• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Owners: Any advice for prospective PSP owners?

HOT TIP

To put the PSP into sleep mode, press the power button once

To turn the PSP off, hold the power button for fucking seventeen and a half seconds

rod

Banned
Ironclad_Ninja said:
Do you mind posting a link to the exim screen protectors? Thanks

i got mine from ebay.com.au ive used exim proectors on my ipod and mobile phone screen and when i found out they made one for psp i knew itd be the best. it is imo out of the 3 ive used.

acklame

i guess I need to grab a screen protector too. which one though? Also, those brando ones don't look to be US based. Would they ship it in time for launch then?

Ironclad

acklame said:
i guess I need to grab a screen protector too. which one though? Also, those brando ones don't look to be US based. Would they ship it in time for launch then?
I've been leaning towards the Professional Screenguard from play-asia myself. It seems good. Anybody have any comments on this screen protector?

Syckx

Perhaps a stupid question: Could I use a firewire and a USB drive with a PSP for storing video? Thanks in advance.

Syckx said:
Perhaps a stupid question: Could I use a firewire and a USB drive with a PSP for storing video? Thanks in advance.

Nope. Only off Mem sticks at the moment...hackers might 'expand' this feature (hopefully). BTW, where are the emulators, I know its still kinda early but I hope someone is working on them.

Ironclad_Ninja said:
I've been leaning towards the Professional Screenguard from play-asia myself. It seems good. Anybody have any comments on this screen protector?
I was leaning toward the two-piece system+screen protector, plus the Nyko charger case, but I really want to hear impressions. If anyone has screen/case reviews, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to hear about them.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Can someone who doesn't have a screen protector speak up? I can't fathom throwing a $0.50 piece of plastic on top of a $200 piece of electronics, then again what do I know as I've only owned every previous handheld and never had an issue.

aoi tsuki

acklame said:
i got one in about five business days around Christmas last year. Even if it meant a day or two of doing without them, i'd get Brando or Martin Fields over whatever's being sold in the US.

RevenantKioku said:
Can someone who doesn't have a screen protector speak up? I can't fathom throwing a $0.50 piece of plastic on top of a $200 piece of electronics, then again what do I know as I've only owned every previous handheld and never had an issue.
So you'll spend $200 and risk getting your screen scratched? If i spend a few hundred on something, i'm going to protect it... period. Speding $30 on a case and $15 on a screen protector is a minor expense to keep it in excellent condition.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
aoi tsuki said:
So you'll spend $200 and risk getting your screen scratched? If i spend a few hundred on something, i'm going to protect it... period. Speding $30 on a case and $15 on a screen protector is a minor expense to keep it in excellent condition.

Uh, the point is in having a Neo Geo Pocket, two wonderswan iterations and every single gameboy and a DS, I never had a screen issue. And now everyone is saying throw this shit onto your PSP and going on about how easily it scratches. I've seen people try to apply screens to systems and have it make the system look like shit.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
acklame said:
I was just going to tell you that Martin Fields ships from within the US (with Priority), but the single pack is apparently now sold out. You can still get a double for $25..

aoi tsuki

RevenantKioku said:
Uh, the point is in having a Neo Geo Pocket, two wonderswan iterations and every single gameboy and a DS, I never had a screen issue. And now everyone is saying throw this shit onto your PSP and going on about how easily it scratches. I've seen people try to apply screens to systems and have it make the system look like shit.
Based on the majority of people that've owned the PSP, the screen is seriosuly susceptible to scratches. Even scratches from using the cleaning cloth or some cases. There are a lot of people have likened the PSP to the iPod in that sense. My portable electronics have never been that delicate (save for PDA screens), but then again they didn't have a glossy finish which happily displays every incident after the device is removed from it's packaging.

i'm wasn't saying you're wrong, especially when i haven't even touched a PSP myself, i was just a little puzzled by your logic.

RevenantKioku

aoi tsuki said:
i'm wasn't saying you're wrong, especially when i haven't even touched a PSP myself, i was just a little puzzled by your logic.

Fair enough. I'm just a bit irked by this whole "OH DEAR GOD PROTECT PSP!" schtick going on. Its a freaking portable device, I just can't see a screen being that bad. Hell I messed with my Sony rep's PSP, and I saw no scratches on it (Though the plastic surrounding the screen does get ugly as hell fast, there were smudges all over it and I had just picked it up. Oh yeah, analog nub sucks it.) but it didn't seem that she did much more than it than take it out to show people at stores.

vatstep said:
I was just going to tell you that Martin Fields ships from within the US (with Priority), but the single pack is apparently now sold out. You can still get a double for $25..

The Brando one ships from Hong Kong I guess, but for only $3.00.

Cathcart

RevenantKioku said:
Fair enough. I'm just a bit irked by this whole "OH DEAR GOD PROTECT PSP!" schtick going on. Its a freaking portable device, I just can't see a screen being that bad. Hell I messed with my Sony rep's PSP, and I saw no scratches on it (Though the plastic surrounding the screen does get ugly as hell fast, there were smudges all over it and I had just picked it up. Oh yeah, analog nub sucks it.) but it didn't seem that she did much more than it than take it out to show people at stores.
I sneezed a few minutes ago and I'm pretty sure my iPod that's out in the car has a big scratch right across the display because of it. If the PSP is anything like the iPod I'm going to order a protective screen this week.

People with PSP covers speak up, we need more opinions on which ones are good. WE'RE RUNNING OUT OF TIME!!!

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
I don't have one, but if I were to get a second PSP(Come on white GT PSP) I would get the Exim screen protector. One of my coworkers has one and it's ACE. You'll spend like $10+ for one but trust me it's worth it like others have said in this thread. The PSP won't get like Scratches Scratches. More like just hairline ones that can only be seen in sunlight. When you are playing a game, viewing jpegs, or just watching a video you won't see any of the scratches. Ebay Exim and find it there. I was thinking if a Exim P910a screen protector would fit prefectly on the PSP as a screen protector. Any PDA users know if that would be a perfect match?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Video: It doesn't remember where you are if you play something else, or go into sleep mode. But there is a button that lets you jump to a specific time. So if you check where you are before shutting off, its easy to get back in there.

Protectors: I just use the soft case. You only want protection when travelling anyway. When its out and in use you don't breath heavily on the screen much after the first couple of weeks.

I don't have a protector for my ipod either. I don't see the point. I have a hard case for when its in my backpack, but when its out I want to see teh glossy. My friend has a cover that just looks all manky and covers up all its glory. I don't see the point. I'll buy a cover after its all scratched to fuck.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Lyte Edge said:
You HAVE to get a Pro Duo. That's all the PSP takes.

To be specific, the PSP WILL take regular Duos and Duo Pros (the 32MB card that came with the Value Pack is just a regular Duo, not a Pro). Then again, I think any size of Duo above 256MB will be a Duo Pro.

I got my 1GB Sandisk from Mwave for $120. Newegg is another place to look, but they only carry up to 512MB.

Right now the 512MB Sandisk Duo Pro are in stock at Mwave for $57. It also looks like they are going to be carrying the Sandisk gaming cards soon.

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/ViewProd...LASHMEDIA-MS&DNAME=Flash+Media+-+Memory+Stick

Pic of the gaming sandisk duo pros:

3655594.jpg

3655593.jpg

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
Kobun Heat said:
HOT TIP

To put the PSP into sleep mode, press the power button once

To turn the PSP off, hold the power button for fucking seventeen and a half seconds

You know, even when I'm attempting to just press it once sometimes it seems like it goes to full off mode. What a great non-feedback interface Sony made for something as basic as turning the damn thing off. Oh wait I forgot, it's supposed to be a cathedral designed by a faultless architect, the most beautiful artifact in the world... without a decent off switch.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
mrklaw said:
I don't have a protector for my ipod either. I don't see the point. I have a hard case for when its in my backpack, but when its out I want to see teh glossy. My friend has a cover that just looks all manky and covers up all its glory. I don't see the point. I'll buy a cover after its all scratched to fuck.
I thought this way up until the PSP. I don't have a screen protector on my iPod because more often than not, it's in my pocket. If it got scratched, I'd be upset, but it wouldn't hurt the functionality. With the PSP though, more often than not, I'm going to be looking directly at it. I don't want to see scratches, which is why I ordered a screen protector and am going to put it on straight out of the box.

And I like the idea of the soft case, just not the fact that it leaves one end of the system unprotected. So I got this Hori case instead. It's pretty nice.

Miburou

Marconelly said:
What. It takes no more than 3-4 seconds on mine.

It takes 3 seconds with me when there's no UMD inside, but with a disc inside, it takes 7-8 seconds. You can let go of the off button once the screen dims, though (3 seconds in either case).

Shompola

Banned
Defensor said:
I don't have one, but if I were to get a second PSP(Come on white GT PSP) I would get the Exim screen protector. One of my coworkers has one and it's ACE. You'll spend like $10+ for one but trust me it's worth it like others have said in this thread. The PSP won't get like Scratches Scratches. More like just hairline ones that can only be seen in sunlight. When you are playing a game, viewing jpegs, or just watching a video you won't see any of the scratches. Ebay Exim and find it there. I was thinking if a Exim P910a screen protector would fit prefectly on the PSP as a screen protector. Any PDA users know if that would be a perfect match?

If you want to remove the exim one.. does it leave any glue or anything similiar on the screen? Is it easy to apply? Is it easy to remove? Can you wash it and reuse it?

edit/ nm I just checked. leaves no glue or any other residue. can be reused and washed. Very expensive though.

residue-free-01.jpg
residue-free-02.jpg

"Unlike most popular screen protectors sold on the market, the EXiM SPUC uses no glue, but instead a silicon-coating adhesive. This explains why the SPUC is washable because glue, once touches water, will lose its adhesiveness. More problems with glue include:

- leaves residue on the screen when detached from screen
- where vendors claim their protector leaves no residue, this is not GUARANTEED, because high temperatures can melt the glue
- leaves bubbles when applied incorrectly; you can still get bubbles on the SPUC ? but the difference is, you can always detach and re-apply!"

thanks for the info defensor

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm against those screen protectors for the same reason I'm against the practice of leaving the TV remote control in the plastic wrap it comes in - I'd rather fully enjoy something for a shorther amount time than never fully enjoy it. Case in point, these screen protectors always damage picture quality at least a bit, and I find that more annoying than what little scratches you can make on the screen by using it regularily.

You know, even when I'm attempting to just press it once sometimes it seems like it goes to full off mode. What a great non-feedback interface Sony made for something as basic as turning the damn thing off.
Again, what? To put it in the sleep mode, you just flick it up, you don't have to hold it in that position even for a second.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm against those screen protectors for the same reason I'm against the practice of leaving the TV remote control in the plastic wrap it comes in - I'd rather fully enjoy something for a shorther amount time than never fully enjoy it. Case in point, these screen protectors always damage picture quality at least a bit, and I find that more annoying than what little scratches you can make on the screen by using it regularily.

Have you been using your PSP without a screen protector? If so, how's it holding up? Do you ever take it out with you? What kind of case do you use?

I also do not wish to use a screen protector for that very same reason. I can't stand the way they look when in use.

jenov4

-jinx- said:
Which Exim model works with the PSP? I went to their site and didn't see a model specifically for the PSP.

I would also like to know! PSP's less than 2 weeks away, I must get a screen protector before the PSP!

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
Marconelly said:
Again, what? To put it in the sleep mode, you just flick it up, you don't have to hold it in that position even for a second.

Yeah, there's been times I've been trying to put it in sleep mode but it instead does a full off (and vice versa, but this is more common). I only flick it very quickly and it shuts down, but then when I turn it back on it does a full reboot instead of going back to where I was in the game :(.

Prine

Banned
argh god, im not sure about encoding vidoes after reading that thread. Confused the hell out of me.

Which is a shame, the main reason behind my PSP purchase is to watch alot of stuff on the go.

All i need is 3gl huh? Thats it? And it'll encode for me???

Minotauro said:
1. That isn't for PSP. You can clearly see a Clie in the picture.

2. It's 17-fucking-dollars!

Its a place holder pic.

They make them for psp as well. I got one for $13 shipped.

=|

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
krypt0nian said:
Its a place holder pic.

They make them for psp as well. I got one for $13 shipped.

=|

Oh, I don't doubt that they make them. I'm just suspicious if that auction is actually for one. "PSP" is only mentioned once in the auction...

acidviper

Banned
Flying Llama said:
If you only listen to one piece of advice listen to mine.

Get the 2 year product repacement plan!!!

Warranties are for suckers. You are better off just picking up a new one in a better color than getting some refurbished model on its last breath.

acidviper said:
Warranties are for suckers. You are better off just picking up a new one in a better color than getting some refurbished model on its last breath.

This will go badly for you.

EB games warrenty nets you a brand new one off the shelf for your busted one.

number386

acidviper said:

The product replacement plan = a brand new psp off the shelf if something goes wrong within 2 years. Most retailers offer it EB, best buy, cuitcuit city etc, well worth the $30-$40 for it.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I've been using a protector for my iPod for over a year. Awesome crap.

I ordered Brandos for both the PSP and DS. Should be here within a week, I think.

Just ordered an exim off ebay for about 14 bucks. My Aero case should ship from NCS tomorrow. Now if only the launch would hurry up and get here. :D

Top Bottom