• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psn Account hijacked! (Update: 6 months later, a winner is you!)

hodgy100

I won't be able to post an update till tomorrow as Sony's customer support is closed on Sundays. I will post updates though.

ExVicis

Uh oh. All I did recently was change my password, no charges on my card yet but now I'm worried. Anything else one can do to avoid getting account hijacked?

FeiRR

Banned
Anything else one can do to avoid getting account hijacked?

Set a strong, exclusive password for important accounts and never share it anywhere. Also don't write it down online, keep your devices clean of trojans, don't share it with anybody, be cautious and wary... Well, it's a lot of perils in the digital world.

Be poor and have no money so nobody can steal it from you :D

This just recently happened to a friend of mine too. Customer service was eventually able to get him the account back, but in spite of him being a PSN customer for something like 5 years with no incidents they refused to refund his money. He was not happy, and decided to buy an Xbox One for his future game purchases.

In the long run they'll probably lose more money from licensing fees on the games he's now buying on Xbox, and the ones I might have bought too to play co-op with him.

Yagharek

OP, good luck. Assuming you've spent much more on psn over several years, there is the risk you could be in line for a big loss if Sony ban your psn account.

Dont do a chargeback (yet). According to distance selling regulations in the UK you should get this refunded quickly, but it is possible according to past threads like this that you will get no help from Sony, they could also ban your account permanently.

If this happens, go through all your credit card statements back to when you first joined psn and challenge every single psn transaction if Sony steals your games.

Quotient

If you use a credit card you are protected by your bank. You need to fill a claim that you didn't authorize those purchases.

You also need to figure out how your account was comprised. Did someone break into your email account associated with Psn?

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
when I pre-ordered GTA5 I had money already put into my acc then I seen I was charged twice for it spoke to Sony they said its happened a few times so ill find out next day or 2 whether I get my other $89 bucks back I really hope they just put it back on my card & not the PSN acc as I need it lol

saunderez

He was not happy, and decided to buy an Xbox One for his future game purchases.
I'm sure he feels great for getting revenge or whatever but Microsoft is going to do exactly the same thing if his gamertag gets hacked. I hope he's using a more secure password than he was on PSN.

Sez

If you use a credit card you are protected by your bank. You need to fill a claim that you didn't authorize those purchases.

But if you do this you will get tour PSN account banned, this is worst.

I use a "rechargable" visa credit card, i put the exact money im going to spend 5 minutes before and it always work and I sleep without worries.

JP

Nobody should really be leaving their card details online with a retailer even if that retailer uses two step authentication. Two step authentication doesn't prevent stuff like this, it only hinders the people who want to do it. Even when companies do what they are required to do legally and more on top of that to protect your details there's still no such thing as a wholly secure network.

Although I'm not suggesting that it hasn't happened here the responsibility must primarily lie with the owner of the important information to secure it, there's far more that we can do as individuals to minimise the risk than anything retailers are able to do.

In general we've become far too soft when it comes to our online security and we need to realise that if we can access our information online then it's also accessible to other people with inclination and proficiency to access it. Two step authentication would hopefully be enough to dissuade the vast majority of people but it still doesn't guarantee total security for the information that we store online.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm sure he feels great for getting revenge or whatever but Microsoft is going to do exactly the same thing if his gamertag gets hacked. I hope he's using a more secure password than he was on PSN.

At least Microsoft uses two pass auth

You also need to figure out how your account was comprised. Did someone break into your email account associated with Psn?

No. Contact Sony support first to report the fraud. They should refund you. Don't initiate a charge back unless Sony won't help. Even if someone has gained access to your PSN account they can't actually see your card details for use elsewhere so you should not need to cancel the card either. Remove the payment details from PSN if you wish, but more importantly use a unique password for every service and make sure your email account is secure with two factor auth and a very strong password.

saunderez

True, but if you use your email address for the confirmation and a similarly poor password it's as about as effective as not having it at all. At the end of the day password complexity and diversity is king.

Can you take your card information off by using the website or do I have to go on my PS4? Time to remove this and protect myself.

Tizoc

^Go to
SonyEntertainmentNetwork.com
Log in and try to remove it from there, least that's how I told my brother to do it.

There is a reason why psn cards are always at the top of the amazon best sellers list.

No one trust Sony with thier credit cards.

You can say that about any online service :p
I remove my CC details and don't save them on Apple, Steam, etc.
Lately i'VE Been using Paypal or Amazon for my payments, especially after a fraud transaction on my CC months ago, and I find those 2 to be safer.

^Go to
SonyEntertainmentNetwork.com
Log in and try to remove it from there, least that's how I told my brother to do it.

You can say that about any online service :p
I remove my CC details and don't save them on Apple, Steam, etc.
Lately i'VE Been using Paypal or Amazon for my payments, especially after a fraud transaction on my CC months ago, and I find those 2 to be safer.
I could of sworn I heard bad things about Paypal customer support. I trust Amazon with my life though.

Just removed my info, the convenience of having my CC info there so I can buy things with few clicks isn't worth the risk.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
True, but if you use your email address for the confirmation and a similarly poor password it's as about as effective as not having it at all. At the end of the day password complexity and diversity is king.

I use Google Authenticator and my email address is under two-pass

Zoe

Always PSN cards.

Unless you're only buying PSN cards and loading them as needed, they are the easiest way to lose your money. You have zero protection.

Buying with a credit card through the hardware is safe. You always have to verify your information when you hop to a new system.

The weak link appears to be the web store from what I can tell.

Om3ga

I remember I thought my Xbox live account was hacked because nobody was suppose to be home, let alone using my Xbox. The games purchased weren't even on my xbox. Turns out my sister came over and my nephew was the one who made the purchases.

Not sure if you might be in a similar situation here, might have even had your account info stored in your browser. If I were you I'd start changing your passwords. Best of luck getting your account back. You'll get your money back from your bank, but Sony might not be happy to give you back an account that has £500 refunded to it.

saunderez

I use Google Authenticator and my email address is under two-pass

So do I, I was just highlighting how two factor isn't automatically a foolproof method of protecting your account. Confirmation via email is convenient but if your email isn't protected by a more secure method it's pretty much useless as a secondary form of authentication.

Then don't use your credit card at stores.. certainly don't hand them over to waiters/waitresses.

Don't put your DEBIT CARD into anything.

Credit cards offer protections... use them without much worry, just monitor your transactions.

Debit cards offer the same protections.

Unless you're only buying PSN cards and loading them as needed, they are the easiest way to lose your money. You have zero protection.

Buying with a credit card through the hardware is safe. You always have to verify your information when you hop to a new system.

The weak link appears to be the web store from what I can tell.

I don't think you're fully understanding the problem. The biggest problem is if you buy with your debit/credit card and use their protections (aka chargebacks), Sony will ban your account. That won't happen if you just use cards to buy things. With the added bonus of without a credit card attached, they can only buy as much as you have in your account. And you don't have to always input your cards the moment you get them, you can just add them as you are purchasing (not to mention that you can buy PSN codes electronically and have them in 10-20 minutes without leaving your house).

Zoe

I don't think you're fully understanding the problem. The biggest problem is if you buy with your debit/credit card and use their protections (aka chargebacks), Sony will ban your account. That won't happen if you just use cards to buy things. With the added bonus of without a credit card attached, they can only buy as much as you have in your account. And you don't have to always input your cards the moment you get them, you can just add them as you are purchasing (not to mention that you can buy PSN codes electronically and have them in 10-20 minutes without leaving your house).

The problem is there have been people, even on this very forum, who load up their gaming systems with points and credits, and then they lose hundreds when their accounts get hijacked.

saunderez

The problem is there have been people, even on this very forum, who load up their gaming systems with points and credits, and then they lose hundreds when their accounts get hijacked.

You can't really load up a PSN account that much anyway. $100 seems to be the limit. It wouldn't let me add more than $100 to my wallet when I was trying to purchase 2 $60 games.

Well, to be fair your Xbox Live account is also your Hotmail account, your OneDrive account, your Office 365 account, your Azure account, your MSDN account and even the local account on your Windows 8 PC. They have a lot more to protect.

malfcn

Does PSN have an activity log?

MS lets you trace activity.
The last weird one I had was on 11/8 with a chrome login from 166.170.26.193 in Texas.

I don't use chrome, and wasn't in Texas during that time so changed my password right away. Luckily nothing was spent or changed that I can tell.

Scary times with all the hacking.
I'll have to keep an eye on my PSN too.

hodgy100

OK so quick update. I called so by psn support this morning and they were actually rather helpful. They just wanted me to send an image of some photo I'd to prove my identity so they gave me an email and a reference number and 15 mins after I sent the email they got back to me reverted my sign in I'd and sent a password reset email. So I now have my account back! When on the phone they also said Sony billing will be in contact soon to sort out refunds. Though I suspect they will have to give me a reference number to pass onto my banks fraud team as I've already cancelled my card.

So, its all positive so far.

pottuvoi

Banned
Never use same password in PSN as you do in any other services.
Basically any service that has you CC should have different PW from the one you use commonly.

jimi_dini

No I dont.

Not yet :p

EDIT: I'd love it if I could have a banking app that forces manual authentication of all online transactions. Even if it just flags up a notification to enter in my pin along with display saying who is making the charge and how much its for. That would be great.

I have to wonder, but why doesn't PSN simply ask for the security code of the creditcard on every purchase?

I really like how this was done on Wii U. The creditcard information is saved ON THE CONSOLE itself under the user account (and even that's totally optional) and it's also protected by a 4-8 digit PIN code. Something like this simply isn't possible on Wii U (even if one could simply log in and take over the account from another console/PC, the requirement of having to call Nintendo for changing the console has some positives)

panda-zebra

You can set a security question to be used when you want to change or reset your password. I know that doesn't prevent someone making purchases, but it helps stop you getting locked out if your account is compromised.

mocoworm

OK so quick update. I called so by psn support this morning and they were actually rather helpful. They just wanted me to send an image of some photo I'd to prove my identity so they gave me an email and a reference number and 15 mins after I sent the email they got back to me reverted my sign in I'd and sent a password reset email. So I now have my account back! When on the phone they also said Sony billing will be in contact soon to sort out refunds. Though I suspect they will have to give me a reference number to pass onto my banks fraud team as I've already cancelled my card.

So, its all positive so far.

Great news. After hearing SONY customer service horror stories all the time on GAF I wasn't hopeful for your case, but this sounds really positive.

hodgy100

You can set a security question to be used when you want to change or reset your password. I know that doesn't prevent someone making purchases, but it helps stop you getting locked out if your account is compromised.

Its no good if they change your sign in email though, you can't even get to the security question page then :p

I had this happen a few weeks ago - all of a sudden ALL of my PSN friendslist was deleted.

Fortunately all they purchased was Hulu Plus (Because the bank card I have linked is almost always at less than $30 or so balance)

it sucks because i don't have all those friends anymore, but i changed passwords and removed my card information.

I guess people log on using your information and then download all your games for their own console? When i checked online it said i had 11 devices registered and i know i have never had that many PS4, PS3, Vita, and PSP systems.. more like 5-6.

J4g3r

Pretty sure PSN is the only service I use now that doesn't have 2 step verification.

They really should get on that.

p3tran

Banned
so, I bought one of those scratch cards for another year of psn+, thinking that I will REMOVE my CC information from within ps4.

well, I cant remove my cc!

for some reason, when I try to get into settings->psn->account information->wallet, I can go up to that point no problem, but choosing "BILLING INFORMATION" always brings up the infinite wait bars.
no difference if I wait one minute or fifteen minutes, it simply does not proceed from there.

any tips guys?

Top Bottom