• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSGroove - A variety of options for jailbreaking, and new homebrew all the time

commissar said:
>>>
So you can make any USB drive into a dongle now? Not sure what I'm understanding here.

usb dongles merely store info, this requires a micro-processor to execute code onboard.

I've gone ahead and ordered a Teensy++ anyway as I'll be able to use it for a prototype project I'm working on, but I'd suggest waiting before spending money on it to see if this actually leads anywhere interesting (unless you're only interested in backups lol)
So the PSP has the micro processor this requires?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Big One said:
So you can make any USB drive into a dongle now? Not sure what I'm understanding here.
No, this will not work on a USB drive. AFAIK, the way the exploit works is it fools the system into thinking its a USB hub. It then connects and disconnects fake devices in an order to cause the overflow and reboot the console in debug mode. A USB drive is not capable of emulating a hub. To make a dongle you'll need a programmable USB board that is capable of running the code. So far only the AT90USB chips have been confirmed to work.

commissar

^^^ huh interesting

LovingSteam said:
well the psp can run code, so as long as someone wrote a program to do so I guess it would.

afaik that would require disabling the way psp handles usb connections so I guess it might be complicated? I don't know much about coding at all.

Phreak47

LovingSteam said:

It's not that it's a special processor, what's special is that most all PSPs can themselves be hacked to run homebrew. Therefore a developer should be able to port this code to run on the PSP. You should be able to run the app, connect the USB cable, and do the poweron procedure on the PS3... then the PSP's screen could say something like "Successful!" Yay!

And now we know the device can be removed afterwards too... even better. If someone makes it for Android, I would probably just use that even though I do also have a hacked PSP.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
commissar said:
^^^ huh interesting

well the psp can run code, so as long as someone wrote a program to do so I guess it would.

afaik that would require disabling the way psp handles usb connections so I guess it might be complicated? I don't know much about coding at all.
That's my understanding as well. Someone will have to code a new USB driver for the PSP to get it to emulate the dongle.

20100901-fnre8xgimj9sx2grkai8xm5ymf.jpg

AFAIK, once the driver is out it should just be a matter of turning on and off the plugin from the recovery menu when you want to use it.

Chesskid1

Banned
i tried to link a site, but it turned into asterisks so i'm guessing that site is not allowed here. (it's a ps3 homebrew site), anyways, they posted how to change the code into enabling bdvd (backups) again. :lol untested atm, though.

the race is on to see if it can be ported to iphone/psp they also said in the thread :D

itxaka

Defeatist
Already ordered my Teensy++ 2.0 board :)

I can only imagine the extra things that the open source community can provide. They already made it so you can disconnect the dongle after doing the xploit without the ps3 freezing :)

Who's gonna do the official homebrew thread? Mejillian? :D

itxaka said:
Already ordered my Teensy++ 2.0 board :)

I can only imagine the extra things that the open source community can provide. They already made it so you can disconnect the dongle after doing the xploit without the ps3 freezing :)

Who's gonna do the official homebrew thread? Mejillian? :D
Dude i'm so psyched to see where this leads!!!

Ignignort

For those in Aus I'm waiting for a reply from prjc about the shipping costs to Australia. Their website says that shipping is $70 for express.

commissar

Ignignort said:
For those in Aus I'm waiting for a reply from prjc about the shipping costs to Australia. Their website says that shipping is $70 for express.
it's like $7.05 airshipped to NZ (2-3 weeks). says so right on the website, and when you order. (non-tracked)

itxaka

Defeatist
WTF?

brandonlwilson

Looks like PSGroove CAN be ported to the TI-84 Plus/Silver Edition, to run the exploit from it. Forget sleep, I'm on this till I collapse.

:lol

No way someone is gonna port the expoit to a calculator :lol

Chesskid1

Banned
cmon guys, don't order anything. this will be ported to a plethora of USB devices /w any type of processor most likely.

edit: lol nice timing me after calculator post. :lol

Ignignort

commissar said:
it's like $7.05 airshipped to NZ (2-3 weeks). says so right on the website, and when you order. (non-tracked)

ignignort said:

Missed my point but thats okay.

IMACOMPUTA

Just ordered 2 Teensy++ 2.0 boards.
Kinda regret it, since you guys are most likely right about the phone/psp being able to run this code soon.
Ah well, I'll code them and sell em for double.

Noshino

BladeoftheImmortal said:
So, I've got a 60GB PS3 and tons of PS2 games. You think this will allow PS2 backups also?

Not for now, they disabled that option as it also stops piracy.

Beth Cyra

Noshino said:
Not for now, they disabled that option as it also stops piracy.

Was it ever able to do that in the first place?

I thought that it was only PS3 games that could be saved off the disk, or at least there had been no mention of PS2 software?

Vai

I haven't been following the jailbreak thread, is there a good source summarising what is known (nothing useful in the original thread's OP)?

Does it work on the slim?
Any indication how easy/difficult it would be for Sony to patch this?

onken

Vai said:
I haven't been following the jailbreak thread, is there a good source summarising what is known (nothing useful in the original thread's OP)?

Does it work on the slim?
Any indication how easy/difficult it would be for Sony to patch this?

Yes.
Nobody knows.

IMACOMPUTA

People have compiled the code, with and without backup manager support.

It's now really as easy as downloading the .hex, downloading the usb device's flashing program, and flashing the .hex to the board.

Wow.
Nice!

spons

Gold Member
I'll wait for the code that enables me to just hook my PS3 up to my PC to exploit it.

I don't see why they're so sensitive on the backup manager though. Installing games greatly improves performance on the 360, the same should go for the PS3. On the other hand, the Playstation doesn't sound like a jet engine.

Beth Cyra

spons said:
I'll wait for the code that enables me to just hook my PS3 up to my PC to exploit it.

I don't see why they're so sensitive on the backup manager though. Installing games greatly improves performance on the 360, the same should go for the PS3. On the other hand, the Playstation doesn't sound like a jet engine.

It is more then likely a way for them to show that they are against piracy and want to promote a homebrew scene that doesn't have that in it.

Sure not everyone will use this ablitiy for that, hell we got a few people in this thread that are looking forward to it, but that doesn't change the fact that many pirates will make use of the feature to rip off games.

Phreak47 said:
I guess perhaps these guys just might be the ones that are going to reinsert the deleted code? Hmmmmm... :D
So what exactly are you referring with this?

it's a trap

I'll give huge props for this being open source, fuck those greedy bastards @ PSjailbreak

Vagabundo

The plot thickens...

I'm excited to see what Sony will do; the challenge-response from the hacking community will also tell if this is a longer reaching hack.

Went ahead and ordered a AT90USBKEY. Ships from my home state of Minnesota, so I am fingers crossed to grab one of these for labor day weekend to tinker around.

I am really hoping this enables region free PS2. I've got some old Pop'n and IIDX games laying around from when I had a working JPN PS2 that I have been itching to play lately.

Stupid dead laser =(

At any rate, this should be prove to be a fun project. Emulator's ahoy!

Edit: Just asked a friend if he wanted me to grab him one, and it seems like all the Teensy's and AT90USBKEY's are spoken for haha. Major sellout across every supplier I've found. The original $130 key just ended up making tons of cash for everyone selling homebrew usb controllers. Most of those places are small ma&pa type electronics hobby shops, so I couldn't be happier.

I'll also wait until this is coded for the psp or iPhone.

I have a lot invested in PSN. I don't want to lose my account over homebrew or xbmc.

When it is safe to go online with this I'll jump in. Or like someone said if you can delete or disable it when you go online that would be perfect.

Zoe

PetriP-TNT said:
I'll give huge props for this being open source, fuck those greedy bastards @ PSjailbreak

This.

This is how it should have been done in the first place.

"MuscleNerd (iPhone jailbreak guy) is apparently working on an iPhone jailbreak app to spoof the USB dongle with an iPhone."

Oh yay.

This is shaping up to be quite a day.

PS3 Homebrew taking this excellent turn for the better...PRICELESS.

Full PS2 Emulation and the thought of emulators is too nice. I can't wait to see where this goes.

Top Bottom