• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Content 12/06/07 - Bowling, Wild Arms PS1, GTA4 trailer, MGS4 TGS trailer, themes

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
The Chef said:
I just watched a gameplay video - brought back some great memories.
I got to get this now.

good choice, i just got this game. Bringing back alot of snes/early ps1 rpg vibes that i miss now. Only a few hours in but Im glad I bought this. PSN NEEDS MORE RPGS (same with wii VC and 360 live)!

High Velocity Bowling is tons of fun. Never played Wii Bowling, but really like the game. Definitely glad I bought it. It would be nice if it had character customization and online play, but oh well.

Wild Arms still plays and sounds great today. Plays really good on the PSP.

Speevy

Banned
It's pretty funny that they wasted resources on giving Go! Sports Ski head-to-head online play, but not an actual decent game.

tanod

when is my burrito
BoilersFan23 said:
High Velocity Bowling is tons of fun. Never played Wii Bowling, but really like the game. Definitely glad I bought it. It would be nice if it had character customization and online play, but oh well.

Wild Arms still plays and sounds great today. Plays really good on the PSP.

I was talking to my wife about getting HVB and she put the kabosh on purchasing any more games this year, even though it sounds like it would be a lot of fun with friends, custom tunes and some beers. :(

kbear

tanod said:
I was talking to my wife about getting HVB and she put the kabosh on purchasing any more games this year, even though it sounds like it would be a lot of fun with friends, custom tunes and some beers. :(
tell her it's only 10 dollars

Tntnnbltn

tanod said:
Buy now. Tell her in January.

jonabbey

tanod said:

Your wife sounds like a prudent lady. My wife just said, 'has GAF commented on it yet?'

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Speevy said:
I assume the VC has some RPGs, but this has to be one of the first RPGs released on out of PSN/XBLA.

well ..if you talk about US/EU PS store then yeah , but the japanese PS store have a lot of PS1 JRPG titles long long ago like Arc the Lad , PoPoLoCrois Alundra and many many more .

andycapps

tanod said:

That's how my wife would be if I mentioned it, so I just won't say anything now about it. We'll end up getting it later so I can try to get her into more video games, and for when friends come over, which is usually several times a week. There is quite a few things I need to get: Uncharted (getting for Christmas), Ratchet: TOD, COD4, new Resistance Map Pack, Wowhawk..

Crisis

Banned
tanod said:
My wife is pregnant and due in January. Bad idea. ;)

Do you do a "Pregnancy Content xx/xx/xx - (content here)" list for every week of her pregnancy?

Congrats! Around what time is your little burrito due?

tanod

when is my burrito
Crisis said:
Do you do a "Pregnancy Content xx/xx/xx - (content here)" list for every week of her pregnancy?

Congrats! Around what time is your little burrito due?

All I can say without getting into too much trouble is that I have a lot more patience than I did 7 months ago. Helps me to deal with the annoying people on GAF.

January 25th, BTW. :D

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I've played Wild Arms through the ages. When I was an early teen (one of the first game I got with my Playstation, after FFVII), I've played it again after that, I've then played it again on the PSP and I'm going to play it again on the PS3 with my surround sound and big tv. Wild Arms is truely the game of forever.

Souther

Banned
If my wife told me "no more PSN purchases" i would be like.

Hmmm...I'm hungry. Go into the kitchen and make me something to eat.

But i'm not married so i guess i won't geta chance to try that lil gem out.

Nightz

Souther said:
If my wife told me "no more PSN purchases" i would be like.

Hmmm...I'm hungry. Go into the kitchen and make me something to eat.

But i'm not married so i guess i won't geta chance to try that lil gem out.
From the looks of things, you won't be anytime soon. :lol ;)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
tanod said:
All I can say without getting into too much trouble is that I have a lot more patience than I did 7 months ago. Helps me to deal with the annoying people on GAF.

January 25th, BTW. :D

But what if it falls on a PSN Thursday? Noooooooo!

Kudos to PSN for putting the GTA IV trailer up immediately . . . no more of this gotta "wait until Tuesday" crap.

I bought Pain the other day . . . for $10, it is a fun mini-game that is kinda like a human catapult version of the 'Crash' game in the Burnout series.

I also bought Super Rub A Dub . . . it is kinda lame. I only got it since my 2 year-old likes to see me play it and I got tired of constantly replaying the 5 levels in the demo.

Speevy

Banned
Okay, Wild Arms is pretty fun. Old school RPG action, good deal. I have it for sharing if someone has Bowling.

Kittonwy

Banned
Y2Kev said:
**** and Linch is like having a truck that just cleaned out a septic tank pull directly up to your house, put a tube into your window, and just let it all out into your living room. This is the ugliest next-gen game I've ever seen-- worse than ****** blood money-- and the scene at the bottom of the towers with the crowd just frantically running is embarrassing. It controls sluggishly, the melee feels broken, the cover is complete and unadulterated sewage, and the enemy AI was programmed by a bunch of people that were obviously abusing some kind of illicit substance.

Embarrassment for IO. Total shit game.

^^ It'z true.
Indifferent2.gif

tanod said:
You should not have told her you were going to buy it. ;) Luckily I'm not married yet, but that is another story.

Anyway, I wonder if the rankings for HVB are only high scores. I see there is one person who got a 300. Most I've gotten so far was 168. What's interesting about the game is I find myself bowling the same average I do in real bowling (I end up with a lot of spares and few strikes, like real bowling too). I'm quite impressed with what SCE San Diego put together.

Speevy

Banned
I noticed that the Ratchet theme has its own unique sounds. I wonder if there will ever be a way to implement this into your own theme.

tanod

when is my burrito
BoilersFan23 said:
You should not have told her you were going to buy it. ;) Luckily I'm not married yet, but that is another story.

The point is: she was right. I have bought way too many games this year. HVB can wait. :)

The Jer

wow.

Wii bowling is sooo much better than High Velocity Bowling.

And all this extra content and trick shot crap is just... crap.

They need to make the game mechanics better first and then add content.

I really wish this was much more like Wii bowling; I really thought that is how this would be. :(

And I can't turn off the character's voices. I don't want to hear them repeat the same cheesy, un-funny lines over and over again. Especially if I'm listening to a custom soundtrack.

The Jer said:
wow.

Wii bowling is sooo much better than High Velocity Bowling.

And all this extra content and trick shot crap is just... crap.

They need to make the game mechanics better first and then add content.

I really wish this was much more like Wii bowling; I really thought that is how this would be. :(

And I can't turn off the character's voices. I don't want to hear them repeat the same cheesy, un-funny lines over and over again. Especially if I'm listening to a custom soundtrack.

I strongly disagree.

lol.

Wii Bowling isn't as easy or intuitive IMO. The control scheme here is much better...IMO.

I disagree. Wii bowling isn't a very deep experience, and after getting the basic mechanics down, it's only a bit of fun. HVB's varying bowler stats, lane oiling, and tournament/unlocking modes ensures I will play more of it.

And I really *like* Wii Bowling. A lot. HVB is just better, although it has a learning curve.

I agree I wish I could turn off the voices and/or customize the characters, but those are superficial things.

When I play Wii bowling, it feels like everything else in Wii sports. Really easy, no depth, etc. When I played HVB, I saw it had a lot of depth, and the control scheme, IMO, was just so much easier to work with.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
What I love about HVB is that I'm getting a hang of the ball, and I just beat my first tourney yesterday. There's something incredibly satisfying knowing that your skills have improved enough to advance. :D

Pimpwerx

iapetus said:
Sitting in front of your PS3 listening to the intro music on loop?
I remember a lot of people saying they did the same when it first came out. I know my neighbors sometimes would bang on the walls b/c I was blasting that short clip over and over. It might still be my favorite game intro ever. Yeah, I even liked it more than Soul Edge's. PEACE.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Can you flail your arms around like a lunatic and still manage to bowl a strike in HVB, like you can in WiiSports bowling? Or do you have to bowl like you normally would at a real bowling rink?

chubigans said:
What I love about HVB is that I'm getting a hang of the ball, and I just beat my first tourney yesterday. There's something incredibly satisfying knowing that your skills have improved enough to advance. :D

Ditto, it felt nice when I did the same yesterday. Wii Bowling is fun to fire up every once in awhile, but do I ever play it single-player? No way, there's no reason to. You've got online leaderboards and challenges in HVB.

Belfast

Laguna X said:
Can you flail your arms around like a lunatic and still manage to bowl a strike in HVB, like you can in WiiSports bowling? Or do you have to bowl like you normally would at a real bowling rink?

Nope, you need a little something called "skill" in HVB.

Elios83

So is the bowling game worth it?
I want to buy it because it could be fun with friends and relatives coming at home during the Christmas week :D :D
When is it going to be released on the euro store?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Laguna X said:

Wow, you can do that in Wii Bowling? HVB is nothing like that at all. There's no way you can score past a 100 unless you know what you're doing. Noooo way.

The Jer

Some High Velocity Bowling impressions and comparison with Wii bowling for those interested in the game:

In HVB you place the controller on your palm with the handles pointing to towards you, then make a fist around the controller. Your thumb can still hit the x-button and L3 and R3. Your pinky and index can finger press L2 and R2. It actually works REALLY well.

The control scheme is pretty close to Wii bowling in some ways, but not in others. In Wii bowling you use the d-pad to set where your starting position and angle. In HVB, you use tilt. But, it's still pretty much the same thing. In Wii bowling you press a button to hold the ball and let the button go and let go of the ball. The tilt also makes a differences in Wii bowling. The tilt you let go off the ball with can also affect your spin. In HVB, you use L3 and R3 to add spin. Tilt doesn't matter during the bowl. It only uses the accelerometer. The bowling process affects the speed of the ball.

The things the characters say is really annoying. The things they do to celebrate (or otherwise) are also really annoying. And there is no way to turn this off.

The trick shots are lots of fun. The best part of the game, really.

I don't care about being able to bowl in a variety of different environments.

Laguna X said:
you don't have to bowl like you would at a real bowling rink. I started bowling under-hand. But, now I'm bowling over-hand. Sometimes side-arm, depending on which way I'm sitting.

Strikes come few and far between in HVB, unlike Wii bowling. Which isn't better or worse, imo. Just different. You do have to work pretty hard to get strikes (spin, etc.).
There are a lot more nuances in HVB, like how the alley is oiled. Also, different bowlers have different attributes. And different balls have varying spins. However, HVB is actually easier to pick up and play than wii bowling.

Overall, I like Wii bowling much better. But, I really like the trick shots in HVB.

GrayFoxPL

Anyone else can't connect to a game in TimeShift Multiplayer demo?

All I get is "No response from the host. Try checking your Firewall settings."

I'm on NAT2

What the hell. If once in a million I get respnose and map loads then I only see map from above and info "waiting for server" and nothing happens.

What gives?

Ristlager

Don't know if this has been said eariler in the thread, but HVB har CUSTOM SOUNDTRACKS, ie. you can access your music stored on the HDD. It is brilliantly set up, just play select and you can't pick the songs you like (just like the XMB selection) and you can change songs by pressing R1/L1. Really makes it a very good party game. Haven't played Wii bowling, but this one is very good (as a bowling game..) and hard enough to be a satisfying experience.

Maggot9

Banned
GrayFoxPL said:
Anyone else can't connect to a game in TimeShift Multiplayer demo?

All I get is "No response from the host. Try checking your Firewall settings."

I'm on NAT2

What the hell. If once in a million I get respnose and map loads then I only see map from above and info "waiting for server" and nothing happens.

What gives?

I was playing the demo online yesterday. It definitely has some cool parts to it. The time grenades are really cool.

Fady K

tanod said:
My wife is pregnant and due in January. Bad idea. ;)

Didnt know, congrats Tanod, You're gonna be a father man :D

Speevy said:
I noticed that the Ratchet theme has its own unique sounds. I wonder if there will ever be a way to implement this into your own theme.

I was wondering about that too, the whole idea of having sound implemented took me by surprise, really cool cause there are three different sounds for different actions. Heavenly Swords official theme had sounds too (from the Euro PSN).

Top Bottom