• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSM reviews GTA: VCS

Ranger X

SolidSnakex said:
Playing the GTA clones makes me want it even more actually. They remind me of just how much fun an open ended game can be.

Exactly what i was about to say. Playing Saint's Row and vomiting on Just Cause makes me DROOL for VCS.
I'm starting to believe in Rockstar's talent as NOBODY yet succeeded at making a game on par or better than GTA. I'm also wondering what's so tuff and what other devs don't get when they try at GTA style, it doesn't appear all that hard to me!

Ranger X said:
Exactly what i was about to say. Playing Saint's Row and vomiting on Just Cause makes me DROOL for VCS.
I'm starting to believe in Rockstar's talent as NOBODY yet succeeded at making a game on par or better than GTA. I'm also wondering what's so tuff and what other devs don't get when they try at GTA style, it doesn't appear all that hard to me!

Especially when the GTA series has had the same outstanding flaws every time.

But the games still work because no one else has been able to bring the same authenticity and actual humor to the genre. Seems like everyone tries to 1-up GTA buy turning the "Additude" knob to 11. Needless to say this strategy fails miserably.

Methodis

Banned
Yeah Saints Row is the PERFECT example of trying to put a EXTREME ATTITUDE LOLOL story to a game and failing badly. The game is 100% dick and fart jokes and each one of them bombs horribly. Worst game storyline ever.

Which means, i'm excited as ever for GTA:VCS. The reason why I like GTA's so much is the story is funny and actually relevant and has some kind of meaning to it.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
how are the controls different from LCS? Can you duck/crouch?

Ranger X

sugarhigh4242 said:
Especially when the GTA series has had the same outstanding flaws every time.

But the games still work because no one else has been able to bring the same authenticity and actual humor to the genre. Seems like everyone tries to 1-up GTA buy turning the "Additude" knob to 11. Needless to say this strategy fails miserably.

So. Agreed.
The "next-level GTA" in my head is so nice and so well done (correcting GTA's flaws for a change) that i wonder if those making GTA clones ever played a GTA...

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Methodis said:
Yeah Saints Row is the PERFECT example of trying to put a EXTREME ATTITUDE LOLOL story to a game and failing badly. The game is 100% dick and fart jokes and each one of them bombs horribly. Worst game storyline ever.

Congratulations on not playing much of Saints Row. Theres barely any jokes in the storyline.

This isnt a SR thread so i'll just make my point to the clearly uninformed amongst you then shut up about it.

Saints Row does a few things GTA4 would do well to rip-off, namely:

-Proper structure to the sidemissions, giving you lots to do without making you search high and low for the right to do it.

-Activites like Mayhem and Insurance Fraud that tap perfectly into whats fun about these games and reward you for it, more shit like this, less shit like driving a taxi

-The simple fact that you can always go to any part of the map and not get shot without starting something

-Customising all the makes of car

-Universal garage, that stores 50 cars (i think its fifty)

-SAVE ANYWHERE

And thats ignoring all the 'next gen' stuff; graphics, physics and AI (The last two are especially important, the AI allies in SR are actually useful) where upgrades are a given. And the stuff like Gang warfare that is copied and better, but still not that great.

SR is by no means perfect, but you guys saying GTA still hasnt been copied well are kidding yourselves, Saints Row is very much the real deal on that score.

Ranger X said:

Yep, games are always able to do something better than GTA, but they don't know how to complete the full package. GTA has created its own style and it doesn't work when others try to their best to take it. Ofcourse it doesn't mean those games can't be good because most of them are, they just aren't as good as GTA. This is Rockstars genre and they know it.

Ranger X

SolidSnakex said:
Yep, games are always able to do something better than GTA, but they don't know how to complete the full package. GTA has created its own style and it doesn't work when others try to their best to take it. Ofcourse it doesn't mean those games can't be good because most of them are, they just aren't as good as GTA. This is Rockstars genre and they know it.

Kudos to Saint's Row guys as they pulled out the best GTA style game since GTA.
I state this game as a "good game". I'm just waiting for a "great" clone see.

sub 15 hour story mode

Damn that sucks. I was hoping for a longer game than that. It'd be easier to swallow if the side missions were better. I still may buy it, but I'm bummed that its that short of a story mode.

Amir0x

Banned
SuperEnemyCrab said:
This game is the last chance I'm giving the PSP. If it does not live up to expectations I'm selling the damn thing once and for all.

Awesome. I hope you use the money you get from selling it to find people who give a ****.

Ranger X said:
Kudos to Saint's Row guys as they pulled out the best GTA style game since GTA.
I state this game as a "good game". I'm just waiting for a "great" clone see.

I think one of SR's biggest failures was its soundtrack which is horrible in comparison to what Rockstar does with their soundtracks. That's a big part of any GTA style game so getting it right is very important to the overall feel of the game.

Oni Jazar

mysticstylez said:
sub 15 hour story mode

Damn that sucks. I was hoping for a longer game than that. It'd be easier to swallow if the side missions were better. I still may buy it, but I'm bummed that its that short of a story mode.

Yea that sounds suspect. LCS was like 30 hours.

Oni Jazar said:
Yea that sounds suspect. LCS was like 30 hours.

If you just went and played straight through the story missions and that's it you could probably beat any GTA other than SA in a somewhat short amount of time.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Ghost said:
SR is by no means perfect, but you guys saying GTA still hasnt been copied well are kidding yourselves, Saints Row is very much the real deal on that score.

I didn't like Saints Row very much, and I was looking forward to it. I've never understood people that sweat "save anywhere." With this sort of game, I like how GTA ties the save points to the concept of a safehouse. And your point about side missions being easy to find, that's something I like about GTA, it was so cool hearing a pay phone ringing in the distance for the first time.

Ranger X

SolidSnakex said:
I think one of SR's biggest failures was its soundtrack which is horrible in comparison to what Rockstar does with their soundtracks. That's a big part of any GTA style game so getting it right is very important to the overall feel of the game.

What ruined it for me is that wanabee feeling i got with characters and scenario + bad car physics + takes forever to total the car + AI on "manual" aiming.

sugarhigh4242 said:
what PSP games do you currently own?

Hot shots golf, Star Wars Battlefront and GTA:LCS

I want more games but am unwilling to pay $40 for portable games with atrocious load times. I loved my PSP at first but it's been months since i've played or used it at all really. UGnG would be cool, but I won't pay more than $30 for it. Other than that Capcom puzzle collection is the only other game that I'm interested in. It's to big to be a decent MP3 player, and I don't really have a need to watch movies/tv shows on the go so I'm thinking I should just sell it while they are still worth something and put the money towards all the Xbox 360 games I want this holiday.

temp

posting on contract only
SolidSnakex said:
Wiki has some more soundtrack details

* Dio - Holy Diver
* Ratt - Round and Round
* Dokken - Breaking the Chains
* The Human League - Love Action (I Believe in Love)
* Yazoo - Don't Go
* Japan - Quiet Life
* Exodus - Together Forever
* Phreek - Weekend (Tonight is Party Time)
* Sister Sledge - Lost in Music
* Missing Persons - Destination Unknown
* Alan Parsons Project - Games People Play
* Pat Benatar - Love is a Battlefield
* Giuffria - Call To Your Heart
* The Assembly - Never Never
* Pat Benatar - We Belong
All these songs are awesome!

SuperEnemyCrab said:

I want more games but am unwilling to pay $40 for portable games with atrocious load times. I loved my PSP at first but it's been months since i've played or used it at all really. UGnG would be cool, but I won't pay more than $30 for it. Other than that Capcom puzzle collection is the only other game that I'm interested in. It's to big to be a decent MP3 player, and I don't really have a need to watch movies/tv shows on the go so I'm thinking I should just sell it while they are still worth something and put the money towards all the Xbox 360 games I want this holiday.

You guys need to stop with this crap, not all psp games have atrocious load times, you are just looking for reasons to justify selling it.

Matix

SuperEnemyCrab said:

Awhile back I would chewed you down for the above, but as of now... whatever.

TheGrue

mysticstylez said:
You guys need to stop with this crap, not all psp games have atrocious load times, you are just looking for reasons to justify selling it.

They all have more load time than the DS, though. This is why I tend to play it more than my PSP, which sucks because I really want to like it. Still, there are some games, such as GTA:VCS and MGPO that are making me interested in it again. I just really want original PSP games and not ports. We are finally starting to get more of those than we have in the past and so I think I will play it more soon.

Dizzy

Banned
threeball said:
I agree with dark, people always get onto Nintendo for rehashing and abusing their franchises, but it seems as if a new GTA comes out every single year. And it seems like this GTA is really no different than the other GTAs.
It's definitely the other way around, people get on at Rockstar all the time for rehashing so in retalliation people complain about Nintendo.

On topic, this is another interesting game for PSP. I want one for MGS: PO but I can't justify the purchase of a PSP for myself. Hopefully Sony drops the price soon. If not I might just have to buy one anyway :(

Im actually looking for a reason to keep it.....

And the load times in 2 of the 3 games I own are quite bad, especially in Battlefront. I still haven't given up on it like most people, but I am right on the edge. I also have never really gotten used to the analog nub controls. I am a big guy, with big hands and I find my thumb constantly slipping off. I played other PSP games at a friends like Wipeout and Syphon Filter but didn't find them especially compelling.

I guess I'm not into portable gaming as much as I used to be.

SuperEnemyCrab said:

And the load times in 2 of the 3 games I own are quite bad, especially in Battlefront. I still haven't given up on it like most people, but I am right on the edge. I also have never really gotten used to the analog nub controls. I am a big guy, with big hands and I find my thumb constantly slipping off. I played other PSP games at a friends like Wipeout and Syphon Filter but didn't find them especially compelling.

So because 2 games you own have bad load times, all games for psp have bad load times.

Ever play smackdown on the PSP? That game is nothing but one big load time. 80% of the games i've played or seen played have extreme load times. they are all from different developers so it seems to me a fair assessment that its not an isolated issue, esepcially when most reviews on PSP games mention load times as a problem.

Ranger X

SuperEnemyCrab said:

Try playing games that aren't "console style". It might give another life to your purchase.
Personally, i own a DS and a PSP to play any games that are different.

Did you care to try:

- PQ Practical Intelligence Test
- Exit
- Lemmings
- Megaman Powered up
- Daxter
- Locoroco

Those are my personal library (i also own UGNG) and those are actually changing my mind from PS2/GC/Xbox games making my PSP all worth it.
Also to note i don't give a shite about multimedia PSP features -- i never use them.

DiscoJason said:
They all have more load time than the DS, though. This is why I tend to play it more than my PSP, which sucks because I really want to like it.
If load times, as brief as they are, are the main reason for you not liking a system, why upgrade from the N64?

SuperEnemyCrab said:

You're hardly getting a crossection of the best PSP has to offer.

My experience is that PSP games take longer than i'd like to boot up with credit screens and stuff, but loading between levels and stuff is fine. And once the game is started, you can just use the sleep function anyway.

You should pick up some of the early games that can be had for $20. Check out Wipeout Pure, check out Virtua Tennis. Hell, even Mercury is worth $15-$20 easily.

Although, i think the newer games are where the system really shines. If you're unwilling to pay $30-$40 for good games, there's enough older cheap games to keep you busy for a while.

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Ever play smackdown on the PSP? That game is nothing but one big load time. 80% of the games i've played or seen played have extreme load times. they are all from different developers so it seems to me a fair assessment that its not an isolated issue, esepcially when most reviews on PSP games mention load times as a problem.

Yeah, Smackdown and Midnight Club are two exceptions. They hardly compare to the majority of games.

Ranger X said:
Try playing games that aren't "console style". It might give another life to your purchase.
Personally, i own a DS and a PSP to play any games that are different.

Did you care to try:

- PQ Practical Intelligence Test
- Exit
- Lemmings
- Megaman Powered up
- Daxter
- Locoroco

Those are my personal library (i also own UGNG) and those are actually changing my mind from PS2/GC/Xbox games making my PSP all worth it.
Also to note i don't give a shite about multimedia PSP features -- i never use them.

I would be interested to try out Daxter. I played the demo of Locoroco and enjoyed it but it seemed a little shallow to pay anything more than $20 for. Lemmings is cool but I have that on PC and played it to death as a kid already. I don't care for megaman games and haven't heard of the others. I also have played infected and untold legends.

I was really interested in the EA replay compilation till I found out they are using the SNES versions of syndicate and ultima 7. I still might pick it up for Road Rash and the Strike games, and at least its afforably priced.

If Sony would lower the overall price of software by $10 or so I would buy a lot more games for it. Right now I just have a hard time justifying the price VS content.

SuperEnemyCrab said:

Yeah I've played Smackdown.

Have you played.

Ridge Racer
Lumines
Gripshift
Syphon Filter
Daxter
Mega Man Powered Up
Need For Speed:Most Wanted 510
Tekken: DR
GTA: LCS
Loco Roco
Tiger Woods 2006
Field Commander
HSG: Fore
Lemmings
Burnout Legends
Metal Gear Acid 2

I can go on for more...

All these games are above average quality,and have acceptable load times.

Methodis

Banned
Ghost said:
Congratulations on not playing much of Saints Row. Theres barely any jokes in the storyline.

Good job not reading my post and learning that my main problem was with Saint's Row's ridiculous dick joke story. "barely any jokes" sir have YOU played the game? The last damn cutscene has a dick joke. The last three cutscenes before the last one has a dick joke "I'm going to skull f(ck her" 'hope you don't mind hepatitis'

This leads me to believe you haven't played the game. If you need proof that I did, look up my gamertag it's Methodis.

mysticstylez said:
Yeah I've played Smackdown.

Have you played.

Ridge Racer
Lumines
Gripshift
Syphon Filter
Daxter
Mega Man Powered Up
Need For Speed:Most Wanted 510
Tekken: DR
GTA: LCS
Loco Roco
Tiger Woods 2006
Field Commander
HSG: Fore
Lemmings
Burnout Legends
Metal Gear Acid 2

I can go on for more...

All these games are above average quality,and have acceptable load times.

If you'd bother to actually read my posts instead of damage controlling the PSP you'd know I've played or even own some of those games. Others don't appeal to me, like Tekken, or Metal Gear acid or they are just plain to expensive for games I will only spend maybe 10 hours a month playing.

Methodis

Banned
I also don't understand this "loading" bullcrap either. Do people NOT know the PSP has a sleep function? Turn the game on in the morning, get the initial load in and there you go, no loads.

SuperEnemyCrab said:
If you'd bother to actually read my posts instead of damage controlling the PSP you'd know I've played or even own some of those games. Others don't appeal to me, like Tekken, or Metal Gear acid or they are just plain to expensive for games I will only spend maybe 10 hours a month playing.

Well when you start off by saying "2 out of the 3 games I own", and then go into complaining about load times, what do you expect.

You shouldn't be changing your tune everytime I post something.

Top Bottom