• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN, Battlenet, Riot, and others DDOSed; PSN returning lightly toasted with butter

GutZ31

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhA9PAfkJ10

Please, everyone thinking this is a "hack", educate yourselves, then post accordingly.
Thank you for listening.

This sucks, no matter who or what site it happens to.
Hopefully Sony actually does improve their network for the better, as the PS store can be pretty damn slow to load, even without someone trying to slow it down from the outside.

Well, PSN compared to Live service is simply bad.

Too long loading times, sometime it doesn't work (I need to wait on a page until the "purchase" button appears), the bug related to pre-order on PS4...the PSN needs a revamp, and this is a fact.

True can't deny that, that bug is brutal...

MrMuscle

I cant even get my controller to work on my PS4 now. Only the PS button works, so i can turn on and off the machine. But i cant select an app to launch or anything else.

Gekidami

Banned
I'm surprised they didn't wait a couple of weeks and do this DDoS on the day Destiny is released. No one being able to play Destiny would be very embarrassing for Sony and Activision.
Day one traffic will probably do it. Just like when the beta was released.

pixlexic

Banned
This is serverly screwing with my menus.

anyone know a way to be total offline? even when checking your library and movies?

Saganator

Has Xbox live ever been hacked? Seems weird you can seemingly only hack psn.

Ugh, Sony is not being hacked. Their servers are being overloaded by thousands of bot computers. MS can easily be victim to this same attack. I'm guessing these kids are MS fanboys if they haven't hit MS yet.

U2NUMB

Yea it was a strange night last night... my friend who is 3 doors down said his internet was out (we have Charter), I told him to switch to Googles DNS and he did and was fine. I also bought Diablo on X1 and it was always saying Battle.net servers down.

I wanted to play some TLOU this morning.. these children need to find a hobby. Stop with this crap.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Oh crap, I was about to sign on to get Darksiders 2. They had to do this during a flash sale?

Mikey Jr.

Hey guys, let's give them more attention! Grrr, I hate these people! They are trolling me! Lizard squad, stop trolling me! I hate you guys!

There, that should stop them.

Turned my PS4 on just now and only a blue background screen was visible. Controller didn't work apart from the PS button. Turned it on standby, took the internet cable out and rebooted again. Now I can play offline. Hope this helps people still play offline.

Dammit, I ordered a PS4 a couple of days ago and it just arrived today. Coincidentally, I haven't bought any retail games yet because I was planning on playing PS Plus games, like Resogun, to begin with. It started off ok this morning and let me download the update, but when it came to signing into PSN I was getting connection errors.

I thought it was a problem with my network at first so I started troubleshooting and put my PS4 into a DMZ. I got sick of trying after an hour or so and eventually loaded up GAF to see this thread...

SgtCobra

Why didn't they hack Nintendo instead?! Or Steam, or Ouya...
These hackers need to be dealt with, asap. But Sony is also at fault for being hacked so easily. This would've never happened with XBL.

Screw those hackers.

These hackers need to be dealt with, asap. But Sony is also at fault for being hacked so easily. This would've never happened with XBL.

Screw those hackers.

There are so many misconceptions and leaps of logic that don't make sense, I don't even know where to begin.

Alista

Screw those hackers.
wow, I don't know where to start here...

adj_noun

I've been running a countertrace on Web 2.0 but they irrigated the hyperlinks and dove into the deep web. I may have to enhance the polarity of the bit matrix before they can manage to wipe their botprints clean from the information superhighway.

*types furiously*

Screw those hackers.

It can easily happen to anyone and there are not being Hack .

I've been running a countertrace on Web 2.0 but they irrigated the hyperlinks and dove into the deep web. I may have to enhance the polarity of the bit matrix before they can manage to wipe their botprints clean from the information superhighway.

*types furiously*
godspeed!

fsckit

Neo Member
Maybe someone more educated can explain to me, but isnt it doable for big companies to defend themselves against DDOS, like something if you get a request from the same ip again within so much second just block it for a minute or something (even if they switch around ips). I can imagine there are ways to do this?

I mean a targeted hack is something else, but a DDOS seems quiet basic in what it is in essence.

Blocking isn't the problem. It's saturation of the connectivity. Even if you had a firewall powerful enough to keep up with the decisions about what traffic to drop, it doesn't do any good if the pipe is full getting to your firewall.

Anti-DDoS protection services work kind of like a content delivery network like Akamai combined with firewalls. Basically you need to disperse the bad traffic broadly and drop it and proxy the good traffic back to your real servers that are hidden behind the service.

Top Bottom