• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend some PSP games!

Ledsen

So I know everyone hates these threads and posts lists of the thousands of old threads on the same subject... well, strangely, I couldn't find any current ones when I searched, most were pretty old. So I decided to make this one.

Anyway, I'm thinking of buying a PSP Go before the EU "10 free games" offer expires on Jan 31. The problem is, I don't know much about current and upcoming games. I've owned a PSP twice before, but sold them due to most games at the time being water-down console experiences. So I'm asking you GAF, which are the best released and upcoming games for the PSP? All genres are fair game, except sports games. UMD games are fine as well since the Go now has homebrew capabilities.

edit: For upcoming games, see Nirolak's awesome thread.

Please post at least one screenshot and a short descriptive text of why the game is good. Use this format:

GAME TITLE

SCREENSHOT

DESCRIPTIVE TEXT

If you do, I'll put your recommendation in the OP. Thanks :)

Minsc said:
Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together

tactics01.jpg

Looking to be the best SRPG ever made. TO beautifully remade with (almost) all the innovations that have been brought to the series/genre since it's original release (where they were lacking). Combat gets a complete makeover, and there's content galore, including achievements!

Youtube video showing all sorts of status/configuration/battle screen. Pre-order thread & classes/narrative thread (with my pic showing how crazy the branching story is and the large number of missions).

BiggNife said:
Half-Minute Hero

Half-Minute-Hero-001.jpg

As for why the game is good. It has:

-A Great sense of humor

-A really neat-looking 8-bit art style

-Extremely clever gameplay mechanics (every level must be completed in 30 seconds, hence the title)

-Lots of variety (One mode plays like an RPG, another is a basic RTS, and another is a fast paced shooter)

Seriously, check it out.

ULTROS! said:
Ys: The Oath in Felghana

felghana_screen2.jpg

One of my favorite games in the PSP. The game can last about 7-9 hours but it has incredible replay value. The battle system is simple and easy to understand yet it's fun and fast paced.

-Pyromaniac- said:
Jeanne D'arc

YmYOq.jpg
jeanne-d-arc-02.jpg

is a great level-5 SRPG based on real history! Errr sort of.

Ys Seven

KzOlb.jpg
xDPjQ.jpg

is a very fun action RPG with a decent story, but like I said most importantly is it's really fun. Undeniably so!

BiggNife said:
God of War: Chains of Olympus

god-of-war-chains-of-olympus.jpg

If you liked GoW on the PS2/PS3, you really need to pick this one up. It's my second favorite in the series next to GoW2, and probably the best 3D action game I've played on a portable system. If you haven't played a GoW before, you'll probably enjoy this if you're a fan of fast-paced action. It helps that it also has fantastic graphics. I haven't played Ghost of Sparta yet (I assume it's equal in terms of quality), but you can get CoO for $20 or less now so I highly recommend it.

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII

crisis-core-final-fantasy-vii-20070512014056916.jpg

To preface this choice: I'm actually not a big fan of Final Fantasy VII. However, I tried Crisis Core on a whim, and I ended up really enjoying it. It's a solid action RPG with a weird but entertaining combat system, and a story that ends up being much more focused than FFVII's (it's basically a character study of Zack). Don't let the fact that it's an FFVII game scare you; if you like action RPGs, chances are you'll like this game.

Mega Man: Powered Up and Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X

mega-man-powered-up--20060313011750520.jpg

sc003.jpg

Both games are excellent remakes of classic 2D platformers (Mega Man 1 and Mega Man X1). Powered Up has more content due to being able to play the game with any robot master as well as a level creator, but I'm a big fan of MHX mainly because MMX is one of my favorite games ever. You can find both for extremely cheap (probably ten bucks), so definitely take a look.

Massa said:
Hot Shots Tennis

hot-shots-tennis-get-a-grip-20100624012642322_640w.jpg

Incredibly addictive gameplay with charming presentation.

Killzone: Liberation

killzone-liberation-20060510112326697_640w.jpg

By far the best shooter on the system.

Gran Turismo

gran-turismo-20090901111356863_640w.jpg

Even after GT5 I still load this baby up on my PSP to finish off S-ranking the tracks or getting Gold on the license tests. Amazing game.

Jigsaw said:
Ys 7

ys719fp3.png
ys72zh8q.png

it's zelda,on crack...good story with charming characters,big overworld,towns,dungeons,tools to solve puzzles,screen filling bosses,plenty of sidequests,7 different playable characters (tank,mage,archer etc) and the fastest battle system i've ever seen in any rpg

ys 3 oath and ys 6 ark are good games too but very different gameplay-wise (no party,very linear dungeoncrawlers with almost no overworld or sidequests)

i liked ys 7 the most,if you are only remotely interested in zelda-like games you will love it

djtiesto said:
EVERY EXTEND EXTRA

every-extend-extra-20060728031840020.jpg
every-extend-extra-20060825114429371.jpg

This is probably my favorite game on the PSP, it's got a unique gameplay mechanic where you're blowing your ship up to create chains in order to collect a high-enough score to get an "extend", i.e. another chance at blowing your ship up. It's much better than the XBLA game btw.

It features:
-Game by Tetsuya Mizuguchi, of Rez, Lumines, and Space Channel 5 fame
-Psychedelic graphics and beautiful backgrounds
-A hard, loopy techno soundtrack
-An innovative concept, perfect for pick-up-and-play fun
-Plus you can buy it for under $10

Corto said:
PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe

gati_hard_1_1-620x.jpg

The ultimate version of the game. The Deluxe is there in the title for a reason... ;) New levels, new challenges and an online co-op multiplayer mode. If you want a tower defense game on the go, look no further.

Motorstorm Arctic Edge

arcticedge082809.jpg

A great arcade racer with great sense of speed, and not so punishing as the console big brother, at least until 6th level. A little repetitive track wise, but great fun and very much suitable to short gameplay sessions with one race lasting 3-5 minutes max.

Super Stardust Portable

ssp.jpg

Great Shooter as the PS3 version. Gorgeous graphics and the controls are very well implemented in the PSP, even if it lacks the second analogue. The difficulty is better balanced in the portable version so you can get to the end of the game a little easier but still with some challenge.

Dissidia Final Fantasy

final-fantasy-dissidia-20080626021311737_640w.jpg

Final Fantasy Fighter with eye candy graphics and a great number of the well known characters from the series. An RPG/Fighter hybrid that will give you dozens of hours of content.

Cladun: This is an RPG

CLADUN-5.jpg

A retro style dungeon crawler with beautiful sprites that even gives the choice to listen to a 8 bit soundtrack on top of the old school graphics. It has an original mechanic where other party members form a Magic Circle where their abbillities/stats buff your own character stats in order to give you an edge when fighting your enemies. Great dialogue also...

Patapon 2

image.jpg

Pata Pata Pata Pon Pata Pata Pata Pon Pon Pon Pata Pon FEEEEVER

R Type Delta

rtype2lvl1.jpg

A classic of the PSOne. The best testimony I can give to this game is that the next two weeks following my buy I couldn't play another game. Soooooo good! They don't make shooters like this any more.

Ratrat said:
Legend of Heroes FC&SC

legend-of-two-umds-20070418062400683_640w.jpg

Theres an incredibly intrusive anime story with unending dialogue scenes but the gameplay is strategic fun. Also the environments are very well crafted, music is pretty good.

rainking187 said:
Popolocrois
2eq5d8l.jpg

It's a pretty adorable light hearted RPG, with great characters, and an interesting story.

RelentlessRolento said:
No Heroes Allowed

No-heroes-allowed-2.jpg

The first two games were flawed heavily by unbalanced ecosystems but this third one perfects everything. Very much a game where you feel smarter over time.

-Emphasis on ecosystem and smart thinking
-Very skill based (first 30 min won't feel like it though)
-puzzle mode built in with daily puzzles
-can save game at any time for breaks

It's a very tough game but entirely worth it. Like monster hunter it's one of the few games I feel like "the shit" when I beat a level

Plus it's 9.99 and the sound and design kick ass

Eye of Judgment

26045_thumbzoom.jpg

Great game where the AI is always a bit smarter than you.

- Long game with actually strong universal wiki and back story; great art/comic style cutscenes
-lots to unlock
-great multiple deck customization
-online and local multiplayer

It's price is high now on PSN but I got it for sale at $14.99. You can get a euro umd copy for cheap though. Play the demo first though since it unlocks cards you can't unlock in the full game.

I still play it alot.

Patchwork Heroes

47821-168524-500xpatchworkheroesjpg-noscale.jpg

Fun story and nothing else on the market like it. Great style and super tense once you get into the game.

-Nothing like it
-cute story
-alot of challenge in a tight package

Kenak said:
All of these listed are available on PSN:

GTA: Liberty City Stories
RIXrY.jpg

I (accidentally) bought Liberty City Stories instead of Vice City Ctories, and I've heard VCS is better. But anyhow, LCS is a slimmed down variant of the PS2 title, but still very enjoyable. It has a good short mission structure that fits the handheld nature of the game quite nicely.

Persona 3 Portable
2CL5g.jpg

Turn based RPG where you use monsters that you find and fuse together in battle called personas. You spend the day time at school doing whatever, and night time dungeon crawling. Monsters roam the halls in the dungeon, and you run around the randomly generated levels that all look the same for the most part. Has the bonus of a female story over the PS2 versions.

Wipeout Pulse
pDxY5.jpg

Great racer. A little difficult, but pretty satisfying once you get the hang of it.

Valkyria Chronicles II
HvOvN.jpg

SRPG where you take turn commanding units, moving them through the battle field and attacking enemies. Has voice overs for main cut scenes and a very nice visual style.

Allan Holdsworth said:
Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles

2276458063_fc4850f767.jpg
castlevania-the-dracula-x-chronicles-20070827020522474_640w.jpg

Remake of CV Rondo of Blood. I wouldn't say it's better than the original, but it does have some differences if you're tired of playing RoB.

Minsc said:
Don't forget to mention it has the original game of RoB included as well, and most importantly a new version of SotN (with a playable Maria, new script, and redone VA, some better and worse)! :)

There's a good review of it here.

Goku Makaimura Kai

Foto+Goku+Makaimura+Kai+(Japon%E9s).jpg
kaiss.jpg

Japanese-only update to Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins. Much less focus on exploration. Limited continues, but you can get more by collecting three rings and they respawn when you die so it's not an issue. Also includes the original version if you want to torture yourself.

Thexder Neo

thexder-neo-screens-20090917093108557_640w.jpg
thexder-neo-screens-20090917093107916_640w.jpg

Mix between shmup and run n gun. Somewhat similiar to Bangaio. Difficult game at first, easy mode is there for a reason. Once you get the hang on it, it's not much trouble to beat the game on Normal. Not the longest game, but it's also $10. I have never played the original, so I don't know how it compares.

Crakatak187 said:
Disgaea Afternoon of Darkness.

disgaea-afternoon-of-darkness.331806.jpg
21.jpg

A SRPG that has a lot of lighthearted humor. There is a lot of things to do in this game if you are a fan of stats grinding. Prepare to sink a lot of time into the item world.

Hamblasto said:
Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA

Ol1J4.jpg

If you happen to be a fan of Vocaloids, the Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA games are definitely worth importing (even at steep import prices).

Project DIVA and Project DIVA 2nd are both rhythm games and they are essentially a "greatest hits" collection of songs from various Vocaloid composers.

Gameplay-wise, the closest thing I can compare it to are the Ouendan games... except with far less crazy situations, but an equally awesome soundtrack (well, again, if you're into Vocaloids). Notes appear on screen and require pressing buttons in-time with the music.

If you have to pick up one, the sequel, PJD 2nd, refines the game's mechanics and fixes most of the problems from the first one. However, the first game may be worth picking up if you can find it cheap, since there are songs there that don't appear in PJD 2nd.

Kuran said:
Wild Arms XF

psp_wild_arms_01.jpg

Amazing turn based strategy with beautiful graphics, and a lot of challenge. A must-have if you have ever enjoyed games like Final Fantasy Tactics.

Tribute video I created with gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QpQqQ2oou8

R-Type Command

r-type-command-20080409101901017.jpg

Fantastic turn-based strategy game for fans of Nectaris/Military Madness. Hidden gem!
Great soundtrack, too.

Monster Hunter Series

Monster-Hunter-Portable-3-01.jpg

I suggest waiting for the western release for 3rd, but you have to know that this is for millions of people the sole excuse for owning a PSP, and for a reason. It's legendary.

Check out this promotional footage from the first Monster Hunter, I think it perfectly embodies the spirit of the series, and its seeing this footage way back that got me hooked on this franchise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q7Jha71SMc

Jay Sosa said:
GTA: Chinatown Wars

grand-theft-auto-chinatown-wars-iphone.jpg

The driving takes some getting used to but besides that it's everything people that like the PS2 GTAs are looking for. There are rampages, sidemissions, awesome characters, superb and humourous dialogues, races and whats most important a big variety when it comes to the main storyline missions. But what really needs to be implemented in the next home console GTA is the highly addictive drug trafficking. I haven't played a mission in a few hours, only sold some acid, weed and coke (no heroin, don't sell that shit :D)

GTA: Vice City Stories

grand-theft-auto-vice-city-stories-20061003022153218.jpg

To keep things short: It's my second favorite GTA (right after SA with GTA 4 being last)
It's surprisingly long for a PSP game, graphics are good, there are some slowdowns (like in almost every PS2/PSP GTA, OST is excellent, the MC maybe the second best in any game of the series and it adds some nice elements like taking over businesses to get some extra money. However I only played this on the PS2. I'm pretty sure they didn't change anything, but keep that in mind.
Popolocroisis looks and sound awesome think that's gonna be my next RPG.

StuBurns said:
Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep

Ven_Wingblade.jpg

A prequel to the Action-RPG series. It features three lengthy and intermingled campaigns, following the three lead characters, each being a host to slightly different tasks, and featuring different combat styles. Not as fine tuned in terms of difficulty as the original, but not as easy as number two. For me it has the most refined gameplay in the series, and is the best action game on PSP. The story is entirely nonsensical and completely forgettable as is the series tradition since the second game.

God of War: Ghost of Sparta

gowgospic2.jpg

Easily the best looking game on PSP currently. Short but sweet, the game gives you a very entertaining slice of action you've come to expect from the series. What little story that is present is quite enjoyable, it dives deeper into the source of Kratos' dysfunction and provides a hint at God life, something GoW2 cheaply denied us. It also at last brought the series to Atlantis, something they had intended since the first game.

Jinko said:
Hexyz Force

Cliche turn based JRPG goodness.

hexyz-force1275938857.jpg
new-atlus-hexyz-force-psp-rpg011275938862.jpg

Jazzem said:
Prinny: Can I really be the Hero?

prinny1.jpg

An excellent old school platformer with a hilarious sense of humour, tight controls/level design and a surprisingly strong soundtrack. Some folks aren't fond of the way you can't control your jumps after you leave the ground, but honestly it doesn't take long to get used to and the game is designed to accommodate it anyway. Plus it's super cheap on the UK PSN at least (can't be too much on the US one), if you enjoy this sort of game it's a must.

Lime said:
Valkyrie Profile

valkyrie-profile-lenneth-20060628063934621-000.jpg

One of the best RPGs you're going to play, *if* you use a non-spoiler FAQ for obtaining the good ending. The combat system is excellent, there's platforming, the story is good, the Japanese take on Norse mythology is interesting, and each little story for a party character is well executed. And the Yoshinari brothers' character art displayed in cutscenes/conversations is some of the best the genre has seen. E.g. (Dresden, feel free to cut it away in your OP):

vp-lenneth10.jpg

StuBurns

Banned
Kingdom Hearts - Birth By Sleep

KHsleep_1.jpg

This is an action game, it's very fun, it's quite long if you play all three campaigns. It's not exactly well tuned, but it's challenging enough at time, I also think it's the best looking game on PSP.

I'll also just throw out Tetris from EA which is amazing.

I'll recommend against MGS Peace Walker, I think it's terrible.

GhaleonQ

People will catch most of the good stuff, but I'll add the tons of Konami shoot-'em-up compilations (Parodius especially) and Capcom fighting game compilations.

Minsc

Gold Member

tactics01.jpg

Looking to be the best SRPG ever made. TO beautifully remade with (almost) all the innovations that have been brought to the series/genre since it's original release (where they were lacking). Combat gets a complete makeover, and there's content galore, including achievements!

Youtube video showing all sorts of status/configuration/battle screen. Pre-order thread & classes/narrative thread (with my pic showing how crazy the branching story is and the large number of missions).

Also, Nirolak's thread of 2011 titles w/ pics & descriptions.

Ledsen

I'll update the OP with people's replies if this thread gets going!

foobarry81 said:

Thanks, but the first one hasn't been updated since february 2008, and the second one is only for games released in 2010. That's kind of why I made this thread :)
´
Minsc said:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/oracrest/tactics01.jpg[/IG]

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxohFJdw1ow"]Youtube video[/URL] showing all sorts of status/configuration/battle screen. [URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=413526"]Pre-order thread[/URL] & [URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418671"]classes/narrative thread[/URL] (with my pic showing how crazy the branching story is and the large number of missions).

Also, [URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417424"][B]Nirolak's thread of 2011 titles[/B][/URL] w/ pics & descriptions.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'll drop the "upcoming" from this thread then since Nirolak covers that.

Then you should have asked "recommend me some upcoming games" instead of "which are the best past and upcoming games for the PSP" ;-)

Boney

Banned
Half Minute Hero

Best damn game for the platform. It's a parody on RPG's where every stage is a self contained quest spanning only a few minutes with 30 seconds to spare. It's fast, funny, and incredibly engrossing. Uses a beautiful pixelated art.

It also has 3 other modes that play around with the 30 second limit, which makes it an incredibly package.

Half-Minute-Hero.jpg

Ledsen

foobarry81 said:
Then you should have asked "recommend me some upcoming games" instead of "which are the best past and upcoming games for the PSP" ;-)

Actually I don't need upcoming recommendations because of Nirolak's thread, but there still is no up-to-date thread for general recommendations, so that'll be the purpose of this thread.

DaBuddaDa

Metal Gear Solid - Peace Walker (MGS5):

l1T7N.jpg

Joystiq said:
Through and through, Peace Walker is easily the best game on Sony's handheld, and walks all over some of great console games I've played, too.
IGN said:
This game is insanely deep...a masterpiece. Not only is it in the running for the title of greatest game ever on the PSP, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker is one of the greatest games in the entire Metal Gear franchise.
Edge said:
Peerlessly classy, funny and perverse in the same breath, Peace Walker is the most surprising Metal Gear Solid to date.
One of 2010's best, no doubt.

BiggNife

Boney said:
Half Minute Hero

Best damn game for the platform.

YES. I was just going to say this. I just played this game a couple of weeks ago and I'm pissed at myself for not buying it earlier. It's a fantastic game that everyone with a PSP should play.

As for why the game is good. It has:

-A Great sense of humor

-A really neat-looking 8-bit art style

-Extremely clever gameplay mechanics (every level must be completed in 30 seconds, hence the title)

-Lots of variety (One mode plays like an RPG, another is a basic RTS, and another is a fast paced shooter)

Half-Minute-Hero-001.jpg

halfminute1118.jpg

Seriously, check it out.

btkadams

maaan ive been holding out on buying a psp for the past year because i've been thinking the psp2 was going to be announced. mine was stolen in like 08. i really desperately hope that the psp2 is backwards compatible so i can dl some of these awesome games.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
felghana_screen2.jpg

Ys: The Oath in Felghana

One of my favorite games in the PSP. The game can last about 7-9 hours but it has incredible replay value. The battle system is simple and easy to understand yet it's fun and fast paced.

Jeanne D'arc is a great level-5 SRPG based on real history! Errr sort of:

YmYOq.jpg
jeanne-d-arc-02.jpg

Ys Seven is a very fun action RPG with a decent story, but like I said most importantly is it's really fun. Undeniably so!:

KzOlb.jpg
xDPjQ.jpg

BiggNife

Some other games that haven't been mentioned yet:

God of War: Chains of Olympus: If you liked GoW on the PS2/PS3, you really need to pick this one up. It's my second favorite in the series next to GoW2, and probably the best 3D action game I've played on a portable system. If you haven't played a GoW before, you'll probably enjoy this if you're a fan of fast-paced action. It helps that it also has fantastic graphics. I haven't played Ghost of Sparta yet (I assume it's equal in terms of quality), but you can get CoO for $20 or less now so I highly recommend it.

god-of-war-chains-of-olympus.jpg

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII: To preface this choice: I'm actually not a big fan of Final Fantasy VII. However, I tried Crisis Core on a whim, and I ended up really enjoying it. It's a solid action RPG with a weird but entertaining combat system, and a story that ends up being much more focused than FFVII's (it's basically a character study of Zack). Don't let the fact that it's an FFVII game scare you; if you like action RPGs, chances are you'll like this game.

crisis-core-final-fantasy-vii-20070512014056916.jpg

Mega Man: Powered Up and Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X: Both games are excellent remakes of classic 2D platformers (Mega Man 1 and Mega Man X1). Powered Up has more content due to being able to play the game with any robot master as well as a level creator, but I'm a big fan of MHX mainly because MMX is one of my favorite games ever. You can find both for extremely cheap (probably ten bucks), so definitely take a look.

mega-man-powered-up--20060313011750520.jpg

sc003.jpg

It's hard to find good screenshots of these games, but trust me: they look much better in motion.

P3P and KH: BbS have already been mentioned, so I'll second those recommendations

StuBurns

Banned
Megaman is 60fps and has really super responsive controls, feels great.

Crisis Core is an interesting choice, I know it has a few vocal haters on GAF, but I like the little side missions a lot, a nice addition to a portable game.

And I think Ghost of Sparta is way better than Chains of Olympus, so I'll recommend that, although I still prefer BBS.

theBishop

Banned
The well-known games are well-known for a reason. God of War and GTA and MGS are obviously mandatory.

But here are some lesser-known games that also deserve attention:

field-commander.jpg

Well-received at the time, but mostly forgotten now. This is possibly the only respectable portable turn-based strategy outside of Advance Wars. And the only one in 3D. It featured some great online modes, but today you can play it through Pass-the-PSP mode if you can't find online opponents.

Syphon%20Filter-Logans%20Shadow%20Box%20Art.jpg

The best PSP has to offer in the "shooter" category. A great balance between what we now know as the Gears formula of cover-based action, and the more deliberate stealth of Splinter Cell. The mechanics and the firepower on-hand give you flexibility to play the way you prefer. There's no "oh shit, detected" replaying. You can blast your way out of most situations if necessary. Dark Mirror does a few things better (Taze people on FIRE!), but Logan's Shadow is the bigger better game.

Killzone_Liberation_psp_box2.jpg

Huge production values, innovative top-down shooter mechanics (with cover!), perfectly-realized tactical AI mechanics. This game put Guerrilla on the map in my opinion.

252px-Pursuit_Force.jpg

Unlike the other games here, Pursuit Force is sadly a flawed game. It has good driving controls, and passable shooting controls, but the on-foot stuff is a clusterfuck. And the missions become repetitive over the course of the game. But the concept is too good, so much unrealized potential that it should not be forgotten. An HD version or even a PSP2 version with dual-analog controls could be a stunner.

Looking back, it's easy to see that PSP was the first Playstation platform that Sony carried as a first-party. PS1 and PS2 both had great Sony-published titles, but I don't think they were forced to innovate internally prior to PSP. The amazing PS3 lineup this year has its roots in the PSP software strategy.

Massa

Hot Shots Tennis

Incredibly addictive gameplay with charming presentation.

hot-shots-tennis-get-a-grip-20100624012642322_640w.jpg

Killzone: Liberation

By far the best shooter on the system.

killzone-liberation-20060510112326697_640w.jpg

Gran Turismo

Even after GT5 I still load this baby up on my PSP to finish off S-ranking the tracks or getting Gold on the license tests. Amazing game.

gran-turismo-20090901111356863_640w.jpg

mandiller

I bought a PSP Go recently and I'm looking for some good games. I've never really been a MGS fan (I owned the GBC version and that's it....) but I tried out the Peace Walker demo and it seems really cool. The only thing is I heard that the game pretty much has to be played Co-op. I would only be playing it singleplayer. Do you think it will get too frustrating?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
theBishop said:
http://images.timnhanh.com/blog/image/field-commander.jpg

Given it's $10 on PSN he can buy that after the 10 free game deal.

OP: Remember Kingdom Hearts isn't on PSPGo unless you use HEN/backups of it. You can't get it for the 10 free games.

Check the catalog for games you want/see in this thread and see if you want to buy a Go. But honestly, the PSP-1000/2000/3000 is better until a perma-CFW happens for the Go.

Cool thread, I only have Peace Walker, PES and Lumines. I might pick up BBS if I get a job and KZ liberation/Logans Shadown. Shit there is a lot I would like to get actually and WHAT THE HELL IS THAT ^^

Blablurn

the first 15 minutes of kingdom hearts: birth by sleep's story was the biggest shit i've ever seen haha. but the combat in the tutorial seemed fun and i guess i will give it another try soon. especially because i finished KH 1 and 2 and havent played any of these games for the last 3 or 4 years.

persona 3... oh lord... it's the first persona i'm really playing (i played a couple of P4 but i didn't pay real attention back then) and it's a blast. great story, great mechanics and solid graphics. awesome.

when i finished god of war: ghost of sparta i was like "what the hell did i just play? is this really just a handheld game?"

another must have is peace walker. even if you're not into metal gear games. this one will blow your mind.

Jigsaw

Banned
ys seven

ys719fp3.png

ys72zh8q.png

it's zelda,on crack...good story with charming characters,big overworld,towns,dungeons,tools to solve puzzles,screen filling bosses,plenty of sidequests,7 different playable characters (tank,mage,archer etc) and the fastest battle system i've ever seen in any rpg

ys 3 oath and ys 6 ark are good games too but very different gameplay-wise (no party,very linear dungeoncrawlers with almost no overworld or sidequests)

i liked ys 7 the most,if you are only remotely interested in zelda-like games you will love it

Ledsen

Thanks for all the recommendations! I put the ones that had a screenshot and description in the OP. They're not ordered alphabetically or anything, simply quoted from the original recommender and formatted to look the same. I hope it works ok :)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
EVERY EXTEND EXTRA

This is probably my favorite game on the PSP, it's got a unique gameplay mechanic where you're blowing your ship up to create chains in order to collect a high-enough score to get an "extend", i.e. another chance at blowing your ship up. It's much better than the XBLA game btw.

It features:

Screens:

every-extend-extra-20060728031840020.jpg

every-extend-extra-20060825114429371.jpg

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
BiggNife said:
I haven't played Ghost of Sparta yet (I assume it's equal in terms of quality), but you can get CoO for $20 or less now so I highly recommend it.

Ghost of Sparta is way better than Chains of Olympus, really.

Trent Strong said:
Silent Hill: shattered memories if you don't have a Wii. It's a good game.

It's a terrible game and shouldn't be recommended to anyone.

djtiesto said:
EVERY EXTEND EXTRA

It features:

Dare I say, superior to E4.

Corto

PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe:

The ultimate version of the game. The Deluxe is there in the title for a reason... ;) New levels, new challenges and an online co-op multiplayer mode. If you want a tower defense game on the go, look no further.

gati_hard_1_1-620x.jpg

Motorstorm Arctic Edge:

A great arcade racer with great sense of speed, and not so punishing as the console big brother, at least until 6th level. A little repetitive track wise, but great fun and very much suitable to short gameplay sessions with one race lasting 3-5 minutes max.

arcticedge082809.jpg

Super Stardust Portable:

Great Shooter as the PS3 version. Gorgeous graphics and the controls are very well implemented in the PSP, even if it lacks the second analogue. The difficulty is better balanced in the portable version so you can get to the end of the game a little easier but still with some challenge.

ssp.jpg

Dissidia Final Fantasy:

Final Fantasy Fighter with eye candy graphics and a great number of the well known characters from the series. An RPG/Fighter hybrid that will give you dozens of hours of content.

final-fantasy-dissidia-20080626021311737_640w.jpg

Cladun: This is an RPG:

A retro style dungeon crawler with beautiful sprites that even gives the choice to listen to a 8 bit soundtrack on top of the old school graphics. It has an original mechanic where other party members form a Magic Circle where their abbillities/stats buff your own character stats in order to give you an edge when fighting your enemies. Great dialogue also...

CLADUN-5.jpg

Patapon 2

Pata Pata Pata Pon Pata Pata Pata Pon Pon Pon Pata Pon FEEEEVER

image.jpg

best game on the system

R Type Delta:

A classic of the PSOne. The best testimony I can give to this game is that the next two weeks following my buy I couldn't play another game. Soooooo good! They don't make shooters like this any more.

rtype2lvl1.jpg

KAL2006

Banned
has anyone played Lunar Silver Star Harmony, I haven't ever played a Lunar game before but watching videos of this it looks great, classic 2D RPG

Ledsen

So there are a lot of games that have been recommended but not put in the OP because they didn't have a screenshot or text or didn't fit the format in some other way, and I can't be arsed to look them all up myself. You're welcome to recommend them again:

MGS: Peace Walker
Persona 3 Portable
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep
Field Commander
Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow
Pursuit Force
Resistance: Retribution
Coded Arms: Contagion
Gitaroo Man
Bounty Hounds

Top Bottom