• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psi-Ops impressions... it's awesome!

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Just got my copy of the full game yesterday, so I've been playing it furiously, and I'm about 2 or 3 hours in so far. If you've played the demo of the game, or tried it out at E3, this might be a little redundant for you, so my apologies, as I haven't actually even played the game until last night.

Psi-Ops is a traditional third person shooter with a little twist; your character has some crazy psychic abilities, ranging from telekinesis to mind control to pryokinesis. You basically use your powers in conjunction with firearms to do away with the badguys on each level. You also use them to solve puzzles, of course.

The game reminds me a lot of The Suffering, only because both games seem to be on the same level graphically. It's nothing too impressive, but there are some glimmers that will impress you, like the funny rag doll physics and how just about everything around you can be manipulated.

A lot of times you will be using your powers to lay low and make some situations easier for you. There's a power called Remote Viewing which allows you to exit your body and walk around an entire area before you actually venture in, so you can observe guard patterns and where any explosive objects might be. The puzzles obviously take advantage of your powers too. During the first stage, I ran into a small room to off a scientist, only to have the glass door behind me slam down. Soon poison was filling the air, so I had to act quickly in order to get out. Well, I tried shooting the glass, but it wouldn't break, and then I noticed two guards outside watching me as I slowly died. So... I used telekinesis to grab one of them and started to slam him into the door to try to break it. Repeatedly. It started to crack, but no dice. I looked around and saw a bundle of iron rods on the ground, so I used TK to toss it through the door. That worked! It also killed the other guard who was watching me, heh.

The powers that I've gotten so far (Telekinesis, Remote Viewing, Mind Control, Mind Drain) come in really handy, and make the game a lot easier in terms of being able to conserve your energy and ammo. On the stage that I'm at right now, there are a ton of guards walking around, so instead of rushing in and risking my life, I used Mind Control to invade the mind of a guard, and then I used him to kill off every other guard with his sniper rifle before I walked off the roof of a building, killing my host.

The training sequences to introduce your psychic powers (you 'reawaken' them as you progress) are pretty cool. You actually go into the past, to your character's beginnings with the operative he was working for. I'm not very far in the game right now, but so far I've been enjoying it immensely. Maybe I'm just an asshole when I play games like this, but I'm finding A LOT of enjoyment just tossing guys left and right... off catwalks, off buildings, into explosives. The whole deal. It brings a smile to my face. This game deserves to be bought, and I'm glad that Midway is continuing to make some interesting and unique action games. Right now they're one of my favourite companies, largely because of titles like this, The Suffering, Mortal Kombat, and their fun sports line.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
This game doesnt come out till september in the UK :(

Im importing but still, thats a sucky effort by midway.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I'm buying this as soon as it's available here. I've yet to hear one bad impression. Everyone enjoys all the crazy things you can do with the Psi powers.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Musashi Wins! said:
I'm buying this as soon as it's available here. I've yet to hear one bad impression. Everyone enjoys all the crazy things you can do with the Psi powers.

Yup! Just about everything in the game is interactable with your psi powers... even dead corpses! I actually killed some guard, and then flung his lifeless body towards another guard, knocking him off a building! :D The game is damn impressive. The only thing I don't like is the vitality of the guards when you use telekinesis on them. If they strike any object while in flight, no matter how small it is, they'll die instantly... but you forcefully throw them against a wall, they can still survive. It's odd.

I have the OPM demo but I got a little frustrated because I kept getting shot up while I was trying to master my psi powers.

Based on all the positive impressions I'm hearing, I'll have to go back and give it another chance.

Top Bottom