• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP PRICE DROP this weekend, how long until other systems follow?

jeremy1456 said:
I've had one since PSP 1000. I disagree with you - I haven't turned it on in a couple of years, and the only reason I would want to do so is to catch up on Persona.

The top of the library doesn't match the top of the DS'.

I've owned a 1000 since launch, and received a 2000 as a gift shortly after that SKU was released. For the first four or five years, it's been feast and famine. Two or three kick ass games would come out ion short succession, then nothing for months, but now? There's been a deluge of quality titles for the last year and a bit. God of War: Ghost of Sparta, Half-Minute Hero, Dissidia: Final Fantasy, Monster Hunter: Freedom Unite, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep, Ys 7, Ys: The Oath in Felghana, Ys I & II Chronicles, Valkyria Chronicles II, Z.H.P., Tactics Ogre: Let Us Fucking Cling Together...you haven't turned your PSP on in years and all you want to play is the two Persona's? Really? Subjective list is subjective, but you've almost got to be working to not find a game to be interested in.

With Dissidia Duodecim, 3rd Birthday, Final Fantasy 4: The Complete Collection, and Monster Hunter: Freedom 3 (if Capcom isn't fucking retarded), the PSP is going to go out with a bang. For my money, the PSP has gone from being a somewhat disposable platform, to one to the best this generation.

dacuk

I'll wait until $99 to replace my old PSP-1000. I had to replace its motherboard once, and now the contact for the digital Down button does not register presses properly, and the analog Down (even after replacing the joystick) keeps registering ghost presses. I just wish PSPs were as sturdy as DSes (my launch-day Fat one is up an' running as the first day.)

jaundicejuice said:
Together...you haven't turned your PSP on in years and all you want to play is the two Persona's? Really? Subjective list is subjective, but you've almost got to be working to not find a game to be interested in.
I agree. I hadn't used my PSP-1000 since like 2007 (aside from HSG2 in 08) but then I got a PSP Go and theres a lot of games I want to catch up on.

Jagernaut

Hug-Dealer said:
That's just pathetic. I feel bad for all the children whose parents are about to buy them a PSP, completely unaware of the new systems about to be released. Actually, I feel bad for the parents themselves.

There are a lot of really good games available new for $10 or $20, this is a great time for someone on a budget to buy a PSP. Just because the next PSP is coming out this year doesn't mean you can't enjoy the current system.

Chemo

Orayn said:
Personally, I'm hoping the oft-rumored $250 PS3 comes to pass by this Summer. The PSP is quite tempting, but I really need Demon's Souls, several of the "HD Trilogy" re-releases, Uncharted, and a bunch of other exclusives.
You don't really need it THAT bad if $50 is your breaking point.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Chemo said:
You don't really need it THAT bad if $50 is your breaking point.

Shit you could say about any price point, but maybe that is just what works for him.

Anyways I checked my other Target last night, and they didn't have any bundles either. I think I might wait it out and see the NGP price now, but I might have picked a 3000 up if I actually had found a bundle. The GO isn't an option as none of the GS' around me have any and the change of them ever getting one when I look are slim to none now.

I need a handheld as I said before with my DSL being borked, but I might just wait till E3 to see what's going down and reevaluate again then.

P90

IMACOMPUTA said:
Everyone:
Buy a PSP!
Phantasy Star Portable 2 is awesome.
Play that on your new PSP.

Thank you.

I love the PSP. but Phantasy Star Portable 1>>2. Vivienne, Karen, and Maya ftw!

Redrum_82

I think I'm going to get a PSP as soon as P3P comes out here in Europe.

I don't really want to mess with UMDs, so my question is: are there any must-have games that are not available on PSN?

I'm kinda considering the idea of going for a used PSP-Go.

Forbiden

Redrum_82 said:

I don't really want to mess with UMDs, so my question is: are there any must-have games that are not available on PSN?

I think it all depends on your definition of "must haves". The only one I can think of that most people would consider a "must have" that is not on PSN is Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep. There are a lot of other SE titles that are not up there, like both of the Star Oceans, FF1, FF2, Crisis Core, ect. Other than that, most of the good PSP games are up on PSN.

Chris R

Didn't see the price drop reflected at any of the stores I visited today, but they were all local stores or stores that had a limited gaming stock.

Trying to find a good bundle with the price drop to replace my aged 1000

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Is there a PSP other then the PSP Go that allows you to hook it up to a TV and use a gamepad on it?

I'd like the option, especially thanks to XSEED :)

Forbiden

Suikoguy said:
Is there a PSP other then the PSP Go that allows you to hook it up to a TV and use a gamepad on it?

I'd like the option, especially thanks to XSEED :)

The Go is the only PSP model that has Bluetooth support iirc, so no.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Forbiden said:
The Go is the only PSP model that has Bluetooth support iirc, so no.

Disappointing, I was hoping to play the new Legends of Heroes Trilogy partly on a TV relaxed on a couch, without hand cramps.

Zwei

Nice, it'll be getting another PSP soon at this price, then. Now all I need is a PSP compatible video upscaler to do away with those annoying borders when played on an HDTV.

Massa

Redrum_82 said:

I would highly recommend getting a new PSP Go, as you'd get 10 free games. And they're all pretty good games.

Redrum_82

Massa said:
I would highly recommend getting a new PSP Go, as you'd get 10 free games. And they're all pretty good games.

Out of those games i'm only really interested in LBP and apparently Italy is out of the offer:

To qualify for this offer, you must be 18 years or over and you must have purchased a PSPgo system in one of the following countries on or after 1 April 2010: Australia, Belgium, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, India, Ireland, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Arab Emirates or the United Kingdom.

Gamestop sells used PSPGos for 129€.

Abooie

Banned
Well I'd been thinking of getting one for a while and this thread tipped the scales which is ironic really as I live in the UK and there's been no f'ing price cut. It's the unique rpgs that I was intrigued by and felt now was a good time to jump on board.

Still I feel I got a reasonably good deal:

PSP 3000 Variety Pack

Sony PSP 3000 Slim & Lite Blue Console
Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince PSP
Assassins Creed II Bloodlines PSP
Superbad UMD
Hancock UMD
Invizimals including Camera & Trap PSP

All for £133 incl. shipping which I didn't think too bad. I'll be selling off most of the bundle but I'll give AC2 a stab and can't deny being intrigued by Invizimals.

I've bought a Sony 8GB Memory Stick Pro Duo for £20 which might be overkill and also ordered:

Sid Meier's Pirates! for £5.99

and the reason I've got all this:

Tactics Ogre Let us Cling Together Premium Edition for £23.86

I've started a list of other games I'm interested in, some of which I'll have to import I think.

Jeanne D'arc
Disgaea Afternoon of Darkess
Final Fantasy Tactics
Brave Story: New Traveler
Persona 3 Portable

Anything I'm missing?

fernoca

Suikoguy said:
hmm, interesting option. Thanks for the information.
Though as pointed both allow to be seen on a TV, only the GO is the one that allows the Dual Shock 3 to be synced. Also, when syncing a control to it, you'll need to sync it again to the PS3 (and back and forth) [reason I ended getting a separate controller just for the PSPGo, and the cradle] :p.

A similar alternative (if you want the laying in couch thing wit ha 2000/3000 model) would be to get a really long component cable. But, also keep in mind that the image is not full screen. So in a case like Legend of Heroes (or RPGs in general), if your couch is too far and the TV is not that big, you might have to get closer to read some of the text.

Why would a PSP price drop affect other consoles in the U.S.? $130 still seems a bit high for it. Even if they dropped it to $100, I don't think that would affect the DS or 3DS.

YagizY

P90 said:
I love the PSP. but Phantasy Star Portable 1>>2. Vivienne, Karen, and Maya ftw!

No. PSP2 has online servers whereas the only way you can play PSP1 multiplayer is through Ad Hoc party.

Phantasy Star Portable 1 & 2 validates my purchase of my PSP personally.

Crisis

Banned
Abooie said:
Well I'd been thinking of getting one for a while and this thread tipped the scales which is ironic really as I live in the UK and there's been no f'ing price cut. It's the unique rpgs that I was intrigued by and felt now was a good time to jump on board.

Still I feel I got a reasonably good deal:

PSP 3000 Variety Pack

Sony PSP 3000 Slim & Lite Blue Console
Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince PSP
Assassins Creed II Bloodlines PSP
Superbad UMD
Hancock UMD
Invizimals including Camera & Trap PSP

All for £133 incl. shipping which I didn't think too bad. I'll be selling off most of the bundle but I'll give AC2 a stab and can't deny being intrigued by Invizimals.

I've bought a Sony 8GB Memory Stick Pro Duo for £20 which might be overkill and also ordered:

Sid Meier's Pirates! for £5.99

and the reason I've got all this:

Tactics Ogre Let us Cling Together Premium Edition for £23.86

I've started a list of other games I'm interested in, some of which I'll have to import I think.

Jeanne D'arc
Disgaea Afternoon of Darkess
Final Fantasy Tactics
Brave Story: New Traveler
Persona 3 Portable

Anything I'm missing?

The Lunar remake is really good.

So the price drop has got me wanting a PSP. Two sets of questions:

First: What size memory stick should I get? I won't be putting videos/music/pictures on it. It will only be used for gaming. I have a few PSP games on PSN that I bought and would like to put on it, and maybe a PSN title or two. Would 4GB be okay? Can you install games PSP games to a memory stick? Do save files get saved on internal storage and not the memory stick?

Second: I have never played a Persona game. I am thinking of getting FES since that seems a lot like the original version of the game with complete story and cutscenes. Is that a good idea? From what I gather, P3P has "cameos" from P4, streamlined combat, party control, but less voice and few cutscenes. Is that true? If that's the case, I think I would want to get FES for a "complete" or "true" version of the game, right?

Quixzlizx

brianmcdoogle said:
So the price drop has got me wanting a PSP. Two sets of questions:

First: What size memory stick should I get? I won't be putting videos/music/pictures on it. It will only be used for gaming. I have a few PSP games on PSN that I bought and would like to put on it, and maybe a PSN title or two. Would 4GB be okay? Can you install games PSP games to a memory stick? Do save files get saved on internal storage and not the memory stick?

Second: I have never played a Persona game. I am thinking of getting FES since that seems a lot like the original version of the game with complete story and cutscenes. Is that a good idea? From what I gather, P3P has "cameos" from P4, streamlined combat, party control, but less voice and few cutscenes. Is that true? If that's the case, I think I would want to get FES for a "complete" or "true" version of the game, right?

I would go with at least 8 GB. Some PSP games take up more than 1 GB individually. There shouldn't be a large price difference between 4 and 8 GB cards.

With official firmware, you can only install portions of a UMD's game data to a memory stick if the individual game supports it. With custom firmware, you can rip pretty much every game to memory stick. I'm assuming you meant UMD games here, since PSN games are already in digital form.

Smision said:
Why would a PSP price drop affect other consoles in the U.S.? $130 still seems a bit high for it. Even if they dropped it to $100, I don't think that would affect the DS or 3DS.
Sony and Nintendo have been teasing console price drops for months. I wanted speculation on if other systems will drop in the next month or two. Clearly the PSP's lower price won't force a response.

Nice, this makes me want to upgrade my 1000, if I ever get the reimbursement I'm due, then I may upgrade. Also, 3rd birthday is going to be a beast!!!! Cannot wait. Japanese developement isn't dead, it just went onto the road

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I looked some more over the weekend. Nobody has any of the bundles so it's either a core or bust.

Gonna wait since I didn't find a bundle at Target until either I get more disposable cash or else we hear the NGP price and I go ooo or ewww. LOL

seabee said:
Shouldn't the games themselves be a GOOD reason to get the system?

Ha, yeah. To be honest I don't think my handhelds have left my house in years.

I had a PSP a while ago and just lost interest in a lot of the games and eventually gave it away. This is just too close to my 3DS and the NGP to even really care.

Honestly, if they would have done this last summer I'd have been all over it and probably been buying games, but now I'm a month away from a new handheld and then 6 months away from NGP most likely.

And bought!
I am just staring at the system because I don't have a memory stick yet (should arrive in a few hours). i've got Peace Walker, the Metal Gear Acid games coming in the next few weeks, and think I'll pick up Persona 3 Portable. I'm not that into RPGs, so what else might you all suggest? I will be getting The 3rd Birthday when it comes out because I liked the original Parasite Eve on the Playstation.

Any suggestions?

brianmcdoogle said:
And bought!
I am just staring at the system because I don't have a memory stick yet (should arrive in a few hours). i've got Peace Walker, the Metal Gear Acid games coming in the next few weeks, and think I'll pick up Persona 3 Portable. I'm not that into RPGs, so what else might you all suggest? I will be getting The 3rd Birthday when it comes out because I liked the original Parasite Eve on the Playstation.

Any suggestions?

Lumines
Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee 2
Wipeout Pulse

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
brianmcdoogle said:
Any suggestions?
I'll second the preceding post, especially HSG: Open Tee 2. PSP's killer app, right there.

And add:
Locoroco 2
Megaman Maverick Hunter X
Megaman Powered Up
Patchwork Heroes
Half-Minute Hero
Burnout Dominator/Legends
Patapon
Resistance Retribution
God of War Chains of Olympus
Daxter
The Warriors
Chili Con Carnage
Echoshift
Crush
Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles
Ultimate Ghosts & Goblins

This may sound silly, but I can play games and move, right? It's odd feeling a disc spinning and hearing the whirling sound. It reminds me of my first discman back in 1993, where if you touched it while playing it skipped and scratched discs.

I understand not being able to throw the PSP with a game in it on my bed when I'm done playing it, but do discs otherwise scratch easily?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Never had a problem with anything skipping or scratching, and I've played on my share of bumpy subway rides.

Eteric Rice

I got a PSP today. :D

Forgot that it doesn't come with a memory card. :(

Do you guys think Gamestop will be doing the trade in for the NGP when it's close to release? I know I won't be getting much for this thing, but I know they're giving a decent amount for DSes towards the 3DS.

Will they do the same for the NGP?

fernoca

brianmcdoogle said:
This may sound silly, but I can play games and move, right? It's odd feeling a disc spinning and hearing the whirling sound. It reminds me of my first discman back in 1993, where if you touched it while playing it skipped and scratched discs.

I understand not being able to throw the PSP with a game in it on my bed when I'm done playing it, but do discs otherwise scratch easily?
That's part of why Sony put the discs in those plastic cases.

And you can move around and play,is not like you'll be throwing it around or jumping or something.....I think. :p

Massa

brianmcdoogle said:

I believe that's why the discs are protected by that plastic case. I felt that way too before buying a PSP but never had a problem, all my UMD's were as good as new before I sold them all for a PSP Go.

And speaking of, I would definitely recommend getting games on PSN, at least for those sub-$10 games (Locoroco 2, Patapon 2, Hot Shots Golf, Killzone Liberation, Coconut Dodge to name a few). By getting the PSN version you don't need to carry discs around (with multiple games available at any time on the memory stick), loading times and noise levels are better, and you'll get to play those games on the NGP.

Massa said:
I believe that's why the discs are protected by that plastic case. I felt that way too before buying a PSP but never had a problem, all my UMD's were as good as new before I sold them all for a PSP Go.

And speaking of, I would definitely recommend getting games on PSN, at least for those sub-$10 games (Locoroco 2, Patapon 2, Hot Shots Golf, Killzone Liberation, Coconut Dodge to name a few). By getting the PSN version you don't need to carry discs around (with multiple games available at any time on the memory stick), loading times and noise levels are better, and you'll get to play those games on the NGP.

how much better is the battery life when playing psn games instead of umd versions?

Ellis Kim

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
I've owned a 1000 since launch, and received a 2000 as a gift shortly after that SKU was released. For the first four or five years, it's been feast and famine. Two or three kick ass games would come out ion short succession, then nothing for months, but now? There's been a deluge of quality titles for the last year and a bit. God of War: Ghost of Sparta, Half-Minute Hero, Dissidia: Final Fantasy, Monster Hunter: Freedom Unite, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep, Ys 7, Ys: The Oath in Felghana, Ys I & II Chronicles, Valkyria Chronicles II, Z.H.P., Tactics Ogre: Let Us Fucking Cling Together...you haven't turned your PSP on in years and all you want to play is the two Persona's? Really? Subjective list is subjective, but you've almost got to be working to not find a game to be interested in.

With Dissidia Duodecim, 3rd Birthday, Final Fantasy 4: The Complete Collection, and Monster Hunter: Freedom 3 (if Capcom isn't fucking retarded), the PSP is going to go out with a bang. For my money, the PSP has gone from being a somewhat disposable platform, to one to the best this generation.
Last year and this year for PSP is fucking amazing.

Eteric Rice said:
I got a PSP today. :D

Forgot that it doesn't come with a memory card. :(

Do you guys think Gamestop will be doing the trade in for the NGP when it's close to release? I know I won't be getting much for this thing, but I know they're giving a decent amount for DSes towards the 3DS.

Will they do the same for the NGP?
There's value to be found in the ever-active CFW scene, so certainly, I'm sure they'll do their trade-in value thing.

If it nets me a healthy discount, I'll probably trade in my PSP 1k and keep my big boss camo 3k :D

Apath

My suggestion to new adapters is to keep your game purchases on PSN as much as possible -- unless you don't plan on getting the Sony NGP. Just check the PSN Store every week and see if a PSP game you're interested in is on sale.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Kenak said:
My suggestion to new adapters is to keep your game purchases on PSN as much as possible -- unless you don't plan on getting the Sony NGP. Just check the PSN Store every week and see if a PSP game you're interested in is on sale.
That, and sales!

Persona1 and P3P have gone on sale twice now on PSN. VC2 and Peacewalker have as well.

Hopefully this year's spring sale will be fruitful.

Top Bottom