ultimate (1+ month)​
6 months of Gold​
81 days of Ultimate (2+ months)​
12 months of Gold​
4 months of Ultimate​
24 months of Gold​
6 months of Ultimate​

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This is probably a controversial opinion, but I haven't had Game Pass since May, and I have no intention of renewing it. Most of the worthwhile games on there are cheap as hell, and I've never been a fan of not owning the games in my library. I hate having deadlines, I'll get to a game when I feel like it. I don't like feeling pressured to renew something all the time, especially when so much shit is a subscription service these days. I'm already at my limit on what I feel comfortable spending on monthly subs with spotify and amazon. Any more, and you really don't see the benefit of paying a monthly fee as opposed to buying outright.

And like I said, once my sub expired, I was able to get pretty much all the worthwhile games physically at GameStop for under $10 each, or digitally through other regions way cheap, and I'm good. Starfield is the only game coming out I'd want to get coming to game pass soon, and I'm fine buying it cuz I like owning shit, not renting them.

Sounds perfect to me.

graywolf323

You can do it when its running, but you'll get a severely pro rated conversion. Best to do it when the current one lapses (and hope the price doesn't increase again by next year).

1 month of Gold​
20 days of Ultimate​
3 months of Gold​
6 months of Gold​
12 months of Gold​
4 months of Ultimate​
24 months of Gold​
6 months of Ultimate​
I have a feeling that eventually they’ll likely nix the bonus they give to lapsed subs and it’ll just be like this chart for everyone

twilo99

1 month of Gold​
20 days of Ultimate​
3 months of Gold​
6 months of Gold​
12 months of Gold​
4 months of Ultimate​
24 months of Gold​
6 months of Ultimate​

Or you can cancel prematurely if you only have a month or two left and lock in the deal if you are worried, they might get rid of it all together, that's what I did last week. So, if you don't have an active subscription it works.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sounds good to me. At some point MS was going to crack down on this. But going from 1:1 to 3:2 is still a fantastic deal. Still got two more years on my second 3-year gold conversion.

Amazing. I've been subbing to Gold since the 360 days. It was $1 to go to GPU for the first 3 years, and then 1 month for this second 3 year term. GPU has cost me one month of GPU + $1 for 6 years of it. lol

Why anyone would buy GPU at regular is price who knows.

peish

for existing GPU, the best 'free' official route to extend is redeem xbl gold 1 month on the rewards store, converting to 20 days of GPU?

peish

for existing GPU, the best 'free' official route to extend is redeem xbl gold 1 month on the rewards store, converting to 20 days of GPU?

nope i am wrong, the cheapest is to do 3 months xblg redemption on rewards with level 2 discounts.

sure i only get 50 days of gpu, after conversion but i save 2000 reward points if i had redeem only 1 month of xblg.

on another note, it seems to give me 51 days of gpu and not 50. if i count the days, day by day o_O

adamsapple

The best 'free' official route is the Microsoft Points route. But if you want convenience and convert a bulk amount of months, for cheap, at the same time, the Gold -> GPU conversion is the best way,

Last edited:
Top Bottom