• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN, Battlenet, Riot, and others DDOSed; PSN returning lightly toasted with butter

MedIC86

Maybe someone more educated can explain to me, but isnt it doable for big companies to defend themselves against DDOS, like something if you get a request from the same ip again within so much second just block it for a minute or something (even if they switch around ips). I can imagine there are ways to do this?

I mean a targeted hack is something else, but a DDOS seems quiet basic in what it is in essence.

spirity

Guys I can confirm that PC gamers in collaboration with Microsoft, Masons and the Reptilians did this because we were salty about a poll on GAF. Sorry, but you brought this on yourselves.

What is this poll I keep hearing about? Haven't been on Gaf much this week.

Omiee

i tried to logon the website store and it said welcome and than my email. i never used to get that. after that the screen did nothing and stayed on the welcome screen.

is this just a ddos attack or more?

Maybe someone more educated can explain to me, but isnt it doable for big companies to defend themselves against DDOS, like something if you get a request from the same ip again within so much second just block it for a minute or something (even if they switch around ips). I can imagine there are ways to do this?

I mean a targeted hack is something else, but a DDOS seems quiet basic in what it is in essence.

It's difficult to do without altering your network in a way that would deny standard access to large swaths of users.

See: PSO2 incident.

Guys enough with the "XBOTS DID IT"... its more likely that since the US Govt uses MS's infrastructure for some things, the hackers are a bit too scared to go after them. Im pretty sure they dont want the feds stepping in, because then they WILL be caught

This has nothing to do with it. The Government has gotten DDOS as well. It's a server overload, nothing more nothing less.

Mr Moose

Guys I can confirm that PC gamers in collaboration with Microsoft, Masons and the Reptilians did this because we were salty about a poll on GAF. Sorry, but you brought this on yourselves.

They call themselves Lizard Squad, so this seems legit.

Also, what poll? lol.

spirity

so blizzard are getting attacked as well?

Who else?

PoE, LoL, Runescape, NCSoft (GW2), Eve Online, Hearthstone, handful of others over the past few days, if that Twitter account is to be believed. Seems to be really focusing on Sony right now, I'm assuming its presenting a challenge.

hohoXD123

Always online requirements keep making more and more sense...

Seems so

Jesus always the Juniors with these ridiculous post. Do you even know what a Ddos is?
You'd think a mighty member such as yourself would know that junior bashing is frowned upon around these parts.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Maybe the guy that did it also post this ad on GAF, hahaha.

Clipboard01.jpg

Serviam

This really sucks. I am with my company in Holland (live in Sweden) and have 5 hours to kill until the plane back home. Brought my Vita and was going to play some Diablo3 with some friends with remote play. Fuck these kids for ruining my perfect hangover plan. Back to drinking beer I guess :(

Is your account set as primary or are you sharing it with someone ?
Primary. I turn on my ps4, select my account and then it never actually goes through. I had to hard reset my ps4 twice already(white light kept blinking once I turned it off the normal way), don't want to fuck it up so I'm hoping somebody can help me out so I don't fuck up my ps4 by trying to play my games offline

Always online requirements keep making more and more sense...

You'd think a mighty member such as yourself would know that junior bashing is frowned upon around these parts.

You'd think. If I were him I'd hope Bish doesn't notice, or else he may find himself with an unfavorable tag like I did for almost a year.

On topic: I'm unable to sign into EA's server for Madden 15 this morning as well. Probably just a side effect of PSN being wonky and not EA itself.

Theecliff

Banned
Why to which part?

If to the losing money, I edited above.

If to Runescape as a way of saying "no one plays that". That isn't the case, the game is very much alive, has more frequent content patches than any other MMO and makes more money now that it ever has in the past. It's also on the first page of Twitch streamers consistently and the added "benefit" of people losing a lot of money would entice these idiots.
No, I mean't why as in why are they DDoS-ing all this shit. It's stupid.

Alucrid

Banned
Primary. I turn on my ps4, select my account and then it never actually goes through. I had to hard reset my ps4 twice already(white light kept blinking once I turned it off the normal way), don't want to fuck it up so I'm hoping somebody can help me out so I don't fuck up my ps4 by trying to play my games offline

either wait a bit longer or turn off your router, log in and turn off your network connection

Your best bet right now would probably be to disable any and all internet access, you may have to turn off the router temporarily if it's auto connecting instantly and causing issues, but then you can disable all internet access. You shouldn't have any problems from the confused servers then.

njean777

I question why they would want to attack these services. I mean I don't mind hackers, or their ilk, but why attack gaming services and not actual things that could be of help to people? Uncover corruption or something, do not attack gaming services.

Dante316

Ehh, im hoping it doesn't fuck up the pre - loading of madden too much. 48 hours to download about 16 gigs is alot of time but damm thing needs to start.

I have been on Netflix since last night and still watching right now as we speak. Not sure if I have been affected per se, but I'm not going to log out and back in to test it.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Reposting for new pages:

So it's possible other people might have issues but this should work for most people.

1. Before turning on PS4 unplug it from the router or turn off the router if it's connected via wifi and then you should be able to log in fine.

2. Then go to settings > network > uncheck "connect to the internet" and everything should work fine after that. Well anything that doesn't actually need to be online anyway.

I question why they would want to attack these services. I mean I don't mind hackers, or their ilk, but why attack gaming services and not actual things that could be of help to people? Uncover corruption or something, do not attack gaming services.

Probably because gaming sites won't get them assassinated.

Gekidami

Banned
I have been on Netflix since last night and still watching right now as we speak. Not sure if I have been affected per se, but I'm not going to log out and back in to test it.
Normally stuff that doesnt use the PSN should still work (such as Netflix). Back when the PS3 PSN outage happened, you could still use stuff like that, browse the internet & patch games, because they didnt actually need Sony's service to run.

Wow.
Just now reading up on the scope of these attacks.
I'm seeing, Path of Exile, RuneScape, Riot/LoL, Blizzard/Battle.net, NCW/Guild Wars 2 also got hit. These guys must hate fun or something.

Sounds like hardcore Xbox fans are angry. Can't see any other motivation for such an attack. It's sad, whatever their reasons are.

Wow, I hadn't even thought of this! Amazing powers of deduction and reduction! I can't believe no one else had seen this prior!

Smh

Tizoc

Tsk can't even access the download list on my Vita.
Toe be expected since you gotta access the store for that :/

QaaQer

No, I mean't why as in why are they DDoS-ing all this shit. It's stupid.

Why do people break windows, key cars, take shits on toilet seats, bully, steal then wreck cars, date rape, jerk off into other people's food, piss in open car windows, and shoot road signs?

I'm not sure, but it probably has to do with being ignored or hated by their parents when they were young.

Maybe they were ugly ugly children.

Your best bet right now would probably be to disable any and all internet access, you may have to turn off the router temporarily if it's auto connecting instantly and causing issues, but then you can disable all internet access. You shouldn't have any problems from the confused servers then.

either wait a bit longer or turn off your router, log in and turn off your network connection
Alright, that's really annoying since it works perfectly on the ps3 but I guess we're taking some steps backwards in the typical Sony fashion. I'll try it once I get back home

Top Bottom