• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Games that Require 2.0 OS

Skin

WE9 does. BO: Legends doesn't. I think GTA will, but isn't Madden getting released next week? That's probably too early for 2.0

Edit: Why do you want to know?

Edit2: Ah, Madden is getting released the 27th. in the US anyway. That'll probably be one of the first 2.0 games.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Can't we assume that all future games will require the latest update? I can't imagine Sony execs sitting around the conference table and saying, "Let's leave out the mandatory OS updates in a few games... we don't want the hackers to miss out!"

Skin

DavidDayton said:
Can't we assume that all future games will require the latest update? I can't imagine Sony execs sitting around the conference table and saying, "Let's leave out the mandatory OS updates in a few games... we don't want the hackers to miss out!"

Why didn't Burnout Legends require you to upgrade to 2.0 then?

It's common knowledge now that firmware version checks are useless against the pirates, all it does is stop legitimate 1.5 homebrew users from being able to purchase and play newer games. I would wager still a large percentage of psp's out there are 1.5, so a dev forcing a firmware update could be loosing potentially a lot of sales.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
DavidDayton said:

no, there's usually a "cut off" date for games with firmware patches. WE9 seems to be the first 2.0 game (which has copy protection and already cracked to play on 1.5)

Gripshift, which came out today, requires 1.52. burnout legends is 1.52 too

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Wario64 said:
WE9 seems to be the first 2.0 game (which has copy protection and already cracked to play on 1.5)
Wow. They wasted no time. I wonder why the devs simply don't make the game so that it uses some feature of the 2.0 firmware. Some DLL that simply doesn't exist in 1.50, so that it can't just be cracked like that.

Marconelly said:
Wow. They wasted no time. I wonder why the devs simply don't make the game so that it uses some feature of the 2.0 firmware. Some DLL that simply doesn't exist in 1.50, so that it can't just be cracked like that.
well, if its for somethng simple that can be patched, it's counter intuitive...

someone can either

(a) not play the game
(b) upgrade and play the game
(c) pirate the game

which do you think they will choose if playing without upgrading isn't an option?

the logic is baffling...

ChrisReid

Moonwalker said:
all it does is stop legitimate 1.5 homebrew users from being able to purchase and play newer games. I would wager still a large percentage of psp's out there are 1.5, so a dev forcing a firmware update could be loosing potentially a lot of sales.

That's silly. The games that require a firmware update also include the updated firmware, so there's no reason for any casual person to ever not buy a game because it requires 1.52/2.0/+. It's only a very tiny minority of people like us that would even know in advance that certain upcoming games require a certain firmware. There will be no loosing of lots of sales.

The Faceless Master said:
someone can either

(a) not play the game
(b) upgrade and play the game
(c) pirate the game

which do you think they will choose if playing without upgrading isn't an option?

the logic is baffling...

Pirating the game isn't an option for the vast super majority of people, and that same group of people don't care about the loss of fan made applications as the cost of gaining a web browser, custom backgrounds, etc. It's not baffling logic at all. Sony wants people to have the latest firmware. This is a very solid logical way for them to achive that.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Wario64 said:
no, there's usually a "cut off" date for games with firmware patches. WE9 seems to be the first 2.0 game (which has copy protection and already cracked to play on 1.5)

Gripshift, which came out today, requires 1.52. burnout legends is 1.52 too

Well, that sort of ties into my point -- all future games (those that go gold after the "cut off" date) will have the update. Sony isn't going to opt to have select tiles playable without the update.

Top Bottom