• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP2 (Next Generation Portable) Announced, 2011, BC [Up3: Info In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cartman86

Banned
Kafel said:
So why does the UI have all these game bubbles ? Can the games bought at retail be copied on the system and launched without having the game cart ?

I imagine it might be like trophies. You put in a game (or download it) and once you do that the game is a part of your interface weather it's installed or not. That way you can look at your friends "walls" etc.

If it's not that it would be really cool if they did what you said. Could even do that instead of including a code or tying games to PSN account for download later. I of course would prefer getting downloadable versions as well, but allowing full installs is good enough.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I hope the speakers are good. The DS had better speakers than the PSP by far. And the volume is general is kinda weak. Step it up Sony. Audio is just as important as visuals.

Baki

Deku said:
PSPGO BC and redownloading games? Have they confirmed all titles are covered?

ie: I can redownload my existing PSP library?

PSP PSN BC. :p

And I think this has been glossed over, but its quite interesting that game carts will hold DLC/save data as opposed to being stored on the HDD.

Kadey said:
I hope the speakers are good. The DS had better speakers than the PSP by far. And the volume is general is kinda weak. Step it up Sony. Audio is just as important as visuals.

They're under your thumbs, that's my problem with them. I can't tell if it's better or worse than the underside speaker of the PSP 1000.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I like the XMB, but I think for many it's not a very 'friendly' design. I wrote about that before, relaying my experience of watching my brother play with his PS3 for the first time.

What this OS reminds me of is like some sort of hybrid of smartphone interfaces and a Nintendo interface. It has a bit of that 'Nintendo friendliness' about it. This may be no bad thing.

Kadey said:

Not particularly important to me. I can't remember ever playing my PSP without headphones.

Graphics Horse said:
Codename so far.
Nice! Wasn't too sure if they mentioned it in the meeting. E3 might be the time when they tell us the actual name for it. I wonder if they're just calling it PSP 2 or something totally different.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe this thing has cartridges, that's almost a dealbreaker.
It's really gonna depend on how sweet that launch Ridge Racer is gonna be.

Vinci

Danish
gofreak said:
I like the XMB, but I think for many it's not a very 'friendly' design. I wrote about that before, relaying my experience of watching my brother play with his PS3 for the first time.

What this OS reminds me of is like some sort of hybrid of smartphone interfaces and a Nintendo interface. It has a bit of that 'Nintendo friendliness' about it. This may be no bad thing.

I agree that it may be what they're going for, but they've done it poorly. I'm fine with friendliness, but it still needs to look sleek and professional to some extent. This looks like a Math Pop game I have on my Palm.

And no, that's not good.

1-D_FTW

Zoramon089 said:
Ugh, don't mean to derail this topic but all these talks about Nintendo being lazy are getting a bit ridiculous. Yes, they were a bit lazy with some of their decisions on the 3DS but nothing about it overall screams lack of effort. It's still a huge step up from the DS in terms of power, something that has been the staple of new iterations in consoles/handhelds since the start of gaming.

The DS and Wii, to a smaller extent, were experimental systems by Nintendo. They had strange input methods made to differentiate them from the competition and appeal to new markets. They truly were Nintendo trying to be different and innovative. Maybe that's my inner fanboy speaking but I honestly believe that. The PSP2 or NGP is not the same. Anyone who believes it's Sony trying to be innovative is fooling themselves.

After this gen Sony saw that pure power wasn't always the best answer. It let to situations like the PS3 vs the 360 where it simply came down to dev support because games between the two could easily be ported. So they decided, let's steal Nintendo's thunder. Let's make a device that covers everything theirs can do (within reason. they probably didn't anticipate 3D) and more. That's why the NGP has so many input methods and such.

Anyway, to end my rant, calling the 3DS a bad effort is a bit hypocritical, considering it's as much of a jump as nearly every system over it's predecessor has been.

The lineup is lazy. Retreads that they constantly remake, a couple N64 ports, a game that reuses all the assets from Wahu Island (Pilotwings), and a game they recycled from the scratch bin of the original DS (Steel Diver). The one game they've spent considerable resources on (Kid Icarus), seems to be fairly reviled for its cramp inducing control scheme and complete disconnect with the older game it's supposed to be a sequel to.

On the side of Nintendo vs Sony, I'm a Nintendo guy first and Sony second. And by a fairly large margin. But the videos of: Little Deviants, Gravity Daze, LBP, HSG, and Wipeout excites me a ton more than what Nintendo showed. Then factor in the fact they seem to have gotten some Kool Aid that was spiked by Pachter and completely overpriced it for it's offering, and I think criticism is warranted.

Salaadin said:
System breaks or HDD dies and theres no need to backup data. Its all on the cart. Thats all I can think of.
This also means that when I buy a game, other people in my house can't play it unless it has multiple save slots. I also can't back-up my saves to my PC, so if I lose the cart, I also lose my savedata.

Baki

Graphics Horse said:
It is true that they and THQ haven't announced support so far.

Simply not possible for existing games, but future PS3 games could theoretically be designed like that. The PS3 wouldn't be needed in the equation at that point though.

What's funny is that both THQ and EA pretty much confirmed the PSP2 existence prior to its reveal. Methinks they are much closer partners than the other western developers who were listed. Maybe each is developing a killer app for the PSP2.

Blu_LED said:
Wait, really? Why would they do that?

Sounds like an option as opposed to a mandate.

Blu_LED said:
This also means that when I buy a game, other people in my house can't play it unless it has multiple save slots. I also can't back-up my saves to my PC, so if I lose the cart, I also lose my savedata.

Never hurt Nintendo. There might be options to transfer usb data, too early to complain about.

Suzzopher

Going to have to start re-buying my UMD collection on PSN >_>

Peace Walker is only £15.99 at the moment so will have to jump on that.

Baki said:
PSP PSN BC. :p

And I think this has been glossed over, but its quite interesting that game carts will hold DLC/save data as opposed to being stored on the HDD.
I assumed it would be the same for 3DS since DS carts hold everything now. Although when DS games like Layton and DQIX say that they're downloading data are they just DL unlock keys or actual DLC?

Vinci

Danish
Baki said:
What's funny is that both THQ and EA pretty much confirmed the PSP2 existence prior to its reveal. Methinks they are much closer partners than the other western developers who were listed. Maybe each is developing a killer app for the PSP2.

Odds are, they'll port something from the HD systems. Western 3rd parties are stupidly poor on handhelds, so I doubt they'll have something altogether new for the system at or near launch. Maybe if it shows early signs of selling well, they'll put something together, but they've no reason to considering the likely cost of game development for the thing.

Baki

Vinci said:
I agree that it may be what they're going for, but they've done it poorly. I'm fine with friendliness, but it still needs to look sleek and professional to some extent. This looks like a Math Pop game I have on my Palm.

And no, that's not good.

Are you getting one Vinci?

Vinci said:
Odds are, they'll port something from the HD systems. Western 3rd parties are stupidly poor on handhelds, so I doubt they'll have something altogether new for the system at or near launch. Maybe if it shows early signs of selling well, they'll put something together, but they've no reason to considering the likely cost of game development for the thing.

That's a fair point. But SCEA has a really good relationship with both developers. They possibly have co-marketing deals with Sony.

plainr_

gofreak said:

It's simplistic yet flashy and has the cool sound effects. They definitely took after Nintendo which is a good thing these days.

Omiee

sony for the love of god let us have apps, with all that power i cant see why they wouldent let people design apps for this thing.
Ebook reader or what ever could be realy usefull.

Vinci

Danish
njean777 said:
I need a price before I commit if it's anything over 400 I'm out

The no-3G NGP won't be over $400. No damn way. It'll probably be closer to $300 for that SKU. Going over that would be silly.

Baki said:
Are you getting one Vinci?

I don't know. But then, I'm not getting a 3DS either. Not for a couple of years, at least. I have plenty to play as it is, and I'm not choosing a game-starved platform ever again. So yeah, I'll see how it shakes up. I'd like to get it, though, if the software is there. I like the design and the features, thus far.

Saint Gregory said:
I assumed it would be the same for 3DS since DS carts hold everything now. Although when DS games like Layton and DQIX say that they're downloading data are they just DL unlock keys or actual DLC?

I don't know about Dragon Quest but Layton is just an unlock code, they wouldn't be able to fit the all the custom art used on the DS card's tiny writable section. It's a different tech to what Sony are doing.

While I will admit that the tech behind this is very impressive, I can't help but think that SONY is falling in the same traps as the PSP.

- Expensive
- Expensive to develop for
-Not much else but a portable console in your hands

longdi

Banned
The bubbles UI dont look as bad in motion, seems to works like any smartphone. Just need to refine the artwork, at now it looks too gamey/kiddy for a high power device which presumably fetches a high price, targeted at the higher end audience.

Man

Flying_Phoenix said:
- Expensive
- Expensive to develop for
-Not much else but a portable console in your hands
Totally missed the PlayStation Suite/Android announcement I see (as well as the system having every imaginable control for every type of game).

Vinci

Danish
Baki said:
That's a fair point. But SCEA has a really good relationship with both developers. They possibly have co-marketing deals with Sony.

You might be right. We'll see. I'd love to be proven wrong. Western 3rd parties really need to start cultivating a presence in the handheld space, though, just to diversify themselves a bit more.

njean777 said:
I need a price before I commit if it's anything over 400 I'm out
yep. the size of the chub is predicated on the price tag.

Baron said:
If the PSP2 gets better battery life than the 3DS I will laugh for a long time. The irony.
initial reports (Sony's statement + Nintendo's commentary) suggest they will probably be within 30-40 minutes of each other in real use.

plainr_

BlueTsunami said:
When he turned it to portrait mode I laughed to myself from the awesomeness. Its like looking through a window.

I was surprised at how responsive it was. I remember trying something similar on my iPhone 4 (or was it iPad) and it was nowhere near as quick as this.

spwolf

Blu_LED said:

why wouldnt there be multiple save slots and why wouldnt you be able to backup saves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom