• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP2 (Next Generation Portable) Announced, 2011, BC [Up3: Info In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipswitch

Man, this thing is a monster. This is the first handheld I've actually be tempted to buy since I got my DS phat. That having been said, $250 is the highest I'd consider paying for this and the odds of a purchase increase exponentially if it's priced at $199.

If they price it over $250, I think it'll be DOA.

Brashnir

Paco said:
The bolded was my problem with the PSP (yes, I had one for over two years). I hated how much of the PSP library was focused on shrinking the PS2/PS3 experience. No matter how powerful the PSP2 is a console-like experience will always be better on a TV.

I suppose the most disappointing part of this reveal is the software. I was really hoping to see something unique, but there's still a lot of time to launch. If the emphasis is on PS3 games on the go then definitely count me out.

While part of my frustration with the PSP was that the games were too home-console-like, the REAL problem was that they were home console games with (usually) broken controls.

This device at least has the control functionality to replicate a PS3/360 game pretty much perfectly, if the sticks are clickable. There's no L2/R2 buttons, but they could put those functions on the right/left side of the rear touch screen.

Jaagen

gofreak said:
I actually thought the Killzone game was among the less impressive ones shown - is it a remake of the original, or...? CPU is obviously going to constrain things in terms of scope and simulation complexity vs home systems, but on the visual side, I think his comment stands up with what we've seen. Some of those games looked virtually identical to PS3 counterparts (e.g. Wipeout).

Yeah, it kind of looked like shit. Really bland, and flat(I want to see direct feed captures, though) Gun model looked good, though.

dark10x said:
Wait, so I'm seeing that it will use small flash cards? Does this mean they will be selling software in store? I certainly hope so.

Yes, there will be games distributed both digitally and in stores, via regular game carts. So if you want to go in to a store, you can buy a physical copy. If you want to download a game, you can do that.

thuway

I HATE YOU GAF.

The two most important questions... no one HAS asked...

Will the PSP2 have Cross Game Chat?

If we start complaining now, I'm sure by launch they'll have something :).

Will this machine have the ability to play PS3 players online and/or an On Live setup to play PS3 remotely.

Tell me I'll be able to play Uncharted 3 multiplayer on my PSP2, and I'm sold.

I totally forgot about the unveiling. I like how powerful it is. I have few concern though, as some one pointed out i think the console is over engineered. It is good that you have more than one functionality but this looks like too many indignant will ruin the recipe kind of thing.

The price will most likely be insane. I personally think the back console touch pad is not needed. Was there a comment about battery life? I am afraid about that too.

3DS also has some problems, price i think is little bit higher and the screen should have been bigger.

thuway said:
I HATE YOU GAF.

The two most important questions... no one HAS asked...

Will the PSP2 have Cross Game Chat?

If we start complaining now, I'm sure by launch they'll have something :).

Will this machine have the ability to play PS3 players online and/or an On Live setup to play PS3 remotely.

Tell me I'll be able to play Uncharted 3 multiplayer on my PSP2, and I'm sold.

Why would you need play ps3 user online? It will be very useless functionality if added. there will be very few people using it plus ps4 might be coming out in year and half.

Their flash based game cards are interesting, it sounds as if the whole card is (theoretically) rewritable, with lots of room for downloadable content. Nintendo's roms in comparison, need a seperate little chip for a small amount of save data.

Even patches for games might be able to get added to the card itself.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I would have loved to have seen the shitstorm a small press release that read "3D, no glasses, $250" would have triggered following the NGP announcement, in an alternate universe where the 3DS was yet unannounced. The thread would have been insane.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
xtop said:
internal storage has been confirmed? i guess i missed that

My mistake, not confirmed. Im guessing since the French leak was spot on then it will have 16gb internal storage like they said.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The bolded was my problem with the PSP (yes, I had one for over two years). I hated how much of the PSP library was focused on shrinking the PS2/PS3 experience. No matter how powerful the PSP2 is a console-like experience will always be better on a TV.
Well, unlike last time, this system has the controls necessary to DEAL with this problem. The PSP simply didn't have the means to emulate console titles due to missing input options. The PSP2 is NOT going to have those issues.

Also, OLED screens are quite impressive to behold and the results you see here will likely be more impressive than most LCD screens people own. So while it will be smaller, you'll see superior motion handling and infinitely superior contrast ratio.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Amir0x said:
It's true.

The big problem (besides the inevitably too-high price) is the third party support. It was a huge error to not show third party support or at least a list of announced games.

I'd have liked to seen that reel, but we did get a good long list of developers confirmed to be making games for it. Which is something I guess.

I think maybe pubs are scheduling around e3 or gdc promotion - Sony might have got some vids, but perhaps not enough to satisfy. As Mario alluded, they jumped through hoops to get something ready, so maybe pubs didn't have a huge amount of notice and prefer to wait until later shows.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
Some people say that the 3d in the 3ds is much more exciting than the oled hd display on the NGP. But how exactly does it provide for better gameplay? How much more than a super crist screen does? Does it not emerge you just as much as a 3D effect would?

seems obvious they're holding back on game announcement. actually, they didn't officially announce any games at all. games like Uncharted, Hot Shots and Little Deviant are shown just to demo the capabilities, outside that, it's all just tech demo and showing support from 3rd parties.

I wonder why

Omiee

man i leave for a few hours and bam they show a awesome video of the games.
killzone looks good but uncharted looks amazing. i realy wish this makes it to europe or the us this year.

Router said:
My mistake, not confirmed. Im guessing since the French leak was spot on then it will have 16gb internal storage like they said.

Was wondering where that came from, but it's probably true. I think they only got the dimensions wrong, but that matched the slide design if the screen was 5" there too.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Considering it was just unveiled, I would wait until E3 until a more proper showcase from 3rd parties. Monster Hunter and CoD are kinda but though for the platform. I am far more impressed with this than the 3DS. And the software is not as fleshed out but the 3DS isn't exactly blowing my top in that regard either.

Actually PSP2 already getting MH is a pretty big slap in the face for Nintendo.I thought Capcom would wait a bit to decide where it will go, seems like Sony money decided for them.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
ajim said:
Thats one ugly looking machine.

But sign me the fuck up!
I know, right? Both of the new handhelds are ugly. The 3DS looks so bad that you'd swear it's a prototype (I mean, the blue model features multiple shades of blue AND black - a design nightmare).

So what exactly was the purpose of the PSPGo then?
Same as the GameBoy Micro and DSi XL, I suppose. One final form factor of a previous generation platform before the next generation arrives.

1-D_FTW

crazy monkey said:
I totally forgot about the unveiling. I like how powerful it is. I have few concern though, as some one pointed out i think the console is over engineered. It is good that you have more than one functionality but this looks like too many indignant will ruin the recipe kind of thing.

The price will most likely be insane. I personally think the back console touch pad is not needed. Was there a comment about battery life? I am afraid about that too.

3DS also has some problems, price i think is little bit higher and the screen should have been bigger.

I doubt it's costing a whole lot to add. And Little Deviants is the coolest title they showed IMO. I'd much rather manipulate the world with my fingers on the back that have to scrape it across the screen.

I say the more options the better. As long as they're selling the machine for a reasonable price (and not skimping on tech to boost the profit margin as high as they can), I say go for it.

DarkUSS said:
Why they call it NGP and not PSP2 right off the bat?
pondering if they should call it a PSP2 or give it another name to show off this revolutionary system. NGP is just a codename/placeholder unless they decide to keep it later on.. i expect the real name to come out during E3.

Meus Renaissance said:
So what exactly was the purpose of the PSPGo then?

Testing the digital waters, and a failed attempt at grabbing money.
PSPGo owners may be able to play their entire collection on PSP2, if it's as simple as it sounds.

Zoe

thuway said:

The PSP already has Remote Play. The bottleneck is the PS3, not the PSP.

glaurung said:
To phase out UMD.

I have to say, this has me second guessing whether I should keep buying stuff on UMD :(

Jea Song

Did the right thing
dark10x said:
I know, right? Both of the new handhelds are ugly. The 3DS looks so bad that you'd swear it's a prototype (I mean, the blue model features multiple shades of blue AND black - a design nightmare).

The revisions of them will make everyone super jealous and want to sell the first gens. They do this all the time. Bastards. :)

Still day 1.

Omiee

But by pressing on the rear touchpad, it appears as though players' fingers stick up underneath the terrain, altering the landscape.
So by moving one's fingers around, the landscape changes as new mountains are formed. But, if players stop touching the rear touchpad, the landscape returns to normal. It's a lot like putting your hand under a table cloth and moving it around a table.

man this sounds amazing, think of all the posibilities. everybody should read kotaku's hands on its pretty good.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
dark10x said:

Same as the GameBoy Micro and DSi XL, I suppose. One final form factor of a previous generation platform before the next generation arrives.
Why is it that only Apple hire designers with the authority to make their hardware look something resembling edgy and cool?

The PSP2 isn't great, but next to the abominable 3DS it looks like an iPhone 4.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Wait...am I the only one who prefers stylus touch screens over finger touch screens?
I hate using my fingers, it always feels so imprecise and seems like my hand covers half the screen, while I can comfortably use a stylus at an angle.

sajj316

crazy monkey said:
Why would you need play ps3 user online? It will be very useless functionality if added. there will be very few people using it plus ps4 might be coming out in year and half.
Why not? Kaz did mention Cross Platform as one of their talking points. Kojima mentioned this vision in his speech and although that be specific to a single player game, I can see COD NGP and COD PS3 in the same multi player session. This is a value add.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Callibretto said:
seems obvious they're holding back on game announcement. actually, they didn't officially announce any games at all. games like Uncharted, Hot Shots and Little Deviant are shown just to demo the capabilities, outside that, it's all just tech demo and showing support from 3rd parties.

I wonder why

Game announcements will come at GDC. This was only ever going to be a hardware announcement.

Don

Relaxed Muscle said:
Actually PSP2 already getting MH is a pretty big slap in the face for Nintendo.I thought Capcom would wait a bit to decide where it will go, seems like Sony money decided for them.
They didn't announce a new Monster Hunter. That was just the PSP version of Portable 3rd being played on the NGP, but with dual analogue stick support.

Jaagen

dark10x said:

The black around the screen on the 3DS is probably there for the sake of the 3D effect. It was discussed in another thread.

But I agree. The PSP-3000 and the DSi looks far superior to their next-gen cousins.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
BattleMonkey said:
Hardware revision, it still was just a PSP

Exactly, a lot of people don't seem to understand this, it was just a simple revision to test the DD waters, it was never going to be a big success because as you say, it was just a PSP at the end of day, and one that didn't have a UMD slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom