• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP2 (Next Generation Portable) Announced, 2011, BC [Up3: Info In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I am trying to figure out who the target audience is.

Other than Japanese people.

PSP BC! I knew it would happen! If this thing is under $400 and I have the cash, I'm so getting it day one.

Now why the hell can Sony do all this amazing PSN stuff for PSP2, but we still don't even have cross game voice chat on PS3. They better announce a new firmware update today. It's been so long since we've had a good one!

Empty

as i feared, it looks expensive and frightfully unportable given its size and likely bad battery life. still that screen looks gorgeous and flash carts, touch screen and dual analogues are a great start when it comes to hardware improvements.

The PSP sold at $250, with a $100 loss.

This will sell at a minimum, $350.

I'm disappointed with the design, it looks like an over sized PSP. And in a lot of the images the position of the hands look contorted.

Amazing power, but I can't see this selling any better than the PSP Go.

Jaagen

I think the Yakuza demo looked ugly, even though it's technically a generation above anything the 3DS can do. Must be the art design.

Edit: Yeah, it looks like it's a generation above the 3DS. Nowhere near the PS3 of course, but still it looks damn impressive.

seady

The tech is impressive and the games are promising.

But the hardware is ugly. What up with the d-pad/buttons connecting with the analog stick? The Playstation logo/font at the bottom looks so half-assed. The back is round?

They have a lot of time to polish it up though. The 3DS doesn't look too good in design neither.

jett

D-Member
Really disappointed that they went with the awful OG PSP design. Unportable portable ftl. The graphics look pretty crazy and the machine crazy expensive. Sony hasn't learned anything from the PS3 it seems.

Tailzo

Opus Angelorum said:
The PSP sold at $250, with a $100 loss.

This will sell at a minimum, $350.

I'm disappointed with the design, it looks like an over sized PSP. And in a lot of the images the position of the hands look contorted.

Amazing power, but I can't see this selling any better than the PSP Go.
Not better than PSP GO? This is a copletely new system, not a design update that can't play old games.

I know I'll buy it someday. Not sure when though. Might be too expensive. Or maybe I could get it for xmas.

wasnt the PSP launched at like $250?

Yes, in the U.S., with a memory card, case, earphones, and the like. There was a core system at the Japanese launch without all the extra stuff for 19,800 yen, or about $181. At any rate, it was much less expensive than originally predicted.

Shirokun

Dance In My Blood said:
I am trying to figure out who the target audience is.

Other than Japanese people.

The announced software thus far would make you wonder about that. It's definitely similar to the PS3 in more ways than one.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
From the other thread.

iSimon said:
sony-tokyo-event-1511.jpg

sony-tokyo-event-1512.jpg

sony-tokyo-event-1515.jpg

jett said:
Really disappointed that they went with the awful OG PSP design. Unportable portable ftl. The graphics look pretty crazy and the machine crazy expensive. Sony hasn't learned anything from the PS3 it seems.

Yeah I'm getting that vibe as well...I wish they would've stuck to the PSP's form factor...No doubt this will be expensive even with Sony tax.

FinKL

Dunno if you guys have been to a Fry's, but Sony has a OLED screen on demonstration that is so heavenly to look at. The price is $2,500 for 11 inches...

Vagabundo

What a horrible mess of control methods; dual analogue needs to die die die.

This is going to go the way of the PSP1.

Nice screen though. I'll pick one up when they are cheap - or like my current psp when I found it neglected under a chair in my mams. Maybe I can watch movies/browse the net on the thing or their might be some nice 2d games on it.

vazel

Banned
I hope Sony has learned something about pricing. But I'm going to start trading in some games to Amazon.com to build up credit just in case.

KaYotiX

Banned
so what Sony is giving us are games we already played to death on the PS3? SWEET!! Cant wait for GAF to explode at the price and battery life (or lack there of)

Danielsan

KaYotiX said:
so what Sony is giving us are games we already played to death on the PS3? SWEET!! Cant wait for GAF to explode at the price and battery life (or lack there of)
Almost sounds like the 3DS.

vantastic

DanteFox said:
sony-tokyo-event-1430-1296110915.jpg

once again Nintendo leads the way in industry hardware standards, and the rest follow.
get the hell out of here with that. what would have been your plan for the psp2 be then? should they have not had a touch screen at all so you could say "wait, no touch screen? nintendo laughing all the way to the bank again!"
i'm pretty sure that's what was on your mind.
edit: i also didn't know the 3ds had dual analogs

Erasus

I have a PSP but I have not given it that much love over the years. I am not that much of a portable gamer, got loads of PSP games I have not played. Will wait for this to drop in 2 years or something.

dream

Vagabundo said:
What a horrible mess of control methods; dual analogue needs to die die die.

You need to see the Uncharted demo. It was bordering on the absurd. Analog + buttons to move and shoot. You use the rear touch pad to climb. You use the front touch screen to draw a path for Nate to climb, then use the gyro to aim while he does the climbing.

It was seriously the most overdesigned shit I've ever seen in gaming.

Tiktaalik

I'm interested in how they're going to use the 3G technology, but overall, with the way they're presenting it, it seems like a PSP rehash and they're set to make many of the same mistakes in NA.

Will NA companies just make consolelike games and ports that people ignore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom