• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP2 (Next Generation Portable) Announced, 2011, BC [Up3: Info In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deku

Banned
I almost can't believe how close I pegged their strategy.

Android for the legacy stuff, and maybe foster a library of PS suite/PSP2 compatible games while launching a true successor to their PSP.

I wish I could find that post.

Hideo caveats that the clip was actually pulled straight from the PS3 version and rendered on the NGP, which is rendering it at 20 fps.

If content can just be pulled from the PS3 to the PSP2 like that (with minor modifications), I think that pretty heavily implies it's Cell-based.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
outunderthestars said:
sony-tokyo-event-1550.jpg

Really?

just for a frame of reference:

icarus5.jpg

Good enough for me, now where do I sign?

legend166

I'm sure it'll be a great system and receive plenty of great games, just like the PSP was and did.

But from a purely Sales-Age perspective, this thing is sort of mind blowing. It's like Sony looked at their PS3 strategy and said "Man, releasing an utter financial failure of a console and losing billions and billions of dollars sure was fun. Let's do that again."

I mean, it probably won't be as big a failure as the PS3 money wise, but it just baffles me they are basically reading from the same play book all over again.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
i can already picture EA salivating

Need For Speed: Shift REMIX
NBA Street: REMIX
Medal of Honor: REMIX

Firehead

Is it just me, or has Hideo's anti-aging charm worn off? Looks like he's under a bit of stress...

Edit:
Also, WipEout = Bought, for me.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
fur burger

The PSP2 better be the most advanced handheld. It's the one thing it's got going for it...the most advanced handheld. Let's see if it's not another PSP situation, I have a hard time seeing it making a dent compared to the 3DS. But those graphics did look real nice...

Jaagen

With Hideo talking about his vision of cross PSP2/PS3 play, is it then sure to assume that MGS:Rising will be announced for the PSP2 as well?

Acid08

Banned
I love MGS4 to death but I will just play the incredible PS3 version. It will look and control way better plus I won't have to play with whatever bullshit touch screen stuff they add.

Man, this is so disappointing.

Branduil

outunderthestars said:
sony-tokyo-event-1550.jpg

Really?

just for a frame of reference:

icarus5.jpg
The MGS4 shot looks quite a bit better than the previous one. I don't know why you're comparing one of the worst-looking 3DS games in screenshots to it though. And the games don't even have similar visual styles. Wouldn't RE be a better comparison? Or better yet, MGS3.

Danielsan

Why would you do that? said:
What is NGP? I keep reading it here, but don't see anything as to what it is. All I can think of is NeoGeo Pocket.
Next generation portable. It's even in the thread title.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Why would you do that? said:
What is NGP? I keep reading it here, but don't see anything as to what it is. All I can think of is NeoGeo Pocket.
Next Generation Portable, their codename for the system.

Smokey

You all need to keep your expectations in check. This is Sony. They hype shit up beyond belief before release, and then when the final rolls around people get mad.

well, the 3ds is now dead to me. that's the first time a competing product has ever killed my enthusiasm for another product BEFORE its launch.

Acid08 said:
I love MGS4 to death but I will just play the incredible PS3 version. It will look and control way better plus I won't have to play with whatever bullshit touch screen stuff they add.

Man, this is so disappointing.

I don;t think most of the things shown tonight were actual games, mostly just tech demos and internal tests.

Kaldea

Will wait for good games/price drop. Paid full price for PSP from the start and even now I rarely touch it except for the odd new game.

I don't care about specs as long as it has fun games.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Not as ugly as I thought it would be. I'll pick it up and wait sell when the redesign hits next yeat like the 3DS.

It's a great time for portable gaming :)

WHAT A NICE SURPRISE

no, wait, not surprise, i meant the other thing

still nice though. that touch pad on the back could be interesting

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Got this from SCE UK
SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCES

ITS NEXT GENERATION PORTABLE ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM

Ultimate Portable Entertainment System Makes Its Debut This Year, Further Expanding the PlayStation® Business in the Portable Gaming Market

Tokyo, January 27, 2011 - Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced its next generation portable entertainment system (codename: NGP), which delivers the ultimate portable entertainment experience. NGP will make its debut at the end of the year 2011.

NGP is designed to offer unparalleled interactive entertainment that is only possible on PlayStation®. This new system offers a revolutionary combination of rich gaming and social connectivity within a real world context, made possible by leveraging SCE's experience from both PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) and PlayStation®3 (PS3®) entertainment systems.

Deep and immersive gaming is at the core of PlayStation's DNA, and NGP is the latest embodiment of this vision. By having both Wi-Fi and 3G network connectivity, together with various applications, NGP will enable infinite possibilities for users to "encounter," "connect," "discover," "share" and "play" with friends wherever they are. Within the device are a range of features that provide a genuinely cutting-edge, next generation ultimate portable entertainment experience.

* l Stunning OLED and Revolutionary User Interface

NGP incorporates a beautiful multi-touch 5-inch organic light emitting display (OLED) as the front display. A high-performance CPU / GPU combined with OLED enables rich, visually striking graphics never seen before on a portable entertainment system, for both games and other digital entertainment content. The new system also incorporates a unique multi-touch pad on the rear, and together with the front touch display, NGP offers new game play allowing users to interact directly with games in three dimension-like motion, through "touch, grab, trace, push and pull" moves of the fingers.

* l Super Oval Design and Dual Analog Sticks

While succeeding the basic design philosophy of PSP, NGP adopts the Super Oval Design form factor, created to fit comfortably in users' hands. For the first time, a portable entertainment system will feature two analog sticks, which enable a wider range of game genres to be brought into the portable experience.

* l LiveAreaTM

Every game title for NGP will be provided with a space called "LiveAreaTM" where users can share the fun and excitement with other players. Users will have access to the latest information of games provided from SCE and 3rd party developers and publishers through PlayStation®Network. Additionally, NGP users will be able to view an "Activity" log that is constantly updated with accomplishments from users who are playing the same game, which in turn can trigger active real-time communication among users.

* l Near

SCE will also provide location-based services on NGP as part of the basic features utilizing PlayStation Network. The new application called "Near," developed specifically for this service and the network, will be pre-installed in the system to let users find out what their friends in the vicinity are playing now or what they were playing recently. Users can meet their friends and new players virtually, regardless of what games they are playing, simply by sharing their game information across different dimensions of time and distance.

* l New Game Medium

NGP adopts a new game medium, a small flash memory based card, dedicated for NGP software titles. Taking advantage of the flash memory feature, this innovative card can store the full software titles plus add-on game content or the game save data directly on to the card. By adopting flash memory based card, SCE will be able to provide game cards with higher capacity in the future, allowing developers to store more game data to deliver rich and immersive games.

NGP will also come equipped with two cameras on its front and rear, as well as three motion sensors, gyroscope, accelerometer and electronic compass, all of which are designed to enable users to enjoy the world of entertainment that is linked with real life experiences.

PlayStation®Suite (PS Suite), announced today, will also closely coordinate with NGP. The newly developed and released game content for AndroidTM based portable devices can also be enjoyed on NGP. As a result, users will have access to not only the most leading-edge content, but also some of the more casual experiences that typify the mobile market place.

SCE will vigorously promote NGP towards the launch as the next generation portable entertainment platform and deploy various measures to further expand the portable gaming market.

?Next generation portable entertainment system (codename: NGP) ?

CPU
ARM® CortexTM-A9 core (4 core)

GPU
SGX543MP4+

External Dimensions
Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)

Screen
(Touch screen)
5 inches (16:9), 960 x 544, Approx. 16 million colors, OLED
Multi touch screen (capacitive type)

Rear touch pad
Multi touch pad (capacitive type)

Cameras
Front camera, Rear camera

Sound
Built-in stereo speakers
Built-in microphone

Sensors
Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass

Wi-Fi location service support

Keys / Switches
PS button
Power button
Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left)
Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square)
Shoulder buttons (Right/Left)
Right stick, Left stick
START button, SELECT button
Volume buttons (+/-)
Wireless communications

Mobile network connectivity (3G)
IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1x1)(Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode)
Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR ?A2DP/AVRCP/HSP?

Gowans

Holy shit now thats what I want from a dedicated portable gaming system.

The fact this can play Call of Duty locks it in for success.

Danielsan

KaYotiX said:
Cant wait for the NEXT Gen Price
Ooh I don't doubt that this thing's price will be ridiculous. It will be the PS3 all over again. Eventually I will purchase both the PSP2 and the 3DS. However the systems have to bust out an interesting release lineup for me to get them near release. The 3DS already failed in that regard (waiting for Paper Mario).

Ravidrath

Hey, people?

They aren't even announcing the real name of the device - what makes you think they're going to announce a price?

54-46!

Hardware: Neat, specifications seem pretty good.. it looks fat though, I think I'll wait for a slimmer version.

Software: Meh, bunch of games I'd rather play on my PS3.. give me MGS Peace Walker and Monster Hunter Portable 3rd with updated graphics and dual analog support.

Branduil

Nirolak said:
Next Generation Portable, their codename for the system.
It could also stand for

-Nintendo's Ghetto Pwned
-No Gran turismo Portable
-National Gross Product
-Nasty Gollum's Precious

Omiee

i wake up to this sweet looking thing, man this thing looks good and the games looks awesome.
man i hope they release killzone and uncharted with the release of the psps2.
also they said it had a rear touch pad but that looks like it has a front touch screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom