• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Content 02/28/08

Schrade

Shard said:
Heh the dude in that commercial is hilarious. Nice fro!

Also, check out his white fingernail.

2gvig5h.jpg

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Upcoming PSN PAL Releases

http://www.geekpulp.co.nz/2008/03/04/upcoming-downloadable-ps3psp-games/

Upcoming Downloadable PS3/PSP games

Posted on March 4th, 2008 by Brianemone

elefunk Sony has sent us confirmation of release timing for a few games that were announced last year at E3. Elefunk and Echochrome are the two main items that catch my attention but there is also Flow for the PSP. I am looking forward to Echochrome as I know a lot of people are, there are never enough challenging puzzle games that are so different from the typical falling block games.

Pain is set to be released on the European store (NZ included) this month along with some bonus characters as an expansion. It would be nice if they had released a different map instead of the extra characters as that would increase replayability far more than some new characters.

Press release past the break.

February 2008: Get ready for a great spring on PLAYSTATION®Network (PSN), the online home of PLAYSTATION®Store, where we’ve got some great games and extra content for you to download in the coming months. As well as new games and downloads for PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™), a new title for PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) is also arriving in the new PLAYSTATION Store on PC at http://store.playstation.com. Here’s a rundown of what to look out for in the very near future.

PLAYSTATION®Store releases for PS3

PAIN™ additional characters (starting in March 2008)

Take aim with ten crazy new characters for your catapult

Brand-new PSN title PAIN is all about launching characters into scenery from a gigantic catapult – and we’ve got a whole gang of human slingshot-fodder for you to send flying. Fast-food restaurant mascot Ed ‘T-Bone’ Haulstein and extreme sports jock Jarvis come with the game – but, once you’re done firing them, you can download latex-gloved nurse Ginger, one-legged pirate Scurv Dogg or his ninja nemesis Hung Lo, surgically-augmented Cookie, air-headed cheerleader Muffy – and a down-and-out Santa. Pull them back and watch them fly – the first extra character packs will coincide with the release of the PSN title this March.

Elefunk™ (April 2008)

Build structures across a wild landscape to save a herd of elephants from a fall

Use your construction skills to save elephants from a dangerous fall in this forthcoming PSN title. Your elephants must traverse 20 levels of ravines, rivers, fire pits and swamps – and they’ll only get across if you build the right structures of metal, wood and rope. It’s real construction with realistic physics and three different game modes: Time Attack – against the clock, Puzzle – with a limited amount of materials and Deconstruction – a multiplayer mode where players have to remove pieces from the structure without causing it to fall.

echochrome™ (May 2008)

Guide your character through baffling 3-D mazes of optical illusions

Minimal graphics, maximum gameplay and a concept that’ll blow your mind – that’s forthcoming puzzle title echochrome. The concept is simple but revolutionary: manoeuvre a small walking mannequin through a monochrome 3-D maze by revolving the maze to explore different perspectives. Treacherous gaps from one angle can be turned into uninterrupted walkways that allow the character to walk across; sheer drops can be turned into gentle slopes with a twist of your viewpoint. Once you’ve mastered the game’s mind-bending layouts, you can create your own and upload them to PSN for other puzzle-solvers to tackle.

PLAYSTATION Store on PC releases (for PSP)

flOw™ (March 2008)

Explore flOw’s surreal aquatic abyss on PSP

PSP swims deep into darkness to a world unlike any other as former PS3-exclusive flOw arrives on the handheld platform. Become a gliding, luminous water creature with one aim: to eat, grow and evolve in the depths of a dark world. Hunt and eat tiny morsels to help your creature become more complex. flOw is a unique gaming experience with beautiful graphics and colours – take a soothing dip into its murky waters this March.

Ape Quest™ (April 2008)

Join the ape prince on a bizarre role-playing adventure

The ape kingdom has been cursed and it’s up to you to save it. The careless prince of Toqsica has unleashed legendary beasts known as Apetron; now the Apetron are wreaking havoc. As the hoplessly foolish prince, you must battle your way through the evil minions overrunning the kingdom of Toqsica. En route, you’ll collect weapons and power-ups and test your skills to the limit in a huge variety of mini-games. With help from the magical, wish-granting Spectral Bank, set out to defeat Apetron once and for all – and enjoy a hilarious 3D adventure along the way!

To find out more about these top titles, head online to PLAYSTATION®Network – and, if you’re a PSP owner, visit http://store.playstation.com.

flOw for PSP was reviewed at IGN today.

They say it is pretty faithful to the PS3, but less impressive graphically (and with some slowdown) and you lose the cool motion controls. There is none of the bonus content present, and multiplayer adds even more slowdown. Good game still for $7.99, especially if you are using it for the experience :lol

http://psp.ign.com/articles/856/856787p1.html

I'm sure I will pick it up since I like the PSN, and I don't have a PS3 yet.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Here's some inside tech info from Ar-Pharazon, who worked on the PSP port of flOw:

PS3's CPU has eight cores (one PPU, the main processor, and seven SPEs), each running at 3.2 GHz = 3200 MHz. The GPU (RSX) runs at 550 MHz. PS3 has 512 MB of main memory and 512 MB of VRAM (graphics memory).

PSP's CPU has one core running at 333 MHz (or 222 MHz if you have the wireless antenna on). The GPU runs at 166 MHz (or 111). PSP has 32 MB of main memory, but 8 MB is reserved for the OS, leaving 24 MB for the game to use; it has 2 MB of VRAM.

In flOw, every single creature, including food, is running physics and skin-and-bones animation. There are two full-screen post-processing effects going on: the bloom effect and the depth-of-field blur. And by Sony's request, we didn't cut one creature from the single-player campaign. They're all there, down to the last 1-food. This "simple little casual game" is kind of a beast on PSP. :)

So yeah, I'm proud of what we did. :D I think it also speaks well of the PSP. Despite its apparent limitations, it's quite a capable little machine, and I've really enjoyed programming it. It's got useful features in a sensible design. Kicks the ass of any other handheld, to the point that people compare it with home consoles.

Pretty neat stuff.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
SUPER JOE RETURNS~!

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/15867/Bionic-Commando-Super-Joe-Returns/

Bionic Commando: Super Joe Returns
By: César A. Berardini - "Cesar"

Mar. 5th, 2008 9:07 am
Capcom announced today that Super Joe, the hero of the original arcade version of Bionic Commando, will make a comeback in Bionic Commando Rearmed.

We're happy to have him back after so long, and even though we're only showing you what he looks like in Bionic Commando Rearmed for the moment, rest assured that as Spencer's commanding officer, we expect Super Joe will be making an appearance in the 3D version also.

Bionic Commando Rearmed is a makeover of the classic 8-bit game originally released 20 years ago. The game sees a return of the intense 2D side scrolling, shooting and grappling action from the much-loved 1988 Bionic Commando on the original 8-bit Nintendo Entertainment System.

Shinblade

Banned
Choke on the Magic said:
Unfortunately. Elephunk will be hilarious though. What's the release date for Bionic Commando?

Well... if puzzle fighter is anything to go by, us Uk gafers will get BC in 2012

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Just so it doesn't get lost in the ether, Certain Affinity and Capcom are working on a XBLA and PSN title called Plunder, coming in June.

http://onaxis.blogspot.com/2008/03/certain-affinity-working-on-plunder-for.html

Certain Affinity Working on Plunder for PlayStation Network

Certain Affinity, the Austin based game developers formed by ex-Bungie employees, are working on Plunder for the PlayStation Network and Xbox Live Arcade. The game is a pirate-themed RTS, according to the latest EGM issue. The game will be published by Capcom, and sent out to the PlayStation Store in June 2008.

Plunder has you commandeer a ship, hunting down other others, seizing towns and so forth. The game uses a tile based UI, supports 4-player split screen, and will also include an editor allowing users to edit maps and share their creations.

vercity82

Just finished the ps3 version wicked wil ldefo buy the full game just transfered the psp version to my slim now will give this a crack in bed im from Euro land so need my sleeps people get on this english speach included :)

Crisis

Banned
vercity82 said:
Just finished the ps3 version wicked wil ldefo buy the full game just transfered the psp version to my slim now will give this a crack in bed im from Euro land so need my sleeps people get on this english speach included :)

wat

Wollan

I'm so not into the game art discussion but I think Echochrome is a game Sony needs to put on display somewhere. The announcer takes a bit away from that but still the calm violin music and the clean perspective certanly brings forward the feel of a art piece.

kuYuri

vercity82 said:

Apparently, Echochrome has turned your sentences topsy-turvy.

Crisis

Banned
Hey the Echochrome demo is up on the JPN PC store. Can someone download the demo and put it up for the rest of us?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Wollan said:
I'm so not into the game art discussion but I think Echochrome is a game Sony needs to put on display somewhere. The announcer takes a bit away from that but still the calm violin music and the clean perspective certanly brings forward the feel of a art piece.

It could use some extra AA tho. Especially since it's all black lines over white backgound.

Anyway, great demo.

Top Bottom