• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Year End Strategy Conference (JP): Dissidia dated, ad-hoc megaton, etc

M.A.C.H. and Ace Combat will be awesome with this feature. Both those games needed online. M.A.C.H. is great fun in multiplayer, like a jet-powered Crimson Skies.

Hmm, and online Virtua Tennis...and if anyone is interested, a wonderful-but-dedicated league of Armored Core: Formula Front can now occur!

01.jpg

A near-launch title and still one of the greatest-looking games on the system. I hold this one close to my withered old heart. Great game.

Wurm

Banned
This is truly TRULY awesome stuff. Capcom and Sega need to ensure that Monster Hunter 2nd G and PSUP get released in the west with support for this feature. It would increase sales exponentially, at least in the west.

Linking PSN accounts to the PSP would be a master-stroke if they decided to do that. But I imagine they must be since theyre using the Playstation Store? If only Capcom had kept Monster Hunter on Sony consoles. Imagine the sheer addiction of a Monster Hunter 3 Portable + Console having crossover connection stuff. Would have been a serious sales apocalypse in Japan.

Using the PS3 and PSN as an x-link kai-alike for the PSP now pushes the service beyond Live now in my opinion. I did not ever expect to see this concept officially supported.

Wollan

*mind blown*

It's such a simple idea (and already being done to an extent on PCs).

Just flipping the switch to make this work globablly.. this is pretty freaking neat.

PS! I Hope the PS3 hub system allows for chat with a BT headset.

And also, PSP Store.
Finally.
Finally.

kuYuri

Wow, amazing news. The PSP PS Store is cool, but the ad-hoc online is the real megaton for me. Glad I got my PS3 and PSP. :D

Wollan

What's the latest Monster Hunter PSP release in the west? And, is any non-yet-released ones announced for the west?

yella

Wollan said:
What's the latest Monster Hunter PSP release in the west? And, is any non-yet-released ones announced for the west?
Currently, Monster Hunter Freedom 2 was the last released PSP Monster Hunter game. No other titles have been announced so far, but everyone who plays MH is hoping that 2nd G is announced soon.

i'm glad after all these years sony is finally starting to pay attention to the psp.

i guess now that they have a clearer picture of what actually sells on the psp (gundam, SE stuff, and MH) , in japan, their stragtegy can be more focused to accommodate these types of games.

it wouldnt surprise me if the second title announce for the online ad-hoc is gundam vs gundam (dissidia might have a chance but I doubt it).

if sony can convince half of the MH players in japan to get a PS3 to use the adhoc feature, that would be a huge boost in sales.

the PSN store on the psp is probably a much bigger deal for the US and EU than JP. I can see stardust portable in the store when it comes out.

Zoe

At the launch of this network service, SCEJ will be releasing game content for the PSP system such as “Mainichi Issyo Portable,” developed for PSP from the original PS3 title of “Mainichi Issyo”.

Oh man, I need to make a gif of Toro waving his arms!

Cream will have to do for now:
kuri_right3_90.gif

So I'm sure Custom Firmware will be locked out of the Playstation Store. At least, at first, that is. That little aspect alone is another reason to potentially jump on the PSP 3000 ship and Official Firmware again.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Mr. Wonderful said:
So I'm sure Custom Firmware will be locked out of the Playstation Store. At least, at first, that is.

I think SCE let the hacker play while they were studying good counter-measures :).

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
Awesome news. I've put a few hundred hours into MHP2 and didn't want to buy extra hardware just to play it online - now I don't have to.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
PSN Store available directly through the PSP is the bigger announcement here, IMO, even if we knew it was a long time in coming. That, combined with the apparent commitment from SCEJ to ship future games via UMD and DD is really the direction the PSP needs to go.

The ad-hoc transformed to online via PS3 tethering is nice, but the obvious requirement of a PS3 is going to limit its overall impact as a feature.

Defuser

kaching said:
The ad-hoc transformed to online via PS3 tethering is nice, but the obvious requirement of a PS3 is going to limit its overall impact as a feature.
It's better than nothing.

zoku88

PS3 Online Network service? So, that's playing PSP games online with other people using the PS3 network?

<-- a little confused.

Yay for the store. Once it goes up, I'm finally getting Jeane d'Arc

yella

kaching said:
PSN Store available directly through the PSP is the bigger announcement here, IMO, even if we knew it was a long time in coming. That, combined with the apparent commitment from SCEJ to ship future games via UMD and DD is really the direction the PSP needs to go.

It should be obvious that this plan is in place to encourage people to buy PS3s. If I didn't already have one, this would have been a very compelling factor.
On a side note, is it just me, or does it seem like this is somewhat of an evolution over Nintendo's Gamecube/GBA compatibility in the previous gen? I don't want to derail the thread, just curious.

mollipen

Philanthropist said:
Hopefully this also means PS3 can become a WiFi access point for PSP to enable web browsing, PSP firmware updates and whatnot.

Can't you already? My PS3 shows up as a valid option when I'm asked to select the source of my internet connection.

Sweet news about the PSP playable online... but I'll wait to see how well it actually works in practice. How high is the level of gaijin protection on Monster Hunter 2nd G? I've got the original US release, and it's a fun game, so that might be something I'd look into if I can play it online with others. (Same now for Phantasy Star.)

theBishop

Banned
Hmm... the Ad Hoc thing sounds good for games that failed to support Infrastructure mode properly. But I hope it doesn't replace true online in PSP games.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Defuser said:
It's better than nothing.
Didn't say it wasn't.

yella said:
It should be obvious that this plan is in place to encourage people to buy PS3s. If I didn't already have one, this would have been a very compelling factor.
IDK, I'd be more inclined to say it's a way for Sony to make an endrun around limited support for actual online MP support in PSP games (aka infrastructure mode). Devs just haven't been able to justify the expense of hosting their own infrastructure for PSP online gaming. I don't think this move is going to significantly change the sales of the PS3 itself.

duckroll

FoxhoundNL said:
Online GTAs, Wipeout Pure, Lumines, Tekken DR, Burnout Dominator... Yes, I can live with that.

That makes no sense at all. All those games you listed have way superior multiplayer versions on the PS3. Well except for Lumines, which is on 360. Why would you sit at home and use your PSP to play inferior versions online instead?

Wurm

Banned
Being a custom firmware junkie, I wonder if the PSN Infastructure tunneling is going to be done simply on the PS3 side, or if its going to only be supported by official firmware on the PSP?

KZObsessed

Oh shit I completely missed this thread!

PSP Store?? oh shit, finally! I'd much prefer to have handheld games on a memory stick rather than swapping discs, hopefully they'll add a bunch of their back catalogue and new releases. And now there is more incentive for more PS1 games!

Playing PSP games online via PS3? Megaton! I wonder if they'll allow Ad-hoc co-op games to be played online now... like Killzone Liberation, the best game on PSP. And it looks like I'm definitely going to buy the next Monster Hunter game! :D This is awesome. I'm playing FF: Tactics now, having that online would be amazing!

Can you only play with people from your friend list? Or will it show you a list of people that are looking for a multiplayer game when you connect (lobby system of sorts)?

kassatsu

Banned
Now they just need to announce 2G for the West and I will start playing again. Phantasy Star would be nice too since I am playing a lot of that atm.

Gwanatu T

Incredible, this is one of the better announcements that I've seen recently, and definitely a good reason to pick up a PS3 if you've got a PSP. I've never had much luck getting the whole ad-hoc trick with my laptop working, and I've had friends try it and they haven't had luck either. I got it working once and it never worked again, so if this is a sure-fire thing the it's pure gold and an awesome decision on Sony's behalf.

depward

This is so awesome... especially since I just dropped some dough on an import Monster Hunter 2nd G PSP bundle... which is a PSP 2000 :(

But really, this is really exciting and may make me upgrade...

kenta

Has no PEINS
hm... Isn't Monster Hunter a group game, though? Even in ad-hoc, I thought the point was to get with a bunch of friends and go kill monsters. Which means this will likely be more than just a point-to-point thing where you select a friend on your PS3 to connect to. Makes me think they covertly spilled the beans on a Group/Clan/Party feature on the PS3. That way you could get a bunch of friends together in a group on the PS3, then just have the PSP connect to that group and voila

I know the Party thing has been mentioned in regards to Home, but I haven't seen anything about XMB

Kyoufu

kenta said:
hm... Isn't Monster Hunter a group game, though? Even in ad-hoc, I thought the point was to get with a bunch of friends and go kill monsters. Which means this will likely be more than just a point-to-point thing where you select a friend on your PS3 to connect to. Makes me think they covertly spilled the beans on a Group/Clan/Party feature on the PS3. That way you could get a bunch of friends together in a group on the PS3, then just have the PSP connect to that group and voila

I know the Party thing has been mentioned in regards to Home, but I haven't seen anything about XMB

Thats how free programs like Xlink Kai work. A hub where you gather with friends and then connect PSPs to each other online. If it works the same way on the PS3, I'm going to be ecstatic. Dissidia is on my list.

NomarTyme

kenta said:

Yes. On X-link we usually log on and play in a group of 2 or more(Max 4). We just talk about what we monster material we want and hunt a way. And incorporating something like a instant messenger, chat is pretty important. Also the use of blue tooth headset would be nice.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
WickedLaharl said:
damn. me and my 20gig are probably getting the shaft on this feature.
As a 20 gig owner I hope that we are not fucked out of this. I could really dig into Monster Hunter Freedom 2 then!

Top Bottom