• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSM reviews GTA: VCS

Kittonwy

Banned
snatches said:
9.5/10 Game of the Month

Verdict:

Vice City Stories may be the best PSP game we've ever played so far. It's got everything a GTA should have and more - and it's portable. All the upgrades make it leaps and bounds better than Liberty City Stories. if you have a PSP, you musst buy this game; if you don't have a PSP, get one just to play this game.

Lock if old but I did a search and didn't see it posted.

I can answer questions but I can't post the attachment I received as it is a US mag.

Awesome-wowsome. ~_~

Oblivion said:
Which GTA game is generally considered the one with the best soundtrack?

Vice City. No seriously the music is excellent, fits the gameplay perfectly.

btw you guys suck at threads, and quit bringing Saint's Row into this.

SuperEnemyCrab said:
How has my tuned changed at all? A lot of PSP games have bad load times. Thats a fact.

Just get rid of it then dude. Stop blabbing about games that have bad load times or games that don't appeal to you. From what you post you haven't played many games on PSP, so your opinions are a bit slighted.

This should be quite a laugh once it drops, now that I've got further into The World Is Yours its just made me realize how much variety and entertainment Rockstar pack into their missions.

Kittonwy

Banned
Methodis said:
Eh I perferred San Andreas because it had Hank WIlliam on it.

Hey good-lookin'
Wah chu gah cookin'
Howz bout cookin' sumthin up with me

KlintIndifference.gif

temp

posting on contract only
Oblivion said:
Seriously? I thought people didn't like 80's music...
80s music and atmosphere are mostly what people liked about Vice City. San Andreas is better pretty much every way else.

mysticstylez said:
Just get rid of it then dude. Stop blabbing about games that have bad load times or games that don't appeal to you. From what you post you haven't played many games on PSP, so your opinions are a bit slighted.

Yep. It would be like wanting to sell your Xbox and only having played Halo, Brute Force, and Blinx.

mysticstylez said:

Like I said, if GTA:VCS doesn't meet expectations I plan to. And just for the record here are all the PSP games ive played or seen played in person:

Hot Shots Golf
Star Wars Battlefront
GTA:LCS
Lumines
Untold Legends
Infected
Locoroco
Wipeout
Metal Gear Acid
Darkstalkers
Syphon Filter
Tekken
Y's

Alot of those games have load times that I find quite annoying for a handheld. It's a good system but just hasn't met my expectations after the great games I'm used to playing on sony's home consoles. Sorry I upset you so much, gaming chum.

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Like I said, if GTA:VCS doesn't meet expectations I plan to. And just for the record here are all the PSP games ive played or seen played in person:

Hot Shots Golf
Star Wars Battlefront
Lumines
Untold Legends
Infected
Locoroco
Wipeout
Metal Gear Acid
Darkstalkers
Syphon Filter
Tekken
Y's

Alot of those games have load times that I find quite annoying for a handheld. It's a good system but just hasn't met my expectations after the great games I'm used to playing on sony's home consoles. Sorry I upset you so much, gaming chum.

You didn't upset me...you just made stupid claims with nothing to back it up, until I called you on it.

I think your main problem is you set your expectations too high, come back down to earth my son.

Why are we even replying to guy with the screen name of "SuperEnemyCrab?" I doubt he likes anything Sony related.

SYPHON FILTER BITCH! BEST HANDHELD GAME EVER! or fck that one of the best action games of this year

mysticstylez said:
You didn't upset me...you just made stupid claims with nothing to back it up, until I called you on it.

I think your main problem is you set your expectations too high, come back down to earth my son.

Actually my claims are accurate, you are just being a butthurt fanboy over it.

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Actually my claims are accurate, you are just being a butthurt fanboy over it.

All I will say is that at first you only specified that you owned 3 games, and you blabbed that all psp is know for is 40$ games with bad load times.

Then when I called you on it, you clarified that you played more game, and so forth.

I know you are trying to justify reasons to get rid of your PSP. If you don't want it, just get rid of it. It's not hard to do at all. All you need to do is tell yourself "I can do this".

Thats the first step towards progress.

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Hot Shots Golf
Star Wars Battlefront
Lumines
Untold Legends
Infected
Locoroco
Wipeout
Metal Gear Acid
Darkstalkers
Syphon Filter
Tekken
Y's

Damn bitch get yourself a 1.50 downgrade and a big memory card and enjoy what these games really should be like. I thoroughly agree that the PSP as is is a wank piece of kit with abysmal load times and painful framerates but once that Memory Stick 333 Mhz lovin kicks in then its booya time.

The cost of a PSP is worth it for Wipeout Pure (MS/333 only, others need not apply).

mysticstylez said:
All I will say is that at first you only specified that you owned 3 games, and you blabbed that all psp is know for is 40$ games with bad load times.

Then when I called you on it, you clarified that you played more game, and so forth.

I know you are trying to justify reasons to get rid of your PSP. If you don't want it, just get rid of it. It's not hard to do at all. All you need to do is tell yourself "I can do this".

Thats the first step towards progress.

Well little fella if I really wanted to sell it I would have long ago. Vice city was my favorite GTA game though so i've held onto the thing in anticipation this game would be worth it.

You seem more concerned with trying to make me look anti-sony than actually understanding my position. Makes me think you must be a younger aged gamer, espeically after the little tantrum you've been throwing this whole topic over basically nothing.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
TheGreatDave said:
I'm bored with GTA in general. Very few games deserve a score like 9.5, and however good this is, it's essentially a rehash.
And 9.5 is certainly a very high score for a remix/rehash... I'm generally rather bored by this serious by now.

replicashooter said:
Damn bitch get yourself a 1.50 downgrade and a big memory card and enjoy what these games really should be like. I thoroughly agree that the PSP as is is a wank piece of kit with abysmal load times and painful framerates but once that Memory Stick 333 Mhz lovin kicks in then its booya time.

The cost of a PSP is worth it for Wipeout Pure (MS/333 only, others need not apply).

Listen to the man. Get yourself some 1.5* goodness.

*333mhz, iso-loading, SNES emulation, etc.

Oh, and I own four actual PSP UMDs, and GTA has, honestly, almost no loads. The gameplay is near-perfect as far as manageable loads are concerned. There's like 15-20 seconds of loads in the very beginning, and almost unnoticeable loads between missions. The actual gameplay is totally seamless and basically impossible to complain about.

Same goes for Daxter. Never had any problems. Burnout has, I guess, mildly annoying loads between races, but whatever. Not really sure about Syphon Filter, because I haven't played it much. Honestly, I've never had problems with loadtimes on the games considered good. If the load times bug you, your standards are too damn high. They're not bad. And if you find them an insurmountable obstacle towards enjoying your games, then, hey, do something about it. Play them off of your memory stick and increase the clock speed.

trancejeremy said:
Why is it every PSP thread turns into pirates bragging about their PSP firmware?

Yeah, uh, there's no bragging to it. It's just a matter of running one of the bajillion auto-installers, about 20 minutes of experimentation, and having a USB cable. And there are uses that aren't piracy. Homebrew, interface customization, applications for increased functionality (e.g. support of different video codecs, file browsing within the PSP itself, etc.)

And iso loading doesn't have to be piracy. I don't steal games. I buy the UMDs and run them off the memory card so they don't have load times, autoboot, etc.

And I can't imagine anyone actually has a problem with classic system emulation. Earthbound on the go is ace. Screw waiting for Nintendo to *bring it statesite.

*not

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
lol at the people that jumped on avalon it was only a joke...

anyway, i didnt like LCS that much. havent even finished it, but i loved VC so we'll see.

Bud said:
Is 'in the air tonight' by Phil Collins on the soundtrack??

I haven't seen that one. But Easy Lover is definitely in there. I'm not familiar enough with past soundtracks to know if Rockstar prefers to mix it up.

Oni Jazar

I love Phil but In The Air Tonight is overplayed. Easy Lover is a great choice. Hopefully they'll throw another one of his. Groovy Kind of Love or Take Me Home.

TheGrue

The Abominable Snowman said:
If load times, as brief as they are, are the main reason for you not liking a system, why upgrade from the N64?

portable system=quick gameplay=I care about load times
home console=extended sessions=I don't care about load times (well, as much)

bud

Oni Jazar said:
I love Phil but In The Air Tonight is overplayed. Easy Lover is a great choice. Hopefully they'll throw another one of his. Groovy Kind of Love or Take Me Home.

Watch the Miami Vice pilot episode and you'll see how essential it is.

TheGrue

Methodis said:
I also don't understand this "loading" bullcrap either. Do people NOT know the PSP has a sleep function? Turn the game on in the morning, get the initial load in and there you go, no loads.

I use the sleep mode exclusively. That doesn't keep it from taking 3-4 seconds to pull up the menu when I hit start in a game or 30+ seconds of loading between levels. I know there are plenty of games that have better loading times than others, but none of them are as quick as cartidge-based portable gaming. Of course, the cartridge means the graphics aren't as good, but I go for gameplay over graphics anyway, so not as much as an issue for me.

When I bought the PSP and heard about the load times, I saw people complaining about them and though that it wouldn't bother me. I actually feel a little shallow that it does. But, I can't escape the fact that I am bothered by it and every time I look at the PSP sitting next to my DS, I just tend to pick the DS up way more and a great deal of it is because I don't apparently have the patience to wait. Stupid, I know, but true.

Sonki.

Banned
Derps said:
After playing Saint's Row I don't think I can go back to GTA.

It's true... I bought my copy of Liberty City Stories after I got Saint's Row.. and I HONESTLY could not play it. It felt so rubbish..and the controls sucked for obvious reasons.

But it's always so tempting to get this game.

ram said:
damn - for a second, i thought it was a real EXODUS song. but it isnt thrash metal, its just disco music.

:( :( :(

That would have f'n rocked!

after playing Scarface: The World Is Yours, I can`t go back to GTA normally anymore

I loved LCS on PSP, but I've always been favorably biased towards Liberty City from GTAIII as my favorite GTA city... I don`t see the same love from flat-ville Vice City that as a city to itself is pretty flat and bland. The missions, assests missions and comedy of the first Vice City is what made Vice City great.

remove any asset missions like the Malibu Club bank robbing recruitment missions, then Vice City would be average

Kittonwy

Banned
Aristotlekh said:
Listen to the man. Get yourself some 1.5* goodness.

*333mhz, iso-loading, SNES emulation, etc.

Oh, and I own four actual PSP UMDs, and GTA has, honestly, almost no loads. The gameplay is near-perfect as far as manageable loads are concerned. There's like 15-20 seconds of loads in the very beginning, and almost unnoticeable loads between missions. The actual gameplay is totally seamless and basically impossible to complain about.

Same goes for Daxter. Never had any problems. Burnout has, I guess, mildly annoying loads between races, but whatever. Not really sure about Syphon Filter, because I haven't played it much. Honestly, I've never had problems with loadtimes on the games considered good. If the load times bug you, your standards are too damn high. They're not bad. And if you find them an insurmountable obstacle towards enjoying your games, then, hey, do something about it. Play them off of your memory stick and increase the clock speed.

Daxter is just about as seamless as a handheld game can get, I'm surprised they pull something like that off on a handheld, it's one of the best platformers out there, consoles included.

Insane stunt jumps
The old favourite returns, with PSP's new Vice City locations given the stunt treatment so that almost any incline you spot can lead to a glorious slo-mo leap. Plus, with the addition of the nippy jet-skis, Vice City Stories offers high-speed water hijinks - including a dramatic series of bounding jumps launching you all over the city's plush golf course.

Beach patrol
Head to Washington Beach for some Baywatch-inspired challenges that see you saving lives instead of ending them. Use your swimming skills to wade out and rescue hapless beach-goers who find themselves caught in dangerous waters, with the added bonus that continued wet work permanently boosts Vic's stamina.

http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/psp/ga...44&sectionId=1003&pageId=20061013124946921021

GTAPSP_4--screenshot_viewer_medium.jpg

VCS01--screenshot_viewer_medium.jpg

VCS02--screenshot_viewer_medium.jpg

VCS03--screenshot_viewer_medium.jpg

TheGrue

Kittonwy said:
Daxter is just about as seamless as a handheld game can get, I'm surprised they pull something like that off on a handheld, it's one of the best platformers out there, consoles included.

They mask the load time there by having it take time for the door to open so you can go to the next area. Still, I do agree even that amount of time is very small and is one of the best PSP games for that. It is a PSP game I bought and completed and in addition to the great gameplay, the masking of the load times and the fact that they were small also added to my enjoyment.

Top Bottom