• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP2 (Next Generation Portable) Announced, 2011, BC [Up3: Info In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baki

The most impressive thing is the BC. I really did think they'd drop it. This is one of the few times were Sony has surpassed my expectations.

Philthy

This thing looks absolutely amazing.

I agree with the guy who said, take the highest price point of iPod Touch, and add a few hundred to that. This thing aint going to be cheap. $599 at the very minimum.

Dont give a shit for the speculated high price tag or lack of games during launch. Day 1 purchase for the tech package alone.

$499 Sony? Bring it :lol

Shadow780 said:
PSPGo was small enough.

And no one bought it

Willy105 said:
Where do you put it?

In a bag, carrying case, whatever is more comfortable than sticking a huge portable in my pants. The PSP was not very portable in design.

And people have no problem buying the XL DS either which is not really practical for pants

shintoki said:
I'm disappointed I didn't see any news on BC for PSP, but since they are going with Flash memory instead. It's understandable and preferred. The cards are really that much better for portable gaming. It also doesn't look like it made tremendous strides from the PSPVer 3, but again, it's still a vast improvement over what could have been. I can get over the lack of improve portability and no BC. But that software list is criminally bad. It was everything wrong with the PSP's line-up and it seems to be repeating once more.

it was not a software list announcement, almost all of it is just tech demo from select 3rd party. and the 1st party games shown are also picked to show the hardware's capabilities rather than officially announcing the game. Hot Shots Golf are simply called Next and Uncharted don't even have a title.

the actual game titles are shown in first party video reel and it show enough interesting new games like Little Deviant, Gravity Daze, Broken, and Smart As along with known ip like WipeOut, Killzone, Uncharted and Resistance.

overall I think it's a solid 1st party line up. we'll hear more about third party games at later date.

longdi said:
The spirit of Kutaragi lives, this thing is loaded with power!

Loaded with power? Yes. But does it have the spirit of Kutaragi? Not really. This is probably the most conservative approach possible. It's not a bad thing, but Kutaragi's first reaction was probably "No Cell mobile? Kaz, I am disappoint.

BattleMonkey said:
who puts a psp in their pocket?

I do sometimes...
A psp2 would fit too.

Baki said:
The most impressive thing is the BC. I really did think they'd drop it. This is one of the few times were Sony has surpassed my expectations.

Same here, I'm interested to know if there's any PSP hardware in there.

If this gives me the opportunity to leave my PS3 game and play it on NGP and continue my progress, that would be awesome. It's what people wanted from the original, and Portal 2 is kinda doing it with PC and PS3. Come on Sony, make this a feature and do it well!

asdad123

gutterboy44 said:
With the hardware specs it has and the extra storage most dev's leave on a PS3 blu ray, I can see 80$ PS3 games being sold that include the exact ported game for PSP2 so you can take your game on the go and then play it back on PS3 when home.

This is my ideal usage for this device. Would help me get back into RPG's. I would love to grind during my commutes then enjoy the story aspects when home. Hell this even works for GT5 hahah.

If that happens, I will gladly buy games for 80 (Most likely cheaper when waiting for sales or discounts on certain sites).

I dont remember the last time I paid 60 bucks for a new game. If you wait a couple weeks, most new releases can be had for $40

Deku

Banned
wsippel said:
The problem with this idea is that by that time, developers and publishers don't need some odd "Playstation certificate" anymore and Sony won't get a share. Then what?

The idea is to license legacy content to the mobile community at large. There's a vast back catalog of older PS2, and PS1 games that could be tapped for this.

I think NGP games on Andriod devices, 3-5 years down the road is way way too optimistic on the poster's part.

You also run into the issue that future mobile devices won't be able to support games on NGP that use the touchpad, and dual analog and may only be able to poorly emulate those inputs. so full compatability is not even guaranteed.

There's a reason they showed PS1 games, since more of them were designed to be playable without the dual shock.

More interesting for Sony isn't the back catalog, it is possible that games could be developed on Android devices that they can capitalize on with the Playstation Suite being a super platform of sorts.

It's funny that this triangulation strategy is exactly how I predicted they would attack the market.

The only hitch is that I didn't expect NGP to launch so late, likely 9-12 months behind 3DS and after iPhone5.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Them pretty handheld graphics. Not too shabby.
Now the elephant in the room; price. What will you do, Sony?

Salaadin

I put my PSP in a Playgear Pocket case and then into my pocket. There will probably be something similar here so its still pocketable.

Dennis

Banned
RpgN said:
NGP looks pretty, oval design looks slick and you could hold it more easily, we'll see. I'm really liking the new interface with background music behind it, the way the interface is designed reminds me of Nintendo's approach with the wii. More user friendly and inviting.

I'm surprised games will be stored on flashcard now, backwards compatibility with psp through psn, different SKU's without 3G. Sony commenting that the price will be affordable etc. It seems that Sony has learned some of its mistakes and is trying to give choice instead of forcing features on people and deciding wether to DD or retail is entirely up to you. If their management and implementation works out, then they might be able to hit the sweet spot and make it very attractive for all kinds of consumers.

Before reading the rumours a few days ago, I've never heard of OLED before or the use of touch screen through the back. With OLED I was interested but I wasn't sure if the rear touch screen was necessary. The demo with that little deviant (looking a bit like animal crossing kinda) made me more excited for the idea. And OLED looks sharp and gorgeous, this is absolutely worth going into that direction. I find OLED far more important than having 3D effect, from what we've seen so far, it only offer advantages and improvements. 3D is more like a gimmick to me and when I get a 3DS (whenever) it will be for games only.

Overall, I'm very excited from what I've seen of NGP today but I'm trying not to be hyped nor too excited. They're only going to show advantages and the bad reports will follow later (judging from what happened with the 3DS). The price is a big deal and it might become expensive, I hope they really mean it when they say they'll keep that in mind. And I hope Sony keeps its devices region free, that would be a big plus and big relieve. Also, from what we've all noticed, Sony is throwing a lot of features at you. It could work out great and awesome games with different input methods. But it could also go horribly wrong and throw complicated input methods on one game, or games not being taken advantage of. Lastly, the games seem to be tentitive titles (general killzone, wipeout etc). I hope they offcially announce those games and more. Gravity Daze (or something) looks very interesting, but I'm afraid it might be another one of those games that end up being cancelled like a certain ps3 game. When the ps3 was announced, there was one game that looked interesting to me with 2 girls that are agents and talking directly to the player, it's a shame it has been cancelled since. So, less hype and show the real thing please!

One thing is certain, Sony is very ambitious and going all out. I admire them for that and it makes me excited. Nintendo is holding back with technology on various things just because they're cheap and like to save costs. I was hoping they'd go more out.
But Nintendo won't sell at a loss like Sony, so that strategy alone prevents them from being as agressive on tech as Sony.

Personally, I am happy that the 3DS and the NGP turned out so different. It would have been very boring otherwise.

hyp

i wonder how much console-like games are going to cost. the indie/PSN type stuff seems more appealing to me on this device. not sure if i can swallow a $50 game unless it offers something entirely unique (ie. using all input methods)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Were the Gamespot and GameInformer Uncharted impressions posted?

http://www.gamespot.com/ngp/action/uncharted/news.html?sid=6287036&mode=previews

We got a taste of the gyro functionality in the device as we shifted our aim by physically moving the device. The gyro support was very responsive and worked best when we used smooth, deliberate movements which offered us very precise aiming.

Control in the demo made use of most of the controls on the NGP, analog sticks, touchscreen, face and shoulder buttons pretty smoothly. Although the demo required us to hop between different control mechanics, buttons, touchscreen, gyro, everything worked well together and felt right.

The visuals in the demo were ridiculously close to the original Uncharted on the PlayStation 3. The environmental detail was very high, as was the detail on Nathan who animated smoothly. Texture quality was extremely sharp and further complemented by the NGP's screen which was stunning from any angle. Most impressive was the game's framerate and camera movement, both of which were very smooth. The most nitpicking we can do is call out some minor aliasing bits on some plants and an odd texture or two, which are things you'd have to be looking for. Other than that, the game looks like Uncharted on the PS3 which isn't too shabby for a first-generation showcase of the NGP's power.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/01/27/hands-on-with-uncharted-for-ngp.aspx

The biggest and perhaps most surprising test for me was the demo's finale: using the gyroscope sensor to aim a rifle and shoot an enemy from afar. When I saw this on-stage, I thought it looked gimmicky and terrible. After trying it...well, it's definitely still gimmicky, but I was shocked at how well it worked.The gyroscopes are clearly extremely sensitive -- a slight tilt can send your view to the far left or right. It took a moment to get used to that sensitivity, but within seconds, I was able to successfully line up a shot.

If there's one series that's always brought out the graphics freak in me, it's Uncharted, and it seems like the NGP version will be no different in that regard. The demo took place in a gorgeous jungle setting similar to some of the areas from the first Uncharted. I wouldn't say it was quite on par with the visual quality of that game, but it didn't seem far off. In particular, I was very impressed by the animation. As with the console version, Drake moves through the environment realistically, breathing heavily as he pulls his weight onto cliffs and slouching impatiently if you let the game idle.

The game is being developed internally by Sony's Bend Studio -- the same team that made Resistance: Retribution and the PSP Syphon Filter games -- and Naughty Dog is overseeing the project to make sure that the gameplay and plot stay true to the series' high quality.

Dunno if Uncharted discussion should be split out into a thread or not - it seems to be the game with most exposure from the show.

Maleficence said:
If this gives me the opportunity to leave my PS3 game and play it on NGP and continue my progress, that would be awesome. It's what people wanted from the original, and Portal 2 is kinda doing it with PC and PS3. Come on Sony, make this a feature and do it well!

Yeah, as I said on the last page, this is the feature for me. I love the specs but if they allow pick up and go gaming with my PS3 titles I will be buying this day 1. I could also see this alleviate some of the dev costs for big name titles if releasing a 360/PS3 and PSP2 version are all practically identical. Make it happen sony.

O
brotkasten said:
Loaded with power? Yes. But does it have the spirit of Kutaragi? Not really. This is probably the most conservative approach possible. It's not a bad thing, but Kutaragi's first reaction was probably "No Cell mobile? Kaz, I am disappoint.
Sony have used off the shelf mobile components that taped out and full 2 years before launch. The core makeup of the system is a million miles away from anything Kutaragi ever designed.

-viper-

Banned
Willy105 said:
Where do you put it?
Who on earth would put a PSP in their pocket? It's like a brick.

Unless you want to achieve this look

baggy%20pants.jpg

ChryZ

It's a good looking device with pretty graphics, but the amount of control options is what makes it so damn awesome.

Shig said:
And it has some form of it.

Expecting it to magically do something with a physical format it clearly won't be able to even accept is sort of unreasonable, yeah.

That's a bad analogy; DVDs work just fine on Blu-ray players. It's more like expecting VHSes to work with DVD players. By what, osmosis?
Castor Krieg said:
Blu-Ray drives can play DVDs just fine. Or did you want them to magically upscale your DVDs to 1080p with no quality loss?
You're both right, it is a bad analogy as it's my own videophiledom (is that even a word?) that is compelling me to rebuy my favorite movies on Bluray but let's not pretend that this is fantastic news. Yes, UMDs are obsolete and terrible media for portables but Sony is the one who decided to down that road and I would have been nice if there were some way for them to extend support to those of us who were actually buying UMDs for all these years.

Like you say, Bluray is BC isn't it?

LCfiner

brotkasten said:

nah.

the most conservative approach would be a slightly upgraded PSP with the same input methods (well, add an extra analog), no 3G or GPS, a smaller size than this and the ability to sell at 200 to 250 at launch without losing money per unit.

this thing is taking a lot of risks: on size. on connectivity. on control inputs. most likely on price.

like another poster said: this is Sony doubling down on massive tech to win.

Yoboman said:
How sold would you be on PSP2 if Sony took a hint from Steam and made it so if you buy the game on one system you have it on both?

I've said before this is my system seller and from Kojima's words, it looks like it'll happen (I might be reading too much into it though).

DennisK4 said:
But Nintendo won't sell at a loss like Sony, so that strategy alone prevents them from being as agressive on tech as Sony.

Personally, I am happy that the 3DS and the NGP turned out so different. It would have been very boring otherwise.

Nintendo make cheap outdated shit so they can iterate on it slightly constantly to make big bucks. People buy into it so easily too, still the 3DS is probably the biggest change so far, and does look decent, but the draw of 3D is outdone by all the features in the NGP. The games are looking good so far too.

Deku

Banned
Have we figured out how the 3G is planned to work globally?

I assume we had to deal with local telcos for data plans?

BattleMonkey said:
who puts a psp in their pocket?
Well I'm not the one to ask since I wouldn't be caught dead playing a DS or PSP outside of the house.

If people don't put these in their pockets then how do they travel with them?

EDIT: I ask because in my experience analog sticks don't travel well. They are prone to taking abuse because they stick out, get snagged on stuff, get tilted and pressed hard in that position.

epic OP.

but hmm, i'm not sure if i want this thing.. not big on handhelds :/ and none of those games seemed interesting. some of the control mechanics looked fun though. now if Team Ico makes a game for this, or maybe a big beautiful WRPG (Mass Effect anyone?)... then i cannot resist.

Deku

Banned
Maleficence said:
Nintendo make cheap outdated shit so they can iterate on it slightly constantly to make big bucks. People buy into it so easily too, still the 3DS is probably the biggest change so far, and does look decent, but the draw of 3D is outdone by all the features in the NGP. The games are looking good so far too.

Feature for feature, NGP and 3DS are probably closer than DS to PSP.

But it's hard to have a rational discussion about things that are good enough vs. things that absolutely breaks the bank when it comes to Nintendo v Sony. People will take sides.

Brera

Banned
I'm hyped for the psp but what I always loved about handhelds was that they were the last bastion of 2D.

A portable PS3 isn't as appealing as a portable PS2 was 6 years ago. Same goes for the 3DS, I'm not too interested in any of the games presented by either side.

I'm definantly going to wait this one out and just get a 3DSi and a PSP2go in 18-24 months!

Both are clearly rushed! Sony probably saw the 3DS and thought sod spending cash on a redesign just like nintendo.

I like new toys that look cutting edge. Both nintendo and Sony have failed in that respect!

FoneBone

AranhaHunter said:
I've said before this is my system seller and from Kojima's words, it looks like it'll happen (I might be reading too much into it though).
I expect some games to offer it, but I can't see it being standardized for all games that are on both platforms.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
santi_yo said:
A SCEE guy just told me about the price. They are trying to make a 250-300$/€ miracle. Good news.

Would be amazing.

If I were in charge, I'd release it for $249 for a limited time. Raise the price soon after and let word of mouth sell the rest.

daoster

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Well I'm not the one to ask since I wouldn't be caught dead playing a DS or PSP outside of the house.

If people don't put these in their pockets then how do they travel with them?

If I'm on a plane or long car ride, usually in a backpack or bag?

AranhaHunter said:

it'll be case by case depending on the game. not all developer will want to do this because they have to basically make 2 version of the game. Kojima have the vision for it, even then he may be forced to sell the ps3 version and psp2 version separately.

Brera said:
I'm hyped for the psp but what I always loved about handhelds was that they were the last bastion of 2D.

A portable PS3 isn't as appealing as a portable PS2 was 6 years ago. Same goes for the 3DS, I'm not too interested in any of the games presented by either side.

I'm definantly going to wait this one out and just get a 3DSi and a PSP2go in 18-24 months!

Both are clearly rushed! Sony probably saw the 3DS and thought sod spending cash on a redesign just like nintendo.

I like new toys that look cutting edge. Both nintendo and Sony have failed in that respect!
The screen will be fantastic for 2d games.

Callibretto said:
it'll be case by case depending on the game. not all developer will want to do this because they have to basically make 2 version of the game. Kojima have the vision for it, even then he may be forced to sell the ps3 version and psp2 version separately.

Giving a download code for the opposite version seems plausible. I doubt it would include the media for both. You could even limit it to the same PSN account that registered it so it couldn't be abused too badly.

Deku said:

But it's hard to have a rational discussion about things that are good enough vs. things that absolutely breaks the bank when it comes to Nintendo v Sony. People will take sides.

I realise I said features, but I also meant the specs, as in system power etc.

Still, I suspect you're right.

Degen said:
I want it but I'm still not sold on the rear touchpad thing.

The idea behind little deviants sounds really cool, it's an interesting idea, I'd love to see what some creative devs could do with it tbh.

Durante

Deku said:
I don't really think so. Power? The difference is similar magnituse, maybe slightly less pronounced on the GPU side (maybe actually more pronounced on the CPU!). Input methods? NGP has all that 3DS plus tons more -- really an enormous variety. 3D? 3DS has it, NGP doesn't. They do use a similar physical distribution mechanism, I guess there's that.

brain_stew said:
The screen will be fantastic for everything.
Fixed. (Well, except reading if it's a PenTile layout)

I really want to see what 3rd party developers are cooking up for this. The hardware itself is amazing and really looks good, but I need to see more games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom