• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSGroove - A variety of options for jailbreaking, and new homebrew all the time

3rdman

H_Prestige said:
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but without the backup manager, what exactly does this thing do as of now?

If I wanted to play out of region ps2/DVD/BD movies, would they work as long as the dongle is plugged in, or would we have to wait for additional software?
This code allows for unsigned code to run on the XMB...thats it for now. The only written (and released homebrew) program right now is the backup manager but that will change rather quickly I'm sure.

People, it hasn't even been 24 hours since this has been released ad many are already asking about programs that are usable? Give it atleast a few weeks.

Shadow780

TheSeks said:
So they say, but there could be lingering after-effects of the jigkick in the harddrive, all Sony has to do is scan the harddrive while you're on PSN and BLAM, banned for that lingering effect.

I wouldn't trust it until others have gotten banned and learned how to get around it, or have the cash for a spare PS3 to use for online.

You might as well buy two PS3s, one that NEVER connects online, and one that connects to PSN regularly without using the jailbreak.

Momo

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
So is there any chance of this being able to turn on the PSP emulator at some point?

I'd be willing to pay for that.
Do tell, is it fully functional?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Momo said:
Do tell, is it fully functional?
There's a basic emulator in the PS3 firmware that is used to run the Minis. Supposedly it has had some trouble keeping up with some of the Minis released so who knows how it will fare with full release PSP games.

Treo360

Shadow780 said:
You might as well buy two PS3s, one that NEVER connects online, and one that connects to PSN regularly without using the jailbreak.

It's a good thing that I happen to have two, I pulled my launch 20gb from the grid when they pulled Other Os.

I'm sure I'm in the minority but this is good stuff for people like me who would like to see what the ps3 can do once fully opened up.

Eiji

@Mathieulh PLEASE Port it to psp i don't have any access to any usb micro-controller not now nor anytime soon

@FireSoul05 All right, all right I heard you, we are gonna see what's possible to be done (no promises)
1 minute ago via web in reply to FireSoul05

We might get PSP exploiting the PS3 sooner than we think :lol

Mathieulh said:
@FireSoul05 All right, all right I heard you, we are gonna see what's possible to be done (no promises)

Someone was harassing him about getting it onto the PSP, so it seems like he's going to give it a shot.

edit: shit, beaten :(

I'm more interested in the ti-84 one, assuming it doesn't rob my calc of all it's data

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
charlequin said:
Turning it off by default lets them offer their code as a true homebrew-enabling solution that doesn't allow piracy out of the box. The change doesn't appear to be that complicated, but this way anyone who wants to use it for piracy has to go through that trouble and take on the consequences themselves.

It's true that ripping ISOs is dual use and some people on GAF will rejigger the code and use it legitimately to run rips of their own games, but for the group releasing it this is a good way both to insulate themselves and to make a statement about what their intent in releasing the code is.

you can c/p this word for word for wii homebrew :p

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Eiji said:
Apparently Mathieulh has 4 hacked PSPs too :D

Not exactly shocking. If this is the same Mathieulh, he was a prominent PSP homebrew developer back in the day.

Erasus

Amazing that they found out how this worked!

So there is still a microprocessor excecuting code, but they are cheap?

Chesskid1

Banned
@Mathieulh Is possible to do the jailbreak wth a PC? with male-male usb PC: <-----USB cable-----> PS3

@wtfimreading No, all the pc usb controllers are different and most are host only

..for those wondering if a PC to PS3 jailbreak was coming.

Danneee

Nice but I really have no idea of what I would do with this. Emulation would probably be easier and work better on my computer, media playback is already there (except for .mkv) and I dont really care for copying games to the harddrive either.

Danneee said:
Nice but I really have no idea of what I would do with this. Emulation would probably be easier and work better on my computer, media playback is already there (except for .mkv) and I dont really care for copying games to the harddrive either.

I'm interested in the potential in combination with the actual development of what the community creates. I may not use 80% of what comes about but I can't wait to see the results nevertheless.

sn0zc0r3

Neo Member
Man, all I want to do is play my import ps2/ps1 games on my 60gb launch ps3. Once that happens, I'm all about this.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Danneee said:

Hahaha well if you don't want to do anything new with a console and you don't want to change how it already does what it does, you certainly don't need to hack it :p

H_Prestige said:
Same here.

But is this something that would require CFW?

My understanding is that the jailbreak patches lv2 where the GameOS lives so in a way we already have a basic CFW. If they can patch some of the files then others should also be patchable once enough is known about them.

Was going to buy a Teensy board when I got home today but they're all out of stock >.<. Guess I'm waiting for the PSP port.

MiloFoxburr said:
My understanding is that the jailbreak patches lv2 where the GameOS lives so in a way we already have a basic CFW. If they can patch some of the files then others should also be patchable once enough is known about them.

Was going to buy a Teensy board when I got home today but they're all out of stock >.<. Guess I'm waiting for the PSP port.

Sounds good.

Hopefully it will be ported to iPhone soon.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Stumpokapow said:
The PSP hardware is absolutely terrible in every imaginable way and there's a lot of awesome games out on PSP.
Plus you can use an Arcade stick for a fighting game rather then the PSP's buttons. Would be double great if you could get Adhac Party to work also without being banned from PSN :lol

Branson

Drkirby said:
Plus you can use an Arcade stick for a fighting game rather then the PSP's buttons. Would be double great if you could get Adhac Party to work also without being banned from PSN :lol

Banned? What are you talking about? CFW PSPs work on Ad Hoc Party.

Phreak47

H_Prestige said:
Wait, I thought Sony banned the console, not the account?

How will my console be banned if I never sign into PSN or upgrade the FW beyond 3.41? :D

And perhaps later on, it could be deemed safe (or safer, I should say) to be on PSN in certain cases after the dust settles a little. If that is the case, I would still probably create a new PSN account and not risk my "real" one which I want to use on my slim in the living room which shall remain virgin...

Phreak47

Zoe said:
Then what's the point of using a different user?

I suppose I could just disable automatic sign-in with the same user. I thought of that... but I figured it would feel more safe to be under a new user that doesn't even have my PSN configured...

Phreak47

It's also interesting to note that no PSPs (that I have ever heard of) have been banned from PSN for CFW/homebrew. Sony has simply played the cat and mouse with trying to keep people off of PSN, but no bans that I know of.

Of course, that is NO proof they wouldn't do this to PS3s. I would just like to HOPE they take the same strategy, but we can't count on that.

Got the CWCheat Source.. Project Completion: 15% Next: Recode CWCheat to run the compiled OpenPSJailbreak HEX file.
13 minutes ago via web

@netzke we are going to start the android port after the PSP port...stay tuned tho!!

It's moving a long ;)

Zoe

Phreak47 said:
It's also interesting to note that no PSPs (that I have ever heard of) have been banned from PSN for CFW/homebrew. Sony has simply played the cat and mouse with trying to keep people off of PSN, but no bans that I know of.

Do PSP's maintain a persistent connection to PSN when you're not playing a game?

jcm

LovingSteam said:
People, it hasn't even been 24 hours since this has been released ad many are already asking about programs that are usable? Give it atleast a few weeks.

We had three years to write PS3 homebrew and no one bothered. Why will it be different now?

jcm said:
We had three years to write PS3 homebrew and no one bothered. Why will it be different now?

Perhaps people were waiting for full access to the system rather than just a little bit of access? What is your view regarding this hack? Do you believe people ONLY want it for piracy?

expy

Banned
LovingSteam said:
Perhaps people were waiting for full access to the system rather than just a little bit of access? What is your view regarding this hack? Do you believe people ONLY want it for piracy?
You still don't have full access. =p

PSGames

jcm said:
Homebrewers didnt have access to the gpu before which made it pretty much useless.

Now we should easily get powerful multimedia players (like xbmc), cool indie ps3 games and emulators.

Edit: now that I think about it we might even get a browser that's not gimped? I wonder how hard it would be to port webkit from Android?

Top Bottom