• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Custom Firmware Thread

Gattsu25

Banned
HaloFans said:
Buy a Pandora battery from Ebay or get some friends.

Try recovery mode. Hold the L and R buttons then turn the PSP on (assuming you're starting from a cold boot. Popped battery out and then in.)
gah...none of my friends have CFW

D:

I'll have to either go the eBay route or....hmmm...I guess I could use a slim..can they be downgraded out of the box?

clav

Gattsu25 said:

D:

I'll have to either go the eBay route or....hmmm...I guess I could use a slim..can they be downgraded out of the box?
No. You need help from a fatty to make the required software.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Pretty much everything up to and including 3.50 can be downgraded through SOME kind of exploit. (Some firmwares require unpatched versions of Lumines or GTA). Anything 3.51 or above (which includes all Slims, since they started off with 3.60) requires a Pandora.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Gattsu25 said:

D:

If it doesnt cost TOO much I wouldnt mind sending you my pandora battery. Or you could pay for the shipping and I would be happy to send it :p.

If I can find it hahaha.

Gattsu25

Banned
Emenis said:
If it doesnt cost TOO much I wouldnt mind sending you my pandora battery. Or you could pay for the shipping and I would be happy to send it :p.

If I can find it hahaha.
Wouldn't I still need the mem card? (I live in FL, US btw)

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Hmm, I forgot about the stick. Do you need to use the same stick or can you use a different one? Experts?

Its been awhile since I messed around with this stuff.

SleazyC

Hey Mejilan, since SVCapture decided to stop working for me under 3.71 m33-4 I was wondering what you used for capturing screens. I had tried another plug-in that worked in the XMB but not in games and had heard about people using Custom Firmware Extender but I didn't really want to add all the features it added just for taking screenshots in game.

Mejilan

1) We don't know what the requirements are for 3.80 M33 because it isn't out yet. I might require the most recent M33 firmware (3.71 M33-4), or not.

2) Once a battery is pandora'd, you can use your favorite Pandora creation/installation utility to pair it to any memory stick of sufficient capacity, for the most part.

3) Hmmm... I haven't used a separate screen-cap plugin in many months. If I do need to snap something, I just use the one built into CWCheat. It was never the best or most convenient one, but I usually have the option disabled anyway, and I hate having redundant plugins.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Also if you don't know anyone with a hacked psp you can buy the TOOL battery from us.codejunkies.com - although they are slow as hell shipping them out.

Mejilan

Which can be created with just about any old memory stick using a PC installer. No hacked PSP required.

M3wThr33

Banned
Lynko said:
The Tool battery alone won't help, you'll still need the paired memory stick.
But the memory stick HAS TO be ABOVE 32MB and BELOW 4GB. (Not inclusive)

Also, no 3.80 updates. The global messaging has gotten out of hand and they're just fucking around at this point.

clav

M3wThr33 said:
But the memory stick HAS TO be ABOVE 32MB and BELOW 4GB. (Not inclusive)

Also, no 3.80 updates. The global messaging has gotten out of hand and they're just fucking around at this point.
I downgraded a PSP with a 4 GB Lexar stick.

Mejilan

4GB sticks work. I only own 1 mem stick, and it's a 4GB Sandisk. Obviously, it's matched to my Pandora.

ZeroTolerance

Mejilan said:
Pretty much everything up to and including 3.72 can be downgraded through SOME kind of exploit. (Some firmwares require unpatched versions of Lumines or GTA). Anything 3.51 or above (which includes all Slims, since they started off with 3.60) requires a Pandora.

Fixed.

I have downgraded 3.72 slims and numerous fats.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
The comment about popsloader in the readme worries me. If I install this today, will I be able to play PSOne games on my PSP? If not, no sale.

SleazyC

3.80 M33

--------

Requeriments:

- Installation requires a PSP with 3.52 M33-3 or higher. In the future installation using

panddra battery will be released.

Instructions

- Copy the UPDATE folder into /PSP/GAME/

- Get the 3.80 sony update from somewhere, and put it in same folder, with name "380.PBP".

- Run it, the update will be done by Sony updater. At the end when you are asked to reboot the

PSP pressing X or O, do it.

Changes:

- HEN core: user mode can load now signchecked files from flash.

- recovery: flash1 format will create flash1 directories after format.

This could fix some flash1 issues with the previous versions.

- Network update from dark-alex.org page. By default is enabled.

You can turn it off in recovery (when off, network update will download sony updates as usual).

- Nids resolver for various kernel libraries.

Comments:

In 3.80 sony has changed (again) kernel nids. The nids resolver will resolve a lot of nids from firmwares 1.50-3.60

(traditional nids) to the ones of 3.80 kernel.

In general, 3.71 nids will NOT be resolved to 3.80 ones. However, to compatibilize 3.80 M33 with prx's programmed for 3.71,

a few very 3.71 nids that were found in some 3.71 plugins will be resolved too.

More info about what is resolved in nidsresolver_status.txt.

Thanks to the combination of the nids resolver and the user libraries possibility in kernel mode added back in 3.71 M33-3,

some programs that stopped working in 3.30 M33 may work again now. One of them is PimpStreamer 0.90.

Finally, popsloader plugin from 3.71 will not work in 3.80 M33 due to its system dependancy. A new one will be rewritten for 3.80 M33.
Only big downside currently. Doesn't really effect me though so I'll be updating later today.

iapetus said:
The comment about popsloader in the readme worries me. If I install this today, will I be able to play PSOne games on my PSP? If not, no sale.
Only if your game requires you to play on a different pops version. You can still run pops 3.80.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
You are correct, no new POPSloader yet due to changes in how Sony have written it.
The NIDs resolver is really cool though, all plugins from 1.50 to 3.52 will work straight off. Incredible piece of coding to get that working.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Iapetus said:
The comment refers to plugin that is used to load Popsloaders from older FWs(some games apparently have better compatibility with older versions or whatever).
It will not affect the one embeded in 3.8 FW, you have nothing to worry about.

Danj

Sweet, downloading this now. PSP is already charged so I'll be able to install straight away. BTW, for anyone else who already installed it, are there working screenshot plugins that are compatible with it? I had some trouble with those on 3.71 M33.

Kuran

Banned
Good question, I don't feel like going through all the hassle required to find a working screenshot plugin..

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I have heard that the latest PS1 emulator (popsloader?) has built in feature to swap discs on the fly. That would finally make MGS fully playable, no? What should I do to get this working? Should I update to 3.80 or not?

navanman

Me too. Internet Radio Player is nice addition. My 3.71 specific plugins don't work as expected . If I can find 3.52 compatible versions, they should work.

navanman

Marconelly said:
I have heard that the latest PS1 emulator (popsloader?) has built in feature to swap discs on the fly. That would finally make MGS fully playable, no? What should I do to get this working? Should I update to 3.80 or not?

Where were you last month? Only joking. In 3.71 M33-4, Dark_Alex gave us the option of joining PSX EBOOTS like MGS. Works very well.
I would stick with 3.71 M33-4 with multi-disc POPS fix (seperate download) for the moment.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Internet Radio? Whats that aboot?

Oh god, if it works correctly, I'm going to totally be chillin out to some DI.fm on my PSP

Banned
Well that's me updated from 3.71 M33-4 on my original PSP and everything seems to have gone smoothly. :)

Remote play is working without having to mess about now, so it's pretty cool that you can use F@H remotely and have the PSP stream music from that. (too bad nothing on the PS3 seems to support music off a NAS other than the XMB itself)

Seems a lot more responsive now too - I can use +2 response with the best quality and it works fine now. I used to have to drop it to the lowest settings to get this kind of responsiveness before. (still looks a bit rubbish though)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
navanman said:
Where were you last month? Only joking. In 3.71 M33-4, Dark_Alex gave us the option of joining PSX EBOOTS like MGS. Works very well.
I would stick with 3.71 M33-4 with multi-disc POPS fix (seperate download) for the moment.
So it's true. How would you merge two PSX eboots though? Can you give me link to instructions?

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
My shoutcast isnt working... it loads up but none of the channels load. Oh well, I will try again later today.

Some how I feel this autoupdate thingy will end up biting everyone in the ass eventually. People usually wait a few days, either because they want to, or not checking for new CF every day. If there's a problem with a new version the ammount of people being affected will probably be ALOT higher with the auto update feature.

DA doing it is pretty impressive non the less, but...

SleazyC

After further thought I think I am going to sit tight until a popsloader fix comes out (or a multi-disc pops fix) as I am playing through FF8 right now and don't want to have to split my discs up.

Gah! What a day to forget to bring my PSP to work :lol

Does 1.5 apps work with this 3.80 M33? For example the genesis and snes emulators?

Top Bottom