• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP - DVD and MKV video conversion

i like to use my psp to watch movies, i'd like a quick one-shot re-encoding method to go from dvd to PSP format mp4, please reccomend something.

I also like to convert existing divx etc to psp format, however psp video 9 is no good when it comes to mkv files. The files i want to convert are sometimes subtitled anime, so i'll need something that will go from muxed MKV --> allow audio track selection, subtitle track selection --> PSP format mp4 a "one step" program is preferred, but if thats not possible, at least get me to the point where i can toss a file into psp video 9 and be done with it.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I'm not sure there is any program that does one quick, press start, and go from DVD to PSP. Then again I dont know much about it. I usually just encod avi's and such using psp video 9 which you say is no good.

Not trying to be mean, but google should help, try 'DVD to PSP'. I'm really not sure.

tenchir

Nero Recode lets you do it from DVD to PSP mp4(AVC if you want) directly. If the DVD is copyprotected, you need to decrypt it first though.

Fxp

I gave up on trying to convert mkv files with soft subs to avi. Mediacoder should do it, it worked twice and then just started crashing.

Danj

Bumping kind of an old thread I know, but as far as I can tell there still doesn't seem to be any obvious/easy way of converting DVDs to PSP and retaining subtitles. Does anyone know of one, or is it just a case of having to rip to AVI first and then convert to PSP from there?

For the guy who was looking for MKV softsub support, though, XVID4PSP is capable of that.

Tobor

Bad_Boy said:
I'm not sure there is any program that does one quick, press start, and go from DVD to PSP. Then again I dont know much about it. I usually just encod avi's and such using psp video 9 which you say is no good.

Not trying to be mean, but google should help, try 'DVD to PSP'. I'm really not sure.

Instant Handbrake, as Polari said.

http://osxdaily.com/2006/11/28/instant-handbrake-a-quick-and-easy-dvd-to-ipod-conversion-utility/

The "instant" part is mac only I think. Windows uses regular Handbrake.

Danj said:
Bumping kind of an old thread I know, but as far as I can tell there still doesn't seem to be any obvious/easy way of converting DVDs to PSP and retaining subtitles. Does anyone know of one, or is it just a case of having to rip to AVI first and then convert to PSP from there?

For the guy who was looking for MKV softsub support, though, XVID4PSP is capable of that.

So i can convert mkv to psp compatable mp4 and retain the subs / convert them to hardsubs?

Danj

aznpxdd said:
Xvid4PSP is great, I use it convert both DVD and .Mkv videos.

Right, but Xvid4PSP doesn't support DVD subtitles, so if you have a DVD that has subtitles, you won't get the subtitles on the resulting MP4 file.

Danj said:
Right, but Xvid4PSP doesn't support DVD subtitles, so if you have a DVD that has subtitles, you won't get the subtitles on the resulting MP4 file.
well if it supports mkv i could always download something i already own in that format and convert it from those. would be faster anyway, dont have to worry about the vob arrangement and all of that mess.

Danj

Tobor said:
Instant Handbrake, as Polari said.

http://osxdaily.com/2006/11/28/instant-handbrake-a-quick-and-easy-dvd-to-ipod-conversion-utility/

The "instant" part is mac only I think. Windows uses regular Handbrake.

Well, I've just spent an extremely frustrating hour with Handbrake, I can't even get it to produce a file that's even compatible with the PSP, let alone one that suits what I want. Not even using the default PSP preset produced anything that worked. So I need something better, something that actually works worth a damn.

This thread is a god send. I've been fighting with this all weekend after picking up my new slim. I've tried all kinds of programs and nothing has worked flawlessly yet. I've tried iPSP and DVD2PSP and both are clunky and either crash on me or don't work the way they should.

I tried Handbrake to get TV shows but it will only let me pick one episode at a time. Is there anyway to get multiple episodes to encode?

Danj

When I was looking at Handbrake it seemed like it had a Queue option? Perhaps you could use that?

Anyway, I posted in the XVID4PSP thread on doom9 and it turns out that XVID4PSP does support external subtitles. So all you have to do is use a utility like SubRip to rip the subtitles to .srt or whatever, and then when creating the job in XVID4PSP, go to the advanced tab and add the subtitle file there.

Here's another tip, if you have a DVD with several episodes of a show bundled together in a single title/program stream, you can split it with VStrip

Danj

So yeah, thread necromancy, but the custom firmware thread didn't really seem like the right place to ask. Have there been any new or updated PSP video conversion apps lately? Specifically with MKV support? I'm currently still stuck using the last XVID4PSP v4 version (does v5 support subtitle streams within MKV files yet?) and since I'm going on a trip on Friday I figured I'd convert some videos to watch on the train, but just wondered if there was anything better/different yet.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Danj said:
So yeah, thread necromancy, but the custom firmware thread didn't really seem like the right place to ask. Have there been any new or updated PSP video conversion apps lately? Specifically with MKV support? I'm currently still stuck using the last XVID4PSP v4 version (does v5 support subtitle streams within MKV files yet?) and since I'm going on a trip on Friday I figured I'd convert some videos to watch on the train, but just wondered if there was anything better/different yet.

I'm on 5.033 and I still have to rip subtitles externally before using the add subtitle option.

edit: seems like the latest, 5.034 doesnt add the option either

CamHostage

Unless Sony adds DivX support to PSP, it doesn't seem like there's going to be much more development on the codec end of this system, unfortunately. And even with custom firmware, there has been very, very little development on media players, surprisingly. The PSPlayer or whatever is crap (it crashes all the time and it hardly recognizes common encodes) and there hasn't been much more development. That being said, Sony has done some good updates for the file size and frame size, so you should be able to get full-resolution onto it just fine now.

My suggestion is, unless you can't connect to a wireless hotspot (this will be no good if you watch PSP on the road, for example), encode everything in a format that your PlayStation 3 can play. Screw PSP encodes except for stuff you actually plan on traveling with, instead use Remote Play. This will lose some resolution and contrast (Remote Play is dissappointingtly dark, Sony really should add a Contrast setting as it'd be a free way to increase detail at the same bitrate), but with video I've found it surprisingly acceptable. You'll only have to encode once and you can store everything on your PS3 and just stream to PSP.

Top Bottom