• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP2 (Next Generation Portable) Announced, 2011, BC [Up3: Info In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zoe said:
The PSP already has Remote Play. The bottleneck is the PS3, not the PSP.

I have to say, this has me second guessing whether I should keep buying stuff on UMD :(

It's awkward because I don't think they've said anything about the entire online library being available yet. The resolution they went with suggests they built in with BC in mind though.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
The_Technomancer said:
Wait...am I the only one who prefers stylus touch screens over finger touch screens?
I hate using my fingers, it always feels so imprecise and seems like my hand covers half the screen, while I can comfortably use a stylus at an angle.

Get with the times bud. Sylus gamming is so 2006.

oh wait.....3ds..nvm.

Erebus

Zoe

sajj316 said:
Why not? Kaz did mention Cross Platform as one of their talking points. Kojima mentioned this vision in his speech and although that be specific to a single player game, I can see COD NGP and COD PS3 in the same multi player session. This is a value add.

Too bad Valve isn't listed under developer support.

Sydle

gofreak said:
Little Deviants isn't unique?

The Uncharted demo I think very clearly showed a new type of experience vs how you play Uncharted at home. I had the same problem as you with PSP, but I'm genuinely excited to play that game.

I suppose LD is unique, however cumbersome. That didn't look comfortable at all. I thought the Uncharted demo was the worst offender of tacked on motion controls - it reeks of early day six-axis BS.

Don't want to rain on the parade any more, will just exit for now.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Jea Song said:
Some people say that the 3d in the 3ds is much more exciting than the oled hd display on the NGP. But how exactly does it provide for better gameplay? How much more than a super crist screen does? Does it not emerge you just as much as a 3D effect would?
The 3D effect is as gimmicky as the motion effect on this new PSP. I wouldn't use that as a crutch. I'm getting a 3DS but for the games, not the 3D.

Paco said:
I suppose LD is unique, however cumbersome. That didn't look comfortable at all. I thought the Uncharted demo was the worst offender of tacked on motion controls - it reeks of early day six-axis BS.

Don't want to rain on the parade any more, will just exit for now.
You need to remember that it was just announced. You are raining on the parade unnecessarily. It's ok to have the opinion but this is way to soon to start scrutinizing this thing.

JudgeN

Can't wait to hear/see more of the OS, will be get more features then the PS3? You know universal custom soundtracks? Cross game chat? In game web browser? Lets hear about those features Sony.

ultron87

For some reason I find the fact that Sony is going to back to what is essentially a cartridge based format absolutely hilarious.

Router said:
16gb internal and SD cards.
Oh.

Well.

Fuck yeargh. I'm in 100% day one.

ultron87 said:
For some reason I find the fact that Sony is going to back to what is essentially a cartridge based format absolutely hilarious.

Cartridges, flash cards, whatever, that kinda stuff will ALWAYS be better for handhelds until people can come to terms with a fully-DD dedicated gaming machine. UMD was a huge mistake.

rager

Banned
The only problem I have with this thing is the size. It is huge! And now there are sensitive things all around it. Touch screen, sensors on the back, an no protection. I am sure they will sell those horrible huge hard cases like they did the with the psp, but I see alot of potential problems with a design like this will all of that tech.

But I still want it :)

LiquidMetal14

rager said:
The only problem I have with this thing is the size. It is huge! And now there are sensitive things all around it. Touch screen, sensors on the back, an no protection. I am sure they will sell those horrible huge hard cases like they did the with the psp, but I see alot of potential problems with a design like this will all of that tech.

But I still want it :)
It''s not that much bigger than a PSP. And it looks thinner, I could be wrong on that.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The_Technomancer said:
Wait...am I the only one who prefers stylus touch screens over finger touch screens?
I hate using my fingers, it always feels so imprecise and seems like my hand covers half the screen, while I can comfortably use a stylus at an angle.
It isn't about stylus versus fingers so much as it is about dated tech versus "I don't even have to think about it, the touch screen basically reads my mind omg I'm typing on a screen almost as fast as I do on a keyboard WTF is happening"

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
ultron87 said:
Why's that?

For portable play, carts are where it's at. The only reason they went UMD for PSP was simply because, at the time, it was unreasonable to produce carts with 1.5gb of storage space.

Times have chanced and it has become quite possible.

03sho

03sho said:
Wait... Did they say if the 3G+Wifi is the only option or is there a wifi only model?

Just found this

Multiple versions of the NGP will launch from late 2011, each with Wi-Fi capability. Only one, however, will also feature 3G.
"The first thing to clarify, which I'm not sure the presentation did a perfect job of doing today, is that all of the devices will have Wi-Fi capability; a separate SKU will have 3G," House said.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Paco said:
I suppose LD is unique, however cumbersome.

Don't think it looked cumbersome. Especially with it apparently being lighter than the original PSP, and having back grips. Should be pretty comfortable to play the way he was.

Re. Uncharted, I actually liked most of what I saw, but horses for courses I guess.

hteng

Banned
yesssssss psp backwards compatible, now i can buy this and play SRWZ2!!

but.. wait... whats the forecast on release date for this?!

LiquidMetal14

dark10x said:
Why's that?

For portable play, carts are where it's at. The only reason they went UMD for PSP was simply because, at the time, it was unreasonable to produce carts with 1.5gb of storage space.

Times have chanced and it has become quite possible.
And cheaper than people think. I think everything I've seen and read except a few little things, have my expectation set to high. They delivered big time.

All I want to do is pre-order this and see what the difference in price will be for getting 3G. Is there some benefit outside of the online anywhere to 3G? Don't get me wrong, it's awesome but if I can save some money by getting just wifi then I'm all in.

I think having PSP titles is a great idea. Many, many titles will get really cheap till the end of the year. Just now I'm looking forward to play P3P, DJMP3, and Type-0 on NGP. Should go nicely with post-launch lack of releases.

vall03

hteng said:
yesssssss psp backwards compatible, now i can buy this and play SRWZ2!!

but.. wait... whats the forecast on release date for this?!
I think I missed this but what are the details on backwards compatibility?

Erebus

Router said:
Can you blame them for not wanting to associate it with the PSP?
While I don't blame them, it's really dumb that they're hiding behind the NGP codename. Why make it almost identical to the original PSP aesthetically, if they didn't want to associate it with that?

Jea Song

Did the right thing
Graphics Horse said:
UMDs were the joke, this is the punchline.

And good riddance of them too. Bastards shooting out of my psp, making loud sounds when loading, and felt odd at times that there is a spinning disc inside, with a laser. I hated umd.

LiquidMetal14

DarkUSS said:
While I don't blame them, it's really dumb that they're hiding behind the NGP codename. Why make it almost identical to the original PSP aesthetically, if they didn't want to associate it with that?
This is the splashy unveil. E3 will be the spot, no doubt. I do think they should find something other than Playstation Portable for this though.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Sold! A thousand times sold! All hail Nintendo and Sony! Our handheld gaming lords!

I await the "PSP2 is last gen" articles.

2San

Castor Krieg said:
I think having PSP titles is a great idea. Many, many titles will get really cheap till the end of the year. Just now I'm looking forward to play P3P, DJMP3, and Type-0 on NGP. Should go nicely with post-launch lack of releases.
Is Type-0 getting a PSN release? Might make this a day 1 for me if Type-0 is released here before the psp2. Considering that I don't have a PSP.

Kuran

Banned
2San said:
Is Type-0 getting a PSN release? Might make this a day 1 for me if Type-0 is released here before the psp2.

Probably, wasn't KH not released on PSN because of the Disney situation?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Some "friend" of mine just said that the PSP2 will fail because "it pretty much is impossible to market it properly because it does so much".

Oh, fanboys in denial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom