• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP cases tear game manuals :(

Jeff-DSA

I never noticed it before tonight, but the UMD game cases for PSP games put small tears in the top and bottom of your game manuals. For a lot of people this really isn't a big thing, but I consider myself a collector and like to keep everything I own in mint condition. If you look at the inside of the UMD case, you'll notice that there are notches on the top and bottom (4 in total) that do the damage.

I'm probably going to keep my PSP game manuals in a shoebox and leave the UMD cases empty from now on.

Has anybody else noticed this before?

Pimpbaa

Jeff-DSA said:
I never noticed it before tonight, but the UMD game cases for PSP games put small tears in the top and bottom of your game manuals. For a lot of people this really isn't a big thing, but I consider myself a collector and like to keep everything I own in mint condition. If you look at the inside of the UMD case, you'll notice that there are notches on the top and bottom (4 in total) that do the damage.

I'm probably going to keep my PSP game manuals in a shoebox and leave the UMD cases empty from now on.

Has anybody else noticed this before?

Never noticed it till you posted this. All my manuals are damaged like that. Don't give a shit tho.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I opened up one or two of mine and didn't notice anything. Launch games, too. *scratches head* Where on the manuals am I looking for damage?

Jeff-DSA

Mejilan said:
I opened up one or two of mine and didn't notice anything. Launch games, too. *scratches head* Where on the manuals am I looking for damage?

Right on the top and bottom. The cover is probably the most damaged part. There will probably be two small tears on the top in the middle and two on the bottom in the middle. You can see on the case how there are a couple of notches that cause it.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yeah, I see them now. The notches are on the UMD side, not the manual side. I keep my PSP game cases on their side, and the manuals pretty centered, so most of my manuals aren't affected, but one or two are slightly worn. Damn you Sony.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i dont like how there's only one clip thing in the center, but i guess it holds the UMD in as a bonus, and it'd be overkill to have 3 clips...

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
r1952857411.jpg

He Whose Name Must Be Praised said:
“I believe we made the most beautiful thing in the world. Nobody would criticize a renowned architect’s blueprint that the position of a gate is wrong. It’s the same as that.”

Agent X

I just checked many of my PSP game cases (including all my launch games), and there aren't even creases in those locations on the manual, let alone tears. My PSP game cases are lying flat on a shelf.

For those of you who have experienced damage, how are you storing them? Do you carry the PSP game cases around while traveling, or do you open and close them frequently?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Yeah my manuals are fine. My cases on the other hand I have delt some damage to. :lol
(mostly due to it being a portable and I throw around the cases a bit too much)

802170b.jpg

Not too off topic, but I just bought one of these.

Best UMD case ever. Holds 8 games. Very stylish, looks like a mini version of the Logitech PlayGear. And it has a recessed UMD logo on the front, very stylish. Also comes in white.

GameStop for 12.99, Wal-Mart for 9.99.

kiun

yup, always noticed this. Even if you take care of your games, your manual might be damaged during shipping anyway.

I'm surprised this is not addressed in the Jp market, where they like to keep everything mint.

Well, the problem is, the clip that holds the manual in doesn't do a very good job of holding the manual in (probably because there is just one clip). If the manual moves around, the top and bottom will hit the 4 notches on the umd side of the case. However, this only really happens if you shake the case or run with it.

kiun

trancejeremy said:
Well, the problem is, the clip that holds the manual in doesn't do a very good job of holding the manual in (probably because there is just one clip). If the manual moves around, the top and bottom will hit the 4 notches on the umd side of the case. However, this only really happens if you shake the case or run with it.

Which usually happens when the games are in transit from the warehouse to the local store.

Jeff-DSA

kiun said:
Which usually happens when the games are in transit from the warehouse to the local store.

Yeah, I opened a new UMD case today and found that the manual was already marked up.

Juice

I'm shocked we haven't seen Sho Nuff come in here with a "HOW CAN A SYSTEM WITH NO GAMES HAVE GAME BOXES TO TEAR MANUALS, AMIRITE DURR DURR"

JRPereira

I dunno about manuals, but the bastards who manufactured the jewel case for my copy of command & conquer renegade left the little holder thing for the CD's loose and any time you close it, the disc can slide out of place and you risk chipping the edge. I've already given it a good crunch and if it was't for my backups, I'd have to buy the damned thing (got it for free, as I was working on cnc unleashed (a cnc site) a the time and EA was giving out free copies to site staff).

Wired

Am I the only one that think they might as well scrap manuals and just throw in a poster instead? Shit I can't be the only one who never read the damn things...

MoxManiac

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
802170b.jpg

Not too off topic, but I just bought one of these.

Best UMD case ever. Holds 8 games. Very stylish, looks like a mini version of the Logitech PlayGear. And it has a recessed UMD logo on the front, very stylish. Also comes in white.

GameStop for 12.99, Wal-Mart for 9.99.

Yes, I adore this case. I'm getting another one, actually.

Top Bottom