• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: Zone of the Enders HD patch out in Europe. [Up: Now up in the US]

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Goddamn ZoE2 has such an awesome finale, the battle as Vascilies Chasm ran so flawlessly I couldn't even believe it.

I ended up playing with my dual shock 2 with a usb adapter because the DS3's marshmallow triggers are really not good for properly activating burst.

Schlomo

Currently playing ZOE 1 for the first time. Wow, the English localization is terrible. If I had known it was this cutscene heavy, I'd have bought the Japanese version.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
i think they are reacting to your fingernail
First time people see long finger nails or what? Not common in US?

Ezi0

I bought this on Thursday due to the patch. It's the first time I've ever played these games and I completed them both over the weekend. All I can say is wow. I can't believe I never played these two fantastic games all those years ago.

Jehuty is awesome.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Finishing this now. It is night and day. Genuinely a new game. Hats off to Hexadrive. They must have redone the entire port.

Why did Konami pay for this? The game is not going to sell more.

cj_iwakura

So it's really that good now? I'd considered getting it for ZoE1(I only own 2 on PS2), but the horror stories scared me away. Damn shame this resulted in no ZoE3. Sales of a crappy port are hardly a good basis for determining if people want a sequel.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Finishing this now. It is night and day. Genuinely a new game. Hats off to Hexadrive. They must have redone the entire port.

Kojima is probably embarrassed by it.

Zebetite

Banned

I read somewhere that Kojima mentioned on his podcast that he heard people were upset with the port and that a patch was coming (this was not long after the HD collection's release). The people he's referring to is the Japanese audience, for whom Zone of the Enders is a bigger deal than the Western audience (this is also probably one of the reasons why the patch is only for PS3).

I guess keeping the high reputation of both Kojima Productions and the ZoE franchise was worth enough to Kojima that he convinced Konami to do something about it. Not sure how.

EDIT: http://www.siliconera.com/2013/05/0...ittle-longer-for-a-zone-of-the-enders-sequel/

Kojima's comments are either mistranslated or partially false since KojiPro didn't do anything aside from maybe hiring HexaDrive.

MechaX

Well...

You know what, I'm just going to let that subject go.

For better or for worse, ZOE is still a KojiPro title. Any shoddy work would still reflect negatively on the team. It's different from a Silent Hill scenario where Team Silent was all but dead at that point, Konami just wanted to make a quick buck, and I doubt a lot of that shit could have been fixed with a mere patch.

Also, fuck High Voltage for putting players in this position to begin with (and also taking the coward's way out by just ignoring any comments/concerns about the game when it was released).

JoeFenix

Project Ender's concept sounded so fucking cool, what is up with companies announcing stuff just to quietly cancel it these days?

enders_project_07_thumb.jpg

I want to play that game so badly :(

RangerBAD

Project Ender's concept sounded so fucking cool, what is up with companies announcing stuff just to quietly cancel it these days?

If I remember right, they were just in a "consideration" phase. Throwing around ideas, but not really setting a development in stone.

Cels

they patched trophies into MGS4 and they didn't get anything for that either.

if embarrassment/pride was really the reason then they should wouldn't have patched one game on one platform, still have ZOE1 for both platforms as well as ZOE2 for 360 out there.

no it's pretty common with young women here in the US. not with men though.

this game is so fucking disorienting.

every time I let go of the left stick the camera rotates to god knows where and I don't know which way I'm going anymore.

I have no idea how I didn't have trouble with this when it came out on PS2.

Eusis

they patched trophies into MGS4 and they didn't get anything for that either.

if embarrassment/pride was really the reason then they should wouldn't have patched one game on one platform, still have ZOE1 for both platforms as well as ZOE2 for 360 out there.
Well, ZoE1 wasn't AS far behind (and not the game most care about), and Microsoft patching policies really may have been an obstacle there, the patch was pretty hefty and I seriously do expect was more or less replacing the executable or at least most of the game outside of the audio/visual assets. Probably too big for Microsoft to permit, at least on a game that isn't a huge AAA title they don't want to be behind on.

It's also possibly a case for why going multiplatform (as things currently stand) may not be as ideal as it seems, sometimes a platform really does hold back the other versions, and not just over hardware but the policies on it.

Zebetite

Banned
its especially bad in tunnels.

The worst camera offence for me is the basement levels of Fortress City just before you fight Inhert. Giant moving pillars that can crush and kill you in a single blow and you gotta fight a whole bunch of enemy LEVs amidst that and your camera is going nuts and you have no idea how high or how low you are and oh god I just got crushed gotta restart from checkpoint.

Jubern

For the whole "Why just ZOE2 and not 1?", I genuinely think that it's because they just don't care. I remember Kojima saying on record (either at some point during E3 2011 or during those stage shows at TGS the same year) that he even considered re-releasing Anubis only, without ZOE1. You can tell he doesn't care much about the first game.

As for PS3 vs 360, I'd go with MS policies too. Sure, they recently dropped the cost thing, but the patch was likely in development for several months already, planned at a stage where they thought they might have to drop a big sum of money and decided it wasn't worth it.

I've been playing ZoE2 over the weekend. Not only it now runs at 60fps but it also has anti-aliasing. Truly the definitive version. Now the intros using the old HD gameplay footage at sub 30fps now look even worse in comparison lolol

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I want this game to be made. It concept was absolutely incredible. Unique and really cool. I feel like they could have marketed it in a way that didn't need there to be much goodwill from the previous games to carry over. Maybe Kojima will convince Konami to let him make it but I doubt it.

Eusis

would be pretty rad if ZOE1 got the kh 1.5 treatment. Just imagine it play like ZOE2... but i guess kojima doesn't care, so w/e.
Well, most of the problem was the scenario itself in ZoE1 whereas KH1 was fine there as I recall, or not notably behind later KH games anyway. You'd need to add a lot of real material there, which I'd kinda like actually as I was fond of the atmosphere the first game had. ZoE2 has more of an MGS feel in contrast.

jdl

Banned

what was the concept here? I can't tell if Jehuty is badly damaged or is turning into an organic lifeform.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
no it's pretty common with young women here in the US. not with men though.
'tis my girlfriends nails though :3

JoeFenix

what was the concept here? I can't tell if Jehuty is badly damaged or is turning into an organic lifeform.

Egyptian themed ancient civilization, Jehuty and Anubis seem to be alive, character designs looked godlike. Metatron was still involved and it would have kept the anime stylings but less sci-fi and more fantasy.

I was getting some Panzer Dragoon vibes for some reason, I don't know, the whole concept just really appealed to me :(

zoe525.jpg

v_thumb.php

Z3M0G

Does ZoE2 still contain the original recap video of ZoE1? Or did they remove that in the HD collection?

If the vid is still there, I'll wait and see for the ZoE2 stand-alone release.

If the vid is not there, I will buy the full collection.

Edit: Asking for someone else, did the patch include camera control inversion option?

Well, most of the problem was the scenario itself in ZoE1 whereas KH1 was fine there as I recall, or not notably behind later KH games anyway. You'd need to add a lot of real material there, which I'd kinda like actually as I was fond of the atmosphere the first game had. ZoE2 has more of an MGS feel in contrast.

Now that I think about it, with how limited actual game the first game was in terms of stages (they sure pad the fuck out of it) and how much reused units and gameplay ideas of the 1st game were in the 2nd one... Rebuilding ZOE1 into a few missions for ZOE2 should be possible without too much issue.

Kysen

Replayed the game after the patch yesterday, night and day difference. The Anubis fights especially the one between Aumaan and mars were smooth no more crippling slowdown after zero shift.

mattp

kojima was probably pissed and i guess he gets a favor or 2 from konami a year to keep him happy
they need to keep him happy, he's the only fucking thing they have left

JP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSDb6hAeGHA

Comparison video before patch and after patch.

Looks really really solid, obviously you can't see 60 fps on youtube but look at the insane slowdown and blur in the pre patch version, it's all fixed on the patched version.

Looks like they've also added depth of field back in cutscenes and the particles are cleaned up and sharper. Image quality is way nicer, this looks incredible!
Thanks for the video.

Good job done by HexaDrive, it can't be easy fixing a mess that somebody else has made.

Hearing of the patch had me planning on going to Best Buy after work tonight to pick up the collection (bringing a printout to match Amazon's $23), but hearing of the digital versions coming this week might get me to hold off. Is there any word on pricing? I might just go digital and get ZOE2 by itself. 1 was alright but I'm not sure I have much desire to revisit it.

Top Bottom